Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen countertop

Default Kitchen countertop

I want to replace my kitchen countertop but no idea what type of tiles to use. Can anyone recommend? Is Quarry tiles or solid surface tiles better?

I am not sure about tiles. You mean you want to achieve those country look with tiles working top?
    Normal kitchen top material is solid surface, granite, quartz etc.
    Each has its own advantage & you should check out quartz.
    A few brands - silestone, caeserstone, iquartz etc

Default CounterTop

Black Galaxy Granite is a very popular and durable choice, if u don't mind a black coloured surface.

Ultimately, the kitchen colour scheme will dictate the material choice.

Quote Originally Posted by triple70 View Post
    Black Galaxy Granite is a very popular and durable choice, if u don't mind a black coloured surface.

Ultimately, the kitchen colour scheme will dictate the material choice.
    If one prefers a white top, then which material would you suggest ?
    Thank you

Depending if you are heavy and messy user or not. Marble top are the most pretty of all, however they are extremely porous, so its very easy to get stained, which could be permanent.

2nd choice will be granite, which has better surface stain resistance than marble, but still can get stain by acidic food stuffs.

Solid top is easiest to maintain and cheaper too, but look wise is less elegant.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Thank you everyone for your advise. One contractor advised me to use white countertop because kitchen is supposed to be hygiene and if dirty, can easily spot it but another contractor advised me to use black color because stain cannot be easily detected. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Depending if you are heavy and messy user or not. Marble top are the most pretty of all, however they are extremely porous, so its very easy to get stained, which could be permanent.

2nd choice will be granite, which has better surface stain resistance than marble, but still can get stain by acidic food stuffs.

Solid top is easiest to maintain and cheaper too, but look wise is less elegant.
    Will the solid top get stain easily too?

True, I have white kitchen marble top and it get stain easily and hard to remove if left over night without clean immediately !!!
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

You can try quartz. It is supposed to be hardy and the white is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Will the solid top get stain easily too?
    depending what kind of stain you talking abuot. red wine, juice etc are not issue and if stained, you can always scrub it off using zip.

If you family is going to do regular cooking, I would suggest to avoid all those exotic material which looks good but not durable.

For solid top, i prefer white. It makes the kitchen look cleaner
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

depending what kind of stain you talking abuot. red wine, juice etc are not issue and if stained, you can always scrub it off using zip.

If you family is going to do regular cooking, I would suggest to avoid all those exotic material which looks good but not durable.

For solid top, i prefer white. It makes the kitchen look cleaner
    Light beige is easier to maintain. Quartz is the best balance between durability, cost and aesthetic.

Kitchen top suffers tremendous abuse.
    Marble will suffer from acid attack like lime juice. Will result in a dull whitish batch.

Granites are porous too, especially those light coloured ones. Common problem is a water seepage look around the edges. But good granites like black galaxy.. seems to be very durable and maintains the original look for a very long time. Thus.. the high psf for this granite.

For light coloured look, I wld go for Crystal Beige from this series, or Andromeda (T017) from the galaxy series.

http://www.lghausys.com/eng/product/...es/granite.jsp

I sort of like the sandy effect look.. hides dirt and have a more natural look. A solid colour will show any scratches easily.

Many of those Counter top that comes with the condo these days. i.e white color. they stain very easily. I till like the darker color type counter top..... but white I must say make the kitchen look bigger and more modern.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Many of those Counter top that comes with the condo these days. i.e white color. they stain very easily. I till like the darker color type counter top..... but white I must say make the kitchen look bigger and more modern.
    They can be scrub off pretty easily. Just a standard dish washing sponge with ZIP will do the job. However over time the joint area could become a little visible due to yellowing effect.

They can be scrub off pretty easily. Just a standard dish washing sponge with ZIP will do the job. However over time the joint area could become a little visible due to yellowing effect.
    not really... stains like rust or dark sauce the etched into the surface.....
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quartz is the best, no join lines unlike marble amd granite.

Solid surface cannot tahan heat. White colour will turn yellowish as time goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynyard View Post
    Quartz is the best, no join lines unlike marble amd granite.

Solid surface cannot tahan heat. White colour will turn yellowish as time goes.

So quartz is better than solid surface in term of maintenance? Can quartz tahan heat and water? My current kitchen countertop is made of quarry tile (slightly darker green in colour), now has lots of white patches, don't know is it due to the water that seep in.

So quartz is better than solid surface in term of maintenance? Can quartz tahan heat and water? My current kitchen countertop is made of quarry tile (slightly darker green in colour), now has lots of white patches, don't know is it due to the water that seep in.
    quartz is way more durable than solid surface and fuss-free for maintennance, though it is definitely pricier. for color, please choose one that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    quartz is way more durable than solid surface and fuss-free for maintennance, though it is definitely pricier. for color, please choose one that you like.
    thanks, according to feng shui, white colour is the best but I don't quite like white colour because stain can easily be seen.

my kitchen top is cheap black/white marble, almost the same price as solid surface. very easy to maintain. My maid heavily cooks everyday and it still look like new.

Everyone seeing it says it must be very expensive, including house agents and contractors. hahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill View Post
    my kitchen top is cheap black/white marble, almost the same price as solid surface. very easy to maintain. My maid heavily cooks everyday and it still look like new.

Everyone seeing it says it must be very expensive, including house agents and contractors. hahaha....
    Do you still have the contact of your contractor? My contractor only has solid surface only and it cost about $1700+ for my 16ft countertop. I only need to change the countertop but not the cabinets.

Do you still have the contact of your contractor? My contractor only has solid surface only and it cost about $1700+ for my 16ft countertop. I only need to change the countertop but not the cabinets.
    i should have the old contract at home, will check for u tonight.

I got my black indian galaxy from here:

BMS Marble
    #01-407, 5038 Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2, (S)569541

marble is propose right?

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

i should have the old contract at home, will check for u tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl6
    I got my black indian galaxy from here:

BMS Marble
    #01-407, 5038 Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2, (S)569541
    Thanks. Only marble? Do they have quartz as well?

Hi, I could not find the contractor's Handphone No, but you may try to call 65571950 (A-space design & Contract), look for Xin Ming.

I am not sure if he has quartz, as it was not popular four years ago. anyway, I haven't encountered any problem with marble.

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    marble is propose right?
    yes, for top, I like marble, for flooring, I like timber.

Hi, I could not find the contractor's Handphone No, but you may try to call 65571950 (A-space design & Contract), look for Xin Ming.

I am not sure if he has quartz, as it was not popular four years ago. anyway, I haven't encountered any problem with marble.
    Thank you.

There was once I put 6 packets of milo drink which I bought from JB at the corner of my marble floor, somehow don't know why, few days later, 2 of the packs expanded and leak, by the time we realised were too late, the milo had already seeped right into the marble, now has a big stain on it. Anyway to get rid of the stain?

How about kitchen sink, stainless steel or granite?