Thread: Don't know what to say.

Default Don't know what to say.

Some of the happiest middle-aged people I have encountered are those who have planned creatively for other options later in life... But it is the way they manage their finances that intrigues me. Rather than continue to accumulate assets, their chief priority is to preserve whatever they possess and allow the magic of compounding to grow their assets.

Reflecting on their experience, one major decision now that I have reached the threshold of autumn myself is to change the manner I invest in order to enhance my financial well-being. What simplifies matters is that I have no outstanding loan to pay off, so the objective is to ensure that capital preservation takes precedence over merely aiming for a high investment return.

In the end, I find that the Central Provident Fund is the best option in offering me financial security while giving a level of return I am comfortable with, unless inflation takes off in a big way.

As I turned 55 this year, a sum of $161,000 - the so-called Full Retirement Sum - was transferred from my CPF Special Account to the newly created CPF Retirement Account. After this sum has been set aside for my basic retirement needs, I can choose to take out whatever remaining balances I have in my CPF Ordinary and Special Accounts if I want to.

I also took up the option to top up my Retirement Account by $80,500 to raise the sum there to $241,500, which is the Enhanced Retirement Sum (ERS) this year. The carrot in doing so is to get an attractive risk-free return of 4 per cent on the additional money that I put in.

Assuming that the ERS is raised by about 3 per cent a year, that will enable me to make further top-ups to my Retirement Account by that quantum every year for the next 10 years. It will enable the sum in it to escalate to almost $500,000, including accrued interest, by the time I turn 65.

That, I thought, was the end of the story where beefing up my financial security using CPF is concerned.

Then I found out that I could put money into my CPF Ordinary Account by making a partial or full refund of the CPF savings which I had withdrawn to buy my home, as well as the accrued interest on the withdrawn sum, even though I haven't sold the property.

That opened up an entirely new ball-game for me. If I find myself with surplus cash, should I keep it in the bank where the best fixed deposit rate I currently enjoy is 1.4 per cent, or use it to repay CPF in order to enjoy the much higher 2.5 per cent interest that I can get in my Ordinary Account?

There is another attraction: Since I am past 55 and I have already set aside the Full Retirement Sum in the Retirement Account, I have the flexibility to withdraw the money any time if I need it. This effectively turns my CPF Ordinary account into a high-yield savings account.

Of course, the best option would be to continue to keep the money liquid in a bank if there is a possibility of interest rates going up sharply after Mr Donald Trump takes office as US president. This is because Singdollar interest rates closely track US interest rates.

But I have an awful hunch that interest rates will continue to stay low for a long time, as the ageing population and declining birth rates across the developed world combine to depress economic growth and consumer spending.

This is despite any short-term boost to interest rates from the fiscal stimulus in the form of big tax cuts and huge infrastructural spending promised by Mr Trump when he takes office.

In that case, I may be better off just keeping any excess cash I have in the CPF Ordinary Account. Even at a relatively paltry interest rate of 2.5 per cent, the money in it would have grown by almost 30 per cent in 10 years after compounding.

So, in the end, for better or worse, I find myself writing out another cheque to CPF - this time to refund part of the CPF savings which I had withdrawn to buy my home.

One interesting upshot is that after doing all these various adjustments to my finances, I feel liberated financially as I get ready to enjoy the autumn of my years. Like the gorgeous fall colours I saw in Arashiyama, the best season in life may lie in my autumnal years.

http://createwealth8888.blogspot.sg/...ancial_18.html

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Ignorant is a bliss I suppose for many?
    What many saw in the extra 4% p.a. return from 55-65 years old, they didn't see that their money actually attracts extra taxes thereafter after 65 years old unless they live pass 85 years old.............

And if people finds 4% p.a. return (let alone 2.5% p.a.) to be attractive, it is clear that the person is a financial idiot..........

