Thread: Seepage

Default Seepage

My condo lower floor unit complains there is a seepage at their master bedroom toilet ceiling few months back. Contractor came and check a few times but couldn't find the cause.

My unit has been tenanted out and the tenant most of the time is not in Singapore. But during these few months investigation, we had tried to co-operate with them by asking our tenant to help us to check the meter. The tenant helped us to take a picture of the meter reading, then they went out, after about 3+ hours, they came back and took another picture and the meter reading remains the same. We did the same also on some occasions when tenant is not in Singapore. We took the picture of the meter reading, then went back to our current house, after about 7 hours, we asked our condo neighbour to help us to take the reading and it shows the same also. Only few days back, the contractor said that the seepage is from our unit because our toilet ceiling has no seepage. He said the water stay/remain inside the walls that cause the water seepage to the lower floor. I wonder is it possible, can anyone help to advise or give suggestion as what should we do? BTW, tenant said he seldom use the master bedroom toilet for bathing.

How old is the development?

Under any developer warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by DKWTD View Post
    My condo lower floor unit complains there is a seepage at their master bedroom toilet ceiling few months back. Contractor came and check a few times but couldn't find the cause.

My unit has been tenanted out and the tenant most of the time is not in Singapore. But during these few months investigation, we had tried to co-operate with them by asking our tenant to help us to check the meter. The tenant helped us to take a picture of the meter reading, then they went out, after about 3+ hours, they came back and took another picture and the meter reading remains the same. We did the same also on some occasions when tenant is not in Singapore. We took the picture of the meter reading, then went back to our current house, after about 7 hours, we asked our condo neighbour to help us to take the reading and it shows the same also. Only few days back, the contractor said that the seepage is from our unit because our toilet ceiling has no seepage. He said the water stay/remain inside the walls that cause the water seepage to the lower floor. I wonder is it possible, can anyone help to advise or give suggestion as what should we do? BTW, tenant said he seldom use the master bedroom toilet for bathing.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    How old is the development?

Under any developer warranty?
    About 20 yrs. No more warranty.

About 20 yrs. No more warranty.
    Try to search for a second opinion by a reputable waterproofing expert.

If really the source is from your unit, ultimately according to most condo by laws and the standard, the upper floor will have to pay for it.

I have a friend who sold his unit because of such recurrent problems.

It might also be possible to prove that the source is from another unit but usually will involve hacking.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Try to search for a second opinion by a reputable waterproofing expert.

If really the source is from your unit, ultimately according to most condo by laws and the standard, the upper floor will have to pay for it.

I have a friend who sold his unit because of such recurrent problems.

It might also be possible to prove that the source is from another unit but usually will involve hacking.
    Thank you. We thought of getting 2nd opinion also but not sure where to get a reliable contractor.

I suspect that this contractor couldn't find the source and just point at us because the lower floor has been chasing very badly for the outcome and some more my spouse told the management that if we need to pay, we will pay.

Few years back also once, same unit said got seepage and the management asked us to pay quoting the condo law that the upper floor had to pay because few contractors couldn't find out the source cause. But we argued that the seepage was not from us, why should we pay, our toilet ceiling also got seepage and damaged from the upper floor. Luckily one of the residents suggested to do certain testing, in the end found out that the cause was actually from the top highest floor. But this time is different, our toilet ceiling has no water seepage but is it possible for the water to retain in the wall/floor (for few days/weeks/months) and flow down slowly to the lower floor, this is what the contractor said because our proofing is no good.

Thank you. We thought of getting 2nd opinion also but not sure where to get a reliable contractor.

I suspect that this contractor couldn't find the source and just point at us because the lower floor has been chasing very badly for the outcome and some more my spouse told the management that if we need to pay, we will pay.

Few years back also once, same unit said got seepage and the management asked us to pay quoting the condo law that the upper floor had to pay because few contractors couldn't find out the source cause. But we argued that the seepage was not from us, why should we pay, our toilet ceiling also got seepage and damaged from the upper floor. Luckily one of the residents suggested to do certain testing, in the end found out that the cause was actually from the top highest floor. But this time is different, our toilet ceiling has no water seepage but is it possible for the water to retain in the wall/floor (for few days/weeks/months) and flow down slowly to the lower floor, this is what the contractor said because our proofing is no good.
    I see. Waterproofing is an issue in many buildings, and the chance increases with age, although many new buildings also have such issues.

Water issues really hard to say for sure. Lots of potential causes.

The good thing is at least yours is dry. I would rather pay than to have a wet ceiling. But the issue is also that in some cases, one pays but the problem does not go away.

The best bet is to still to seek a second opinion about options...

Good luck in any case.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I see. Waterproofing is an issue in many buildings, and the chance increases with age, although many new buildings also have such issues.

Water issues really hard to say for sure. Lots of potential causes.

The good thing is at least yours is dry. I would rather pay than to have a wet ceiling. But the issue is also that in some cases, one pays but the problem does not go away.

The best bet is to still to seek a second opinion about options...

Good luck in any case.
    Thank you so much.