Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast

Thread: Botannia (D5, 956 yr, CDL / Capitaland)

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    We are letting him to go to CIS first because that is better than attending kindergarten. a promotion for him.

why take him out? because his mommy is singaporean, she doesn't want our sons to be ang mohs. more specifically, she want the kids to be bilingual, truly bilingual, not the kind of bilingual for kids that go to international schools. another reason is that CIS costs 20k per year. we have two kids, and that is 40k. my salary is high enough to cover that, but my wife wants to save money, so she can change her car every five years.
    then i propose you try to put your boys in NanHua or Clementi Primary..but you might have difficulties by balloting. Your wife did not try to do parent volunteer? Else you just donate $$$ Have you visited Qifa? Maybe you can check out the school one of these day and you will understand why I dun recommend you to put your boys into Qifa.

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    then i propose you try to put your boys in NanHua or Clementi Primary..but you might have difficulties by balloting. Your wife did not try to do parent volunteer? Else you just donate $$$ Have you visited Qifa? Maybe you can check out the school one of these day and you will understand why I dun recommend you to put your boys into Qifa.
    We saw Qifa, and it is a nice campus. the buildings are all brand new. So you cannot tell it is good or bad based on the hardware. What I don't know is the software. what have you heard? be grateful if you let me know why you are against it.

another thing. nanhua is 100% chinese, and qifa has a lot of other races mixed in.

I am moving to Dover and my kid (P1 boy) is going to Qifa starting after the June holiday. Fairfield is the nearest from where we will be staying but there was no vacancy. We contacted Qifa and the principal, Ms. Saw actually took her time to meet us in person. Eloquent and friendly lady, she is. She seemed very interested in her pupils' holistic development. The school has strong PE programmes (volleyball, basketball, table tennis, Taekwondo, etc) and an impressive library. Overall, the school looked positively vibrant with happy kids and smiling teachers. (Well, SA1 had finished, after all.)

Another thing, Ms. Saw said that quite a number of her pupils are international students. We were particulary pleased to hear that, as I am from Korea and my husband is Singaporean.

If I were in your shoes, Stalingrad, I would try balloting (Phase 2C) for either Clementi Primary or Nan Hua Pri. Academic results for those two school have been always excellent. If it fails, Qifa is not a bad school to consider for Phase 2C Supplementary.
    Last edited by kyongpar; 12-06-09 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by kyongpar
    I am moving to Dover and my kid (P1 boy) is going to Qifa starting after the June holiday. Fairfield is the nearest from where we will be staying but there was no vacancy. We contacted Qifa and the principal, Ms. Saw actually took her time to meet us in person. Eloquent and friendly lady, she is. She seemed very interested in her pupils' holistic development. The school has strong PE programmes (volleyball, basketball, table tennis, etc) and an impressive library. Overall, the school looked positvely vibrant with happy kids and smiling teachers. (Well, SA1 had finished, after all.)

Another thing, Ms. Saw said about 10% of pupils are international students. We were particulary pleased to hear that, as I am from Korea and my husband is Singaporean.

If I were in your shoe, Stalingrad, I would try balloting (Phase 2C) for either Clementi Primary or Nan Hua Pri. If it fails, Qifa is not a bad school to consider for Phase 2C Supplementary.

LOL, since when this become kaisuparents.com

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    LOL, since when this become kaisuparents.com
    Well, good schools do have positive influence on neighbouring property value, don't they?

I am moving to Dover and my kid (P1 boy) is going to Qifa starting after the June holiday. Fairfield is the nearest from where we will be staying but there was no vacancy. We contacted Qifa and the principal, Ms. Saw actually took her time to meet us in person. Eloquent and friendly lady, she is. She seemed very interested in her pupils' holistic development. The school has strong PE programmes (volleyball, basketball, table tennis, Taekwondo, etc) and an impressive library. Overall, the school looked positively vibrant with happy kids and smiling teachers. (Well, SA1 had finished, after all.)

Another thing, Ms. Saw said that quite a number of her pupils are international students. We were particulary pleased to hear that, as I am from Korea and my husband is Singaporean.

If I were in your shoes, Stalingrad, I would try balloting (Phase 2C) for either Clementi Primary or Nan Hua Pri. Academic results for those two school have been always excellent. If it fails, Qifa is not a bad school to consider for Phase 2C Supplementary.
    Thank you for the excellent information. We like Qifa too. I am not kiasu enough to commit suicide if my kids end up in Qifa. I myself came from a very bad school, and I have done alright in life. Alright enough to own a unit at Carabelle.

We have a lot in common, but with the genders switched. I am canadian, but my wife is singaporean.

yes, we will take part in 2C supplementary for Qifa if we don't get into nanhua. We don't like clementi primary because it has two sessions. my kids take naps.