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Some of the happiest middle-aged people I have encountered are those who have planned creatively for other options later in life... But it is the way they manage their finances that intrigues me. Rather than continue to accumulate assets, their chief priority is to preserve whatever they possess and allow the magic of compounding to grow their assets.

Reflecting on their experience, one major decision now that I have reached the threshold of autumn myself is to change the manner I invest in order to enhance my financial well-being. What simplifies matters is that I have no outstanding loan to pay off, so the objective is to ensure that capital preservation takes precedence over merely aiming for a high investment return.

In the end, I find that the Central Provident Fund is the best option in offering me financial security while giving a level of return I am comfortable with, unless inflation takes off in a big way.

As I turned 55 this year, a sum of $161,000 - the so-called Full Retirement Sum - was transferred from my CPF Special Account to the newly created CPF Retirement Account. After this sum has been set aside for my basic retirement needs, I can choose to take out whatever remaining balances I have in my CPF Ordinary and Special Accounts if I want to.

I also took up the option to top up my Retirement Account by $80,500 to raise the sum there to $241,500, which is the Enhanced Retirement Sum (ERS) this year. The carrot in doing so is to get an attractive risk-free return of 4 per cent on the additional money that I put in.

Assuming that the ERS is raised by about 3 per cent a year, that will enable me to make further top-ups to my Retirement Account by that quantum every year for the next 10 years. It will enable the sum in it to escalate to almost $500,000, including accrued interest, by the time I turn 65.

That, I thought, was the end of the story where beefing up my financial security using CPF is concerned.

Then I found out that I could put money into my CPF Ordinary Account by making a partial or full refund of the CPF savings which I had withdrawn to buy my home, as well as the accrued interest on the withdrawn sum, even though I haven't sold the property.

That opened up an entirely new ball-game for me. If I find myself with surplus cash, should I keep it in the bank where the best fixed deposit rate I currently enjoy is 1.4 per cent, or use it to repay CPF in order to enjoy the much higher 2.5 per cent interest that I can get in my Ordinary Account?

There is another attraction: Since I am past 55 and I have already set aside the Full Retirement Sum in the Retirement Account, I have the flexibility to withdraw the money any time if I need it. This effectively turns my CPF Ordinary account into a high-yield savings account.

Of course, the best option would be to continue to keep the money liquid in a bank if there is a possibility of interest rates going up sharply after Mr Donald Trump takes office as US president. This is because Singdollar interest rates closely track US interest rates.

But I have an awful hunch that interest rates will continue to stay low for a long time, as the ageing population and declining birth rates across the developed world combine to depress economic growth and consumer spending.

This is despite any short-term boost to interest rates from the fiscal stimulus in the form of big tax cuts and huge infrastructural spending promised by Mr Trump when he takes office.

In that case, I may be better off just keeping any excess cash I have in the CPF Ordinary Account. Even at a relatively paltry interest rate of 2.5 per cent, the money in it would have grown by almost 30 per cent in 10 years after compounding.

So, in the end, for better or worse, I find myself writing out another cheque to CPF - this time to refund part of the CPF savings which I had withdrawn to buy my home.

One interesting upshot is that after doing all these various adjustments to my finances, I feel liberated financially as I get ready to enjoy the autumn of my years. Like the gorgeous fall colours I saw in Arashiyama, the best season in life may lie in my autumnal years.

http://createwealth8888.blogspot.sg/...ancial_18.html

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    What many saw in the extra 4% p.a. return from 55-65 years old, they didn't see that their money actually attracts extra taxes thereafter after 65 years old unless they live pass 85 years old.............

And if people finds 4% p.a. return (let alone 2.5% p.a.) to be attractive, it is clear that the person is a financial idiot..........
    Oh really for a risk free 4% ? Can you show me where can get risk free 4%? no risk? Pls advice? I think you sound more like the financial bigot.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

What's wrong with the 2.5%, 4% when CPF is risk-free.

Everyone is different, each has his own level risk aversion.

If 4% is bad, you mean bond investors are also financial idiots. Even good grade bond also carried a degree of risk, depending on who is the issuer.

