Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singapore property prices to double by 2030: Morgan Stanley

2009, A short story of catching the crash.

Bought a Landed property and have to sell because the wife got lay off from Banking job.

Sold Landed property and made a profit of a million dollar.

Wife found a banking job a few month later.

Bought rental income property one after another with the million dollar total 3 and one BUC all FH.

2016 sold the BUC.

Now staying in one of the property almost paid off with two rental income FH property.

不入虎穴,奄得虎子!

The world will always be long to people who take calculated risks more than people who avoid risks.

2013 they said dangerous times I agree. 2015 they said still early I disagree but understand. 2017 the boat engine already started they still say risky...
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Unknown year, A short story of catching the crash.

Bought a landed property, work lot of O/T to pay the mortgage and redevelop the property to six room and rent out the room.

Fully pay the property and collecting rental from the room.

Now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    不入虎穴,奄得虎子!

The world will always be long to people who take calculated risks more than people who avoid risks.

2013 they said dangerous times I agree. 2015 they said still early I disagree but understand. 2017 the boat engine already started they still say risky...
    Just learn the word "Self-Sabotage"

https://www.srx.com.sg/cooling-measures

2006, A short story of catching the crash.

My Brother bought a BUC 4 room HDB BTO at Geylang Serai, staying at a resale 3 room HDB with his PRC wife.

Told his wife he wants to give out the BTO because afraid of losing the job and cannot pay the mortgage.

Wife asks me to talk to him.

Using simple Math, told him when MRT NS and EW line completed, property double.

Now MRT Circles line North-East line underground cost more than surface MRT, property sure goes up.

The rest are history.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    2006, A short story of catching the crash.

My Brother bought a BUC 4 room HDB BTO at Geylang Serai, staying at a resale 3 room HDB with his PRC wife.

Told his wife he wants to give out the BTO because afraid of losing the job and cannot pay the mortgage.

Wife asks me to talk to him.

Using simple Math, told him when MRT NS and EW line completed, property double.

Now MRT Circles line North-East line underground cost more than surface MRT, property sure goes up.

The rest are history.
    You were lucky to buy at the right time in 2006 and hence there was no looking back. Imagine you if had bought your first property in 2013, your situation would be very different. You will be hoping that your investment would turn out well.

You have actually benefited from timing the market and now telling people timing is not important.

I have seen similar blunder statements from comp like morgan stanley and nomura on SG property. Nothing worth to talk about.

Morgan also predicting SG property down by 20% in 2013 lol

http://sph-vld7.shareinvestor.com/pr...organ-stanley/

And it has its own property investment fund, so surely has its own short/long expectation on property price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomutomi View Post
    I have seen similar blunder statements from comp like morgan stanley and nomura on SG property. Nothing worth to talk about.

Morgan also predicting SG property down by 20% in 2013 lol

http://sph-vld7.shareinvestor.com/pr...organ-stanley/

And it has its own property investment fund, so surely has its own short/long expectation on property price.
    True, never use only one indicator.

I believe in Big Data.

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/...ia?xtor=CS3-17

Any idea how to know if the property buyers are first time buyer or investors? I hope this info published somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    You were lucky to buy at the right time in 2006 and hence there was no looking back. Imagine you if had bought your first property in 2013, your situation would be very different. You will be hoping that your investment would turn out well.

You have actually benefited from timing the market and now telling people timing is not important.
    If only I know how to time the market.

True I bought at the right time, I also show there are those who bought at the wrong time also.

It is not easy for everyone to see a picture with only one view.

A picture can be seen from a number of views depending on the person past and present experience.

Just sharing what I see, only Time can tell me whether I am right or wrong others only noise.

Each has to decide what is noise and what is not and let Time tell you the Truth.

This picture wakes me up, do this do the same to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    不入虎穴,奄得虎子!

Agree. 2012 when I sold my HDB and bought condo I know that it will difficult to pay monthly mortgage for the condo. So what I did I pay min Down payment using money from selling HDB and use the balance money to help my 3 year buffer. After 3 year salary increment I can pay the monthly mortgage without have to struggle to much.

With those major cooling measures still in place, and bank can't loan him to buy further as well, so have no worry to find much common folks jumping foolishy in again. There will be no more bull run for many many years ahead, so no need to be so excited about current market.
    A bottle of Lafite '82 for all my coffeeshop friends yesterday...many don't know what is it....haha...

Quote Originally Posted by walkthetiger View Post
    With those major cooling measures still in place, and bank can't loan him to buy further as well, so have no worry to find much common folks jumping foolishy in again. There will be no more bull run for many many years ahead, so no need to be so excited about current market.

Already 53 what more do I ask from God. Amen

Happy Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post

Already 53 what more do I ask from God. Amen

Happy Easter.

Amen. Happy Easter bro.

Many listed companies and Chinese companies are doing that especially if their target readers are the HNW (high networth) clients around the world.

That may be true. BUT then those reports will be written by those companies ... NOT A BANK like Morgan Stanley , not any bank.

