Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Northwood

It is amazing how the price of this condo moves....it's quite tranquil when you visit it on weekends...but on weekdays I dunno how noisy it would be....but still quite amazed by the price hahaha

Not for me anymore....bot a place with less helicopter noise...

Quote Originally Posted by kurby
    It is amazing how the price of this condo moves....it's quite tranquil when you visit it on weekends...but on weekdays I dunno how noisy it would be....but still quite amazed by the price hahaha

Not for me anymore....bot a place with less helicopter noise...
    You have yet to see the worst of it....

Agree that it is ulu and helicopter is really noisey.....

Maybe that is why people are selling at a lost earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Condorich

not true...the helicopter base is far inwards - granted, there is some occasional noise, but just the same as what is experienced by other condo owners in the north when the helicopters fly over.

And there is a distinction between tranquil and ulu - that is of course unless you are out to condemn that place.

Give me any condo and I can always find something to criticize...

I had seen few unit there and Seletaris, so far experience once only the chopper landing/return trip or path.. It was quite loud but last for few second…

I am curious what happen when taking off ? is there a routine timing ?

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    not true...the helicopter base is far inwards - granted, there is some occasional noise, but just the same as what is experienced by other condo owners in the north when the helicopters fly over.

And there is a distinction between tranquil and ulu - that is of course unless you are out to condemn that place.

Give me any condo and I can always find something to criticize...
    I have taken a walk around the condo one day at 8pm...trust me the helicopter noise is highly audible and I am not talking about taking off and landing...there is a helicopter noise that is constantly there for the 15min that i walked around...so for the stack that is facing the army camp, I am very sure you will hear it...but for those stacks that are away from the camp....better...prob won't hear much.

Maybe it is just that day that there was helicopter noise. But I would urge potential buyer to visit the condo during weekday and spend some time there and monitor if there are any helicopter noise and whether you can live with it.

I have taken a walk around the condo one day at 8pm...trust me the helicopter noise is highly audible and I am not talking about taking off and landing...there is a helicopter noise that is constantly there for the 15min that i walked around...so for the stack that is facing the army camp, I am very sure you will hear it...but for those stacks that are away from the camp....better...prob won't hear much.

Maybe it is just that day that there was helicopter noise. But I would urge potential buyer to visit the condo during weekday and spend some time there and monitor if there are any helicopter noise and whether you can live with it.
    Kurby - I have a friend in the air base telling me the base is deep inwards - on rare occasions a smaller heli will operate nearer to the residential site but those are one-off incidents. I hope this did not motivate you to buy Rosewood suites instead though...

2 main factors made me walk away from Northwood:

1. Potential helicopter noise. Maybe I was unlucky to encounter that rare occasion that the small heli was near the condo...but i did hear it clearly and for long enough on that night that i walk around the condo. I have school going kids, so I do not want to risk any noise pollution.
    2. Price - the price for Northwood is getting out of my comfort zone. And for less, I got myself a bigger unit in Rosewood Suites, that suit my needs better. I always wanted a 4 bedroom cause then i can get a study room for the kids and myself....

Anyway, buyers do your own homework and decide whether you like the location etc etc....anyone can say anything here...true or not...just go to the condo on different days, different timing and watch and hear for yourself, the noise, the sun etc etc....if you like it...buy it...

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Hu, 25 January 2010 10.35 pm
    72 Jalan Mata Ayer #03-26 Freehold $710 1313 $933k 22 Dec 09
    66 Jalan Mata Ayer #04-17 Freehold $685 1313 $900k 18 Dec 09
    68 Jalan Mata Ayer #05-18 Freehold $577 1948 $1125k 17 Dec 09
    70 Jalan Mata Ayer #04-22 Freehold $674 1313 $885k 02 Dec 09

Not sure S$710psf is a new high in this area?
    $710 psf is history now.
    Almost-1-year-old Northwood has set a nëw hïgh of $720 psf!

Northwood
    Address ............................ psf ............ Area ........... Price ......... Contract Date
    70 Jalan Mata Ayer #04-23 .... $720 psf .... 1,313 sqft .... $945,000 .... 20 Jan 10

no more fire sales...

normal sales now... and perhaps

profitable sales even.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    $710 psf is history now.
    Almost-1-year-old Northwood has set a nëw hïgh of $720 psf!

Northwood
    Address ............................ psf ............ Area ........... Price ......... Contract Date
    70 Jalan Mata Ayer #04-23 .... $720 psf .... 1,313 sqft .... $945,000 .... 20 Jan 10
    It should be $743psf
    62 Jalan Mata Ayer #05-14 Freehold $743 1130 $840k 14 Nov 09

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Hu, 2 March 2010 10.51 am
    It should be $743psf
    62 Jalan Mata Ayer #05-14 Freehold $743 1130 $840k 14 Nov 09
    Oops! I missed that one for Northwood.

