Thread: Landed home owners often have no option but to park on roads

Default Landed home owners often have no option but to park on roads

Landed home owners often have no option but to park on roads

Mar 23, 2018

Mr Lim Boon Seng has called on the authorities to take action against owners of landed homes who reserve parking spaces (Act against landed property owners who reserve parking spaces on road; March 21).

I would like to highlight that living in a Housing Board flat comes with the privilege of a designated carpark.

Though the HDB car owner may not be able to park at the closest carpark near his home, he has a guaranteed space to park his vehicle nevertheless.

On the other hand, there are no designated carparks for landed home owners. Even those who live near HDB estates are unlikely to get a space in designated HDB carparks as priority goes to HDB car owners.

So where can landed home owners park their cars but outside their houses?

This is a problem landed home owners face day in, day out. If we do not "chope", or reserve, the space outside our houses, we have no other option.

While I do not condone people vandalising cars for parking near landed homes (Car owner's Jurong visit takes nasty turn; March 16), most landed home estates have managed to strike a balance between residents and visitors over the problem of limited parking spaces.

The Land Transport Authority should be lauded for its "community approach of advising residents to ensure the objects they place outside their homes do not pose a safety hazard or obstruct other road users".

Sabrina Chew (Ms)

Quote Originally Posted by reporter2 View Post
    Landed home owners often have no option but to park on roads

Mar 23, 2018

Mr Lim Boon Seng has called on the authorities to take action against owners of landed homes who reserve parking spaces (Act against landed property owners who reserve parking spaces on road; March 21).

I would like to highlight that living in a Housing Board flat comes with the privilege of a designated carpark.

Though the HDB car owner may not be able to park at the closest carpark near his home, he has a guaranteed space to park his vehicle nevertheless.

On the other hand, there are no designated carparks for landed home owners. Even those who live near HDB estates are unlikely to get a space in designated HDB carparks as priority goes to HDB car owners.

So where can landed home owners park their cars but outside their houses?

This is a problem landed home owners face day in, day out. If we do not "chope", or reserve, the space outside our houses, we have no other option.

While I do not condone people vandalising cars for parking near landed homes (Car owner's Jurong visit takes nasty turn; March 16), most landed home estates have managed to strike a balance between residents and visitors over the problem of limited parking spaces.

The Land Transport Authority should be lauded for its "community approach of advising residents to ensure the objects they place outside their homes do not pose a safety hazard or obstruct other road users".

Sabrina Chew (Ms)
    Very true, Ms Chew. I have had property agents park directly at my gate! How I come in/out?

Home owners in my estate know how to give and take. Sometimes, they have guests. Sometimes I have guests. They tell me and I tell them. No fuss. Give and take.

We also look out for each other. I feel safe that his house camera can take videos near my house which my own camera cannot capture due to angle. When a new home owner moves in, we make him feel welcome and share what the neighbours have arranged in terms of parking and ask them for their views/opinions.