Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ceiling for contribution of CPF OA?

There is no need to adjust the rates, the payout of CPF life is controlled by the board.

OCR properties going to crash! teddybear's Avatar

Sounds good on paper, but reality is another story.......

You can go here and take a look (read the comments by Wilson Nugraha Citra), and people found that the CPF Life actual return that people will get even if they live until 86 years old is likely less than 1.94% based on current payout...........

Mind you, 86 years old is already the average age of women (for men is about 82 years old), and the actual return of 1.94% based on the current payout is MUCH LESS than the 3.5-4% that you were told you will get from CPF Life.........

Before people get carried away by all the statistics and figures touted and thrown in your face, you better make a reality check, whether these figures are real or not.........

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    In early 2015, our PM announced that those 55 & above will receive not 1% but 2% for the RA acct.
    1st 30k - 6% = $1800
    next 30k - 5% = $1500
    Above 60k - 4%

I am not sure whether they will make adjustment to CPF rates so soon when our PM just announced a
    GOOD NEWS for those 55 & above to gave extra 1%-2% as mentioned above.

In the late 70s & ealy 80s, our parent bought their 1st 4rm HDB flat < $30k. Now it is worthed >350k to 450k
    after > 30 yrs later. They should have no problem to retire as HDB allow a Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS)
    They are eligible for the LBS as an additional monetisation option if they are from an elderly household living
    in a 4-room or smaller flat. Through this scheme, you will be able to tap on your flat to receive a stream of
    income in your retirement years, while continuing to live in it.

I am 100% sure that the today BTO 4 rm flat $300k will not shoot up to $3m in 30 yrs time. We are a developed
    economies & growth rate will be 1-3% . Not 8%-12% in the 70s to 90s.

As you have said, OUR GIC and Temasek announcements a reduced gains to 4%. So what make you very sure
    that you can BEAT & outperform our GIC & TEMASEK 4% return in long run.

CPF is one of the best tool for retirement planning. If we do not fully make full use of the compounded 4% interest
    rate at young age. We may have problem in our retirement if somehow we SCREW our investment or habitutal
    spender when huge liquid CASH is so easily avail at a touch of BUTTON in our BANK acct.

@IT CAN BE DONE@ to be able to Accumulate $1m in your CPF by age 55 to age 57 with starting pay ONLY $2500 at age 25.
    The best part is that you only use 20% of your salary + 17% employer contribution to your CPF acct. No voluntary CASH involved.
    At age 55. three CPF acct OA + SA + MA = One million dollars. Dont need to be a HIGH income earner to reach $1m in your CPF

But only the minorities have the financial capablity , determination & discipline to prorities their retirement need when young & transfer
    from OA (2.5% - 3.5%) to SA (4% to 5%) to see the magic of compouned interest in their special acct.

Since most of the young couple likely to marry late between age 30-40. Why not set yourself a tgt to hit your Special acct min $100k at
    age 35 by transfer OA to SA. Example By age U should have OA=$112k. SA=33k
    Move 67k from your OA to SA (33k + 67k ) to increase your SA to $100k tgt.

It will be better if he/she can internal transfer up to the max ceiling of $161k for 2016 as ealy as possible if he/she has the financial capablilty
    when young. Once the max 161k ceiling is reached. U are no longer allow to internal transfer from OA to SA. Your CPF-OA will still continue
    to grow.

Once your SA=100k is reached by age 35. You know that the BIG WORRY min retirement need is SETTLED .You can concentrate to
    enjoy your life style without any worry about your min retirement need @ age 65. Your SA will continue to grow even more SA>$100k if
    you are still working after @ age 35.

SA @ $100k compounded 4% interest for 30 yrs. U will have at least 325k at age 65. A very basic retirement est 2.5k/mth at age 65 for life. http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator...calculator.htm

]2015 was a difficult year for investments.
    Our local insurance outperform better than the foreigner in 2015. But not sure for 2016.

