Page 1 of 26 123456111621 ... LastLast

Thread: STOCKS THREAD

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Default STOCKS THREAD

For all stocks and related discussions (including stock futures, ETFs, etc)......

US market closed tonight.
    Europe playing out.........

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    For all stocks and related discussions (including stock futures, ETFs, etc)......

US market closed tonight.
    Europe playing out.........
    any tips for STI tomorrow ?

Stock return is better than bond. But because of our human weak emotional trading behaviour , 90% will not make any money in long run.

When I buy stock using CPF, I will chose safety as 1st priority. No speculative stock. Only blue chip undervalue stock or buy when there is fear in the stock mkt.

I hesitate buying Singpost using CPF when the price was 1.18. Price is 1.50.
    But I bought OUE @2.25 as it is undervalue & the low downside risk. It has high upside return potential. Just need to be very very patience.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    Stock return is better than bond. But because of our human weak emotional trading behaviour , 90% will not make any money in long run.

When I buy stock using CPF, I will chose safety as 1st priority. No speculative stock. Only blue chip undervalue stock or buy when there is fear in the stock mkt.

I hesitate buying Singpost using CPF when the price was 1.18. Price is 1.50.
    But I bought OUE @2.25 as it is undervalue & the low downside risk. It has high upside return potential. Just need to be very very patience.
    1.18 for Singpost was ages ago
    Now suffering from indigestion

Support now at 1.4

OUE neutral

Yes 90% will not make money from stock

To be in that top 5% is not easy because many a times you have to play against FEAR and of course knowing some charting knowledge does helps

IMHO
    Because the Bulls had been running for quite a while now and US is at her ALL TIME high it is not a time for investment but do short term punting/trading

Sometimes have to buy high and sell higher (Momentum trading)
    All with FFF

Spotting winner also not easy unless you are the MM or private banker to that particular counter

FFF = Fastest Finger First

No sorry, I shun STI................
    Singapore SGX is quite a hopeless market (IMHO)..........

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    any tips for STI tomorrow ?

Trading is not easy.............
    Turn to mid- to longer-term investment, most can make money (even if profit % not so high, but can sleep well at night)..............
    I do both..................

1.18 for Singpost was ages ago
    Now suffering from indigestion

Support now at 1.4

OUE neutral

Yes 90% will not make money from stock

To be in that top 5% is not easy because many a times you have to play against FEAR and of course knowing some charting knowledge does helps

IMHO
    Because the Bulls had been running for quite a while now and US is at her ALL TIME high it is not a time for investment but do short term punting/trading

Sometimes have to buy high and sell higher (Momentum trading)
    All with FFF

Spotting winner also not easy unless you are the MM or private banker to that particular counter

FFF = Fastest Finger First

No sorry, I shun STI................
    Singapore SGX is quite a hopeless market (IMHO)..........
    Teddy Sir

if you look hard enough there are counters worth some punting

To Invest now is not the right time

Remember the Cycle ?

Bear to Bull and to bear and back to bull

Where are we now ?...answer is obvious

There are a lot of counters starting with capital C worth looking at. Short term, hit and run type

One of which is Cordlife (not a call to buy hor)

Just like last Friday saw Sinarmas Land (posted so no hindsight trading)
    took a bite in the morning before it went up and probably let go tomorrow

Of course it is very tedious because have to watch the LIVE Actions before taking the bite

Trading is not easy.............
    Turn to mid- to longer-term investment, most can make money (even if profit % not so high, but can sleep well at night)..............
    I do both..................
    Its a matter of Getting used to it

but don't try if do not have the experience because you will be controlled by the market psychology (loss lots of money or people say PAY SCHOOL FEES to acquire such experiences)

you are right, I didn't look into SGX counters now....

Teddy Sir

if you look hard enough there are counters worth some punting

To Invest now is not the right time

Remember the Cycle ?

Bear to Bull and to bear and back to bull

Where are we now ?...answer is obvious

There are a lot of counters starting with capital C worth looking at. Short term, hit and run type

One of which is Cordlife (not a call to buy hor)

Just like last Friday saw Sinarmas Land (posted so no hindsight trading)
    took a bite in the morning before it went up and probably let go tomorrow

Of course it is very tedious because have to watch the LIVE Actions before taking the bite

Jun 2014 appears to be very interesting for stocks since "Sell in May and go away" didn't pan out as many people expected, and S&P above 1900.

