Thread: Maintenance costs for Landed

Default Maintenance costs for Landed

Anyone can share their experience on the topic above?
    Cheers!

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/...nded-property/

Pest Control?

If you are referring to rats, lizards, ordinary ants, etc... The best control is not to leave food exposed in your house. This tend to attract unwanted visitors. If you are referring to termite, a one time fee for 5 years protection cost about $4000 to $5,000.

Refuse charges.
    Can't remember the exact figure but I think it is about $18 per month.

SCV charges.

The first time laying of cable into the house cost about $2600. I am not sure of the exact figure. You can try MIO plan with TV package. The additional TV package cost $15 per month. It is a cheaper option. Alternatively, you use antenna and you need not pay anything except for the government TV licence fees.

The link shows the more details on SCV connection.

http://cabletv2.star...000464114acRCRD

PUB Bills

My place is 2,500 sqft with 3 rooms. Monthly bill inclusive of refuse disposal is about $220 to $250 per month (with my maid wasting lots of water and electricity). Without a maid, my utilities bill was $120 to $150 per month. I don't have solar panel at home. Some of my neigbours collect rainwater and use it to wash the floor. They told me that their bill per month is about $100 for a family of 6, size of house is about 3000 sqft.

Security Network

I don't have a security system network. A system would likely cost about $5000, excluding maintenance. My neighbourhood is very peaceful. I went with my family for a 2 weeks holiday, forgetting to close the gate and left the door open, nothing happen. Guess I was also lucky besides being in a safe neighbourhood with friendly neighbours.

In my last 5 yrs here in a 30 plus yr old terrace house, I only spent couple of hundred on servicing the autogate and another few hundred on choked pipes. Yet to fix a kitchen sl leaky roof but not too bothersome yet.

to add

depending on the design ... most tiled roof are pretty long lasting
    while the modern, more flattish non tile roof use 'silicon' on most joints...

heat + rain = silicon dries up and harden

need to reseal yearly to prevent leaking..

i repainted my house on the 4th yr .. cost me abt $10k ..i didnt have to but i am a house proud owner ... just wanted it to look NEW all the time heheh

Not to mention that the charges for handyman and other professional services may be diff for a landed vs a condo vs a hdb flat for the same type of jobs. I once engage a service to polish my parquet floor and was quoted $350 for a bedroom, but when the guy came, insisted in $500. His arguement is that $350 is for a HDB-sized bedroom, but seriously i dont think that bedroom of mine is any bigger than a hdb one.

Trimming of the grass in the gardens is relatively cheap as v often you will have "FTs" ringing your door bell offering their grass cutting service at $30-50.

Utilities bill for a 20,000sqft GCB will range from around 4.5k to 8K depending how much aircon you use or how big is your pool and your family size. There is no replacement for displacement. When you have a big space, you will consume more energy to cool or light up the place.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro View Post
    Not to mention that the charges for handyman and other professional services may be diff for a landed vs a condo vs a hdb flat for the same type of jobs. I once engage a service to polish my parquet floor and was quoted $350 for a bedroom, but when the guy came, insisted in $500. His arguement is that $350 is for a HDB-sized bedroom, but seriously i dont think that bedroom of mine is any bigger than a hdb one.

Trimming of the grass in the gardens is relatively cheap as v often you will have "FTs" ringing your door bell offering their grass cutting service at $30-50.
    the trick is to use the same handy man over the years ... can nego price ...

as for lawn ... buy a robotic lawn mower ... it does the work by itself ... cost about 2.5k .... but hey ... it works for years ...

charges by itself ... mow ... just set the boundary ... and it goes on its own ... even at night hahaha .... goes back to the charger when batt is low ..

and if you have a pool ... get a robotic pool cleaner ... it scrubs the bottom and the sides too ....

hardly any noise ...

let it work in the night ... next day ... all clean ...

If you want to drive a ferrari, dont waste time talking about servicing cost and depreciation or asking about fuel consumption road tax or insurance. If you need to ask question like these, chances are you are not in position to afford it. perhaps it might be better to just drive a Porsche