Great Eastern Life@ 2.24% (2015) 7.08% (2014) 3.62%(2013) 9.76%(2012) 1.54%(2011) 6.58%(2010)

NTUC Income@ 1.79%(2015) 5.45%(2014) 1.63%(2013) 8.56%(2012) 0.88%(2011) 5.90%(2010)

Prudential @ 0.20%(2015) 5.90%(2014) 5.20%(2013) 11.00%(2012) 0.20%(2011) 7.20%(2010)

Aviva @ 0.53%(2015) 5.42%(2014) 0.19%(2013) 9.35 %(2012) 1.30%(2011) 6.63%(2010)

Tokio Marine@ -0.15%(2015) 6.41%(2014) 2.35%(2013) 10.57%(2012) ? ?

It happen to Temasek , GIC as well as insurance companies.
    The bonus declared will also be reduced for all insurance polices if the investment return continue to be weak in the next few yrs.
    Private annity will also be affected by the low return & need reduce their payout.

That is not material to what we are saying here.........
    The thing is, we were told that CPF Life annuity payout is about 3.5-4.0% per year (if my memory did not fail me, correct me if I am wrong here), but actually when some people run a check on the figures touted based on the current payout, the real return even if you live till 86 years old is only like 1.94%, that is the problem..........
    So who pocketed the other profit of 1.56-2.06% pa?

Anyway, Temasek claimed about 17% pa return and GIC claimed 6+% pa return, all so much higher than the 1.94% that CPF Life is paying out (and hence there is no risk to the 1.94% payout being cut, instead it should really be increased to 3.5-4% to back up what these people claimed)......

For transparency of CPF Life account, it should be caved out as a separate account from CPF and have its own annual financial statements on incomes and payouts. Thereafter, when there are accumulated surpluses because of the low payout, the payouts should be adjusted upwards (In current form, it seems that if there are profits from the low payouts, CPF Board will pocket the profit?).

It happen to Temasek , GIC as well as insurance companies.
    The bonus declared will also be reduced for all insurance polices if the investment return continue to be weak in the next few yrs.
    Private annity will also be affected by the low return & need reduce their payout.
    Last edited by teddybear; 31st July 2016 at 07:19 PM.

CPF.Retirement.Aug16.jpgCPF.Retirement.Aug16.jpgCPF.Retirement.Aug16.jpg
    In early 2015, our PM announced that those 55 & above will receive not 1% but 2% for the RA acct.
    1st 30k - 6% = $1800
    next 30k - 5% = $1500
    Above 60k - 4%

I am not sure whether they will make adjustment to CPF rates so soon when our PM just announced a
    GOOD NEWS for those 55 & above to gave extra 1%-2% as mentioned above.

In the late 70s & ealy 80s, our parent bought their 1st 4rm HDB flat < $30k. Now it is worthed >350k to 450k
    after > 30 yrs later. They should have no problem to retire as HDB allow a Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS)
    They are eligible for the LBS as an additional monetisation option if they are from an elderly household living
    in a 4-room or smaller flat. Through this scheme, you will be able to tap on your flat to receive a stream of
    income in your retirement years, while continuing to live in it.

I am 100% sure that the today BTO 4 rm flat $300k will not shoot up to $3m in 30 yrs time. We are a developed
    economies & growth rate will be 1-3% . Not 8%-12% in the 70s to 90s.

As you have said, OUR GIC and Temasek announcements a reduced gains to 4%. So what make you very sure
    that you can BEAT & outperform our GIC & TEMASEK 4% return in long run.

CPF is one of the best tool for retirement planning. If we do not fully make full use of the compounded 4% interest
    rate at young age. We may have problem in our retirement if somehow we SCREW our investment or habitutal
    spender when huge liquid CASH is so easily avail at a touch of BUTTON in our BANK acct.

@IT CAN BE DONE@ to be able to Accumulate $1m in your CPF by age 55 to age 57 with starting pay ONLY $2500 at age 25.
    The best part is that you only use 20% of your salary + 17% employer contribution to your CPF acct. No voluntary CASH involved.
    At age 55. three CPF acct OA + SA + MA = One million dollars. Dont need to be a HIGH income earner to reach $1m in your CPF

But only the minorities have the financial capablity , determination & discipline to prorities their retirement need when young & transfer
    from OA (2.5% - 3.5%) to SA (4% to 5%) to see the magic of compouned interest in their special acct.

