Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Developers bidded $1b or 1051psf ppr for the Stirling road site

Quote Originally Posted by ccreporter View Post
    I paid absd.

As an investment, you don't need rental to cover mortgage, you only need rental to cover interest.

And 'how many 10 years do you have'
    Actually also need it to cover many other costs including:

maintenance fees (a few hundred bucks monthly) ,
    property taxes (a few thousands annually) ,
    mortgage insurance premiums (not mandatory but better have, easily 3-5% of purchase price for reasonable coverage)
    agent fees (assuming a few thousands annually if tenanted out)
    wear and tear etc.

Just covering interests alone not enough...

Quote Originally Posted by tonymontana View Post
    i think bro anythingwhatever was refering to ABSD of 3% which was payable before 2013. it was jacked up to 7% later.
    I see. Thanks for helping to clarify.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Astute move by China to give up Forrest City and invest in Sg direct.

Quote Originally Posted by tanghao View Post
    Astute move by China to give up Forrest City and invest in Sg direct.
    Maybe Tengah is the next target, being the Forest City clone here...

Would be great if those china developer bringing their devoted followers to buy during SG launch.

Same for those local here buying overseas property built by local developer like Capitaland.

we paid absd . it's true rents are dropping but i'm uncle already don't have much time left, since got spare money in cpf just kah kah hoot. basically same thinking as arcachon here, and also prices have moderated somewhat (by 20%). found it much easier to negotiate lower price these days although not everyone will firesale their unit. i still see singapore property as blue chip investment esp in / around this region. people talk about msia, Iskandar, bangkok (not cheap) vietnam etc. But i think singapore residential still the safest. stocks are OK but win some, lose some, and the tendency for stocks is to over trade since it's so liquid.

rental is tough, but can cover.
    For every cohort, the investment strategy was different. For this cohort, it is irrational to deploy CPF for investment property.

Making an investment means deploying idling money to earn better return; CPF is not idling money but deployed, it earns interest with compounding effect. Vic had explained this many times. For the 1990s cohort, it made sense to deploy CPF for property investment but not in this money-printing environment.

For every cohort, different types of property performed. For the 2010s (before CMs) cohort, the best performer (measured against sum deployed) was landed terrace and the worst performer CCR. Measured against capital deployed, the return from landed terrace was easily 600-700% in less than 2 years.

YBYM, you blink you miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuho View Post
    For every cohort, the investment strategy was different. For this cohort, it is irrational to deploy CPF for investment property.

Making an investment means deploying idling money to earn better return; CPF is not idling money but deployed, it earns interest with compounding effect. Vic had explained this many times. For the 1990s cohort, it made sense to deploy CPF for property investment but not in this money-printing environment.

For every cohort, different types of property performed. For the 2010s (before CMs) cohort, the best performer (measured against sum deployed) was landed terrace and the worst performer CCR. Measured against capital deployed, the return from landed terrace was easily 600-700% in less than 2 years.

YBYM, you blink you miss it.
    You could be right but I'm not so technical. I just like buying properties. And if one had bought during 2003-2004 like what some had done, i'm pretty darn sure the capital appreciation is better than keeping that money in cpf.
    Unless of course propsoul is right and market corrects another 50%. If that happens I guess I have to keep working till i'm 80.
    Last edited by tonymontana; 23-05-17 at 11:13.

Market corrects 50% before GE with 90% homeowners here in Singapore? Ask if we would like your most valuable possession to correct that much unless an external shock happens. I really hope I do not have to work till 80s. Maybe the East Asians would.

PropVestor

Quote Originally Posted by PropVestor View Post
    Market corrects 50% before GE with 90% homeowners here in Singapore? Ask if we would like your most valuable possession to correct that much unless an external shock happens. I really hope I do not have to work till 80s. Maybe the East Asians would.

PropVestor
    I'm quite sure market won't crash, that's why I bought a unit recently. just to give a balanced view, that's all. yeah, times are bad, rental sucks compared to 2012-2013. but is it really so bad compared to , say , Iskandar property? Seriously, I've tried other investments, but singapore property is still the safest asset class. In lieu of access to better and more stable investments, I guess I'm stuck. Just have to hold long term.

I'm quite sure market won't crash, that's why I bought a unit recently. just to give a balanced view, that's all. yeah, times are bad, rental sucks compared to 2012-2013. but is it really so bad compared to , say , Iskandar property? Seriously, I've tried other investments, but singapore property is still the safest asset class. In lieu of access to better and more stable investments, I guess I'm stuck. Just have to hold long term.
    Thats why I am hanging around here like you because we put our money where our mouth is. Bought at the peak in 2013 and another one 2 months ago. Both integrated developments which are largely unknown in returns and rental yields because they are very new to Singapore in both size and value. I share your views in viewing property as one of the safest asset class among other instruments around.
    No point building Singapore to a metropolis and see it all go down in another 50 years. I put my money here in my homeland.

Thats why I am hanging around here like you because we put our money where our mouth is. Bought at the peak in 2013 and another one 2 months ago. Both integrated developments which are largely unknown in returns and rental yields because they are very new to Singapore in both size and value. I share your views in viewing property as one of the safest asset class among other instruments around.
    No point building Singapore to a metropolis and see it all go down in another 50 years. I put my money here in my homeland.
    LOL.

Investing is not about how garang you are.

I never said that market is going to crash.

LOL.

Investing is not about how garang you are.
    So putting money in the CPF is?

So putting money in the CPF is?
    Is irrational if the purchase is an investment property.

But it is your money, who cares?

LOL. Not sure what you are doing here then. You should go to the CPF forum instead.

LOL. Not sure what you are doing here then. You should go to the CPF forum instead.
    You don't understand why CPF shouldn't be deployed for investment property in today's environment?

You don't understand why CPF shouldn't be deployed for investment property in today's environment?
    Its my money, who cares right?

Its my money, who cares right?

Right. LOL

I am very confident of singapore prospects long term, even though it is expensive to buy in. Btw, Singapore property market has a lot of "fans" even around this region. If not for the high barrier of entry, we 'd see a lot of foreign buying . anyway, If market crash 50% i will try my best to buy another bigger unit. Having said that, I do not go for new launches. I prefer older freehold property in as good a location as my budget allows.
    rental is just to help defray costs. the end game is always long term play (for me at least).
    Last edited by tonymontana; 23-05-17 at 15:14.

It is not true that using CPF to buy property is a poor investment decision.
    What is true is that CPF earns you 2.5% (or whatever) virtually risk free. Whereas if you use that CPF to invest in property, your property may fall in capital value further. However, remember that the property can also appreciate in value. So basically, it's no risk 2.5% vs taking a bet.
    on a side note, haven't you heard the saying:
    "CPF is govt money. Rental income is your money."

It is not true that using CPF to buy property is a poor investment decision.
    What is true is that CPF earns you 2.5% (or whatever) virtually risk free. Whereas if you use that CPF to invest in property, your property may fall in capital value further. However, remember that the property can also appreciate in value. So basically, it's no risk 2.5% vs taking a bet.
    on a side note, haven't you heard the saying:
    "CPF is govt money. Rental income is your money."
    Have not use CPF on both PC also peanut in CPF.

I let the monkey take care of my peanut.

"CPF is govt money. Rental income is your money." be careful using future money, have see lot of people regret.

Most of us here are to a certain extent confident about Singapore property, be it short/medium/long term, or we will not be making noise in this forum. Exposure to Singapore property is essential to most of our retirement planning. However, for myself, exposure to other products is also a must. Not all eggs in 1 basket mah. Unless you are 100% super confident, I am of the opinion that some diversification is required.

To be frank, the road ahead for Singapore is unlikely to be a bed of roses. Singapore may do very well, or we can also fall flat on our face. That is why, some exposure to US market (shares), European market, Japan market would be good. How much to allocate depends on your confidence lor. No fixed formula.

So need exposure to all these other market and service loan, where got so much $ right. Bo pian, service loan have to use CPF, at least a bit. Cash can deploy elsewhere. That is my view.

No risk no gain. Dodged a bullet in Walton. Lucky my project exited a few years back.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Probably you don't understand why people's CPF earning 2.5% per year peanuts should be deployed quickest possible to earn much higher returns?
    The problem is even if we want to invest all our CPF also cannot! So no choice got stuck with earning 2.5% peanuts!
    Those who don't will see their paper money end up like "toilet paper" or "hell $"............

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Probably you don't understand why people's CPF earning 2.5% per year peanuts should be deployed quickest possible to earn much higher returns?
    The problem is even if we want to invest all our CPF also cannot! So no choice got stuck with earning 2.5% peanuts!
    Those who don't will see their paper money end up like "toilet paper" or "hell $"............
    Did I say buying for investment is a bad idea today?

Rio casa get sold today.
    Next would be Eunosville.
    Hot hot hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Khng8 View Post
    Rental is still weak and from what I can see, rents still can't cover mortgage (or barely so). Not forgetting tax & maintenance cost etc.
    I'm curious if investors now are bullish because they see more immigrants supporting rental or stronger economic growth?
    Anybody paid absd recently to get back into the market?
    yes i paid 10% absd recently. waited too long, sian already.

Interesting. Freesoul buys property and propertysoul continues to avoid property.

Where did you purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    3rd and subsequent properties, power!!

Most people likely have just one or below...

central area, actually there are good bargains out there, better value for money than those new launches.