One more note. nanha has a good academic record partly because gifted kids are transferred to it after P3 to be put in GEP. Nanhua is one of a few schools that offer GEP. Thus, if your kids perform well at Qifa, he will be transferred to Nanhua later on.

I myself came from a very bad school, and I have done alright in life.
    You are a sterling exception and no doubt your kid will do well wherever he is.

Today, there really is no such thing as a good/bad school. Anyone who has his mind on excelling will excel no matter what he is. But you put a great kid in a room full of other kids who are more keen on playing, truancy, and cajoling to do dumb stuff, and you'll see where that great kid ends up.

IMHO, it's not how well you do in the exams, but who you grow up with that counts. In our time, good/bad schools were differentiated by academic results. Today, there is a huge social divide in terms of attitudes.

My younger cousins and their friends that end up in bad schools take a longer route to academic normalcy and end up 50:50 in the working world. More than 3/4 of my friends from the 'better' schools are leaders of their field. Me and my peers at times even base our hiring decisions on which family of schools applicants come from. Why? They have completely different attitude to work and are self-driven.

It is untrue that better schools inculcate a stifling atmosphere of 'study like mad or die' (that's more like the girls schools ). Many good schools are well balanced, and offer things that the lower-tier govt schools do not.

While i'll never force my kid to overdo tuition and supplemental classes etc, i believe in giving the best social infrastructure that will act as a boost for the future, and not a detriment.

It is who you grow up with that defines a good part of how you will grow up - not just exam results

Well, good schools do have positive influence on neighbouring property value, don't they?

Agree. My kids all working adults already. These worries are over for me.

[quote=novel]..... Else you just donate $$$ Have you visited Qifa? quote]

aiya... moe just clarified recently that p1 places not for sale.....

P1 places not for sale
    MS HO Sulin ('Review volunteer priority for P1 places', May 25) suggested that the priority given to parent volunteers during the Primary 1 registration exercise be reviewed, and Mr Calvin Ng ('Priority scheme may widen income gap', May 27) opined that the Primary 1 registration framework was advantageous to higher-income families who could make monetary donations to schools.
    The Ministry of Education (MOE) would like to state unequivocally that the buying of school places is not allowed. All school principals are aware that under no circumstances are they to solicit or accept donations in exchange for school places.
    The current Primary 1 registration framework aims to provide children with school places according to a set of transparent criteria, guided by educational goals that serve the interest of the child.
    MOE recognises that proximity is an important consideration for parents, so that a young child does not have to travel a long distance to go to school. However, proximity is not the sole deciding criteria.
    Phase 1 of the registration exercise gives priority to parents who already have a child studying at the school of choice as this is convenient for parents, allows older siblings to help the younger child and builds school ties. Phase 2 recognises the contributions and ties that parents have with schools and communities.
    For schools to thrive, key stakeholders - such as former students, members of the school advisory committees and parent volunteers - are critical as they help build up and strengthen the school's tradition and ethos, and support its students.
    However, none of them is guaranteed a place for his child as admission is dependent on the demand for and availability of school places.
    MOE strives to enable all students, regardless of their family background and circumstances, to achieve their full potential. All our schools are well- resourced with good teachers, suitable facilities and sufficient funding for school programmes. MOE is also enhancing financial support for students through the Edusave Scheme and school-based financial assistance schemes, so that no student will be denied useful educational programmes because of his financial situation.
    Lim Huay Chih (Ms)
    Director, School Planning and Placement
    Ministry of Education

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    You are a sterling exception and no doubt your kid will do well wherever he is.

Today, there really is no such thing as a good/bad school. Anyone who has his mind on excelling will excel no matter what he is. But you put a great kid in a room full of other kids who are more keen on playing, truancy, and cajoling to do dumb stuff, and you'll see where that great kid ends up.

IMHO, it's not how well you do in the exams, but who you grow up with that counts. In our time, good/bad schools were differentiated by academic results. Today, there is a huge social divide in terms of attitudes.

My younger cousins and their friends that end up in bad schools take a longer route to academic normalcy and end up 50:50 in the working world. More than 3/4 of my friends from the 'better' schools are leaders of their field. Me and my peers at times even base our hiring decisions on which family of schools applicants come from. Why? They have completely different attitude to work and are self-driven.

It is untrue that better schools inculcate a stifling atmosphere of 'study like mad or die' (that's more like the girls schools ). Many good schools are well balanced, and offer things that the lower-tier govt schools do not.

While i'll never force my kid to overdo tuition and supplemental classes etc, i believe in giving the best social infrastructure that will act as a boost for the future, and not a detriment.

