Thread: Singapore Budget 2018 - Buyer's Stamp Duty Raised

Default Singapore Budget 2018 - Buyer's Stamp Duty Raised

Buyer’s Stamp Duty has just been raised. What should I do?

https://singaporepropertykaki.com/20...t-should-i-do/

Buyer’s Stamp Duty has just been raised. What should I do?

February 19, 2018

Oh no! The government has just raised Buyer’s Stamp Duty for residential properties! What should I do? Should I exercise my option now before the clock strikes 12? More cooling measures coming up? Is the market going to CRASH???

Fret not. I am here to give you (my) answers!

First of all, let’s not get confused. The additional 1% BSD is applicable for property value in excess of S$1 million. So if you are looking to buy a property below S$1 mil, please go back and have a good rest and not fret over this BSD hike.

What if you are upgrading to S$1.2 mil condo? Sad to say, you will be affected by this new rule if you do not exercise your option by midnight. How much more BSD do you need to pay? That will be S$2,000 payable to our tax man. Is there a need to rush? Please think twice. If you miss the deadline before midnight, at most you pay an additional S$2,000 in BSD. But if you make a rash decision and have to forfeit your option fees (partial), then that will be more than the additional S$2,000 for BSD.

But if you are a multi-millionaire who wants to buy a New Futura? Then maybe you should act now, if not you might end up paying as much as S$20,000 more in BSD. But maybe this S$20,000 is considered ‘peanuts’ to you, maybe?

My personal thought is that this increase in BSD rates is not going to hurt most of us unless you are going for a high-end property. In fact, prior to the Budget, the market was expecting the government to introduce more drastic measures to cool the heated enbloc market. This mild measure seems to be a good news for the market.

So, keep calm and carry on!

I find this to be a 'Cooling Measure' for Developers rather than end consumers. For those with high end properties buying power, this staggered 1% should not be a major concern.

yes, its to make the developers think twice about bidding $1.001b for en bloc when they need to sacrifice $10m in profits instantly.

You are kidding right?

can feel hdb resale price index rising soon, if thing goes as plan hdb owner will start to feel richer (though only in paper since mostly owner stay) and hopefully push consumption and inflation higher. Interest in mass market condo shall increase noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    yes, its to make the developers think twice about bidding $1.001b for en bloc when they need to sacrifice $10m in profits instantly.
    I feel smaller developers will feel the pinch, not those who have the muscle power for $1bn bids (non-JV).