Luckily you corrected me early, otherwise my posting may have .....

Amazing!....

The lucky few who bot the fire sales must be very happy now...but then again you dun gain until you realise it

Yup, that is all an illusion... if you sell and take profit... the replacement property is also expansive and may result in a net loss even if you sold at a price higher than what you have bought...a possible gain if you switch to a smaller property or another more ulu location home.

Anyway it is now on its way up now... But it may even drop again in future to a price lower than the firesales price or keep on climbing. Can go either way, just at different point in time, like SHARES. Look at The Euphony and you will understand.

seems like with nearby LH Estuary hitting past 800psf - FH Northwood is also appreciating. Gone are the days when they were selling 600++psf...

Default for own stay

I bought a unit at blk 60 1335sqft for 940k.I am happy with the unit although it has some mild west sun. Fortunately, the trees from the camp sought of block the afternoon sun, so still ok.
    My wife prefer privacy and like the limited numbr of units at Northwood.
    With nearby Estuary selling close to 800psf and 99yrs lease , I think Northwood is a reasonable buy.

The other plus point is the big balcony. Me and my wife spent lots of time on gardening, so we like it.

The other plus point is macdonalds and jacks place and a seafood restaurent is around the corner. Chong Pang food centre and market is just a short drive away, not to mention the lucky Toto store there.

Only concern is the helicopter noise. Been there in the morning, afternoon.. so far I did not have a chance to experience it..

Hopefully we can leave there for a long time.

I read alot in this forum.. more negative than positive.. but personally I like this property alot...

Quote Originally Posted by sebas3049
    I bought a unit at blk 60 1335sqft for 940k.I am happy with the unit although it has some mild west sun. Fortunately, the trees from the camp sought of block the afternoon sun, so still ok.
    My wife prefer privacy and like the limited numbr of units at Northwood.
    With nearby Estuary selling close to 800psf and 99yrs lease , I think Northwood is a reasonable buy.

The other plus point is the big balcony. Me and my wife spent lots of time on gardening, so we like it.

The other plus point is macdonalds and jacks place and a seafood restaurent is around the corner. Chong Pang food centre and market is just a short drive away, not to mention the lucky Toto store there.

Only concern is the helicopter noise. Been there in the morning, afternoon.. so far I did not have a chance to experience it..

Hopefully we can leave there for a long time.

I read alot in this forum.. more negative than positive.. but personally I like this property alot...
    Haha you mean live there for a long time, not leave there for a long time. Any idea if there are still units like yours selling at this price? I do agree that 700psf for freehold is good deal but I'm still looking...

Haha you mean live there for a long time, not leave there for a long time. Any idea if there are still units like yours selling at this price? I do agree that 700psf for freehold is good deal but I'm still looking...
    I think on Stack 60 there is one unit on the 3rd floor selling around this price. They plan to rent it if they can't sell it.

I have to first qualify that I am not an agent nor own a unit there. Some lesser known freehold and older development next to One St Michael is selling at about 650-700psf. It is near the city fringe and 8 mins from Boon Keng mrt stn.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I have to first qualify that I am not an agent nor own a unit there. Some lesser known freehold and older development next to One St Michael is selling at about 650-700psf. It is near the city fringe and 8 mins from Boon Keng mrt stn.
    You can't compare an old development versus a just TOP site. I have a friend leaving in St Michael. It has limited facilities and most of the units are tenanted to foreign students from China and Myanmar. Usually centrally located condo are good for rental income. IMHO, Northwood is more suitable for living. I doubt it can command rental benefits due to its ulu location...

You can't compare an old development versus a just TOP site. I have a friend leaving in St Michael. It has limited facilities and most of the units are tenanted to foreign students from China and Myanmar. Usually centrally located condo are good for rental income. IMHO, Northwood is more suitable for living. I doubt it can command rental benefits due to its ulu location...
    yup... leaving..... (living)

Everything is nice except the noise. Anywhere near airports are subject to it. How about Casa Meya?

25 Meyappa Chettiar Road #08-03
    Freehold
    $506
    $610k
    20 Oct 09
    25 Meyappa Chettiar Road #06-03
    Freehold
    $518
    $625k
    20 Oct 09

yup... leaving..... (living)

Everything is nice except the noise. Anywhere near airports are subject to it. How about Casa Meya?

25 Meyappa Chettiar Road #08-03
    Freehold
    $506
    $610k
    20 Oct 09
    25 Meyappa Chettiar Road #06-03
    Freehold
    $518
    $625k
    20 Oct 09
    http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housi...-CASA-MEYA.htm

they selling 1053psf leh...

recently TOP'ed?? This is in Potong Pasir - not relevant

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housi...-CASA-MEYA.htm

they selling 1053psf leh...

recently TOP'ed?? This is in Potong Pasir - not relevant
    Yup, replied since he said saint michael area, back to northwood...

why is it named northwood and northgold, northwater, northlight, northland... other elements.

