Thread: Unit Trusts Thread

Default Unit Trusts Thread

If you believe the next financial crisis is on its way, you may consider
    Black Rock World Gold Fund (SGD hedged)

https://www.blackrock.com/sg/en/prod...-a2-sgd-hedged

Unfortunately it is not eligible for CPF, nor SRS.

If you believe Russia will be the next story, you may consider

PARVEST EQ RUSSIA EUR

https://secure.fundsupermart.com/mai...lnumber=BNP031

Not every bank carries it, I know DBS doesn't, but SCB does.

Again not eligible for CPF, nor SRS.

If you believe in me, you can loan me money to buy property.

Again not eligible for CPF, nor SRS.

The stock & bond thread removed ?

Short S&P 500.
    Going to buy ProShares UltraShort S&P500 (ETF) @16.33.
    52 wks low = US$16.16
    52 wks high = US$25.

http://asialt.morningstar.com/DBSSG/main.aspx

If you believe oil and energy companies are pushed down too much, you can consider
    BlackRock world energy fund

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Never believe in all these funds....... (watch out their fees (some are hidden and you won't know and not reported)!)

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post
    http://asialt.morningstar.com/DBSSG/main.aspx

If you believe oil and energy companies are pushed down too much, you can consider
    BlackRock world energy fund

UNIT TRUST
    ==========
    A unit trust pools money together from a large nos. of investors to buy stocks, bonds and other securities.

The fund is managed by a professional mgr. It attempt to create portfolios that outperform the mkt over a long period of time (15 -20 yrs).

Many herd instinct retail investors choose to invest in stocks themselves & result was worse off. Too emotional.

Buying into a unit trust can keep investors from falling into this TRAP (investor worst quality is GREED & impatient ).The Specualtors will lie (fake news, false rumour, exaggeration etc) using media to get out to make us execute the wrong decision and hurt (huge financial loses) all of us through our own emotional stupidity, HERD INSTINCT, GREED & FEAR.

In my 25 yrs of buying unit trust. It is one of the best alternative investment which can help you to plan for your future need through long term investment horizon.

Type of unit trust fund - low risk (R1) to Very high risk (R10)
    ===========================================
    Money mkt fund (R1) Very low risk. Return 1-2%
    Invest into govt bond . More for facilitating switching out from high risk fund & to a low risk fund. Then switch back again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bond fund (R2-3) Low risk return 2-3%
    Invests primarily in fixed-income assets, such as treasury bonds, corporate bonds or municipal bond

Junk bond fund is total different from a low risk bond. Best
    to avoid if u dont know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Balanced Fund (R5) - Moderate risk . Return 3%-4%
    Invests in both stocks (50%) and bonds (50%).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Income fund (R6) - Slightly high risk return 4% to 5%
    Invest into stocks that have consistently high dividends like banks , reits , telco etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Growth Fund (8) High risk return >10%.Can also be -10%
    invests in stocks that have the potential to grow substantially
    like Alibaba, Amazon etc

As long as your have the long term investment horizon. It
    should able to outperform in long run (15 -20yrs).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sector fund (7-8) - High risk
    Invests in stocks in a particular industry sector, like financial services ,
    mining or world energy , health care etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Single country fund - High risk. No diversification.
    Example if there is a Korea war. The Korea fund will be greatly hit the most.

Vietnam fund was launched at $1.00 in 2007. Did not buy.
    Today price was 0.7. Still below $1 after 10 yrs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Below are all the fund that I have bought before & sold at 15 to 20% % profit only.
    Always short term holding. I have learnt& will likely to hold LT if I will to buy back
    at the next crisis time if it come again.

Schroder growth fund - Return 8%+ since incept (1991)
    UOB Global health fund -Return 8%+ since incept (2001)
    1st statement dividend fund - Return 8%+ since incept (?)
    AIA regional equity fund - Return 8%+ since incept (?)
    Prudential SG managed - Return 6%+ since incept (1991)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Volatile fund like energy & mining not recommended.
    Not for retirement plan .

Bought resource fund at $1.00 in 2006. Sold 6 mths later
    at $1.20. It went up to 1.80 before the Lehman crisis. Now
    back to 1.00. Back to square one after 11 yrs.