It is who you grow up with that defines a good part of how you will grow up - not just exam results
    gfoo,
    you summarize what I am hoping how the environment of my kids will grow up!

Even thou I am putting my kids in NanHua but I am aiming for well balanced education for them. I do not hope for them to be top 10, as long as they are doing fine and cultivate all the right values while growing up we (as parent) will be happy.

And I have quite afew of friends and cousins around me who are very smart but deteriorates when they were mixed with peers with bad influences.

propertyowner,

lol, you are right, we shouldn't turn this property forum into kiasuparent.com But you really can shake legs now since your kids are all grown up.

cheerful,
    I was just kidding when I asked stalin to "buy" his kids into NanHua.

Hi Stalingrad

Been following this forum and finds it pretty interesting that its turning to P1 string. Nevertheless latter issue is also a big forthcoming issue for me in couple of years time. My suggestion is to see Clementi Pri if u are ok, and then prepare to ballot 2c at both Clementi Pri and Nanhua i.e. 1 parent each place at the actual day itself to see which has vacanies towards the very end. Should get either one. Qifa can be your standby 3rd Option. (if assume popular is good, then in D05, its Nanhua, Clementi followed by indifferent Pei Tong/Qifa. Though my personal view is Pei Tong overrides Qifa but that is another matter altogether). cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jitkiat
    It will be a mistake to opt out from Higher Chinese IMO. China is fast becoming the superpower in the world. Mind you, our Higher Chinese here is the standard Chinese in Malaysia. The A-level Chinese standard here is worse than secondary school in Malaysia.
    Hi pal, I do understand the importance of learning chinese, especially been in a clan for more than 30 years. But just feel kind of strange why benchmark against Malaysia chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by whoh757
    Hi Stalingrad

Been following this forum and finds it pretty interesting that its turning to P1 string. Nevertheless latter issue is also a big forthcoming issue for me in couple of years time. My suggestion is to see Clementi Pri if u are ok, and then prepare to ballot 2c at both Clementi Pri and Nanhua i.e. 1 parent each place at the actual day itself to see which has vacanies towards the very end. Should get either one. Qifa can be your standby 3rd Option. (if assume popular is good, then in D05, its Nanhua, Clementi followed by indifferent Pei Tong/Qifa. Though my personal view is Pei Tong overrides Qifa but that is another matter altogether). cheers
    thanks. But two parents queueing at different schools? isn't that illegal?

with due respect, can we keep this thread strictly for discussion on Botannia? Not everyone here is interested in P1 registration. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by COCOCO
    with due respect, can we keep this thread strictly for discussion on Botannia? Not everyone here is interested in P1 registration. thank you.
    The botannia thread is somehow stagnent anyway.. why not spice it up?
    Pretty interesting isn't it?

A small part of me is wondering is it really necc to go to such extend for P1 registration?
    And the rest are simply fill with envy.

the market is going totally crazy. two bedders cost more for carabelle than for botannia. One two bedder for sale at carabelle is asking for $937 psf, but one two bedder for sale at botannia is asking for 837 psf. a difference of 100psf. what is happening here? can experts enlighten us?
    Hope they can get a buyer close to their asking. It will boast up the price in this area.

So far Bank val for botannia last week is 760 psf-780psf max. for 3 bdrr, OCBC.

How about Carabelle.

Quote Originally Posted by apple3
    Hi pal, I do understand the importance of learning chinese, especially been in a clan for more than 30 years. But just feel kind of strange why benchmark against Malaysia chinese?
    Yes, I have met many malaysians with excellent chinese. Many of them can speak only halting english, but when they start to speak chinese, you can't shut them up.

hi all, understand the botannia developer is having a TOP party this weekend, which means......

wow wow Both Botannia and Carabelle TOP together?!

Quote Originally Posted by mogul
    hi all, understand the botannia developer is having a TOP party this weekend, which means......
    any invitation card send

urmm, i think the TOP party is for the developer and their business partners, owners not invited...ha ha

how is the prices like for botannia now for 3bedrooms for subsales?

thanks. But two parents queueing at different schools? isn't that illegal?
    have not done it but really do not think so. u need to talk to the principals and seek kind and understanding ones i.e. rationale for how/when to actually put your kid's name in ballot. and it's of course just one ballot chance so its not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    wow wow Both Botannia and Carabelle TOP together?!
    Yes TOP very very soon

Heard developer bought a few Penthouse here
    This is good news for Botannia

Quote Originally Posted by jesmineang
    how is the prices like for botannia now for 3bedrooms for subsales?
    3 bdr yesterday transacted at 760psf mid flr with partial west SUN. 29A block.

never buy properties with west sun....

never buy condos with west sun, landed pty is another matter...

Any good Interior Design company to recommend?