Yup, replied since he said saint michael area, back to northwood...

why is it named northwood and northgold, northwater, northlight, northland... other elements.
    ha ha that true..when i heard this north WOOD..1st thing come into my mind is in woodlands...don know why
    but again..is just a name...

Default noise?

i was there on a weekday with my fengshui master. His comment is positive as the place is quiet ( good for living). On another weekday with my renovation contractor, we stayed there from 12-5 pm and did not have a chance to witness the so called helicopter noise coming from the barracks. A quick check with a resident who was at the pool side also confirmed that the frequent helicopter noise is not as noisy as what people are claiming in the forum.

I also spoke to the management office person ( office happen to be within Northwood premises) and he also informed me that he hardly hear any high decibel noise coming from the nearby camp. It is occasional that you hear the helicopter zoomng past the condo.

Another quick check with the cleaner at the nearby Sembawang Country Club( yes I am a member there) and confirmed that the helicopter noise is not significant enough to call it as Deafening.

I am moving into the new unit in JUNE. Looking forward to my first taste "living" in a freehold condo.

2 main factors made me walk away from Northwood:

1. Potential helicopter noise. Maybe I was unlucky to encounter that rare occasion that the small heli was near the condo...but i did hear it clearly and for long enough on that night that i walk around the condo. I have school going kids, so I do not want to risk any noise pollution.
    2. Price - the price for Northwood is getting out of my comfort zone. And for less, I got myself a bigger unit in Rosewood Suites, that suit my needs better. I always wanted a 4 bedroom cause then i can get a study room for the kids and myself....

Anyway, buyers do your own homework and decide whether you like the location etc etc....anyone can say anything here...true or not...just go to the condo on different days, different timing and watch and hear for yourself, the noise, the sun etc etc....if you like it...buy it...

I am glad you like the place, thats the most important isn't it, especially for self stay.

Do homework, like it, buy it...simple as that...

i was there on a weekday with my fengshui master. His comment is positive as the place is quiet ( good for living). On another weekday with my renovation contractor, we stayed there from 12-5 pm and did not have a chance to witness the so called helicopter noise coming from the barracks. A quick check with a resident who was at the pool side also confirmed that the frequent helicopter noise is not as noisy as what people are claiming in the forum.

I also spoke to the management office person ( office happen to be within Northwood premises) and he also informed me that he hardly hear any high decibel noise coming from the nearby camp. It is occasional that you hear the helicopter zoomng past the condo.

Another quick check with the cleaner at the nearby Sembawang Country Club( yes I am a member there) and confirmed that the helicopter noise is not significant enough to call it as Deafening.

I am moving into the new unit in JUNE. Looking forward to my first taste "living" in a freehold condo.

Default Thanks for your comment

Hey Dude,

Thanks for your words. I fully agree with you.
    If you like the unit, no matter what or how others view, you willl still buy it. Go with your heart and (money) sense and everything will be alright.

I just make friend with another forum user here. Nice chap.
    He also got a unit and had moved in this year. Both of us shared the same thoughts- we want a place that we can call home, where we can relax at the balcony with a glass of wine or beer , unlike some property that is over-crowded with locals and PR foreigners crowding the babarcue pits, function room and swimming pool on a weekend. I have lived in HDB my whole life and I am not racist or anything like that, but I have friends living in an existing condo ( more than 10 yrs old) and most of the owners or tenants are mostly from China or India.

By the way, are you that guy who bought a unit in Woodlands? is it Rosewood or some others? Hope you like your place too.

I am glad you like the place, thats the most important isn't it, especially for self stay.

Do homework, like it, buy it...simple as that...

Default Northwood price

NORTHWOOD JALAN MATA AYERCondominium1980,0001,335Strata734Apr-
    Northwood latest URA transaction (Apr 2010) is 734psf!!!
    Up Up Up!!

NORTHWOOD JALAN MATA AYERCondominium1980,0001,335Strata734Apr-
    Northwood latest URA transaction (Apr 2010) is 734psf!!!
    Up Up Up!!
    Just checked the caveats for NW - the psf actually passed 800psf...

Think whole of the far north is slowing but surely moving up...

Just checked the caveats for NW - the psf actually passed 800psf...

Think whole of the far north is slowing but surely moving up...
    I visited sensoria FH, 2bedder selling 860K, still can nego. Check it out. new and nice project although only 70+ units.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I visited sensoria FH, 2bedder selling 860K, still can nego. Check it out. new and nice project although only 70+ units.
    I've seen it before - nice balinese theme but lack of facilities. Also do you know the carpark entrance is one lane only? Which means if you want to go in and someone wants to come out one has to give way.

Psf is actually higher than Northwood, which is bigger and newer - good thing is that it takes 5min to walk to Sembawang shopping centre.

Anyway gave this a miss especially when u consider that their buying price was around 500psf (some lower)