Thread: CAN post 80s, 90s and @2k afford to buy

Default CAN post 80s, 90s and @2k afford to buy

Look at the prices of the enbloc and GLS even for the EC, just wonder how the post 80s, 90s afford to have a private property.. in addition to the ever raising cost of living....

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    Look at the prices of the enbloc and GLS even for the EC, just wonder how the post 80s, 90s afford to have a private property.. in addition to the ever raising cost of living....
    Just look to HK... Sad, but true.

But luckily, to be honest, not everybody needs a private property. A good HDB can serve your lifetime's needs actually.

In fact, even the 60s or 70s, a huge majority never transcends to private property.

And do not underestimate the earning power of the post 80s and 90s. Their starting pay can be some of our mid or end career pay.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

This will make the post 80s and 90s work harder and work smarter (like their older generation) because from opinions I heard from many people, these people are now quite slack and is a strawberry generation and not willing to work hard and OT and just want spoon feeding.

Worst case they can still easily afford a HDB flat courtesy of SG Gov and their National Land Acquisition Act in early days where they amass lots of cheap land available that is probably enough to build another 1 Million HDB flats.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    This will make the post 80s and 90s work harder and work smarter (like their older generation) because from opinions I heard from many people, these people are now quite slack and is a strawberry generation and not willing to work hard and OT and just want spoon feeding.

Worst case they can still easily afford a HDB flat courtesy of SG Gov and their National Land Acquisition Act in early days where they amass lots of cheap land available that is probably enough to build another 1 Million HDB flats.
    I fully agree with this, I met many, only with yolo attitude and holiday is just a MUST... work life balance is a deciding factor in selecting job..

I fully agree with this, I met many, only with yolo attitude and holiday is just a MUST... work life balance is a deciding factor in selecting job..
    Not even sure these people can afford HDB or not ?? A lot of them are parents supporting, sad to say, but true

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

HDB BTO flats can lah! Now a 4rm HDB BTO flat in Sembawang like only $400k+ only?
    With current medium household income of about $8k per month, the family can afford to pay $2400 p.m. for property instalment!
    If loan $320k for 30 years at HDB mortgage interest rate of 2.6% p.a., monthly instalment only $1281 p.m. and could even be paid totally from the couple's CPF OA!

Quote Originally Posted by henryhk View Post
    Not even sure these people can afford HDB or not ?? A lot of them are parents supporting, sad to say, but true

Why pay 1.2 million for a suburban 936 sqft condo when u can get a same sized 4 room bto next door for 300k.

The money saved can bring you round the world many times in style. Yolo!

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Why pay 1.2 million for a suburban 936 sqft condo when u can get a same sized 4 room bto next door for 300k.

The money saved can bring you round the world many times in style. Yolo!
    One with a interest in land the other airspace.

Quote Originally Posted by henryhk View Post
    Sad to say, parent may be the cause of the problem.

I was lucky my father don't want to stay with me and ask me to find my own place.

Was lucky got civil service priority scheme to get my HDB without much CPF because SAF don't pay full CPF.

Getting ready to sell one of my property and help my son buy his first private property once he start working.

Meantime play with my chick while waiting.

HDB is quite affordable. If you don't earn much, then you have to pick a location that is not too central also. I know some say 1M HDB. Please go and check your brains.

150k have already for 3 bedroom. 200k for 4 bedroom. Assuming after grants for a low income family. I think it is really cheap considering singapore is a first world city.

The size of condo these days is a joke when compared to hdb. It's like a downgrade in lifestyle instead of upgrading.
    Unlike those condos in the 90s to 2007 where it's really upgrading. 1300 to 1600sqft for 3 bedrooms.

If they don't buy, who do we sell to? Foreigners? It is indeed worrying but I think they will enjoy plenty of 'hand me downs' from their parents who hopefully have invested substantially before them.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    The size of condo these days is a joke when compared to hdb. It's like a downgrade in lifestyle instead of upgrading.
    Unlike those condos in the 90s to 2007 where it's really upgrading. 1300 to 1600sqft for 3 bedrooms.
    we have been voicing out on this for a decade but over the last decade oxley and the likes have made a lot of money and in the process influenced others to do the same. i don't think many people are bothered by it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    we have been voicing out on this for a decade but over the last decade oxley and the likes have made a lot of money and in the process influenced others to do the same. i don't think many people are bothered by it at all.
    Indeed. Thus I have been on a constant look out for bigger size units and avoiding newer developments built post 2005. Most of these bigger size units are actually value for money though design maybe inferior to newer ones. You may also lose out on features like sky gardens, balcony but personally I prioritise live-in space over design or common area features.