At most the bank analyst can write is the SHARE VALUE of those companies...

You always talk about your purchase in year 2006 which was the year the market was at its lowest and many people fear of buying. I can only say either you are lucky or your timing was perfect then. Why don't you talk about your recent purchases between 2011 and 2013 when you bought at the high?

Indeed, we may not have many ten years to wait. However, we should bear in mind that property is not the only asset class worth investing.

We should not be overly concern with people who can afford to buy multiple properties for investment. If they are rich, no problem for them to take the risk. If they are not rich, they pray hard for the market to work their way. It is the group who save every penny to invest in their only property that need to be cautioned. For this group, it is worth waiting for the next ten years.

Then these group should not be concerned at all about private properties...

Apply BTO .. HDB sure make money ...

Then again there are many HDB dwellers/owners driving BMW Merc etc ... owning at the same time condos ...

The US financial meltdown was mainly due to banks like Goldman Sache and these banks' analysts. They are well rewarded by the rich and the powerful and also the people in power.

And that crisis rippled through the whole world...

Do you think a property Crash in Singapore will cause any kind of meltdown the rest of the world would worry ?

Timing is important when it comes to investment...in anything...

I too, bought most of my properties in 2005 and 2006.
    In fact I started looking in 2004, when the world was still recovering from SARS.

I had at that time a condo bought in 1997, which was the HIGH before Asian crisis.

By 2005, that condo was valued only at 60 pct of what i paid.

I also know, sell low, buy low..

So bought more in 2005 2006 ...

sold my fist condo (which fell to only 60pct) in 2008 at ABOVE purchase price. Market recovered.

I bought another landed in 2010 (considered high, higher than 2006 at least)

I bought another condo in 2011. And this is the one i am staying in now. The price hasnt moved (not down, not up)

I have stopped buying, only becos i am not happy to give $$ to govt (ABSD).

I am though looking at Commercial properties. (no ABSD)

Although there were times I told myself...mkt will come off.... there were times I told myself, It will chiong.

Since my first property in 1997, i have never seen prices retrace LOWER than its previous level.

For those who have followed my postings, they may recall me saying numerous times :

The right time to buy is when you know you can service the loans for the next 5 years.

Ask any woman, when they buy a Hermes or LV bag, Do you ever ask yourself, IS THIS THE HIGH?

Will prices drop ?

all these years, they have NEVER lowered their prices.

So i tend to agree with Arcachon

If you can afford it, there is not such time as Correct or best time.

after all, how many 10 years can you wait?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    Then these group should not be concerned at all about private properties...

Apply BTO .. HDB sure make money ...

Then again there are many HDB dwellers/owners driving BMW Merc etc ... owning at the same time condos ...
    The group who can afford multiple properties mostly has the mean to hold and or afford to loose if being forced to sell. They are not the subject of concern not that they themselves are not concern with the property market.

It is the group who need to save every penny for their first property that is the subject of concern.

That may be true. BUT then those reports will be written by those companies ... NOT A BANK like Morgan Stanley , not any bank.

At most the bank analyst can write is the SHARE VALUE of those companies...
    If you have been a HNW client with for long, you would learn not to trust what the banker or their analysts said. Most HNW clients know what they want and they make use of the banks to hold and execute their investments. The banks themselves are also vested with their own private funds which require short/long positions. There are simply too many "paid research" or "vested interest" papers from banks and research houses in the market. Foreign banks are the most guilty lot.

And that crisis rippled through the whole world...

Do you think a property Crash in Singapore will cause any kind of meltdown the rest of the world would worry ?
    Just a point to show what these bankers were capable of doing to achieve their desired results and not that the Singapore market can crash the world.

If the government does not intervene the property market, yes, prices could possibly double by 2030. However, the government is watching the market like a hawk so we can be very certain that it will not happen. The writer may not be wrong to speculate that prices will double without qualifying possibly government's intervention.

The common advice for them is to go for HDB, or HDB resales for first property if they qualify.

If their incomes do not qualify them for HDB (>14,000 p.m.) and they can come up with the deposit (20%), then there is very little to worry about. The moment they sell, the moment they can downgrade to a HDB resales.

If they are single, they have much less to worry about as financial commitments are minimal (as compared to a family). And if they have parents to take care of, surely they have a parent's HDB to retreat to.

The group who can afford multiple properties mostly has the mean to hold and or afford to loose if being forced to sell. They are not the subject of concern not that they themselves are not concern with the property market.

It is the group who need to save every penny for their first property that is the subject of concern.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

If the government does not intervene the property market, yes, prices could possibly double by 2030. However, the government is watching the market like a hawk so we can be very certain that it will not happen. The writer may not be wrong to speculate that prices will double without qualifying possibly government's intervention.
    Yes, Govt is watching all sectors like a hawk. They need more revenue.

Other than GLS, they also looking at COEs and all the taxes to see how to generate more revenues.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Last edited by Arcachon; 16-04-17 at 11:50.