Thread: Decoupling of HDB

Default Decoupling of HDB

I am not sure if this is posted before. Does anyone here had decouple their HDB and I would like to know what are the cost involved in doing this. Eg. Legal fee, stamp duty etc.

i thought for HDB you need to have both husband and wife in order to own it?

Divorced can. Siblings/ parents owners not sure.
    Just Do It! 要拼才会赢!

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs View Post
    i thought for HDB you need to have both husband and wife in order to own it?
    Sorry what i meant is "transfer of ownership".

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Sorry what i meant is "transfer of ownership".
    i think you may transfer ownership to your spouse and become occupier.

you may purchase another property without having to pay ABSD, provided you pay back all loan or outstanding cpf.

This is what I know.

I may be wrong. Any thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Werther View Post
    i think you may transfer ownership to your spouse and become occupier.

you may purchase another property without having to pay ABSD, provided you pay back all loan or outstanding cpf.

This is what I know.

I may be wrong. Any thoughts anyone?
    You are correct. It can be done but the hdb will be locked down by seller ssd. Cost i think is minimal like within $1k as hdb stamp duties are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
    You are correct. It can be done but the hdb will be locked down by seller ssd. Cost i think is minimal like within $1k as hdb stamp duties are cheap.
    Wow. That's cheap ! wonder is there are many who are doing it?

those who can afford condo have probably already done it given the rise in hdb addressed buyers even in prime districts.

another issue is your spouse needs to pay you back ALL the cpf contributions + interest which you had contributed to the hdb.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Wow. That's cheap ! wonder is there are many who are doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    those who can afford condo have probably already done it given the rise in hdb addressed buyers even in prime districts.

another issue is your spouse needs to pay you back ALL the cpf contributions + interest which you had contributed to the hdb.
    I think the other issue is the next property is going to be bought under sole name. can't use spouse cpf... that may be the killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post

if for example the husband transfer ownership to the housewife, does the housewife need to pay back all the cpf contributions to the husband's cpf? or is it the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by Werther View Post
    I think the other issue is the next property is going to be bought under sole name. can't use spouse cpf... that may be the killer too.
    Actually if the 2nd property is meant as investment.. Shouldn't use cpf to pay. Best to fund with cash.

on paper, the housewife has to pay back all the cpf contributions to the husband's cpf by 1) wiping out all her cpf and then 2) the balance pay in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by cartman View Post
    if for example the husband transfer ownership to the housewife, does the housewife need to pay back all the cpf contributions to the husband's cpf? or is it the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Actually if the 2nd property is meant as investment.. Shouldn't use cpf to pay. Best to fund with cash.
    Ordinary CPF only generates a pathetic 2.5% interest, with min sum. For investment purpose, I would rather fund the monthly loan instalment using CPF, and the net rental cash generated can be deployed for other purposes, such as creating an equity buffer for UK properties. Haha......

Any idea how long does it take to do this?Tx

Quote Originally Posted by abkt View Post
    Any idea how long does it take to do this?Tx
    About 3 months... it seems quite common since some time ago...see this link for a "tutorial"...
    http://jkfund.blogspot.sg/2014/06/hd...household.html

Hi Archchon.... thanks for sharing the above link... and ermm... the above article may not be entirely true for HDB... no offense intended...
    I was told by HDB officer that it is case by case scenario and it can be fairly complex... Good luck to those who are attempting this path...

Quote Originally Posted by limfc View Post
    Hi Archchon.... thanks for sharing the above link... and ermm... the above article may not be entirely true for HDB... no offense intended...
    I was told by HDB officer that it is case by case scenario and it can be fairly complex... Good luck to those who are attempting this path...
    It is fairly straightforward. If fully paid and MOP easier. My neighbour has done that before with loan pending.

Use HDB website to check for eligibility officially. They will then inform you by post whether eligible. Take letter down to the hdb branch with all co owners and a blank cheque (supposing CPF insufficient).

Pay a marginal sum (within a couple of hundreds) for stamp fees and get a print out of estimated sums involved for whole transaction.

Wait a couple more months for completion. Final letter would inform about the completion.

Better to do or not to do, this question leave it to you better.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.