You are not a bond holder ? Futures is risk-free ? And you expect everyone to be able to trade futures.

Stock investment is risk-free ? If yes, then why kept harping on Noble Group.

Those who talked about returns without stating the inherent risk of the instrument, are plain trying to mislead.

For property investment, to attain a gross yield of 3% the CPF deployed must generate more than 5.6% to compensate for the accrued interest. Money coming out of your pocket no need to count siboh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuho View Post

If 4% is bad, you mean bond investors are also financial idiots. Even good grade bond also carried a degree of risk, depending on who is the issuer.

You are not a bond holder ? Futures is risk-free ? And you expect everyone to be able to trade futures.

Those who talked about returns without stating the inherent risk of the instrument, are plain trying to mislead.

For property investment, to attain a gross yield of 3% the CPF deployed must generate more than 5.6% to compensate for the accrued interest. Money coming out of your pocket no need to count siboh ?
    You are right, do you see something others don't.

For property investment, to attain a gross yield of 3% the CPF deployed must generate more than 5.6% to compensate for the accrued interest.

Or you don't see what others do.

As I mentioned:
    What many saw in the extra 4% p.a. return from 55-65 years old, they didn't see that their money actually attracts extra taxes thereafter after 65 years old unless they live pass 85 years old

The LOSSES after 65 years old (unless you live pass 85 years old) is NOT RISK FREE, it is GUARANTEE 100% LOSSES!

There are so many financial instruments in the world, and if some instruments (like bonds and CPF) only giving you 4% p.a., why buy unless you are financial idiot (or alternatively you are managing other people's money so low return is not your concern since you will continue to take a cut of the money regardless of whether you make money or lose money for them!).

That is why it is so STUPID to buy OCR private properties at such OBSCENE THOUSAND YEARS historical PEAK price NOW!

What many saw in the extra 4% p.a. return from 55-65 years old, they didn't see that their money actually attracts extra taxes thereafter after 65 years old unless they live pass 85 years old
    I must have miss something what extra taxes, can share.

As I mentioned:

The LOSSES after 65 years old (unless you live pass 85 years old) is NOT RISK FREE, it is GUARANTEE 100% LOSSES!

There are so many financial instruments in the world, and if some instruments (like bonds and CPF) only giving you 4% p.a., why buy unless you are financial idiot (or alternatively you are managing other people's money so low return is not your concern since you will continue to take a cut of the money regardless of whether you make money or lose money for them!).

That is why it is so STUPID to buy OCR private properties at such OBSCENE THOUSAND YEARS historical PEAK price NOW!
    Not disputing the tax part, but it is his choice.

I know more about financial instruments than you la.

So, according to you, bond investors are also financial idiots ?

As I mentioned:

USUAL BULLLSHIT... one moment say 80 then slowly move to 85 then change to some other age again when debunked. I SMELL LOADS OF BULLSHIT
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Facts - There is very little ultra low risk investments giving 2.5% - 4% returns. I can't think of even 1.

Facts - Ever since he has complained about OCR prices, those who bought already collected a few hundred thousands rental. Continue to complain while other people continue to collect rental. Even those who bought new units (eg: Glades studios) are seeing 100 to 150k paper gain already. Launch price was 600+k. Now already 800k++.

minority,
    Wow!
    Didn't know you the BIGGEST LIAR here is still around to spill more LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The BIGGEST LIAR here calling other people BULLSHIT? Wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you spill more LIES, why don't you clarify your previous LIES:

minority,
    Since you are still around here, why not you confirm to us whether you are claiming that Olam (majority controlled by Temasek) has rigged its book in order to avoid paying taxes on capital injection???? (since you claimed that PUB must pay taxes on Gov's capital injection!)

Wow!
    minority the BIGGEST LIAR here is still around and continue to spill more LIES??????

minority,
    Since you are still around here, why not you confirm to us whether you are claiming that Olam has rigged its book in order to avoid paying taxes on capital injection???? (since you claimed that PUB must pay taxes on Gov's capital injection!)

