Thread: how to pick the right landed property to buy?

Default how to pick the right landed property to buy?

hi all! can anyone share with me how to pick the right landed property to buy in singapore and why landed vs. condos? tx!

First need to ask yourself why you want to buy landed.

1. Need to show off.
    2. Need to use it for business in the event of cash flow problem.
    3. Like big dog and need a big garden for them to run.
    4. Don't like to share swimming pool with others.
    5. Like to gardening....... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    First need to ask yourself why you want to buy landed.

1. Need to show off.
    2. Need to use it for business in the event of cash flow problem.
    3. Like big dog and need a big garden for them to run.
    4. Don't like to share swimming pool with others.
    5. Like to gardening....... etc.

1. There is nothing to show off if you are staying in a small terrace house. The conditions may even be worse off than if you stay in a nice condo. Small terrace houses very often have small lanes and you are constantly faced with parking problems. Neighbours may have attitude problem. Worse thing is your left, right and backyard are just adjacent to ur neighbours and they can give u headache if they are not nice.

2. Cash flow problem - I think it is harder to sell landed than condo cos you are limited to locals only.

3. This point I agree. But small inter terrace doesn't cater well to big dogs.

4. Provided you have a big land. Small inter- terrace have no room for pool unless u build it on the roof terrace but that may result in leak if it is defective, and therefore not advisable.

5. Gardening can be done in condo too.

My personal preferences for landed:

1) The lane outside the gate must be wide enough not to have frequent traffic congestion. Driving in/out of your house must be easy and not stressful since its going to be a daily affair.

2) Legal side parkings should be allowed outside the house. There are some landeds with a solid white line drawn in the middle and do not allow side parking outside the houses. Very troublesome if you have visitors or deliveries (although not v often we would be expecting them).

3) Very wide frontage. Unfortunately, many big plots of lands which used to be occupied by a single house have now been sliced into very thin and narrow plots. The resultant are very long and thin houses with very boring and typical layouts (1st floor - Living room in front, dining room in the middle, kitchen and granny's room behind; 2nd and 3rd floor - 1 bedroom in front & 1 bedroom behind; 4th floor - 1 roof-top "garden" which is seldom utilized). I personally find the old landed houses with the conventional roof more charming and designed with taste.

4) Finally, it would be great to have a decent sized garden for my doggies to run around, for me to plant trees and do gardening. Of cos having a big garden would mean either the land must be very big or you sacrifice on the built-in space. The trend nowadays for the newly-built landed is to have very limitied or zero garden space but maximum built-in space.

To me, staying in a landed means i must have this landed feel. Looking out from my living room must allow me to see the greeneries and trees. Otherwise, I thought its better off staying in a condo. But diff folks diff strokes, and most ppl i know choose landed over condo because they need the space (built in space with many bedrooms).