Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Potential of Joo Chiat area

  1. #1

    Default Potential of Joo Chiat area

    Dear all,
    Joo Chiat for a variety of reasons has been in the news in the recent year/months for better or worse.... Particularly, the publicity (good or bad) there has to some extent appeared to be somewhat contrarian or counter-supportive of what would otherwise in some sense portrary by other write-ups or other forms of media. Top of my head we have
    1. Joo Chiat lock out of workers from their quarters (that place is foreign workers infested??)
    2. Appears to have some form of support for government intention to convert that to an arts / heritage place?
    3. Appears to motivate the point where there are intentions to clamp down Joo Chiat as a red-light district and perhaps to revamp it over time ?
    4. Joo Chiat (quarelling) families (for entertainment value?)

    .... ....

    I was hoping to get some views of the forumers here on owning a property in Joo Chiat area (i.e. Koon Seng Road, Joo Chiat Place, Chiku Road, Rambutan Road, Mangis Road, Joo Chiat Lane.....etc)....

    Any advise or views, for or against all welcome.
    Thanks!!

  2. #2

    Default Feedback/ Comments / Opinions

    Hi Guys,
    Anyone want to provide some feedback or comments in that area ? I am looking to explore an unit whihc I like there... ...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Hi Guys,
    Anyone want to provide some feedback or comments in that area ? I am looking to explore an unit whihc I like there... ...
    you can flip the class ads for more choices

  4. #4
    Unregistered3393993
    Guest

    Default

    If u like, just buy lah. My views on red light district is that it is difficult to go away. Many people invest few years back in Geylang believing that the garmen will clean it up soon but it didn't happen and the acitivities continue to thrive. One thing for sure, our govt is NOT against such activities because it makes Singapore more exciting. Hee hee. As long as you don't mind the activities and like the place, just go for it. Some of the shops look legitimate but if u probe further, u'll find out what they really are.

    Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Hi Guys,
    Anyone want to provide some feedback or comments in that area ? I am looking to explore an unit whihc I like there... ...

  5. #5

    Default

    jsut hope gahman will clear that area soon

  6. #6

    Default Views on Joo Chiat Clearing Up?

    It appears there has been a number of articles in the recent weeks/months about the development of JC. There has been discussions in the press about developing that area with a slant towards art/conservation tourism... ... In some other related articles/discussions, there has been assuranec about the non-renewal of certain licences as they fall due to renewal in the Joo Chiat... ....

    In consideration of the foregoing and other relevant development which you might have come across, would you view JC as potentially worthwhile looking at both from a consumption and investment point of view... ?

  7. #7
    Gay area?
    Guest

    Default

    I also heard that the area has become popular with the gay community (e.g. hairstylist, fashion designer). So for investment purposes, there might be good rental yield from the pink dollar since they like to congregate together? The pubs there might also develop into gay pubs I heard. Any views on that?

    Quote Originally Posted by DW
    It appears there has been a number of articles in the recent weeks/months about the development of JC. There has been discussions in the press about developing that area with a slant towards art/conservation tourism... ... In some other related articles/discussions, there has been assuranec about the non-renewal of certain licences as they fall due to renewal in the Joo Chiat... ....

    In consideration of the foregoing and other relevant development which you might have come across, would you view JC as potentially worthwhile looking at both from a consumption and investment point of view... ?

  8. #8
    Joo Chiat
    Guest

    Default

    To the original poster asking for potential of Joo Chiat/katong area and the vices in the Joo Chiat/Katong vicinity. See link here http://www.myjoochiat.com/about-us-resources.htm

    This committee has been formed since 2005, and 3 years later, the illicit activities are getting more rampant and spreading like wildfire. So I doubt it will go away. The govt is unlikely to drive these activities away to other parts of Singapore where there is no demand. Also, a strong gay community has formed there as well, as highlighed above. It makes the place more vibrant though, just like Geylang.

  9. #9

    Default

    Dear Joo Chiat,

    Thank you for your message. That link has been most helpful. On a related point, I would like to get more insights and clarification on your observations, and would be most grateful for your advice on the same.

    I gathered from your response that it appears the illicit activities are getting more rampant and spreading like wildfire. It would be helpful if you could point me to the source of your assessment of the benchmark / measurement of the increased activity being more rampant and its spread (i.e. the illicit activities) over the past years.

    I think you made a very good point on the prospects of govt driving the activities away to other parts of Singapore where there is no demand. Admittedly, I am rather unfamiliar with the history and escort service development in Singapore. Please could members here kindly enlighten me a little in respect of how was the demand/development in Joo Chiat and Geylang originally introduced and developed there ? Are there historical reasons as to why those two areas were developed as such (*I understood from certain literature and sources that the first origination of the red light district in Singapore was known to be Kong Siak Street in Chinatown) and how did the govt managed such a move originally?

    Regarding the point on gay community, I have heard about it from other members of the forums too. I wonder if the sources or basis of these views could be advised so that I have a more informed and quantified evaluation as well. Thansk!

    Any response or advice on the above would be most helpful. Thanks!





    Quote Originally Posted by Joo Chiat
    To the original poster asking for potential of Joo Chiat/katong area and the vices in the Joo Chiat/Katong vicinity. See link here http://www.myjoochiat.com/about-us-resources.htm

    This committee has been formed since 2005, and 3 years later, the illicit activities are getting more rampant and spreading like wildfire. So I doubt it will go away. The govt is unlikely to drive these activities away to other parts of Singapore where there is no demand. Also, a strong gay community has formed there as well, as highlighed above. It makes the place more vibrant though, just like Geylang.

  10. #10
    To DW
    Guest

    Default

    To DW, it's best you check out the place yourself! Anyway, my views is such activities evolve naturally. I don't think the govt make any concerted effort to move the activities from one place to another. In the past, there were raids, but now i think is more laxed - govt now take a "if it happens, it happens" attitude. If control too much is bad for S'pore's strait-laced image. That is why residential committes are formed to lobby their MP to move the activities away. In fact Katong used to rank higher than Bukit Timah in terms of prestige. Now is the other way round. Many of the houses are now rented to Chinese nationals or become foreign workers quarters.

    The current vice areas in Singapore are: 1) Geylang 2)Joo Chiat 3) Chinatown 4) Tanjong Pagar Duxton area (many gay pubs as well). Many residents coexist happily with these activities. Some of these areas are rather "prime" area near city. At the end of the day, it depends on what your objective. If you're a single female, then I wd not recommend these "high risk" areas. If you're a guy, then nvrmind. If you're family, it depends on whether you're confident of shieding your children from such activites. And of course the activities may move elsewhere, but it is hard to predict. Geylang has been like that for the longest time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •