Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: D9 and D11, which district is better?

Default D9 and D11, which district is better?

Hi, I am a newbie in this forum and I am now looking for a condo in the central region for own use, budget is about 1.8-2m.

Initially, I want to look for an old freehold condo in D9 (2-3 rooms).
    However, after looking for several units in D9, my agent suggests me to look for condo in D11 and keep saying that D11 is better than D9 for school network and future growth potential. I note that the price for D11 condo is similar to that in D9, so I am confuse whether D11 is really better than D9 in term of growth potential.

I would like to obtain the views from all of you before making the decision. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DCC View Post
    Hi, I am a newbie in this forum and I am now looking for a condo in the central region for own use, budget is about 1.8-2m.

However, after looking for several units in D9, my agent suggests me to look for condo in D11 and keep saying that D11 is better than D9 for school network and future growth potential. I note that the price for D11 condo is similar to that in D9, so I am confuse whether D11 is really better than D9 in term of growth potential.

I would like to obtain the views from all of you before making the decision. Thanks.
    With the limited inform, this is the view from me.

Nobody know which area got better growth potential, if anyone know they must be very rich.

both good, just different type of living.
    D9 is more for happening , cosmopolitan city living. bars, dining, shopping.
    D11 is more for peaceful, more family oriented activity, good schools .

if it's for own use, there must be a reason you chose D9. So contrast whatever image you have of living near orcahrd vs say watten estate.

Why must you consider D9 and D11 only. Why not other areas? Look closely at the Masterplan and you will know when and where to buy next.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    Why must you consider D9 and D11 only. Why not other areas? Look closely at the Masterplan and you will know when and where to buy next.
    I studied the master plan but dunno when and where to buy?
    Many people asking me this question, and I just have no answer

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    Buy Geylang or Jurong best.

There is no one single answer.

It depends on purpose and time frame to look at.

What's one's age, stability of income, size of income, family situations...

One man's meat may be another's poison. No need to advise actually.

As long as it meets one's objective of purchase. There is a reason why it's called real estate. But what's reality differs from person to person.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by anythingwhatever View Post
    Buy Geylang or Jurong best.
    both district i dislike. Geylang will always be geylang, stigma is there. and Jurong is overpriced.
    I'd go for D15 for growth story. it's near enough to PLQ.

me neither. i just go with gut feeling. and my gut feeling tells me i prefer d9 for investment , own stay i prefer d10 or d11.
    (although all three d9,10,11 are great investment areas)

I will look for PLAB flight path property.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    I will look for PLAB flight path property.
    I already got one in the bag.

http://www.maphotosg.com/constraints-rsaf-air-bases/
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Many thanks to all of you.

Several points of feedback:

1) I open this topic is to verify what my property agent say - D11 is better than D9 in term of schools and future growth potential, is true or not. The answer is for schools it may be true, but for growth potential D9 vs D11 vs other districts, there is no clear answer.

2) Why I only look for D9 & D11? It is because I work in Raffles Place and I want to buy a condo that is near my office.
    Currently, I live in the countryside and spend 1 hour (door to door) x 2 everyday in transportation, which is painful.

I also note that the prices (per sqft) in other districts are quite similar to D9 & D11, e.g. Tanjong Pagar (little bit higher than D9), Telok Blangah (little bit lower), Tiong bahru (similar), Queenstown (little bit lower but no freehold), parkway parade (little bit lower but far from my office), Bishan & Toa payoh (both are little bit lower but far from my office). It seems that D9 & D11 are better in terms of price & environment compare with other districts.

3) As I only have limited budget and the market seems movement now, I decide to pick the condos in both districts as long as it can fit my budget and look nice.

Depends on what you like. Personally I like D9 better. Walkable to Orchard/Somerset, lots of F&B options especially if your apartment is near Robertson Quay, tonnes of FH/999 years options and nearer to Raffles Place. Budget wise, it is doable to find a decent 3-bedroom condo that is 10-15 years old in that area. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian View Post
    Depends on what you like. Personally I like D9 better. Walkable to Orchard/Somerset, lots of F&B options especially if your apartment is near Robertson Quay, tonnes of FH/999 years options and nearer to Raffles Place. Budget wise, it is doable to find a decent 3-bedroom condo that is 10-15 years old in that area. Happy hunting.
    Why is it such a big deal that it is walkable to Orchard/sumerset? What is there that is worth your time to visit? Orchard/Sumerset is dying a slow death. No one goes there except those looking for a hooker.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

People like you are only suitable to live in the OCR to squeeze with the foreign workers.......