Target year end S&P >2050?..............................

Opportunity for punting, hold a few weeks till a few months or up to few years always there e.g. HPH Trust USD .. ride @ your own risk

Three of Li's businesses have also underperformed the broader market since their IPOs. Hutchison Port Holdings Trust has tumbled 37 percent since its Singapore IPO in March 2011. Hui Xian Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) has dropped 34.5 percent since its Hong Kong listing in April 2011 and HK Electric Investments is down 10.1 percent since its January listing.

Date of change of Interest 19/03/2012
    2. The change in the percentage level From 11.98 % To 10.93 %
    3. Circumstance(s) giving rise to the interest or change in interest # Others

Temasek has a deemed interest in units in Hutchison Port Holdings Trust ("Units") due to holdings of its subsidiaries and associated companies.

Li Ka Shing IPO HPH Trust @ book value, crashed until 0.5/0.6 book value (buy back??)
    Last edited by phantom_opera; 27-05-14 at 17:32.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

so now can we confirm buy in may and chiong away?

!!! BUY !!!

Ha ha ha!
    S&P 2000 coming the way!...........

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    !!! BUY !!!

Usually "Sell in May and go away" happens.
    When it doesn't, it means "Cheong all the way to Dec"!

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    so now can we confirm buy in may and chiong away?

Successful IPO of JD.COM at USD19 and now at USD23 boosted market next is Alibaba

M&A buzz word returns

Default Avoid Thailand and Thai stocks!

Stock call: Avoid Thailand and Thai stocks!

=======================================
    Thai military rulers appoint advisers, shorten curfew

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 11:48
    Reuters
    BANGKOK - Thailand's military rulers have appointed as advisers two powerful retired generals with palace connections and a deep antagonism towards former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is at the heart of the country's long-running political crisis.

Nearly a week after taking power to end months of anti-government protests, the military can expect gloomy economic news on Wednesday with trade and factory output data, but it has relaxed a curfew, hoping to show things are getting back to normal.

The team of advisers announced in a brief statement late on Tuesday includes a former defence minister, General Prawit Wongsuwan, and former army chief General Anupong Paochinda.

The two are towering figures in Thailand's military establishment and have close ties to coup leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

All three are staunch monarchists and helped oust Thaksin in a 2006 coup.

A Reuters report in December revealed that Prawit and Anupong had secretly backed the anti-government protests that undermined the government of Thaksin's sister, Yingluck Shinawatra. She was removed by a court on May 7 for abuse of power and the coup ousted remaining ministers on May 22.

Also among the advisers is Pridiyathorn Devakula, overseeing the economy. A former central banker, he was finance minister in an interim government after the 2006 coup when strict capital controls were introduced to hold down the baht, causing the stock market to plunge 15 per cent in one day.

The economy shrank 2.1 per cent in the first quarter of 2014 as the debilitating anti-Yingluck protests damaged confidence, consumption and investment.

Wednesday's data is likely to show industrial output fell for the 13th straight month in April and that imports tumbled 18.2 per cent from a year before. Exports may have risen marginally, according to a Reuters poll of economists, but not enough to offset the depression in the domestic economy.

The military has moved quickly to tackle economic problems, notably preparing payments for hundreds of thousands of rice farmers that the ousted government was unable to make.

The military has also tried to stifle resistance to the coup. Scores of politicians and activists have been detained since the takeover on May 22 and censorship imposed, although a seven-hour curfew it imposed from 10pm each night will from Wednesday be shortened to four hours from midnight.

There have been daily, peaceful protests against the coup in Bangkok with crowds calling for elections and confronting troops, although the number of protesters had dwindled to about 200 on Tuesday from about 1,000 on Sunday.

General Prayuth has not set an election date, saying broad reforms were needed first.

Thaksin has not commented on the coup expect to say he was saddened and hoped the military would treat everyone fairly.

Ms Yingluck has been released from detention but remains under some restrictions, officers and aides say.

Soldiers detained a former education minister, Chaturon Chaisang, on Wednesday after he had emerged from hiding to denounce the coup, saying it would only worsen conflict. He said people in detention were not being treated badly.

