Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 745

Thread: STOCKS THREAD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default STOCKS THREAD

    For all stocks and related discussions (including stock futures, ETFs, etc)......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    US market closed tonight.
    Europe playing out.........

    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    For all stocks and related discussions (including stock futures, ETFs, etc)......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    US market closed tonight.
    Europe playing out.........
    any tips for STI tomorrow ?

  4. #4

    Default

    Stock return is better than bond. But because of our human weak emotional trading behaviour , 90% will not make any money in long run.

    When I buy stock using CPF, I will chose safety as 1st priority. No speculative stock. Only blue chip undervalue stock or buy when there is fear in the stock mkt.

    I hesitate buying Singpost using CPF when the price was 1.18. Price is 1.50.
    But I bought OUE @2.25 as it is undervalue & the low downside risk. It has high upside return potential. Just need to be very very patience.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    Stock return is better than bond. But because of our human weak emotional trading behaviour , 90% will not make any money in long run.

    When I buy stock using CPF, I will chose safety as 1st priority. No speculative stock. Only blue chip undervalue stock or buy when there is fear in the stock mkt.

    I hesitate buying Singpost using CPF when the price was 1.18. Price is 1.50.
    But I bought OUE @2.25 as it is undervalue & the low downside risk. It has high upside return potential. Just need to be very very patience.
    1.18 for Singpost was ages ago
    Now suffering from indigestion

    Support now at 1.4

    OUE neutral

    Yes 90% will not make money from stock

    To be in that top 5% is not easy because many a times you have to play against FEAR and of course knowing some charting knowledge does helps


    IMHO
    Because the Bulls had been running for quite a while now and US is at her ALL TIME high it is not a time for investment but do short term punting/trading

    Sometimes have to buy high and sell higher (Momentum trading)
    All with FFF

    Spotting winner also not easy unless you are the MM or private banker to that particular counter


    FFF = Fastest Finger First

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    No sorry, I shun STI................
    Singapore SGX is quite a hopeless market (IMHO)..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    any tips for STI tomorrow ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    Trading is not easy.............
    Turn to mid- to longer-term investment, most can make money (even if profit % not so high, but can sleep well at night)..............
    I do both..................

    Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    1.18 for Singpost was ages ago
    Now suffering from indigestion

    Support now at 1.4

    OUE neutral

    Yes 90% will not make money from stock

    To be in that top 5% is not easy because many a times you have to play against FEAR and of course knowing some charting knowledge does helps


    IMHO
    Because the Bulls had been running for quite a while now and US is at her ALL TIME high it is not a time for investment but do short term punting/trading

    Sometimes have to buy high and sell higher (Momentum trading)
    All with FFF

    Spotting winner also not easy unless you are the MM or private banker to that particular counter


    FFF = Fastest Finger First

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    No sorry, I shun STI................
    Singapore SGX is quite a hopeless market (IMHO)..........
    Teddy Sir

    if you look hard enough there are counters worth some punting

    To Invest now is not the right time

    Remember the Cycle ?

    Bear to Bull and to bear and back to bull

    Where are we now ?...answer is obvious

    There are a lot of counters starting with capital C worth looking at. Short term, hit and run type

    One of which is Cordlife (not a call to buy hor)

    Just like last Friday saw Sinarmas Land (posted so no hindsight trading)
    took a bite in the morning before it went up and probably let go tomorrow

    Of course it is very tedious because have to watch the LIVE Actions before taking the bite

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Trading is not easy.............
    Turn to mid- to longer-term investment, most can make money (even if profit % not so high, but can sleep well at night)..............
    I do both..................
    Its a matter of Getting used to it

    but don't try if do not have the experience because you will be controlled by the market psychology (loss lots of money or people say PAY SCHOOL FEES to acquire such experiences)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    you are right, I didn't look into SGX counters now....


    Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    Teddy Sir

    if you look hard enough there are counters worth some punting

    To Invest now is not the right time

    Remember the Cycle ?

    Bear to Bull and to bear and back to bull

    Where are we now ?...answer is obvious

    There are a lot of counters starting with capital C worth looking at. Short term, hit and run type

    One of which is Cordlife (not a call to buy hor)

    Just like last Friday saw Sinarmas Land (posted so no hindsight trading)
    took a bite in the morning before it went up and probably let go tomorrow

    Of course it is very tedious because have to watch the LIVE Actions before taking the bite

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    Jun 2014 appears to be very interesting for stocks since "Sell in May and go away" didn't pan out as many people expected, and S&P above 1900.

    Target year end S&P >2050?..............................

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    Opportunity for punting, hold a few weeks till a few months or up to few years always there e.g. HPH Trust USD .. ride @ your own risk

    Three of Li's businesses have also underperformed the broader market since their IPOs. Hutchison Port Holdings Trust has tumbled 37 percent since its Singapore IPO in March 2011. Hui Xian Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) has dropped 34.5 percent since its Hong Kong listing in April 2011 and HK Electric Investments is down 10.1 percent since its January listing.



    Date of change of Interest 19/03/2012
    2. The change in the percentage level From 11.98 % To 10.93 %
    3. Circumstance(s) giving rise to the interest or change in interest # Others

    Temasek has a deemed interest in units in Hutchison Port Holdings Trust ("Units") due to holdings of its subsidiaries and associated companies.

    Li Ka Shing IPO HPH Trust @ book value, crashed until 0.5/0.6 book value (buy back??)
    Last edited by phantom_opera; 27th May 2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

  13. #13

    Default

    so now can we confirm buy in may and chiong away?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    !!! BUY !!!
    Ride at your own risk !!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    Ha ha ha!
    S&P 2000 coming the way!...........

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    !!! BUY !!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default

    Usually "Sell in May and go away" happens.
    When it doesn't, it means "Cheong all the way to Dec"!


    Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    so now can we confirm buy in may and chiong away?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    Successful IPO of JD.COM at USD19 and now at USD23 boosted market next is Alibaba
    Ride at your own risk !!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,926

    Default

    M&A buzz word returns

    Ride at your own risk !!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,797

    Default Avoid Thailand and Thai stocks!

    Stock call: Avoid Thailand and Thai stocks!


    =======================================
    Thai military rulers appoint advisers, shorten curfew


    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 11:48
    Reuters
    BANGKOK - Thailand's military rulers have appointed as advisers two powerful retired generals with palace connections and a deep antagonism towards former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is at the heart of the country's long-running political crisis.

    Nearly a week after taking power to end months of anti-government protests, the military can expect gloomy economic news on Wednesday with trade and factory output data, but it has relaxed a curfew, hoping to show things are getting back to normal.

    The team of advisers announced in a brief statement late on Tuesday includes a former defence minister, General Prawit Wongsuwan, and former army chief General Anupong Paochinda.

    The two are towering figures in Thailand's military establishment and have close ties to coup leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

    All three are staunch monarchists and helped oust Thaksin in a 2006 coup.

    A Reuters report in December revealed that Prawit and Anupong had secretly backed the anti-government protests that undermined the government of Thaksin's sister, Yingluck Shinawatra. She was removed by a court on May 7 for abuse of power and the coup ousted remaining ministers on May 22.

    Also among the advisers is Pridiyathorn Devakula, overseeing the economy. A former central banker, he was finance minister in an interim government after the 2006 coup when strict capital controls were introduced to hold down the baht, causing the stock market to plunge 15 per cent in one day.

    The economy shrank 2.1 per cent in the first quarter of 2014 as the debilitating anti-Yingluck protests damaged confidence, consumption and investment.

    Wednesday's data is likely to show industrial output fell for the 13th straight month in April and that imports tumbled 18.2 per cent from a year before. Exports may have risen marginally, according to a Reuters poll of economists, but not enough to offset the depression in the domestic economy.

    The military has moved quickly to tackle economic problems, notably preparing payments for hundreds of thousands of rice farmers that the ousted government was unable to make.

    The military has also tried to stifle resistance to the coup. Scores of politicians and activists have been detained since the takeover on May 22 and censorship imposed, although a seven-hour curfew it imposed from 10pm each night will from Wednesday be shortened to four hours from midnight.

    There have been daily, peaceful protests against the coup in Bangkok with crowds calling for elections and confronting troops, although the number of protesters had dwindled to about 200 on Tuesday from about 1,000 on Sunday.

    General Prayuth has not set an election date, saying broad reforms were needed first.

    Thaksin has not commented on the coup expect to say he was saddened and hoped the military would treat everyone fairly.

    Ms Yingluck has been released from detention but remains under some restrictions, officers and aides say.

    Soldiers detained a former education minister, Chaturon Chaisang, on Wednesday after he had emerged from hiding to denounce the coup, saying it would only worsen conflict. He said people in detention were not being treated badly.

    Years of political turmoil have polarised Thailand. The Shinawatras' strength is in the north and northeast, populous regions that have won them every election since 2001.

    Some Thaksin loyalists had vowed to resist a coup and the army and police are hunting for weapons. Many Bangkok voters support the establishment and approve of the coup if it means ending Thaksin's influence. They say he is corrupt and disrespectful to the monarchy, which he denies.

    Most Thais express steadfast loyalty to 86-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej. "This is a good coup," said Chanchai Thonprasertvej, 54, a doctor at a small pro-coup gathering at Bangkok's Democracy Monument on Tuesday. "The army can protect the land and the king. It will protect my country from Thaksin."

  20. #20

    Default

    Alibaba eyes South-east Asia e-commerce with $312.5m SingPost stake.

    Miss the big opportunities to buy Singpost. Last yr, one of my friend was talking about Singpost will be a big e-commerce players.

    Buying online will be eventually very popular. Singpost will definitely benefit from the e-commerce biz. I am not sure whether there will be a need for more shop to sell good at shopping mall in the near future.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •