Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sophia Residence (D9, Freehold, Guocoland)

Nope no yard seen. Who buys open kitchens nowadays?

And does anyone know if it will be a sloping climb up the back entrance that they have? Kirk terrace or something... can't imagine carrying groceries up...

even in a private elevator, u still have to share with your upstairs and downstairs unit the lift even though you have a card. of course the holder of the card can only go to his own unit floor but if u happen to be in the same lift, the higher floor pple will still see a tiny part of the lower floor units. that's why they have a useless pte lift lobby area "for your privacy".

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Homebuyer
    Hi, how does a private elevator work? It means you got to have a security pass for the lift to stop at your floor? What if your upstairs neighbour get into the same lift as you ... when it opens at your floor, he can see the inside of your unit?

i felt it was more like 5 agent to 1 client coz there were not many agents anyway. maybe a lot hiding behind, away from my view.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzle
    Looking at it its like about 1:15. Security guard at the door.

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...on-its-success

Building on its success

Guocoland to market Sophia Residence soon

by Conrad Raj

05:55 AM Jul 09, 2009

SPURRED by the success of recent property launches at the upper end of the middle-class market, GuocoLand Ltd, the Singapore-listed arm of Malaysian tycoon Quek Leng Chan, will soon start marketing its Sophia Residence project on - where else? - Sophia Road.

The 272-unit project comprises several blocks of between eight and 14 storeys nestled in landscaped surroundings on a 166,000 sq ft freehold site, which was bought in September 2007 for some $230 million.

It is one of only three residential developments to have won the 2009 BCA Green Mark Platinum Award, the highest accolade for green buildings here.

Units will range from 610 sq ft studios to four-bedroom apartments of up to 2,960 sq ft, and will cost $1,500 to $2,000 per sq ft, depending on the view and floor.

The condominium, scheduled for completion in three years, is designed to be energy- and water-efficient, said investor relations and corporate communications head Chan Kong Leong. He expects investors to take to the well-located project - it is close to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station and Orchard Road.

All 272 units will be on sale at the launch - with the exception of 21 penthouses.

GuocoLand is also holding back the launch of its Goodwood Residence in Bukit Timah Road to wait for the "impending upturn" in the higher end of the property market.

Among the main features of Sophia Residence is a 200m-long landscaped roof garden, solar panels and a smart water management and harvesting system.

Earlier in the year, GuocoLand relaunched the remaining 182 units in The Quartz in Buangkok and the complex is now almost fully sold, it said.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    even in a private elevator, u still have to share with your upstairs and downstairs unit the lift even though you have a card. of course the holder of the card can only go to his own unit floor but if u happen to be in the same lift, the higher floor pple will still see a tiny part of the lower floor units. that's why they have a useless pte lift lobby area "for your privacy".
    Alamak, shoes can still kena stolen lah (if you're not watching...) ! haha ...

yeah, after the people staying above u smile cunningly, wave bye bye and when u enter ur unit, steal your shoes...that's something novel, i didn't think of that.

another seperate thing with regard to the article above:

WATER SAVING MEANS WATER PRESSURE IS VERY LOW. I have heard from agents that many tenants complain about that for Rivergate. That's the price of being a Greenmark approved project.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Homebuyer
    Alamak, shoes can still kena stolen lah (if you're not watching...) ! haha ...

No advertisment for this development in the local papers today...
    Hmmm...

not launched yet, still preview i think.

No advertisment for this development in the local papers today...
    Hmmm...

WATER SAVING MEANS WATER PRESSURE IS VERY LOW. I have heard from agents that many tenants complain about that for Rivergate. That's the price of being a Greenmark approved project.
    you friend / agent is bullshitting you... it is a requirement that all the water pressure of all residential apartment has to be above a certain pressure. You can get a plumber and test it out for you, if it is below that prescribe level, developer has to make good for you... so how can buildings with greenmark supply water at less pressure?

also, you seems to have everything negative to say about any if not all the projects in Singapore. have you ever wonder why you still bother to snope around the forum and checking with agents anywhere about units here and there?

just a curious question... and also wondering what is your reason behind doing so...

pweesng, i think you are mistaken.

actually, recently when i visited one of the units available for resale at RG and tried out turning on the shower to the max, my wife commented that the water pressure is indeed too weak and would take a long time to wash her hair. i guess capitaland will definitely make it above the prescribed level, just a matter of personal preference.

if you look at my earlier posts, i have always preferred RG and PI, I am not negative on all the projects. I even took pains to write about everything positive about RG and PI. Even for your Wharf unit, remember that I said I liked the spaciousness and lack of wasted space? I like Wharf also because the design of the units are good and the price launched was reasonable.

