Thread: Many problems, so DBSS flat owners may get goodwill package

Default Many problems, so DBSS flat owners may get goodwill package

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...ckage-20150515

Many problems, so DBSS flat owners may get goodwill package

Complaints about flats in Clementi include poor quality laminate flooring

Published on May 15, 2015 1:38 AM

By Lim Yi Han

RESIDENTS of the Trivelis development in Clementi may get a goodwill package after complaining about problems with their new premium flats.

Their Member of Parliament Sim Ann told over 200 residents at a townhall meeting last night at the Trivelis pavilion that the developer has agreed to look into giving a package, though she did not have details of what it includes.

The 888-unit Design, Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS) project is developed by local firm EL Development (ELD).

Trivelis was advertised as having "choice fittings" and "quality floor finishes".

A unit costs between $370,000 and $800,000.

But some of the owners, who started collecting their keys in January, found various problems with their units - from defective stove knobs and rusty dish racks to poor quality laminate flooring and even shower glass panels that shattered easily.

The common corridor along 40 units was also prone to flooding with 4cm-deep water when it pours. The water seeped into several units.

Some units also differ from the showflats. For instance, there was no sanitary pipe in the service yard in the showflat but such pipes were eventually placed there.

Ms Sim told reporters yesterday at the two-hour meeting with residents: "Right from day one, when residents started moving in, we realised that there were quite a number of issues that residents felt disappointed by.

"Having met many of them and also visited many of their homes, I feel that many of our residents do have a point... I feel that a meaningful gesture from the developer would change things.

"(On Wednesday), we were informed by the developer that they are considering some sort of package... I think that's a move in the right direction."

When contacted yesterday, a spokesman for ELD said it is in touch with the Trivelis Residents Working Committee to discuss what could be done for residents on a goodwill basis.

He also told The Straits Times that ELD has received about 300 e-mails from residents, but that not all were complaints.

He assured residents that ELD would continue to repair or replace defective items, and engage them.

"We have tried our best to deliver the units in good condition to our residents. However, there will be lapses on defects that we may have not covered," said the spokesman.

"We deeply regret that we have failed to meet the expectation of the residents... We cannot claim that our design is perfect but we have built the units in accordance to specifications in the sales and purchase agreement."

The Trivelis residents' committee was formed in February by home owners to put their concerns to the developer and the authorities. The Housing Board said that it first received feedback from the residents in March and asked ELD to address them.

The Straits Times understands that some residents are hoping that HDB would do more than just voice residents' concerns on the defects to the developer.

Resident Steven Kee, a 42-year-old programme coordinator, told The Straits Times: "It's been very disappointing but I'm glad we have a dialogue to talk about things and at least get some answers.

"I hope the authorities can do more stringent checks and follow up on the issue too."

Regulatory affairs executive Kenny C., 29, said: "I'm waiting to see what the developer will offer in the goodwill package.

"That's something to look forward to... I thought everything should be done up in a DBSS flat and I didn't expect to have to do so many rectifications."

[email protected]

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...-door-20150515

Shattered shower screens, rusty lift door...

Published on May 15, 2015 1:37 AM

WHEN Mr Wilson Yew bought his $633,000 four-room flat at Trivelis, a Design, Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS) project, he did not expect to have to replace the furnishings it came with.

The 33-year-old senior research officer said: "We bought the DBSS at a higher price and it was supposed to be all done up. In the end, we had to pay even more to tear some existing items down."

Mr Yew, who moved in two weeks ago, replaced his kitchen cabinet, which did not have space for a normal-sized oven. He also changed the doors of the wardrobe in a common room to a sliding one. This was because there was not enough space for the doors to open when a bed was placed in the room.

"I'm not an unreasonable person and I don't expect luxurious fittings. But some of the things they provided were really unacceptable," he said.

A recent circular by the Trivelis Residents Working Committee listed issues such as defective stove knobs, rusty dish racks, stain-prone kitchen countertops and poor quality laminate flooring.

Some residents also complained of shower glass panels that shattered.

Mr Kevin Teh, a spokesman for the committee, explained that the group was working with the developer, EL Development, and the relevant agencies to resolve some of the issues. "There has been some good progress," he said.