The truth actually is, your statement suit you very well:
    DONT COME F**K LIE LAH.

BLOODY LIAR!!!!

minority,

More bullshit from you? Ha ha ha!

If capital injection must be included as revenue/profit, then why Olam put "Capital Injection" as an item in "Cash flows from investing activities"?

You can see the FACTS here in Page 19:
    http://49tmko49h46b4e0czy3rlqaye1b.w...eport_FY16.pdf

So, if based on what you said, capital injection must be included as revenue/profit, then are you telling us that Olam is then trying to avoid income taxes by putting "capital injection $" as "Cash flows from investing activities"?

You claimed that:

SHOW ME IN IRAS SAY GOVERNMENT CONTRIBUTION ARE NOT TAXABLE?? SHOW ME!!! PROVE ME WRONG!
    COMPANY A NEGATIVE GET A CONTRIBUTION FROM COMPANY B AND A END THE BOOKS POSITIVE! SO SHOULD HAVE NO TAX!!!???? WTF LOGIC???

Based on what you claimed, Olam should have reflected the "capital injection $" into revenue/profit in Income Statement and pay the corporate income taxes for this amount! By putting "capital injection $" in "Cash flows from investing activities", Olam has avoided paying corporate income taxes for this amount!

So minority, are you accusing Olam of trying rig its book to avoid paying income taxes (and considering that Olam if majority-controlled by Temasek!)????????

minority,
    Don't come here to bullshit to malign Olam and Temasek ok?!

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    OH HOW IS INJECTION INTO A COMPANY NOT BE CONSIDERED INCOME? DIDN'T THE BOOKS END UP POSITIVE AFTER??? SHOW ME IN IRAS SAY GOVERNMENT CONTRIBUTION ARE NOT TAXABLE?? SHOW ME!!! PROVE ME WRONG!

SO A F**K LIKE YOU RUN COMPANIES

COMPANY A NEGATIVE GET A CONTRIBUTION FROM COMPANY B AND A END THE BOOKS POSITIVE! SO SHOULD HAVE NO TAX!!!???? WTF LOGIC??? COZ BOOKS WAS POSITIVE BEFORE INJECTION???

AND COMPANY B WAS POSITIVE BUT AFTER THAT CONTRIBUTION TO A BECOME NEGATIVE??? SO NO TAX FOR COMPANY B TOO?????

DONT COME F**K LIE LAH.

FACT IS BOOKS WAS POSITIVE AFTER CONTRIBUTION THUS TAX ARE PAID!

SO DONT COME TWIST THE FACT THAT PUB WAS NEGATIVE BEFORE GOVERNMENT CONTRIBUTION!!!

COME COME U DONT AGREE I CHALLENGE U GO MAKE A POLICE REPORT ON CORPORATE FRAUD!!!! GO!!! SHOW US LEH!!!!

BLOODY LIAR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    USUAL BULLLSHIT... one moment say 80 then slowly move to 85 then change to some other age again when debunked. I SMELL LOADS OF BULLSHIT

When I see such phrases, it always make me laugh until I fall off the chair.............

You don't even know me and you said you know more about financial instruments than I?
    This is sure sign of dog eye see people low and tarzan don't know oh yee oh? Ha ha ha!
    When we hear people said such thing, we know their capability are likely limited and their eyes are short-sighted, no doubt about it!

Not disputing the tax part, but it is his choice.

I know more about financial instruments than you la.

So, according to you, bond investors are also financial idiots ?

You said:
    very little ultra low risk investments giving 2.5% - 4% returns?
    If so good did you VOLUNTARILY put ALL your SPARE MONEY into CPF?

If so good they don't even need to force people to contribute to CPF and mandate that they must keep minimum of $171,000 in their CPF! They can make CPF voluntary and still many people will VOLUNTEER WILLINGLY to contribute without even being forced!

