Thread: Loan

Default Loan

Loan Amount

For most home buyers, if they have Cash/CPF, they actually try to minimize the Loan amount. For investors, they typically try to maximize the loan amount. Why? Firstly, Rental income adds to their personal income and thus, adds to their Personal Income Tax. Thus, by maximizing the Loan Amount, they can enjoy “maximum deduction” as Interest paid on Housing Loan can be deducted against the Rental Income they receive.

If they borrow more money, eg. 80% vs 70% of Purchase Price, they can also minimize the Upfront Cash they put into the property, thereby reducing the “capital” they invest, by doing so, with a smaller capital invested, they would enjoy a Higher Return on Capital, given the same increase in property value.

Eg. If a person bought a S$1 million property and price goes up to S$1.3 million, if he borrowed S$800,000 and only invested S$200,000 of his money, he would have enjoyed over 100% returns. On the other hand, if he had borrowed S$600,000 and invested S$400,000 of his money, his returns might drop to slightly over 50% instead.

Loan Period
    If you are buying a property as a home, you might want to time your loan period to the time you plan to retire. Eg if you plan to retire at age 60, then the loan period should ends by when you reach age 60.

On the other hand, investors try to lengthen their loan period wherever possible. They might stretch the loan up to age 70 and for clients in their 50s, they can still stretch the loan period to say, 20 or 30 years by adding in a Younger relative as Owner and/or Borrower.

Lock-in Period
    For investors who plan to sell their property within the next 1 to 2 years, they might want to choose Housing Loan period with a shorter lock-in period or even Housing Loan package with NO lock-in period (ZERO Penalty period).

On the other hand, home owners might choose Housing Loan packages with lock-in period of 2 year or longer as typically loans with lock-in period comes with lower interest rates.

Use More Cash, Less CPF
    Most home owners use a lot of CPF to pay for their property. Investors might actually use Cash instead of CPF, as any CPF used have to be refunded back to CPF account when the property is sold, together with Acrrued interest of 2.5% on the CPF withdrawn. On the other hand, if a person uses Cash, when he sells the property, he can withdraw all the profits (gains) on the property without need to lock the money inside CPF account.

Thus, most investors use more cash and less CPF for their property investments. Furthermore, in future if the investor wants to get an additional loan on his property, he can do so, while the person who used CPF needs to deduct CPF used from the maximum additional loan amount he can obtained.

Using an example to illustrate.
    A person bought a property for S$1 million. Value of property rose to S$1.5 million after a few years. His Housing Loan outstanding is S$500,00. He can easily obtain additional loan of S$500,000 if he did not use any CPF. If he had for example, used S$300,000 CPF for this property, this amount S$300,000 has to be deducted from the additional loan he can obtain, in this example might be just S$200,000 vs additional loan of S$500,000.

Good informative write up!

Hi all
    Appreciate for any advice

Receive letters from bank again to inform me the interest is revised up.
    Latest at 2.2%

My outstanding is ard $200K

CPF interest is 2.5%
    I have enough in the OA to full settle it.

Just wondering should I full settle or just change payment mode from payable by cash to deduct from CPF.

Thank you

Depends on your purpose, type of property and personal circumstance.

No single correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest ang View Post
    Hi all

Latest at 2.2%

CPF interest is 2.5%

Just wondering should I full settle or just change payment mode from payable by cash to deduct from CPF.

Thank you
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Hi all

Latest at 2.2%

CPF interest is 2.5%

Thank you
    With limited info, you will get limited advise. Is this the type of advise you looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Depends on your purpose, type of property and personal circumstance.

No single correct answer.
    Hi,
    It is a private property.
    OA will yield 2.5% interest.

The current mortgage interest rate has already gone up to 2% more. I believe it will hit more than 2.5% in a matter of time.

I can use $200k from OA to pay it off now. But that means I will forgo 2.5% interest on the 200% every year from CPF.

But If i change my instalment to deduct from CPF monthly (I m paying cash now), then I can still have that 2.5% interest from CPF on after the balance after monthly deduction (ard $3000)

So is full settlement or go by monthly deduction a better option?

Thank you

With this limited info, and not knowing what you have and using what I have and like to do.

I will not use CPF.

Duplicated below.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

One important consideration is if you are living in it or renting it out.

Whichever the case, based on only these two options, just sit and hold liquidity in CPF is a better deal. You earn 2.5% interest (compounded) in CPF but pay 2.2% interest (reducing) in mortgage. When and if interest rates reach or exceed 2.5%, then you still have the option to pay it off anytime.

Enjoy the ride.

Hi,
    It is a private property.
    OA will yield 2.5% interest.

The current mortgage interest rate has already gone up to 2% more. I believe it will hit more than 2.5% in a matter of time.

I can use $200k from OA to pay it off now. But that means I will forgo 2.5% interest on the 200% every year from CPF.

But If i change my instalment to deduct from CPF monthly (I m paying cash now), then I can still have that 2.5% interest from CPF on after the balance after monthly deduction (ard $3000)

So is full settlement or go by monthly deduction a better option?

Thank you

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

One important consideration is if you are living in it or renting it out.

Whichever the case, based on only these two options, just sit and hold liquidity in CPF is a better deal. You earn 2.5% interest (compounded) in CPF but pay 2.2% interest (reducing) in mortgage. When and if interest rates reach or exceed 2.5%, then you still have the option to pay it off anytime.

Enjoy the ride.
    That’s what i thought I should do too but just wanted to have a second opinion yo be sure!

Thank you!

That’s what i thought I should do too but just wanted to have a second opinion yo be sure!

Thank you!
    Pleasure!

Unless you have a good reason to clear such as increasing the % of loan allowed for another property, then makes sense to clear lump sum.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Why not do a refinance or repricing? U can fixed two or three years for less than 2%. Just ask the banks.

Pleasure!

Unless you have a good reason to clear such as increasing the % of loan allowed for another property, then makes sense to clear lump sum.
    Thank u for the suggestion. I am not working. Thus unable to secure any loan.

Oh...house is for own stay
    Will probably pay off with CPF if interest goes up to 2.5% or higher.

Thanks again