Veteran lawyer Amolat Singh said: "Developers have a duty to do things properly and the furnishings must be of a satisfactory quality. The (legal) argument may even be that the fixtures are unsafe - in the case of the shattered shower screens."

LIM YI HAN

Honestly speaking, if HDB best to go for as plain and basic as possible. No frills is best.

But I understand sometimes the plain ones in decent location want to queue also can't get. Maybe that's why some got DBSS.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Developer = El Development
    Architect = Place Architects and Design
    Same combination team for la fiesta also.
    Same developer for Symphony Suites, though architect is Surbana International Consultants.

So at the point of sale of Trivelis, there must have been a few considerations.

A 65 year old condo selling for about 800,000 vs 95 years HDB for 700 to 800,000. Not easy to choose...

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Honestly speaking, if HDB best to go for as plain and basic as possible. No frills is best.

But I understand sometimes the plain ones in decent location want to queue also can't get. Maybe that's why some got DBSS.
    No more new launches of DBSS anymore lah. Program is discontinued. Heard that Trivelis residents bought it becos of its location which is close to clementi mrt. Who knows not long after that hdb launched new bto jus beside it. Really lppl at that time. Now this come out really another tl this time.

From the trivelis saga, I learn something new. I learn that there are 3 important factors in choosing a development - 1) the design talent of the architect, 2) the construction/furnishing quality of the contractor, and 3) the after sales service support of the developer. In trivelis case, all these 3 factors have failed.

1) the quality talent is definitely non existence. Else wun have so many design flaws in the first place. These cannot be rectified once it is constructed and built in place. Therefore best to choose a big well known architect rather than a small unknown one. The biggest asset purchase of ur life. Dun gamble with it.

2) the construction/furnishing quality of the contractor is poor. Else they wun get so many complaints and also wun need to employ pple over the weekend to polish things up for the minister and the mp visit. After reading so many articles, I realise that we really can't expect quality to be perfect or top notch from any contractors regardless big or small, well known or unknown. Hence the after sales support service from the developer is very important to rectify things. But we dun see it from el dev.

3) its service sucks becos a) it did not attend residents dialogue open forum discussion by giving some crap excuses. Even the mp was there. Its a matter of showmanship. Understand that el dev wans to divide and conquer the residents by attending to them individually. But if an invitation to a open discussion forum is extended, it will be a reputation suicide if it is rejected. Even if no solution is given during the residents forum open dialogue discussion, it's good to hear things out, and let the residents have an avenue to vent out their frustration. Also good opportunity to identify the initiators, the opinion leaders and the influencers so that can work with them directly. Once they r happy and satisfied then basically half the battle won.

El dev sucks also becos b) they hide behind statistics and minimum requirements. Though numbers are accurate and rules and regulations are true, but that does not mean jus doing the bare minimum jus to pass. At least some efforts have to be put in to do the best and strive for the best even if it is not the best. But I dun see it at all in this case.

c) Basically the PR sucks, or if they have a PR dept at all. The way the message is communicated generally fails business communication 101 from a political correctness perspective. Its basically a suicide. From the way they respond to the residents and to the media, on the problems and the reasons/excuses and the solutions, its all rubbing pple the wrong way. Guess it all boils down to the mgmt. Cos there is no bad crew, there is only bad crew leader.

Think el dev is gone case now. Only time will erase memories. But can't erase news archives if pple wanna dig.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    No more new launches of DBSS anymore lah. Program is discontinued. Heard that Trivelis residents bought it becos of its location which is close to clementi mrt. Who knows not long after that hdb launched new bto jus beside it. Really lppl at that time. Now this come out really another tl this time.
    Yes, up to 800K HDB. At that point of time I think the cheapest condo comparable in size is probably 1-1.1 million, and resale HDB of equivalent size was probably 550K. The main selling point for DBSS was that its new and near to Clementi MRT.

I think that kind of prices gave private developers the confidence to bid good prices for the land there. But they forgot to factor that a lot of upgraders could have booked high priced HDB and DBSS over there...

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.