Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Seven Palms (D4, 99 years leasehold, SC Global)

  1. #21

    Default

    you make sentosa buyers look stupid...

    you don't get the occasional tanker. you actually get many parked pretty close to your doorstep.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    "luxurious" is a state of the mind.

    Which view is more luxurious?

    Photo A (Sentosa Cove Sea Front House) S$ 20,000,000

    with greyish oil-stained sea water, barren islands and the occasional tanker sailing past in the background



    Photo B (Brazil Bahia Sea View Apartment) S$ 361,000

    with breath-taking panoramic view of crystal blue ocean and clear sky, historic architecture buildings perched on cliffs and yachts in the background


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    373

    Default

    i drive a bmw 335i E93. C180/320i over mazda 6. your analogy of 99yr condo in HDB heartland is off. should be FH landed in YCK which are cheaper than FH condo in D9/10.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    there is no point driving a luxury car that doesnt have the horsepower to match, might as well drive a picanto or perodua, unless you're chauffer driven of course. it doesnt really matter how heavy the car is, but its all abt the torque/centurysprint and handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    lol you certainly seem to know your cars - what do you drive?

    my point being that just as in properties, many car buyers buy into brand and perceived prestige rather than for the enjoyment of the drive. why buy a 320 or c180 when a mazda 6 is faster, better equipped and way cheaper? Unless chauffered, why even bother with a s300 when a top of the line hyundai is a plushier ride?

    same with properties - why bother to buy a 99LH condo right smack in the middle of a HDB estate?
    I mentioned fullsize but am not sure why mini (Picanto) and compact (Mazda 6) were brought in to compare. I think we should compare with the same size, e.g. Hyundai Equus or 300C with 7-series, to be fair.

    Size is different from performance. They are 2 different requirements. Please don't mix them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    I hope the day will come for me to understand the logic. ... but then ... I think this day is unlikely to come. Meanwhile, I will just continue to stress my 6 pistons to play catch up.
    (gfoo, I've got your point but Mazda 6 2.0 is not a good example as it is slower than S300 and C180 (1.6T). Let me bring in a better example.)

    Legacy GT (2.5T AWD) is faster than C300 and so much much more cheaper. I agree totally. I don't see the logic of buying the C300. As mentioned in my last posting, I don't "understand the logic".

    And because I can't "understand the logic", the day for me to own a S65L AMG, CLK AMG DTM, Bugati Veyron will never come.


    I think we have went OB for quite a while in this thread. Let's stop discussing this car thing?

    Meanwhile, I am going to work really hard on "understanding the logic". I know you are going to say I am a fool and an idiot. I know, I know, but I really want to be a fool that own one of these no-value-for-money car. You need fools and idiots in the society so that the rest are intelligent and smart. I am willing to be that fool.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    Definitely the brazilian seaside view looks more luxurious.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    i drive a bmw 335i E93. C180/320i over mazda 6. your analogy of 99yr condo in HDB heartland is off. should be FH landed in YCK which are cheaper than FH condo in D9/10.
    kewl, you jb3ed your n54 yet?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    373

    Default

    nope, everything is stock. stock rims and runflats even. i'd get a GTR or 997 turbo if i really wanted to blow people away. i'd hate to be seen driving a zhng-ed car, it's just not me.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    373

    Default

    The 335 to me was meant to be a luxury GT straight from the factory, not a hardcore track car. why mess with the engine management and turbo boost. don't be cheapskate and buy a 911 turbo already! anyway, back to condos.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    The 335 to me was meant to be a luxury GT straight from the factory, not a hardcore track car. why mess with the engine management and turbo boost. don't be cheapskate and buy a 911 turbo already! anyway, back to condos.
    wahh... orange you rich mah...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Definitely the brazilian seaside view looks more luxurious.
    "luxurious" is a state of the mind.

    How about if I superimpose some "thought bubbles" into the photos?

    Which view looks more "luxurious" now?

    Photo A (Sentosa Cove Sea Front House) S$ 20,000,000

    with greyish oil-stained sea water, barren islands and the occasional tanker sailing past in the background



    Photo B (Brazil Bahia Sea View Apartment) S$ 361,000

    with breath-taking panoramic view of crystal blue ocean and clear sky, historic architecture buildings perched on cliffs and yachts in the background



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    I think we have went OB for quite a while in this thread. Let's stop discussing this car thing?

    Meanwhile, I am going to work really hard on "understanding the logic". I know you are going to say I am a fool and an idiot. I know, I know, but I really want to be a fool that own one of these no-value-for-money car. You need fools and idiots in the society so that the rest are intelligent and smart. I am willing to be that fool.
    Can't be helped ... I think most of us here (I may be wrong) are not in the league of buying these Sentosa Cove $20 M bungalows and $15 M Seven Palms condos.