Since most of the young couple likely to marry late between age 30-40. Why not set yourself a tgt to hit your Special acct min $100k at
    age 35 by transfer OA to SA. Example By age U should have OA=$112k. SA=33k
    Move 67k from your OA to SA (33k + 67k ) to increase your SA to $100k tgt.

It will be better if he/she can internal transfer up to the max ceiling of $161k for 2016 as ealy as possible if he/she has the financial capablilty
    when young. Once the max 161k ceiling is reached. U are no longer allow to internal transfer from OA to SA. Your CPF-OA will still continue
    to grow.

Once your SA=100k is reached by age 35. You know that the BIG WORRY min retirement need is SETTLED .You can concentrate to
    enjoy your life style without any worry about your min retirement need @ age 65. Your SA will continue to grow even more SA>$100k if
    you are still working after @ age 35.

SA @ $100k compounded 4% interest for 30 yrs. U will have at least 325k at age 65. A very basic retirement est 2.5k/mth at age 65 for life. http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator...calculator.htm

Today Sunday times - CPF $1m by age 65
    =================================
    It is a no brainer that CPF compounded high interest RISk FREE is a good retirement plan scheme.

But sadly, not many people TRUST in our CPF scheme. Lock in, PAP become the opposition, Shift
    "goal post " etc. It tool me 2yrs + to convince my friend who is quite financial savvy to transfer his
    CPF OA to CPF SA. He hestiated. But finally he transferred it. Later, he regretted for not transferring
    much earlier to enjoy the high compounded interest.

With the S$1m, the interest will be est > $30k. Every yr keep increasing due to it compounded effect.
    I will be using the $30k interest to travel around the world with my wife when I am close to age 58-60.
    Still a long way but I am very patience to wait for that day.

It is a no brainer that CPF compounded high interest RISk FREE is a good retirement plan scheme.

But sadly, not many people TRUST in our CPF scheme. Lock in, PAP become the opposition, Shift
    "goal post " etc. It tool me 2yrs + to convince my friend who is quite financial savvy to transfer his
    CPF OA to CPF SA. He hestiated. But finally he transferred it. Later, he regretted for not transferring

With the S$1m, the interest will be est > $30k. Every yr keep increasing due to it compounded effect.
    I will be using the $30k interest to travel around the world with my wife when I am close to age 58-60.

Didi you notice recently that our GOVT has promoted AWARENESS of SDIC at heartland mall ?
    Why do our GOVT trying to promote the SDIC awareness ?

SDIC - Singapore deposit insurance corporation. WE insure your deposits up to $50,000.

In the event a Deposit Insurance Scheme member bank or finance company fails, all of your eligible accounts with that member are aggregated and insured up to S$50,000. Trust and client accounts held by non-bank depositors are insured up to $50,000 per account.

To support teddy, here is the Maths for the inputs:
    Current value: $241,500
    Current age: 55
    Payout age: 65
    Estimated payout: $1,770 - $1,920 monthly ($21,240 - $23,040 per year)
    Life expectancy: 86
    N = 86 - 65 = 21 (years)
    Future value: 0

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Schem...ent-sum-scheme
    Last edited by richwang; 14th August 2016 at 09:27 PM.

You are assuming that the CPF interest rate remains unchanged with a min of 4% in SA and 2.5% in OA.
    However, isn't CPF interest rate supposed to be pegged to floating SG 10-year bond rate and the minimum interest rate will be removed? When will this new scheme start?

Let's use discount rate of 1.94%
    Standing at the year when you are 65 and calculate the "current value" of your total payouts:

I = 1.94
    N = 21
    PMT = 21,240
    FV = 0

Any financial calculator will give you:
    PV= 363,511
    http://www.calculator.net/present-va...1=end&x=61&y=9

In this case, 85.x years old is the average age of female and so should be the study case for a female.

Yes, this is an interesting case and we would like to know what is the real return in this scenario (assuming a person lives till the average age of 86 years old and no bequest left)?

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post
    To support teddy, here is the Maths for the inputs:
    Current value: $241,500
    Current age: 55
    Payout age: 65
    Estimated payout: $1,770 - $1,920 monthly ($21,240 - $23,040 per year)
    Life expectancy: 86
    N = 86 - 65 = 21 (years)
    Future value: 0

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/Members/Schem...ent-sum-scheme

Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast