Thread: Don't be bullied by contractor with defects - is capital Land quality the worst?

Angry Don't be bullied by contractor with defects - is capital Land quality the worst?

I would like to share my unpleasant experiences in getting defects cleared in my 1+ study unit in Bedok Residences with everyone, especially owners of Bedok Residences and first-time buyers. It is important to educate yourself the industry standard and fight for your rights.

We were very excited when we finally collected the keys to our expensive investment. Joint inspection was carried out on the 22nd July 2015 together with RTO Mr Lim, jeff Ssyang Yong site supervisor and Mr Kenny from Capital land for my unit in Blk 26 and nearly 2 months later on the 14th Sept, the defects in a small 1+ study still cannot be cleared. There are primarily 3 reasons.

Firstly, it is the delay tactic used by main contractor Ssyang Yong. They will take their own sweet time to clear the defects hoping that you, in a hurry to rent out the unit or urgent need to move in, will give up and accept the defects. For 2 weeks after joint-inspection, I was shocked to find out that no work was done! After that, I decided to do more frequent checks. There was no one working in my unit every single time I was at the unit. I commented to the site Supervisor Jeff. Instead of receiving some apologetic reply, he said that the workers don't stay in the unit the whole day to show the owner that work is being done. Fair enough. However, the fact was the defects were still not cleared. Not even simple paint job in the balcony grille.

Secondly, The General Manager of Ssyang Yong Kim Joon Rye will tell you that quality of work is within limits when it is clearly not. They will tell you that parquet floor finishing is ok, that uneven tiles within 1mm is acceptable. They are lying to you. BCA states that it should be no more than 0.5mm. Just invest in an electronic vernier calipers around $30 and use the tail end to measure the difference in height. I spent 2 weeks arguing with them that the uneven tiles are not acceptable. They will keep insisting that the pointing will solve the problem, bullying you to accept the work. It is a disgrace that such a big contractor would resort to such tactics. And what is more amazing is that Capital Land allows such behavior to take place. Go to BCA site https://www.bca.gov.sg/Professionals...thers/home.pdf
    and read this home owner guide to arm yourself with the knowledge. This is very useful guide. Know your right. In total, I got them to hack 4 tiles in toilet and 11 tiles in the rest of the area. It could have been even more if not for the fact that we want to rent out ASAP. I even have to accept 2 homogeneous tiles with minor chipped off surface as it will take another week for them to clear the defects.

Thirdly, the quality of this Capital Land's Project is simply too bad to begin with and there are numerous defects. Parquet floor that will cracked when pressed because the bottom is hollow! Would you believe this? Especially at the edge near the window. Quick go check. Windows that are not properly sealed, cracked mirrors, damaged laminate of cabinet, patches in paint work of balcony frames, spoilt toilet seat, damaged parquet floor which are not sand and varnish properly, botched balcony walls, uneven tiles, balcony doors that cannot be locked ....the list goes on and on. When one defect is being worked on, another problem is created. Hacked 1 tile, damaged another,
    sprayed the frameOf balcony panels, messed up glasses with paint, Polished kitchen top, damaged induction cooker and scratched other area, refused to change tile Near room door and damaged parquet floor, Replace parquet, dirtied wall, replaced toilet seat, stained the seat...

In conclusion, I will never ever buy another development by Capital Land again. In my opinion, they charge you a premium but they do not give you the quality that one would expect. I had seen development by Far East, UOL etc and the quality of work is so much better. If you like me already bought one, I hope my sharing will help you in relieving some of the stresses and anguish you might be going through.

Normal, Welcome to the real World.

Satisfied with far east. Quality not bad but response is very good. Worst so far is UOL. Rusty railings, they will even argue with you one. Really cmi.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantona View Post
    I would like to share my unpleasant experiences in getting defects cleared in my 1+ study unit in Bedok Residences with everyone, especially owners of Bedok Residences and first-time buyers. It is important to educate yourself the industry standard and fight for your rights.

We were very excited when we finally collected the keys to our expensive investment. Joint inspection was carried out on the 22nd July 2015 together with RTO Mr Lim, jeff Ssyang Yong site supervisor and Mr Kenny from Capital land for my unit in Blk 26 and nearly 2 months later on the 14th Sept, the defects in a small 1+ study still cannot be cleared. There are primarily 3 reasons.

