Thread: Multi-storey carparks can alleviate parking problem in landed estates

Default Multi-storey carparks can alleviate parking problem in landed estates

Multi-storey carparks can alleviate parking problem in landed estates

Mar 23, 2018

The letter by Mr Lim Boon Seng has highlighted the need for the Land Transport Authority to review its stand on landed home owners reserving spaces on public roads for parking (Act against landed property owners who reserve parking spaces on road; March 21).

It has been common practice for households in private estates to use rubbish bins to reserve spaces on the roads for their cars.

Since most roads in private estates are narrow, such acts obstruct two-way traffic and should be subject to warning and/or fines.

Another solution is for the Building and Construction Authority to ensure that building plans include adequate parking spaces.

I have seen owners of big landed properties build huge houses, while leaving space to park only one vehicle. The rest of the family then park their cars along the public roads.

It is also time for the relevant authorities to build multi-storey carparks near private estates so that households there have a permanent place to park their cars.

This can also be a source of revenue the authorities can tap for improving the roads of these estates.

Koh Tai Kiang (Madam)

Technically, with current URA guidelines for set-back, a typical new build inter-ter landed can easily park 2 large MPVs at the front pouch. More than sufficient even for 3-Gen family. And if really need 3 cars, can get 1 more small hatch like A3, A160, 1-series, Jazz, i10 and park in front of the gate. That way you will not obstruct the public road but it will obstruct footway though. The issue is actually landed owners (and i am guilty of it) is we park outside so that when our guests come, they have space to park. I did not start this practice in my neighbourhood but after seeing all my neighbours do it, i also adopted this inconsiderate habit.

Overtime, we sort of just park outside as i also introduce less exhaust fumes into my house compared to if i reverse park into the house. It does not help that where i stay, there are people who parked outside my house and walk / ride e-scooter to a nearby MRT station to take the train to work. So my neighbour who is already retired and looks after the grandchildren for their kids, will always park outside so that when their grown up children comes and visit them either for dinner or to pick up the children, there is available lots.

Parking outside also has its pro and cons. As I cannot stand the heat, I prefer to park inside as it is sheltered. Also I have only 1 car and 3 motor cycles. Motor cycles being very heavy and have no reverse gear, have to park outside. Boh bian.