Thread: Are HDB residents tenants or owners?

Default Are HDB residents tenants or owners?

The report on the homes in Geylang Lorong 3 reaching the end of their leases highlights the issues surrounding leasehold properties (Govt taking back 191 homes in Geylang when lease ends; June 21).

While applying to rent out my HDB flat, I noticed that the Housing Board referred to me as a "tenant", and my potential tenant as a "sub-tenant".

I have paid up my HDB flat fully, and the title deed has been left in the safe possession of the HDB who, it appears, is my landlord.

Is that correct or should the wording of these documents be updated?

If I am an HDB tenant, why am I required to pay property tax?

Can we have some clarity on whether HDB dwellers are tenants or real home owners for 99 years?

Larry Leong

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/le...ants-or-owners

In the old days, HDB property Tax according to the people is called "Door Number Tax" 门牌税.

They were not told they are the property owner, they are not even allowed to sell their unit.

you are the lessee

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    you are the lessee
    Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by frumnat View Post
    Nonsense
    The agreement between HDB and the buyer is a LEASE agreement, and S&P nor tenancy agreement.
    So HDB is the lessor and the buyer is legally a lessee.

You mentioned I am nonsense, reflects you know nothing

The agreement between HDB and the buyer is a LEASE agreement, and S&P nor tenancy agreement.
    So HDB is the lessor and the buyer is legally a lessee.

You mentioned I am nonsense, reflects you know nothing
    Owner can sell HDB flat for financial gain/loss. Tenant (lessee) cannot. So based on your answer, I don’t know what you know.

Owner can sell HDB flat for financial gain/loss. Tenant (lessee) cannot. So based on your answer, I don’t know what you know.
    Only when the buyer is an approve buyer.

Of course you don't know what I know, but I know a lot of things you don't know.
    go and read HDB web before calling people nonsense.

Of course you don't know what I know, but I know a lot of things you don't know.
    go and read HDB web before calling people nonsense.
    Weak

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

HDB flat owners when they sell "their HDB flat", really they are only selling the "lease" subject to HDB approval.
    So, it is a FACT that regardless of what you like to call it, beautify it, HDB flat "owner" is really "owner" of a "long-term lease" bought from HDB board (until the HDB flat's lease expire).

HDB flat owner do not even own the land their HDB flat stands on (hence they cannot do enbloc like 99-years leasehold private property owners can do)!
    Thus, this is the reason why HDB flat owners cannot benefit from appreciation of the land their flats sit own through enbloc (while 99-years leasehold private property owners can as long as they enbloc at superb price!

Thus, HDB flat owners thought they have it "good" buying their flats at cheaper price than say private apartment owners (those without facilities, unlike condos), but really, that is because they just missed the forest from the tree!

Last edited by teddybear; 30-06-17 at 15:51.

Weak
    You still have a loooong way to make good money
    be more humble....don't over-think yourself as smart

Go and read more first before you challenge me without any substance to back you up

You still have a loooong way to make good money
    be more humble....don't over-think yourself as smart

Go and read more first before you challenge me without any substance to back you up
    Weak and angry.

Weak and angry.
    of course, you are weak and angry.

of course, you are weak and angry.
    LOL. Have a GREAT weekend.

So HDB has spoken. But I know many will disagree

"HDB buyers are home owners, not tenants" http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/le...ime=1500426147

"HDB buyers are home owners, not tenants" http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/le...ime=1500426147
    Still trying to confuse the Confused.

The person who made the complaint to HDB made a mistake using 'tenant' and gave HDB the opportunity to point out his error. The Title Deed stated clearly stated the buyer of HDB flat as "Lessee" and not "tenant". Lessee is the same as tenant. HDB is playing with words.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Still trying to confuse the Confused.
    Lol. The Confused will always be confused unless otherwise enlightened.

Doesn't matter.
    Give them back a few hundred dollars once a year (from the taxes collected from them) and they will be happy.
    As somebody wrote about interviewing the old people before GE, they say they will vote those who give them money..............

The person really hopeless!
    He/she should have consulted you, print out that clause from HDB title deed "with Lessee" and ask them to check the Dictonary what does that "Lessee" mean?

Quick! Somebody fire back to HDB and ask them what does the word "Lessee" doing in the HDB title deed?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    The person who made the complaint to HDB made a mistake using 'tenant' and gave HDB the opportunity to point out his error. The Title Deed stated clearly stated the buyer of HDB flat as "Lessee" and not "tenant". Lessee is the same as tenant. HDB is playing with words.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    He/she should have consulted you, print out that clause from HDB title deed "with Lessee" and ask them to check the Dictonary what does that "Lessee" mean?

Quick! Somebody fire back to HDB and ask them what does the word "Lessee" doing in the HDB title deed?
    No need lah, lay man will be lay man let them have a bit of happiness of knowing they Know.

No need lah, lay man will be lay man let them have a bit of happiness of knowing they Know.
    wrong response!

Doesn't matter.
    Give them back a few hundred dollars once a year (from the taxes collected from them) and they will be happy.
    As somebody wrote about interviewing the old people before GE, they say they will vote those who give them money..............
    Sorry!

Still unclear if HDB buyers are owners or lessees
    PUBLISHED5 HOURS AGO

As a layman, I am still confused by the HDB's reply that purchasers of HDB flats are owners (HDB buyers are home owners, not tenants; July 19).

I live in an HDB flat and have a duplicate lease.

The lease was executed by me and my spouse many years ago as a lessee in the presence of a lessor - an HDB representative.

My understanding is that HDB purchasers are lessees and the HDB is the lessor.

There is a distinct difference between owners and lessees.

As more than 80 per cent of residents are purchasers, can the HDB be clearer in its response?

Andrew Seow Chwee Guan

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    Still unclear if HDB buyers are owners or lessees
    PUBLISHED5 HOURS AGO

As a layman, I am still confused by the HDB's reply that purchasers of HDB flats are owners (HDB buyers are home owners, not tenants; July 19).

I live in an HDB flat and have a duplicate lease.

The lease was executed by me and my spouse many years ago as a lessee in the presence of a lessor - an HDB representative.

My understanding is that HDB purchasers are lessees and the HDB is the lessor.

There is a distinct difference between owners and lessees.

As more than 80 per cent of residents are purchasers, can the HDB be clearer in its response?

Andrew Seow Chwee Guan
    You will get a politically correct response from HDB.

You will get a politically correct response from HDB.
    Indeed. But seriously why are these people so concerned that they are lessee and not owner? So that they don’t have to pay property tax and conservancy fee?

Hypothetically, let say HDB really says okay and you no longer need to pay property tax and conservancy fee because you are a lessee. BUT no whatsoever rebates and GST vouchers given anymore in future. And if you ever want to sell your flat, you have to seek HDB’s approval depending on valuation and market condition at their absolute discretion. HDB says no then you suck thumb, appeal and see MP. Lessee mah. How would that sound to them?