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    Facts - There is very little ultra low risk investments giving 2.5% - 4% returns. I can't think of even 1.

Facts - Ever since he has complained about OCR prices, those who bought already collected a few hundred thousands rental. Continue to complain while other people continue to collect rental. Even those who bought new units (eg: Glades studios) are seeing 100 to 150k paper gain already. Launch price was 600+k. Now already 800k++.

You are one of the oldest bird here and why you didn't read the forum postings here:
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...802#post523802

Or you read already but still cannot understand??????

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    I must have miss something what extra taxes, can share.
    More independent calculations by others, which tally with my calculations that if a male can only live till 80 years old, you LOSE MONEY BIG BIG under CPF Life!
    Why so?
    Please read article in below link..............
    https://leongszehian.com/?p=14766

Male has to live beyond age 90 to be better off under CPF Life Standard Plan

I used the CPF Life Payout Estimator on 14 January 2017 with a male date of birth of 12 January 1962 (age 55) and $166,000 in the Retirement Account – the results for the Life Standard Plan – monthly payout from age 65 is $1,289 – $1,420 – Bequest at age 65 ($239,344 – $249,632), age 75 ($79,172 – $84,572) and age 85 ($0).

After withdrawing $1,355 ($1,289 + $1,420 divided by 2) monthly until age 75, the account balance is estimated to be about $178,000.

Worse off by $96,128 at age 75?

So, does it mean that if one dies at age 75, he would in a sense, have lost about $96,128 ($178,000 – $81,872 ($79,172 + $84,572 divided by 2) bequest)?

After withdrawing $1,355 monthly until age 85, the account balance is estimated to be $74,325.

Worse off by $74,325 at age 85?

So, does it mean that if one dies at age 85, he would in a sense, have lost about $74,325 ($74,325 – $0 bequest).

By the way, what is the bequest at age 80?

The account is estimated to become $0, after about 25 years, or after about 90 years old.

Live beyond age 90 to be better off?

In other words, does it arguably, mean that one has to live beyond age 90, in order to be better off under the CPF Life Standard Plan, compared to just making monthly withdrawals from one’s Retirement account, until the money runs out.

Of course this option to make monthly withdrawals until the money runs out (the former CPF Minimum Sum scheme withdrawal) is no longer available with CPF Life being mandatory now.

What is the probability that a male will live beyond age 90?

Female has to live beyond age 93 to be better off
    Similarly, if you are a female, your estimated monthly life annuity is lower at about $1,262 – and correspondingly, does it mean that you may have to live beyond age 93 in order to be better off
    So, what’s the probability of a female living beyond age 93?
    minority,

Wow! More falsehoods and half-truths from you again, quoting those people who failed their Math or trying to propagandizing half-truths and lies....

Let me just tear through your falsehoods and LIES and half-truths with HARD-TRUTH MATHEMATICS that cannot be faked (and not empty numbers with nothing to back up as told by these people)...

Assumptions: ( Exactly same as http://dollarsandsense.sg/is-the-cpf...ally-that-bad/ )
    1) Drawdown age remains at 65 years old
    2) Payout remains at S$1,200
    3) Current interest rates of CPF will remain unchanged
    4) The minimum sum of S$155,000 is attained at age 55 years old
    5) Life expectancy based on World Bank is at 82.1 years old
    6) Ten year average inflation based on World Bank at 2.73%

FALSE results/conclusions from http://dollarsandsense.sg/is-the-cpf...ally-that-bad/ )
    Results:
    1) The amount accumulated at age 65 is approximately S$216,000
    2) The effective interest rate is 3.32% per year
    3) It takes 21 years and 4 months to completely wipe out the S$216,000
    4) There will still be S$67,100 in the CPF, when an individual survives until 82.1 years old

- Don't know whether this person failed his MATH or he is trying to lie???