Firstly, it is the delay tactic used by main contractor Ssyang Yong. They will take their own sweet time to clear the defects hoping that you, in a hurry to rent out the unit or urgent need to move in, will give up and accept the defects. For 2 weeks after joint-inspection, I was shocked to find out that no work was done! After that, I decided to do more frequent checks. There was no one working in my unit every single time I was at the unit. I commented to the site Supervisor Jeff. Instead of receiving some apologetic reply, he said that the workers don't stay in the unit the whole day to show the owner that work is being done. Fair enough. However, the fact was the defects were still not cleared. Not even simple paint job in the balcony grille.

Secondly, The General Manager of Ssyang Yong Kim Joon Rye will tell you that quality of work is within limits when it is clearly not. They will tell you that parquet floor finishing is ok, that uneven tiles within 1mm is acceptable. They are lying to you. BCA states that it should be no more than 0.5mm. Just invest in an electronic vernier calipers around $30 and use the tail end to measure the difference in height. I spent 2 weeks arguing with them that the uneven tiles are not acceptable. They will keep insisting that the pointing will solve the problem, bullying you to accept the work. It is a disgrace that such a big contractor would resort to such tactics. And what is more amazing is that Capital Land allows such behavior to take place. Go to BCA site https://www.bca.gov.sg/Professionals...thers/home.pdf
    and read this home owner guide to arm yourself with the knowledge. This is very useful guide. Know your right. In total, I got them to hack 4 tiles in toilet and 11 tiles in the rest of the area. It could have been even more if not for the fact that we want to rent out ASAP. I even have to accept 2 homogeneous tiles with minor chipped off surface as it will take another week for them to clear the defects.

Thirdly, the quality of this Capital Land's Project is simply too bad to begin with and there are numerous defects. Parquet floor that will cracked when pressed because the bottom is hollow! Would you believe this? Especially at the edge near the window. Quick go check. Windows that are not properly sealed, cracked mirrors, damaged laminate of cabinet, patches in paint work of balcony frames, spoilt toilet seat, damaged parquet floor which are not sand and varnish properly, botched balcony walls, uneven tiles, balcony doors that cannot be locked ....the list goes on and on. When one defect is being worked on, another problem is created. Hacked 1 tile, damaged another,
    sprayed the frameOf balcony panels, messed up glasses with paint, Polished kitchen top, damaged induction cooker and scratched other area, refused to change tile Near room door and damaged parquet floor, Replace parquet, dirtied wall, replaced toilet seat, stained the seat...

In conclusion, I will never ever buy another development by Capital Land again. In my opinion, they charge you a premium but they do not give you the quality that one would expect. I had seen development by Far East, UOL etc and the quality of work is so much better. If you like me already bought one, I hope my sharing will help you in relieving some of the stresses and anguish you might be going through.

Hi Bro Cantona,

1. You have every right to challenge the specs and make a case with the developer. I have never collected any key to a new apartment except for my BTO way back in 90s which is barebone cement state for all rooms except toilet and kitchen.

2. I have only bought resale only because I can physically see, feel, touch and walk the space. Spent another 40-50k and is enough to renovate extensively the carpentry, faucet, pipe, electrical and some flooring to one's liking. IN this way, only need to harass the main reno contractor when it is not to your liking so easier to get things done, have to pay a little more but it's worth it and also everyone needs to earn some for a living.

3. For the last point on developer, not sure if you have experience with the others, but way back in 90s, one of the quality one mentioned by you, have got a really notorious reputation for delivering shoddy work and using poor quality materials. Heard that it has improved significantly, also mentioned by you. And because of this hisotry, I have not step into any of theirs for the last 15 years. Also there is a need to discount a lot from the showflat in terms of the good feel. That is why my preference is for point given in #2. I think all big developer has enough of experiences to handle irate customers.

Good luck to you. Also my advice is if can live and let live, it may work out better for you and developer, perhaps getting them to repay in other forms of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantona View Post

I was wondering whether can lodge a police report for cheating.

Bedok residences is under BCA QM projects.. you can use that to press them.

overall, all the new projects these days are facing many similar problems. short of good quality workers.