Young investors can afford to buy growth fund as long as they
    have the long term investment horizon. This is to ride through
    the roller coaster volatility . Holding period at least 15 yrs.

But if you are in the 50s. The best optional is to buy
    income stock. Give quarterly dividend. Timing entry is
    important.

But if you are in the 60s. Better put your money into your own
    CPF earning 2.5% to 6%

Investing in crisis time is the most rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom fast then you thought. But it is one of the most difficult investing decision.

Example Schroder growth fund was 0.5 during the Asia
    fanancial crisis (1998). It is $3.82 now. A 760% ($50k to $380k ) return for buying during crisis time & rewarded 20 yrs later.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    UNIT TRUST
    ==========
    A unit trust pools money together from a large nos. of investors to buy stocks, bonds and other securities.

The fund is managed by a professional mgr. It attempt to create portfolios that outperform the mkt over a long period of time (15 -20 yrs).

Many herd instinct retail investors choose to invest in stocks themselves & result was worse off. Too emotional.

Buying into a unit trust can keep investors from falling into this TRAP (investor worst quality is GREED & impatient ).The Specualtors will lie (fake news, false rumour, exaggeration etc) using media to get out to make us execute the wrong decision and hurt (huge financial loses) all of us through our own emotional stupidity, HERD INSTINCT, GREED & FEAR.

In my 25 yrs of buying unit trust. It is one of the best alternative investment which can help you to plan for your future need through long term investment horizon.

Invest into govt bond . More for facilitating switching out from high risk fund & to a low risk fund. Then switch back again.

Invests primarily in fixed-income assets, such as treasury bonds, corporate bonds or municipal bond

to avoid if u dont know.

Invest into stocks that have consistently high dividends like banks , reits , telco etc.

like Alibaba, Amazon etc

Below are all the fund that I have bought before & sold at 15 to 20% % profit only.
    Always short term holding. I have learnt& will likely to hold LT if I will to buy back

important.

CPF earning 2.5% to 6%

Investing in crisis time is the most rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom fast then you thought. But it is one of the most difficult investing decision.

fanancial crisis (1998). It is $3.82 now. A 760% ($50k to $380k ) return for buying during crisis time & rewarded 20 yrs later.
    Wow, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing cbsh38584. This is enlightening.

You quoted below "But if you are in the 50s. The best optional is to buy income stock. Give quarterly dividend. Timing entry is important."

I fit into this category. How do we identify good Income Stock unit trust.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    UNIT TRUST
    ==========

to avoid if u dont know.

like Alibaba, Amazon etc

important.

CPF earning 2.5% to 6%

My Income fund all in the red that I have to sell at a loss when I need money? Luckily my equity fund came to the rescue.

Now I very scare of funds. Buy property still safer.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

To me, for funds, very simple:
    If Expense Ratio is > 1.0% p.a., running away like seeing GHOST!

And to satisfy this criteria of Expense Ratio < 1.0% p.a., probably all unit trusts failed!
    So, I will never ever buy unit trusts!

ETFs can be considered if Expense Ratio < 1.0% p.a. (obviously the lower the better), but the ETFs that you can buy using your CPFIS and SRS are thinly traded, and you will face huge liquidity risk!

Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post
    My Income fund all in the red that I have to sell at a loss when I need money? Luckily my equity fund came to the rescue.

Now I very scare of funds. Buy property still safer.

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    Thank you for sharing cbsh38584. This is enlightening.

You quoted below "But if you are in the 50s. The best optional is to buy income stock. Give quarterly dividend. Timing entry is important."

I fit into this category. How do we identify good Income Stock unit trust.
    When you invest, you must not use your so call "daliy expense" or emergency fund to buy.
    There is to prevent you from selling at a loss if cash is really needed.

Income or dividend fund. Dividends can be received as a source of income just like rental income.
    If you’re in it for the long-term, dividend investments can be rewarding. Since you are in the 50s,
    your entry timing is quite important.

There are a few income or dividend fund .1st state dividend adv is one of the fund that I bought b4.
    Get a proper advise from your financial adviser. He should able to guide you what are the fund
    suitable for you base on your risk profile assesment.

FYI, my tenant told me his korea boss bought HSBC SG equity fund in 2014. He sold at 20% loss
    in 2016 as his friends keep fearmongering about the mkt cash. Regret like shit. Everybody goes through
    this phase.