REAL HARD-TRUTH RESULTS (from me, BACKED UP BY FACTS and REAL MATH!!!...):
    Results:
    1) If a MALE has S$155,000 in CPF Retirement Account at age 55 years old, The amount accumulated at age 65 is ACTULLY approximately = $242,000 (NOT $216,000!)
    (based on 4% interest paid by CPF, with an extra 1% for the first $60,000, and an additional extra 1% for the first $30,000).

2) The effective interest rate DEPENDS ON HOW OLD YOU CAN LIVE!

3) How many years and months it takes to completely wipe out your amount of $242,000 depends on how much interest CPF Life is actually paying you (other than the known payout amount per month)!!! So you just need to know what is the interest/return you are getting from CPF Life to a certain age and you will know whether you are getting the raw end of the stick!!

4) CPF Life states that BEQUEST is ZERO when a MALE hits 85 years old!!
    CPF Life states that BEQUEST is about $40,000 when a MALE hits 75 years old!!!
    CPF Life never says what is the BEQUEST for a MALE at 82.1 years old, so how does that author obtain "There will still be S$67,100 in the CPF, when an individual survives until 82.1 years old"???
    Is he trying to inflat the real figure for BEQUEST to make you all feel good???
    Anyway, FACT is, CPF Life document states that BEQUEST is about $40,000 when a MALE hits 75 years old, and hence there is NO WAY that BEQUEST can increase and become $67,100 when a MALE hits 82 years old (as CLAIMED by this author!)

5) So what is the REAL effective interest rate if you can live till 82 years old? (ok ok, I use 82 to make minority happy and don't keep arguing on the age number, those REALLY, on average about 50% of 1960s born cohort would have died by 65 years old!)
    Amount at age 55 = $155,000
    Amount at age 65 = $242,000
    Payout per month = S$1,200
    Assume age you live till = 82
    REAL CPF LIFE RETURN = 0.13% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YES, THAT IS TRUE, "0.13%"!
    (How do I get the "0.13%"? Use online calculator!)
    So, if you can live till 82 years old, CPF LIFE only pays you an INTEREST = 0.13% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HO HO HO, LIES, FALSEHOODS exposed within HALF-TRUTHS!!!!!

********** CONCLUSION: **********
    This guy's statements contains FALSEHOODS mixed in HALF-TRUTHs!!!
    So, either this guy at dollarsandsense.sg FAILED his MATH and is misleading people with his article or he is outright LYING through his TEETH!!!

minority,
    This is don't know how many times we have caught LYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't the previous time you claimed that CPF Life gives you 7.5% return?
    (Can't remember now? See here evidence captured:
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...905#post523905

minority,
    I am repeating and this like 30th time now AND You are still NOT ANSWERING my QUESTION:
    Didn't you claim CPF Life gives 7.5% return in your previous post?

Post of evidence of your LIE is at this URL here:
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...ht=#post523905

Why after I exposed your LIE, you are not going to defend your PONZI "7.5% return" for CPF Life any more???
    Is it because you know you are unable to defend the "7.5%" after being exposed??? Ha ha ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by heehee View Post
    yes received, thanks.
    cpf life standard return is of interest to most of us here, so why need to pm to me only?

I have a question though - why a person who die at age 75 only get a return of -0.3%?
    If a person die at age 85, the return is only 2.6%, much lower than RA 4% interest. Why so?
    This is considering that your calculation include the period from Age 55 where you get as high as 6% interest for 10 years.

teddybear calculation on the other hand only calculate the return from Age 65 & thus the return figure will be different from yours.
    minority,
    Wow!
    Didn't know you the BIGGEST LIAR here is still around to spill more LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The BIGGEST LIAR here calling other people BULLSHIT? Wow wow wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you spill more LIES, why don't you clarify your previous LIES:

minority,
    Since you are still around here, why not you confirm to us whether you are claiming that Olam (majority controlled by Temasek) has rigged its book in order to avoid paying taxes on capital injection???? (since you claimed that PUB must pay taxes on Gov's capital injection!)