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad View Post
    Why is it such a big deal that it is walkable to Orchard/sumerset? What is there that is worth your time to visit? Orchard/Sumerset is dying a slow death. No one goes there except those looking for a hooker.

Many thanks to all of you.

Several points of feedback:

1) I open this topic is to verify what my property agent say - D11 is better than D9 in term of schools and future growth potential, is true or not. The answer is for schools it may be true, but for growth potential D9 vs D11 vs other districts, there is no clear answer.

2) Why I only look for D9 & D11? It is because I work in Raffles Place and I want to buy a condo that is near my office.
    Currently, I live in the countryside and spend 1 hour (door to door) x 2 everyday in transportation, which is painful.

in both districts as long as it can fit my budget and look nice.
    If u have children, it would be more painful for the children on the road than you. So D11 is better than D9 if ur thinking and your children can get into those schools. If not D9 would be a better one.

On top of this, u may change job....then ru going to change your house as well

BTW..getting a grab could be a cheaper choice.

Laguna, you hear?

Buy where it is getting more and moar congested.

You mean like Payar Lebar where for the past 10 years the traffic is already very heavily congested, and it will become even more heavily congested because Gov want to make it a 2nd CBD and it is becoming a huge construction site BUT there is no space to widen the roads there?
    Think I have a good idea: Ban all heavy vehicles and lorries within that area and make them transport goods by MRT, oh hack!, might as well ban all vehicles within that area and everybody takes MRT and transport goods by MRT, and congestion problem solved! Like that Gov don't have to spend a single cent to expand roads and can still collect more money from THOUSAND years historical peak land sale price!

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuho View Post
    Laguna, you hear?

Laguna, you hear?

yaya, I am here..
    congested ? depends on which sector of population ur talking about.
    Hospital is the worst...then perhaps..old folks home and then hawker centre

Look at Cairnhill....block to block...forget about it...I need space and peace to have a proper life

You can try here:
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/place/Jln+Arnap/
    Quiet landed area within 500m from Orchard MRT station and Ion.
    It is like you go from a bustling shopping area into a peaceful quiet heaven..........

If you wanted condos, then it could be here:
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/'...ce+google+map/
    (choose the pool view units)
    or
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/'...es+google+map/

The above are all RARE freehold landed and private condos in CCR within Orchard area, near Singapore's bustling prime shopping belt and yet located in a quiet and peaceful corner (not congested area).

yaya, I am here..

Look at Cairnhill....block to block...forget about it...I need space and peace to have a proper life
    Last edited by teddybear; 30-07-17 at 10:24.

What's more, condos like Paterson Suites and Paterson Residences are now going for $2300 psf or less, they are all FREEHOLD, and much more value for money and in more prestigeous locations along Paterson Road / Paterson Hill area (just opposite Singapore most expensive private condo, The MarQ @Paterson, which once sold at $6840 psf!),

as compared to Martin Moderns, a 99-years leasehold private condo also selling at $2300+ psf (the HIGHEST PRICED condo in that area despite being 99-years leasehold surrounded by mostly freehold properties), in a much lousier location, near a noisy temple and much further from Ochard shopping area and MRT station.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    You can try here:
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/place/Jln+Arnap/
    Quiet landed area within 500m from Orchard MRT station and Ion.
    It is like you go from a bustling shopping area into a peaceful quiet heaven..........

If you wanted condos, then it could be here:
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/'...ce+google+map/
    (choose the pool view units)
    or
    https://www.google.com.sg/maps/dir/'...es+google+map/

The above are all RARE freehold landed and private condos in CCR within Orchard area, near Singapore's bustling prime shopping belt and yet located in a quiet and peaceful corner (not congested area).

You know there value properties that are busy on weekdays but quiet on weekend with garment pumping in lots of money in the next 5-10 years.
    yaya, I am here..