I have also advocated not trying to talk down the market as it does not work. I just feel that the recently previewed/launched new projects are both too pricey and not of a good design. that is why I have been critical of all these new projects.

Quote Originally Posted by pweesng
    you friend / agent is bullshitting you... it is a requirement that all the water pressure of all residential apartment has to be above a certain pressure. You can get a plumber and test it out for you, if it is below that prescribe level, developer has to make good for you... so how can buildings with greenmark supply water at less pressure?

also, you seems to have everything negative to say about any if not all the projects in Singapore. have you ever wonder why you still bother to snope around the forum and checking with agents anywhere about units here and there?

just a curious question... and also wondering what is your reason behind doing so...

Dear Bargain Hunter,

Ok, i take back my words regarding the negative feedback you have for every project. And I apologise for it. After reading your post, i do remember some of the things you previously mentioned.

As for the water pressure, the prescribe level of pressure from PUB is 1.5 bar. 1.5 bar is sufficient for almost anything to work already. Be it rain shower, or any other kind of bubble shower heads.

1.5 Bar may notbe sufficient for those 6 jets shower system, hence for those, installer will usually advise customers to fit in a pressure booster.

In any case, if one is truely serious about saving water, there is not 2 ways around it. It has to come from using less water. And using less water means, cutting down on shower and hair washing time. Cutting down on dish washing time.

i have taken showers in RG before. honestly, i do not find it a problem.

pweesng, i think you are mistaken.

actually, recently when i visited one of the units available for resale at RG and tried out turning on the shower to the max, my wife commented that the water pressure is indeed too weak and would take a long time to wash her hair. i guess capitaland will definitely make it above the prescribed level, just a matter of personal preference.

if you look at my earlier posts, i have always preferred RG and PI, I am not negative on all the projects. I even took pains to write about everything positive about RG and PI. Even for your Wharf unit, remember that I said I liked the spaciousness and lack of wasted space? I like Wharf also because the design of the units are good and the price launched was reasonable.

I have also advocated not trying to talk down the market as it does not work. I just feel that the recently previewed/launched new projects are both too pricey and not of a good design. that is why I have been critical of all these new projects.

i guess its more a ladies' problem with regards to hair washing. for me, i would not think its a problem either. my agent friend told me of this lady tenant whose feedback was the lower water pressure so when we did manage to take a look at a unit, we sort of found it to be so also. A capitaland person told me that all the shower heads were fitted with this little piece of plastic which is a water saving feature. that's what is causing the seemingly lower water pressure i guess. was told the pressure is centrally controlled and the problem affects higher floor units more than lower floor ones for some reason. Can we fit a pressure booster internally within a unit?

Dear Bargain Hunter,

Ok, i take back my words regarding the negative feedback you have for every project. And I apologise for it. After reading your post, i do remember some of the things you previously mentioned.

As for the water pressure, the prescribe level of pressure from PUB is 1.5 bar. 1.5 bar is sufficient for almost anything to work already. Be it rain shower, or any other kind of bubble shower heads.

1.5 Bar may notbe sufficient for those 6 jets shower system, hence for those, installer will usually advise customers to fit in a pressure booster.

In any case, if one is truely serious about saving water, there is not 2 ways around it. It has to come from using less water. And using less water means, cutting down on shower and hair washing time. Cutting down on dish washing time.

According to DMG research:

While take-up for prime projects has receded (Sophia Residences:
    ~ 20+ sold out of 38 launched; Ferrell Residences: < 5 sold out of 34 units), buyers continue to
    stream in for mid and mass projects.

But according to agents, at least 35 units for Sophia Residence has been taken up so not sure which is more accurate.

