Thread: Widening public-private home price gap may not dent upgrading demand

Default Widening public-private home price gap may not dent upgrading demand

Widening public-private home price gap may not dent upgrading demand

Consultants point to demand from en bloc sellers, smaller condo units and quantums; but trend may also raise risk of govt hand in narrowing divide

Thu, Apr 19, 2018

Lynette Khoo

IS THE growing divergence in prices of resale public housing flats and private homes snuffing out the Singaporean dream of owning a condominium?

While price data might underscore such fears, market watchers note that there are many mitigating factors to keep the upgrading momentum from owners of Housing & Development Board (HDB) flats going, who sell their flats to move to private housing.

First, the truth be told, price indices do not tell the whole story, said Edmund Tie & Company CEO Ong Choon Fah.

The HDB resale landscape has been uneven, with larger flats in mature and sought-after estates such as Toa Payoh, Bishan, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Merah, Geylang and Queenstown holding up in prices or even registering an increase in Q4 2017 from Q4 2012, based on median resale prices published on the HDB website.

Those who have owned an HDB flat for a while would still be sitting on paper gains from the uptrend since 2006, Ms Ong said, adding that the current interest rate environment remains conducive for borrowings.

Even for new HDB flats bought in 2012-2013 that just crossed the five-year minimum occupation period, owners are cushioned by the housing grants they enjoyed when they bought these built-to-order (BTO) flats, Edmund Tie & Company research head Lee Nai Jia said.

JLL national director for research Ong Teck Hui felt that the widening price chasm between HDB resale flats and mass-market condos does not spell the end of the road for all upgraders, though the marginal buyers who have to stretch financially for a mass-market condominium may defer upgrading plans.

"Some might end up taking bigger loans and/or purchasing a cheaper mass-market condominium than originally planned," he said.

The recovery in the private residential market has gathered pace since the price index published by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) turned the corner in the third quarter last year, after close to four years of decline. The 3.1 per cent price jump in the first quarter, based on flash estimate, was the steepest rise after Q2 2010.

Going in the opposite direction, the HDB resale price index accelerated its decline with a 0.8 per cent fall in the first quarter this year, based on flash estimate, marking its worst showing in the past 12 quarters.

Clearly, if this trend were to continue or even if HDB resale prices were to recover in the upcoming quarters, the price gap between these two housing segments may widen if private home prices surge ahead on the back of developers' bullish land bids.

HDB upgraders are a significant demand pool for private homes, especially mass-market condominiums. Caveats lodged suggest that buyers with HDB addresses - which include HDB upgraders as well as HDB dwellers who buy private homes for investment - account for some 35 per cent of private non-landed resales.

For new launches, the proportion is not discernible from available data. But one developer source tipped that HDB addressees typically make up about 70 per cent of new private non-landed sales in the suburban or Outside Central Region, some 50 per cent in the city-fringe or Rest of Central Region, and possibly 30 per cent in the Core Central Region.

PropNex Realty key executive officer Lim Yong Hock believes that aspiring upgraders would still go for private homes in the range of S$1,100-1,200 per square foot (psf). But once new launches go beyond S$1,500 psf, they may switch to the relatively cheaper resale condominiums instead.

Others may turn to executive condominiums (ECs), but EC supply is currently insufficient, Mr Lim added.

So far, the higher prices at new property launches have proven to be of little deterrence to home buyers, as seen in their strong take-up rates.

Ms Ong observed that quantum-sensitive buyers are snapping up smaller private apartments, so developers are downsizing their units ever smaller. "Developers are selling more compact-size units to keep in check the total capital outlay for buyers," she said.

The private housing market is also seeing a demand influx from owners of properties sold in recent collective sales - estimated to have so far displaced some 6,000 households and minted new millionaires since 2016. And agents say most of them do not qualify for HDB resale units because they also own another private property.

Consultants differ on how long they expect the price divergence in HDB resale flats and private homes to last, with some market watchers expecting an inflexion in the HDB resale prices soon.

Savills Singapore senior director Alan Cheong noted that HDB resale prices typically lags private home prices in a market upturn. He opined that an uptick in the HDB resale price index may happen as soon as in the upcoming quarters, pointing to flash estimates by SRX Property that showed a 0.8 per cent uptick in HDB resale prices in March after a 0.6 per cent drop in February.

Also sanguine about HDB resale prices in the coming quarters is National University of Singapore real estate professor Sing Tien Foo. He believes that the market - with its many moving parts - will adjust itself over time.

"Should the gap widen, HDB resale flats may become more attractive for those who have not made a choice on whether to buy a condo or a resale HDB," he said.

But Knight Frank head of consultancy and research Alice Tan was more apprehensive. Calling this "an unhealthy development for the sandwiched class who are looking to upgrade", she felt that this may accentuate the risk of the government intervening to narrow the gap.

As an illustration, a 5-room HDB owner in Bukit Merah who wants to upgrade to a two or three-bedroom private condominium of 80-100 sq m in the same area would only have to fork out another S$780,000 one year ago. Now, he has to fork out another S$900,000, Ms Tan said.

"Looking at the expansion of the existing HDB stock and continued rise in private home prices, the divergence is envisaged to widen with HDB resale prices likely to continue its downward trajectory for at least another two quarters," she added.

The HDB will launch another 17,000 new flats for sale this year, comparable to the 17,584 flats launched last year. The sustained roll-out of the more affordable BTO flats has also capped recovery in HDB resale transactions, which rose only 6.1 per cent last year to 22,077 flats, while private residential transactions (excluding ECs) last year surged 53 per cent to 25,010 units.

Market watchers also reckon that the reminder from the National Development Minister that not all flats will be chosen for Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (Sers), which pays a generous compensation to the flat owners, may have unwittingly fanned a mindset shift among some buyers.

In fact, some agents have been recommending prospective buyers to go straight for private condominiums instead of trying to upgrade from an HDB flat later on.

The prospect of getting a windfall from a collective sale is like a lottery draw that private home owners are entitled to, but not the HDB owners, Mr Cheong quipped.
    Attached Files Attached Files

HDB owners should faster sell and upgrade if they want to. 1 year later, it will be impossible to upgrade. The land cost is > 1k psf nowadays and selling price is from 1.7-1.8k onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    HDB owners should faster sell and upgrade if they want to. 1 year later, it will be impossible to upgrade. The land cost is > 1k psf nowadays and selling price is from 1.7-1.8k onwards.
    How many will believe, most still in the unbelieving state.

Can only wish them all the best.

Even I myself also cannot believe I going to market "The Garden Residences @ Serangoon North Ave 1" for minimum of 1700 psf.

http://87821025.push.sg/new-launches...ondo-singapore

I am still hearing many of my friends saying they will not buy into this bull market and wait for market to crash...

I am baffled coz the market just darting Cheonging and people wanna wait ?

Then when market crash they will wait longer for market to drop more so forever never buy

Quote Originally Posted by CCR View Post
    I am still hearing many of my friends saying they will not buy into this bull market and wait for market to crash...

Then when market crash they will wait longer for market to drop more so forever never buy
    Yes 2006 wait for 2009, 2009 wait for 2013, 2013 wait for 2016, 2018 wait for 2021.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by CCR View Post

When you don't have excess cash better don't buy, buy only when you have money to weather the down turn.

All my property I bought when the previous property appreciated and I cash out or sell to buy another.

Lucky or God Bless to weather the TDSR since 2013, for those who can wait another year or two will see like 2006 again.

Not enough cash is 1 type of problem.

Too much cash but refuse to pay tax is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    When you don't have excess cash better don't buy, buy only when you have money to weather the down turn.

All my property I bought when the previous property appreciated and I cash out or sell to buy another.

Lucky or God Bless to weather the TDSR since 2013, for those who can wait another year or two will see like 2006 again.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Not enough cash is 1 type of problem.

Too much cash but refuse to pay tax is another.
    10% ABSD + 50% LTV ratio are big factors to calculate the return. it can drag the rental return to be only 2% for the cash taken out. Not sure the upside is good enough to bite the bullet.
    I am stuck with this...

Quote Originally Posted by ccreporter View Post
    10% ABSD + 50% LTV ratio are big factors to calculate the return. it can drag the rental return to be only 2% for the cash taken out. Not sure the upside is good enough to bite the bullet.
    I am stuck with this...
    i think they are referring to those with zero or one property to buy another property. if u face the scenario above, then this is your third property and i totally agree that the returns will not be that exciting other than hoping for capital appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post

Are you saying next year or 2020 market will crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
    Are you saying next year or 2020 market will crash?
    If I know I will be very rich.

Now look like 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    i think they are referring to those with zero or one property to buy another property. if u face the scenario above, then this is your third property and i totally agree that the returns will not be that exciting other than hoping for capital appreciation.
    Actually those who bought in 2015 to 2016 with 10% ABSD paid would have break even by next year.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Actually those who bought in 2015 to 2016 with 10% ABSD paid would have break even by next year.
    Thats in a way, true on paper. We got into PPR Phase I with 10% ABSD and one year later, it was negated by slight gains of 11% gains. Once TOP, barring any financial big bangs, it should go up another 5+% more. Its a risk we took but like all investment, we can never tell the future but only put our bets on it. Till today, I am just slightly more sure this is a decent move but at least, it seem to fall into my initial calculation where 'massive oversupply' has been ringing non-stop in early 2017.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Betting on Singapore properties is also a bet on your confidence that Singapore economy will continue to grow and Singapore will continue to be managed well.

Those naysayers of Singapore property prices no doubt would have ZERO confidence that Singapore will continue to be managed well.

Quote Originally Posted by PropVestor View Post
    Thats in a way, true on paper. We got into PPR Phase I with 10% ABSD and one year later, it was negated by slight gains of 11% gains. Once TOP, barring any financial big bangs, it should go up another 5+% more. Its a risk we took but like all investment, we can never tell the future but only put our bets on it. Till today, I am just slightly more sure this is a decent move but at least, it seem to fall into my initial calculation where 'massive oversupply' has been ringing non-stop in early 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Betting on Singapore properties is also a bet on your confidence that Singapore economy will continue to grow and Singapore will continue to be managed well.

Those naysayers of Singapore property prices no doubt would have ZERO confidence that Singapore will continue to be managed well.
    I only know one thing, if they spend Billions of Dollar on the Land the Land can never be cheaper.

My Brother was offer a 4 room HDB at Geylang Serai, he want to give out because his HDB 3 room at Aljunied cost less than the new HDB.

I told him the same thing, if they spend Billions of Dollar on the Land the Land can never be cheaper. Fast forward 3 years, the resale HDB is higher than the New 4 room HDB.