Thread: Debts Unpaid by Previous Tenants

Default Debts Unpaid by Previous Tenants

I got a rude shock from my current tenants today who informed me that several debt collecters have turned up at their unit to demand payment for an unsecured term loan that was taken by the previous Filipino tenant.

I tried to explain to the debt collectors that the previous Filipino tenant had already left Singapore more than 6 mths ago, and since it was the Filipino tenant who had taken the loan from the bank, they should not harrass my current tenants.

The debt collectors/bank would not take no for an answer, and threatened me and my current tenants with legal action, sealing off the premises, confiscating the tenant's belongings, etc..unless the loan was repaid.

My current tenants have already served me a termination notice and have informed their lawyers to issue me a Letter of Demand for liquidated damages for emotional and mental stress suffered from the debt collectors.

Can any kind souls out there advise me on my options?

Report to police.

HDB or private?

Quote Originally Posted by ocean12 View Post
    I got a rude shock from my current tenants today who informed me that several debt collecters have turned up at their unit to demand payment for an unsecured term loan that was taken by the previous Filipino tenant.

I tried to explain to the debt collectors that the previous Filipino tenant had already left Singapore more than 6 mths ago, and since it was the Filipino tenant who had taken the loan from the bank, they should not harrass my current tenants.

The debt collectors/bank would not take no for an answer, and threatened me and my current tenants with legal action, sealing off the premises, confiscating the tenant's belongings, etc..unless the loan was repaid.

My current tenants have already served me a termination notice and have informed their lawyers to issue me a Letter of Demand for liquidated damages for emotional and mental stress suffered from the debt collectors.

The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

If the tenants can sue you for emotional and mental then you also can sue the banks for agony and lost of income. Most important don't return the deposit use it on lawsuit. A tenant also stress became a landlord also stress. Sighs. Indeed cost of living is getting expensive.

Many of them behave like this, especially with new 2 years rule for credit card, when they plan to leave for good, they charge the credit card to the max to buy whatever they need in their home and shipped it back. When time to go, ta da, disappear...

I have a similar experience, lucky not credit card or loanshark, the couple Filipino tenants left with 2 telco bills of near $1000 each. Call the telco, they took quite a long time before the bill stop coming.

If bank, find out which bank, call them up and reason with them. You can sue them back to back what the Filipino sues you.

If loan shark, first install CCTV at the doorstep, make a police report with all the evidence you have.

Finally, do you have a rental contract with the Filipino, check have LD clauses, if no contract, and rental by cash, ask them for proof that they stayed there before.
    Last edited by CondoInterested; 01-04-16 at 08:40.

Don't tell me banks and telco didn't know they are foreigners and they living in a rental house, should be their due diligent or it is a conspiracy to harass the landlord. Quite funny sighs. Just couldn't believe!

the telcos or banks don't generally look to assets in the house as security when they give a credit card or phone line, probably just the debt collector going overboard.

btw, if it is a condo, rightfully the debt collectors shouldn't be able to access the unit, unless they trespass.

on that note, will the credit dept of ah longs approve loans to condo addresses? abit more challenging to harress I would think

Got a few things for you:-

1) Is it a condo or HDB? If condo, make a police report for tresspass. If HDB, then have to take civil action.
    2) What did they do? If they make even a single mark on your property, report to police. They will get jail + caning.
    3) File a civil sue against both the bank and debt collector for loss of income, mental distress etc
    4) Your tenant has the right to do that. It is in the contract that you signed - Peaceful living condition or something like that.

Based on the letter of demand, it should be a high value tenant right? Your property should be high end one. If so, see point 1. I mean if HDB, who in their right mind will sue the LL? Most will just stop paying rental and move out.

You have to ask yourself this also:-

1) Did your tenant complain to you before?
    2) What actions have you taken?
    3) How long has this been happening? And did you drag your feet over this?
    4) Any proof that you contacted the bank or debt collector? (This is important in court)
    5) How did you react and how did your tenant react? Is it amicable or what?

try to settle with your tenant without going to court...
    as for the rest...the bank and debt collectors...sue them to recover everything..
    but you must have the resources to go to court if needed...

