Thread: Is green roof for landed property allowed?

Default Is green roof for landed property allowed?

Looking at the kind of weather we have recently I would imagine that the heat within landed property must be unbearable if you dont turn your aircon full blast.

What actually surprise me is why landed property owners doesnt want to build a roof top garden to help contain the heat? Is it because of BCA restriction?
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

There are planters in the roof top.
    You can put plants there.

Turning the whole roof terrace into a garden is possible but the problem lies with the drainage.
    If you have soil, you need a proper drainage system.
    The drainage pipes from the roof terrace may not be unable to withstand the soil flowing down it during a downpour.

With good roof insulation, the heat transmitted into the landed house should not be any different from that of an apartment.

Default Rooftop Gardens

Experimented on my roof terrace. Was also observing HDB efforts on carpark building roof tops. Gave up.

The heat on the roof terrace is extreme. Plants cannot withstand the heat, and will wither and die. Watering does not lower the heat the plants are exposed to.
    Heat is from all sides, top, sides, even the soil is hot after a while. as the sun rays hits the side of the pots.
    Tried to cluster all the pots together, so they provide shade to each other. No difference. Tried to use bigger pots, act as greater moisture store, also no difference. Bringing bigger pots with more soil up to roof terrace is not a simple task.

Heat resistant plants typically have small leaves, not much shading effect.
    After much analysis, only mature trees in huge planters can mitigate the heat, or install ugly netting like Far East Flora outdoor area. If there is going to be a forest up there, not much space left to use as roof terrace,

I gave up. Wanna reduce heat, just use those wooden square tiles on plastic backing sold at DIY shop to act as a additional layer of insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by triple70 View Post
    Experimented on my roof terrace. Was also observing HDB efforts on carpark building roof tops. Gave up.

The heat on the roof terrace is extreme. Plants cannot withstand the heat, and will wither and die. Watering does not lower the heat the plants are exposed to.
    Heat is from all sides, top, sides, even the soil is hot after a while. as the sun rays hits the side of the pots.
    Tried to cluster all the pots together, so they provide shade to each other. No difference. Tried to use bigger pots, act as greater moisture store, also no difference. Bringing bigger pots with more soil up to roof terrace is not a simple task.

Heat resistant plants typically have small leaves, not much shading effect.
    After much analysis, only mature trees in huge planters can mitigate the heat, or install ugly netting like Far East Flora outdoor area. If there is going to be a forest up there, not much space left to use as roof terrace,

I gave up. Wanna reduce heat, just use those wooden square tiles on plastic backing sold at DIY shop to act as a additional layer of insulation.
    I have seen some condo projects who have great success in green roof, and they even collect rain water to use them to their landscaping. I guess this all depends on the design of the roof.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Default Green Roofs

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    I have seen some condo projects who have great success in green roof, and they even collect rain water to use them to their landscaping. I guess this all depends on the design of the roof.
    Those are mandated by BCA under their Green Mark Certification program. Those green walls also require a 6 digit budget and cranes/ boom lifts to install. No way landed can afford to install them, as well as the the required maintenance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by triple70 View Post
    Those are mandated by BCA under their Green Mark Certification program. Those green walls also require a 6 digit budget and cranes/ boom lifts to install. No way landed can afford to install them, as well as the the required maintenance issues.

I mean green roof not vertical garden.