You mean like Payar Lebar where for the past 10 years the traffic is already very heavily congested, and it will become even more heavily congested because Gov want to make it a 2nd CBD and it is becoming a huge construction site BUT there is no space to widen the roads there?
    Think I have a good idea: Ban all heavy vehicles and lorries within that area and make them transport goods by MRT, oh hack!, might as well ban all vehicles within that area and everybody takes MRT and transport goods by MRT, and congestion problem solved! Like that Gov don't have to spend a single cent to expand roads and can still collect more money from THOUSAND years historical peak land sale price!
    Not I said one.

yaya, I am here..

True.

Then Landed should be the option for you.

Laguna, you hear?

singapore property in general, blue chip investment within this region.
    and furthermore - d9,10,11 - blue chip investment within this island.
    so anywhere in those three district should be good!

furthermore TS is looking for older freehold condo, and prices have dropped for 16 quarters.
    should be quite safe, No?

What's more, condos like Paterson Suites and Paterson Residences are now going for $2300 psf or less, they are all FREEHOLD, and much more value for money and in more prestigeous locations along Paterson Road / Paterson Hill area (just opposite Singapore most expensive private condo, The MarQ @Paterson, which once sold at $6840 psf!),

as compared to Martin Moderns, a 99-years leasehold private condo also selling at $2300+ psf (the HIGHEST PRICED condo in that area despite being 99-years leasehold surrounded by mostly freehold properties), in a much lousier location, near a noisy temple and much further from Ochard shopping area and MRT station.
    1000 years 1000% Agree. Good pick, however check the quantum. The problem is the quantum. at 4m a pop for PS you could get a reasonable freehold house, No?
    that's why i said before, if I'm worth 30m , things are different.

as compared to Martin Moderns, a 99-years leasehold private condo also selling at $2300+ psf .
    My agent took me to visit Martin Modern show flats last weekend. The condo is very pretty. During my 1 hour visit, 5 units had been sold out.

As the market is moving now.........I just wonder if it is good to buy one unit of Martin Modern or continue looking for the 2nd hand condo (most of the units that I have visited are 2nd or 3rd floor =.=).........

With budget of $1.8-2mil, you can consider the nearby FH Oleanas Residences (the high floor units have pretty much unblocked views, and some can see the Marina Bay Area); or Aspen Heights which is 999years.

However, Aspen is a huge development, hence chances of enbloc can be remote. For Aspen, the ones facing Oxley have pretty much unblocked views of Orchard/Somerset/Dhoby Ghaut area too.

Japanese and Koreans somehow love that area due to its proximity to Liang Court, so if your unit comes with a bathroom that has a bathtub, do remember to keep the bathtub. This is a priority for the Japs.

Temple wise, it is quite ok in terms of noise. Not much foot traffic there, except for some elderly folks who go there on the 1st/15th day of lunar calendar. They are not rowdy, and most come via public transport. It is a pretty nice area to live in. Away from the truly noisy/rowdy crowd (esp during Soccer season) at Robertson Quay, but walkable. Fort Canning station (DTL) is not far (before Liang Court), or Somerset MRT (NSL) is also walkable. Fort Canning Hill is awesome for evening strolls too.

Go walk around the neighbourhood. Most of the FH/999 year condos there are around $1450-$1600 psf, and $1.8-2m can get you a decent sized 3-bedder. Good luck with your search!

[QUOTE=new2mondrian;529384]FH Oleanas Residences or Aspen Heights [QUOTE]

I will ask my agent to arrange a visit to these 2 condo.

BTW, in my case, your opinion is that getting a relatively old Freehold/999yr condo unit (such as Oleanas Residences or Aspen Heights) is better than buying a new 99yr unit (such as Martin Modern), right?

[QUOTE=DCC;529409][QUOTE=new2mondrian;529384]FH Oleanas Residences or Aspen Heights

I will ask my agent to arrange a visit to these 2 condo.

BTW, in my case, your opinion is that getting a relatively old Freehold/999yr condo unit (such as Oleanas Residences or Aspen Heights) is better than buying a new 99yr unit (such as Martin Modern), right?
    There is no right or wrong. It goes down to the price point. I have two 99 yr condos in my portfolio as well. It goes does to location, and the psf. Martin Modern is not a bad buy for self stay, especially if u are looking at the three bedders which are going ard $2-2.1m.

But I am an investor and my focus is on psf, location and yield. From this perspective, older condos provide better value. Hope I am making sense.