The tenant already taken legal action. Unlikely they will want to settle amicably. All parties will not benefits at the end of the day except all lawyers. Therefore I said costs are getting higher everyday. Sighs

The ignition started with lenders and service providers without due diligent and responsibilities. They should be sued for the inconvenient and agony suffered by the innocents. When they earn money they never share with LLs and tenants.

I have dealt with such situations, PM me if you need advice . In short, you need a strong TA and diligence in documenting the period of tenancy of each and every individual occupant, then you can deal with all e counterclaims...
    Just Do It! 要拼才会赢!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Never experience such case before.

As I have said before, the place you stay determines who are likely to be your neighbours and likely what kind of people they are,

and Similarly the kind of rental properties you own (high-end or low-end) determines what kind of likely tenants you will get.......

I always definitely go for high-end and avoid low-end in order to avoid the kind of trouble you are facing now........

Quote Originally Posted by ocean12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    ... (high-end or low-end) ...

... high-end and avoid low-end ...
    high end, low end, in the end, no end ...

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested View Post
    high end, low end, in the end, no end ...
    The TS never reveal the type of property. Scully its the most high end, then Teddy has to dig a hole.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

High-end tenants one won't risk their reputation for those kind of money lah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    The TS never reveal the type of property. Scully its the most high end, then Teddy has to dig a hole.

High-end tenants one won't risk their reputation for those kind of money lah!
    I also never experienced leh. Mine should be regarded as low to mid tier.

I am sure there are landlords who experienced such tenants everywhere just that HDB has less security for it.

Chao kuan has no income criteria.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Sure there are, in term of probabilities!
    Just look at crime rate in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s vs now that involved money and the profile of the people who committed such crime and you will know!

I also never experienced leh. Mine should be regarded as low to mid tier.

I am sure there are landlords who experienced such tenants everywhere just that HDB has less security for it.

Chao kuan has no income criteria.

You said it. Probabilities but not absolute.

I also think CCR FH owner got class and culture but seems like it's not always true.

Sure there are, in term of probabilities!
    Just look at crime rate in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s vs now that involved money and the profile of the people who committed such crime and you will know!

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Why are you interested in absolute numbers?
    E.g., say Singapore has a crime rate of 500k per year HK has a crime rate of 1,000k per year, does it mean HK has higher crime rate than Singapore?
    Obviously NOT (if HK has population double of Singapore!). So obviously we look at the % of crimes as a gauge of probability!

There are just more than enough studies to show the positive correlation that poor people committed more crimes!

Proof (read the links):

1) A disturbing study of the link between incomes and criminal behaviour

Quote: "He found, to no one’s surprise, that teenagers who had grown up in families whose earnings were among the bottom fifth were seven times more likely to be convicted of violent crimes, and twice as likely to be convicted of drug offences, as those whose family incomes were in the top fifth."

2) How Income Inequality Affects Crime Rates

Quote: "In a 2002 study by World Bank economists Pablo Fajnzylber, Daniel Lederman, and Norman Loayza, it was found out that crime rates and inequality are positively correlated within countries and also between countries. The correlation is a causation – inequality induces crime rates.".

3) POVERTY, NOT RACE, TIED TO HIGH CRIME RATES IN URBAN COMMUNITIES

Quote: "COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Violent crime rates have more to do with poverty levels in a neighborhood than with the race of local residents, new research has found.

A study of Columbus neighborhoods found that violent crime rates in extremely disadvantaged white neighborhoods were very similar to rates in comparable Black neighborhoods.

The violent crime rate in highly disadvantaged Black areas was 22 per 1,000 residents, not much different from the 20 per 1,000 rate in similar white communities.
    "

You said it. Probabilities but not absolute.

I also think CCR FH owner got class and culture but seems like it's not always true.