Years of political turmoil have polarised Thailand. The Shinawatras' strength is in the north and northeast, populous regions that have won them every election since 2001.

Some Thaksin loyalists had vowed to resist a coup and the army and police are hunting for weapons. Many Bangkok voters support the establishment and approve of the coup if it means ending Thaksin's influence. They say he is corrupt and disrespectful to the monarchy, which he denies.

Most Thais express steadfast loyalty to 86-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej. "This is a good coup," said Chanchai Thonprasertvej, 54, a doctor at a small pro-coup gathering at Bangkok's Democracy Monument on Tuesday. "The army can protect the land and the king. It will protect my country from Thaksin."

Alibaba eyes South-east Asia e-commerce with $312.5m SingPost stake.

Miss the big opportunities to buy Singpost. Last yr, one of my friend was talking about Singpost will be a big e-commerce players.

Buying online will be eventually very popular. Singpost will definitely benefit from the e-commerce biz. I am not sure whether there will be a need for more shop to sell good at shopping mall in the near future.

Miss the big opportunities to buy Singpost. Last yr, one of my friend was talking about Singpost will be a big e-commerce players.

Buying online will be eventually very popular. Singpost will definitely benefit from the e-commerce biz. I am not sure whether there will be a need for more shop to sell good at shopping mall in the near future.
    Wow

did not know about this news

Today closing very swee....

show both Piercing Line and Rising 3 Methods formations

put into my watchlist
    may have to buy high and sell higher

Those goods that are standard and well-known items, like Apple's iPhone, iPad, can just buy from reputable stores online, so don't need physical stores.
    Even books too! That is why Amazon doing roaring business while Borders closed down.
    The rise of e-commerce business is like to result in many empty commercial retail shops in future!

Comments from an experienced finance expert:
    "Most of the REITS in Singapore are too highly geared and are negative cashflow. I would not recommend any."

Can MGM break out from the White Line ?

Possibility very high

can see the smiley face there

NUAN
    Is the break out from Straight light purple line for Real ?

MA Dark purple, green, yellow and green seems to be converging together
    to set off some explosion

Worth a watch

I like Goog

but too poor to play it

Now down 2.78 at 563.17

Singpost gap up on opening to 1.71. Alibaba taking a 10.35% stake in Singpost for $312.5m or $1.42 a share.

Comments from an experienced finance expert:
    "Most of the REITS in Singapore are too highly geared and are negative cashflow. I would not recommend any."
    hold long term probably not, buy at the right time sell after a few months ok

also 10% REIT in a n ETF portfolio for US stocks proven to be better historically and sometimes REITs correlate negatively with index stocks

After 30% US withholding tax?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    hold long term probably not, buy at the right time sell after a few months ok

also 10% REIT in a n ETF portfolio for US stocks proven to be better historically and sometimes REITs correlate negatively with index stocks

Default Why I feel Singapore stock market is a Mickey-mouse market....

Why I feel Singapore stock market is a Mickey-mouse market and I have no interest in their listed stocks....
    These kind of things happened just too many times before release of significant events news, even for blue chips stocks............

PUBLISHED MAY 29, 2014
    Include SingPost and others in any trading probe
    BYR SIVANITHY

NEWS that there may be closer scrutiny of recent trading in the shares of SMRT and ComfortDelgro would be welcomed by many in the market who have been outraged at the way these counters moved before the government's radical reforms of the transport sector were unveiled last week, reforms which are widely seen as being positive for both companies.
    Both counters started moving weeks ago - in SMRT's case, by as much as 20 per cent on April 24 when it was queried by Singapore Exchange (SGX) - and remained firm until last week's announcement.
    In the interim, there was widespread speculation of an impending transport sector revamp which, as it turned out, proved accurate. To add to claims of a leak, both stocks jumped again on May 20, the day before the news was issued.
    If some parties benefited from advance knowledge of the announcement, as is suggested by the sudden price gains, and if the authorities were to scrutinise the trades before and after May 21, then it is worth pointing out that there are also several other recent developments which merit closer attention, starting with the most obvious - yesterday's news that Chinese Internet firm Alibaba is buying into SingPost.