    Hence our minds tend to drift ... into cars!

    e.g. Reporter's S300L, orange's 335i ...

    Actually, the concept of "value for money" is very subjective. I would say that everyone thinks his own car or house is "value for money", otherwise he wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

    Take for example those two cars above, each of which costs around $280,000.

    If you ask the majority of Singaporeans struggling to pay the mortgage of their HDB flats or suburban condos whether the two cars above are "value for money", I think you will get this response ...

    SIAO !!!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    singapore's seaside view really can't fight that brazilian one.

    i would much prefer perhaps a penthouse with a great view, brazil probably don't have this kind of view.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Can't be helped ... I think most of us here (I may be wrong) are not in the league of buying these Sentosa Cove $20 M bungalows and $15 M Seven Palms condos.

    Hence our minds tend to drift ... into cars!

    e.g. Reporter's S300L, orange's 335i ...

    Actually, the concept of "value for money" is very subjective. I would say that everyone thinks his own car or house is "value for money", otherwise he wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

    Take for example those two cars above, each of which costs around $280,000.

    If you ask the majority of Singaporeans struggling to pay the mortgage of their HDB flats or suburban condos whether the two cars above are "value for money", I think you will get this response ...

    SIAO !!!
    Err ... my 6-pistons car may not be a S300L ...
    ... it could be this very torquey Superb 2.5 V6 TDI ...


    Silver Arrow taxi driver has every rights to be in this forum to discuss condo too. Agree?

    Anyway, Grandeur 3.3, Accord 3.5, 335i, E350, GT-R, 911 Turbo, etc., all have 6 pistons.


    I think, base on my limited knowledge of Brazil, staying in Sentosa may be better than in Brazil. A Brazilian friend once told me he was awaken from his sleep and robbed at the gun point at midnight in his condo!

    So 7 Palms is still more Fun?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    from a views perspective, singapore's strength isn't in sea view. that's all.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    singapore's seaside view really can't fight that brazilian one.

    i would much prefer perhaps a penthouse with a great view, brazil probably don't have this kind of view.
    Singapore's seaside view can't fight with that of any country in the world. The water here is so greyish that it has to be photoshopped in property brochures to turn the sea blue.

    Hence "sea view" here has to be a "state of the mind".

    Of course Brazil has penthouses with great views. Look at the penthouse below, it is 4,413 sf and costs only S$ 923,000.

    ps. by the way I'm not a property agent from Brazil.













  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,482

    Default

    For a moment I thought you were some real estate agent iin brazil. I should say penthouse with CITY view. Maybe that one we're better than many other places.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    Err ... my 6-pistons car may not be a S300L ...
    ... it could be this very torquey Superb 2.5 V6 TDI ...

    Silver Arrow taxi driver has every rights to be in this forum to discuss condo too. Agree?

    Anyway, Grandeur 3.3, Accord 3.5, 335i, E350, GT-R, 911 Turbo, etc., all have 6 pistons.
    I know your 6-pistons car is a S300L because it is the least "value for money" amongst the cars above (other than the 911 Turbo).

    Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 279 bhp); price per bhp = $469 pbhp
    GT-R ($248,000, 480 bhp); price per bhp = $517 pbhp
    335i ($275,800, 306 bhp); price per bhp = $901 pbhp
    E350 ($262,800, 272 bhp); price per bhp = $966 pbhp
    S300L ($286,888, 231 bhp) price per bhp = $1,242 pbhp
    911 Turbo ($638,888, 480 bhp) price per bhp = $1,331 pbhp

    The S300L is the least "value for money" (except for the 911) so yours must be S300L since you said that it is "not value for money".

    I don't think you drive 911 Turbo because you said you "don't understand the logic" of spending more than half-a-million on those AMG-type cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    I think, base on my limited knowledge of Brazil, staying in Sentosa may be better than in Brazil. A Brazilian friend once told me he was awaken from his sleep and robbed at the gun point at midnight in his condo!

    So 7 Palms is still more Fun?
    Part of the high price of Sentosa Cove homes is the security.

    The Straits Times

    October 10, 2009 Saturday

    Seafront homes


    The Cove's streets are designed to be closed to non-residents without a permit - another first for a landed estate in Singapore - and the coastal waters around it are patrolled by the Police Coast Guard and monitored by surveillance cameras.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    ....................

    I don't think you drive 911 Turbo because you said you "don't understand the logic" of spending more than half-a-million on those AMG-type cars.
    Err ... actually I say I don't understand the logic now (because I am not there yet) but I intend to work real hard on understanding it as I love to drive "no-value-for-money" cars like the Panamera, 911 Turbo, S-class Coupe (formerly CL), etc.. Sorry! I know I shouldn't do it but I was just teasing myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Part of the high price of Sentosa Cove homes is the security.