Perhaps this report from Merrill Lynch is more accurate, earlier one by DMG understated:

This weekend we visited the private preview of Sophia Residence a 272-unit
    development in Mount Sophia by Guocoland and Ascentia Sky a 373-unit
    development by Wing Tai in Alexandra. Pricing for Sophia Residences was set at
    between S$1,400-1,800psf vs. new sales of nearby project Mount Sophia Suites
    at S$1,200-1,300psf. Close to half of the units of the development were “compact
    units” which were relatively well received and around 50 units were sold by
    Sunday afternoon. Over at Ascentia Sky, pricing was set at S$1,300-1,500psf and
    10% discount was offered to buyers during the preview period. Approximately 80
    units were sold over the weekend.

Trying to report as i see and know of this project.

went there the first day of launch. the room is packed. i dont understand why the sarcasm about 15:1 agent ratio. i see my own 2 eyes that the interest is big. i stayed there till 8 pm and the room still has people coming in. i checked out the available units, all studio and 2 bedders sold out. 3 bedders still available but at poor facing. 4 bedders only a handful are available. all in all they launched 180 units since last week. and i think only left 15-20 units in their book.

the finishing is top notch, good parquette flooring, marble floors, big common area (living room and dining). full condo facilities but no tennis court or basketball court.

got access down to Cathay, and Plaza singapura through cathay residences and another access near nomu. its a stone throw away from wilkie mall. plenty of malls within 500m radius.

the 4 bedders are selling for 14xx-1500 psf after all discounts and rebates. Freehold.

in my novice opinion it is a better deal compared to prjects in River Valley, Novena and Newton. Check out Cosmo, Rivergate, Trillium, Park Infinia, even the low floors there are asking 14xx psf. Given its better finishing, and closer to where the action is (orchard) yet still maintain relative quiet, this project beats those i mentioned fairly easy. the exact location is right behind the Cathay.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen1

went there the first day of launch. the room is packed. i dont understand why the sarcasm about 15:1 agent ratio. i see my own 2 eyes that the interest is big. i stayed there till 8 pm and the room still has people coming in. i checked out the available units, all studio and 2 bedders sold out. 3 bedders still available but at poor facing. 4 bedders only a handful are available. all in all they launched 180 units since last week. and i think only left 15-20 units in their book.

the finishing is top notch, good parquette flooring, marble floors, big common area (living room and dining). full condo facilities but no tennis court or basketball court.

got access down to Cathay, and Plaza singapura through cathay residences and another access near nomu. its a stone throw away from wilkie mall. plenty of malls within 500m radius.

the 4 bedders are selling for 14xx-1500 psf after all discounts and rebates. Freehold.

in my novice opinion it is a better deal compared to prjects in River Valley, Novena and Newton. Check out Cosmo, Rivergate, Trillium, Park Infinia, even the low floors there are asking 14xx psf. Given its better finishing, and closer to where the action is (orchard) yet still maintain relative quiet, this project beats those i mentioned fairly easy. the exact location is right behind the Cathay.

I got a unit there, the furnishing I would say is so-so nothing spectacular though, oven and stuff from bosch. The flooring according is "hard stone" according to the agent who mentioned in the specs but its actually marble, not sure why there is the confusion.
    I guess with the recently transaction prices in nomu, prices at sophia residences is pretty reasonable with the exception of the 1/2 bedders which can make ur balls shrink.

Though not in the prime orchard area, I would say the location is unbeatable with access to the dhoby g. mrt interchange, going to orchard, downtown and other places like clarkquay by train is pretty quick. For car access, the only thing I can complain is the stupid erp gantry and the road leading out of sophia area. Personally been to that area very often and quite like the quiet location and yet near to orchard area.

what is full condo facilities without tennis court ?
    then it is apt status ...not condo

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    what is full condo facilities without tennis court ?
    then it is apt status ...not condo
    I think the difference between apt and condo status is not measured by the facilities but land size. An apartment reaches 'condo' status if it has more than 40,000 sqf in land size, and fulfills other minor criteria (such as the edge of a block cannot be too near to the condo border etc).

So essentially, what is the difference between a condo and an apartment status on a piece of land or property?

coz to me, it doesn't seem like a big difference really...

anyone care to enlighten me (us)?

Setback Requirement for Flats and Condominiums :- Fig 1a
    http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text...04.htm#d0e9420

According to URA website, Condominium flats are development on sites of 0.4 ha or larger. Non Condominium flats development i.e apartments are on small sites below 0.4ha.

Therefore the main difference is the land size.

i see...

ok.. the setback is a big difference... essentially it determines the usable land area for the specific plot of land.

Dear Bargain Hunter,

Save water?.. Just bath in the public toilet at the swimming pool

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...42900,00.html?

Published July 23, 2009

Sophia Residence sells 85% of released units

GUOCOLAND Group's Sophia Residence has drawn a strong response from property buyers here, with 85 per cent of its 138 released units sold thus far.

The 138 units included 100 units that were released during the official launch of the development last weekend. GuocoLand said it decided to release 100 units as the initial 38 units released earlier during the preview were all snapped up.

The units sold were a mix of studio, two-, three-, four-bedroom and penthouse units with selling prices ranging from $1,450 to $1,850 per sq ft.

The development features 272 freehold units. All studio and two-bedroom units have been snapped up, said GuocoLand.

Margaret Thean, executive director of real estate agent DTZ, pointed to Sophia Residence's 'extremely attractive' location as the key draw.

Sixty per cent of the buyers are Singaporeans, while the rest are permanent residents and foreigners.

ERA president Jack Chua said that 'foreign buyers are buying the units for their children' due to the property's proximity to institutions of learning, such as the Singapore Management University.

Additional units will be released this weekend.

so they release the units in waves, is it?
    why? some of the potential buyers that came this week and found that all good units are sold, will be turn off...
    is this a matter of pricing? (inceasing the price for the coming release)

so they release the units in waves, is it?
    why? some of the potential buyers that came this week and found that all good units are sold, will be turn off...
    is this a matter of pricing? (inceasing the price for the coming release)
    marketing tact... they release 80 units.. and if they manage to only sell 40 units... they will advertise that 50% of the release units are sold.

They will also staggered some good units and some not so good units at each release.

bear in mind though, even though if the units are not release, if you make a realistic offer to them for the unreleased units, they will still sell one.

I have been to a project, where it was advertised 80% sold, but if you look at the actual units sold, most of them were not part of the released parcel.

Default Resale value for Sophia Residence

Anybody knw what is the resale value for 1Bdrm and 2 Bdrm at Sophia Residence?

Quote Originally Posted by Starry
    Anybody knw what is the resale value for 1Bdrm and 2 Bdrm at Sophia Residence?
    A serach of the URA website today shows 4 caveats lodged:

SOPHIA RESIDENCE SOPHIA ROAD Condominium 1
    $1,383,360
    797sqf
    Strata $1,737psf Aug-09

$2,197,360
    1,378sqf
    Strata $1,595psf Jul-09

$1,348,160
    797sqf
    Strata $1,693psf Jul-09

$1,697,520
    1,033sqf
    Strata $1,643psf Jul-09

My guess is that it's for 2-3 bedders. Psf is $1595-1737psf. For 1 bedder its on the higher end probably $1700-1800psf.. since psf is higher for smaller units.

Thanks Dazzle, any idea how come there are only 4 caveats being lodged? I thought most units were sold out? Thanks

A serach of the URA website today shows 4 caveats lodged:

$1,383,360
    797sqf
    Strata $1,737psf Aug-09

$2,197,360
    1,378sqf
    Strata $1,595psf Jul-09

$1,348,160
    797sqf
    Strata $1,693psf Jul-09

$1,697,520
    1,033sqf
    Strata $1,643psf Jul-09

My guess is that it's for 2-3 bedders. Psf is $1595-1737psf. For 1 bedder its on the higher end probably $1700-1800psf.. since psf is higher for smaller units.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry
    Thanks Dazzle, any idea how come there are only 4 caveats being lodged? I thought most units were sold out? Thanks
    Usually caveats are lodged 2-3 months after transaction depending on the bank... so most probably there will be more in the next few weeks.
    As for resale, I think sellers will try to price higher than what they bought in the first place unless its a desperado case...(i.e. cant service loans etc)