    The Straits Times

    October 10, 2009 Saturday

    Seafront homes


    The Cove's streets are designed to be closed to non-residents without a permit - another first for a landed estate in Singapore - and the coastal waters around it are patrolled by the Police Coast Guard and monitored by surveillance cameras.
    These together with the fast approval process will attract more UHNWIs to Singapore.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    Err ... actually I say I don't understand the logic now (because I am not there yet) but I intend to work real hard on understanding it as I love to drive "no-value-for-money" cars like the Panamera, 911 Turbo, S-class Coupe (formerly CL), etc.. Sorry! I know I shouldn't do it but I was just teasing myself.
    Ohhh ... Now I understand.

    My car is also very "no-value-for-money", but not as bad as yours.

    So you must like this car very much because it is the most "no-value-for-money" ...

    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 453 bhp); $3,335 pbhp.

    But I doubt you will buy this car although it is "most-value-for-money" ...

    Subaru WRX STI (M) ($92,000, 230 bhp); $400 pbhp.

    Actually, the concept of "value-for-money" depends on the denominator. If it is horsepower, then of course S300L and Phantom are very poor value for money. On the other hand, if the denominator is "prestige", then it will be a different story.

    How do we measure "prestige"? That is the difficult part, but let me try.

    China Cars (2 prestige points); Korean/ Low-brand Japanese (4 prestige points); Japanese (Excluding Lexus)/ Low-brand Continental (8 prestige points); Continental (16 prestige points); Luxury (32 prestige points); Super Cars (64 prestige points); Ultra-Rich Cars (128 prestige points).

    Each prestige point approximately translates to an equivalent of $10,000 in annual income of the median income of people normally associated with this brand of car (not that particular model itself).

    Subaru WRX STI ($92,000, 4 prestige points); price per prestige =$23,000 pppp
    Honda Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $16,350 pppp
    Nissan GT-R ($248,000, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $31,000 pppp
    BMW 335i ($275,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,619 pppp
    Merc E350 ($262,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,213 pppp
    Merc S300L ($286,888, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,965 pppp
    Porsche 911 Turbo ($638,888, 64 prestige points); price per prestige = $9,983 pppp
    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 128 prestige points); price per prestige = $11,804 pppp

    Using this way of determining "value-for-money", it can be seen that Reporter's S300L is very "value-for-money" !!!

    On the other hand, the Nissan GT-R is the least value for money. Can you imagine ... after spending close to a quarter-million on a GT-R, you can only tell people that you "drive a Nissan"?

    Now that I get the hang of it, next time I'll try to work out another table on "value-for-money" for properties.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    648

    Default

    are you a retireee ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Ohhh ... Now I understand.

    My car is also very "no-value-for-money", but not as bad as yours.

    So you must like this car very much because it is the most "no-value-for-money" ...

    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 453 bhp); $3,335 pbhp.

    But I doubt you will buy this car although it is "most-value-for-money" ...

    Subaru WRX STI (M) ($92,000, 230 bhp); $400 pbhp.

    Actually, the concept of "value-for-money" depends on the denominator. If it is horsepower, then of course S300L and Phantom are very poor value for money. On the other hand, if the denominator is "prestige", then it will be a different story.

    How do we measure "prestige"? That is the difficult part, but let me try.

    China Cars (2 prestige points); Korean/ Low-brand Japanese (4 prestige points); Japanese (Excluding Lexus)/ Low-brand Continental (8 prestige points); Continental (16 prestige points); Luxury (32 prestige points); Super Cars (64 prestige points); Ultra-Rich Cars (128 prestige points).

    Each prestige point approximately translates to an equivalent of $10,000 in annual income of the median income of people normally associated with this brand of car (not that particular model itself).

    Subaru WRX STI ($92,000, 4 prestige points); price per prestige =$23,000 pppp
    Honda Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $16,350 pppp
    Nissan GT-R ($248,000, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $31,000 pppp
    BMW 335i ($275,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,619 pppp
    Merc E350 ($262,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,213 pppp
    Merc S300L ($286,888, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,965 pppp
    Porsche 911 Turbo ($638,888, 64 prestige points); price per prestige = $9,983 pppp
    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 128 prestige points); price per prestige = $11,804 pppp

    Using this way of determining "value-for-money", it can be seen that Reporter's S300L is very "value-for-money" !!!

    On the other hand, the Nissan GT-R is the least value for money. Can you imagine ... after spending close to a quarter-million on a GT-R, you can only tell people that you "drive a Nissan"?

    Now that I get the hang of it, next time I'll try to work out another table on "value-for-money" for properties.

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    singapore's seaside view really can't fight that brazilian one.

    i would much prefer perhaps a penthouse with a great view, brazil probably don't have this kind of view.
    not just brazil ... cant fight most other countries ..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •