Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seven Palms (D4, 99 years leasehold, SC Global)

singapore's seaside view really can't fight that brazilian one.

i would much prefer perhaps a penthouse with a great view, brazil probably don't have this kind of view.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Can't be helped ... I think most of us here (I may be wrong) are not in the league of buying these Sentosa Cove $20 M bungalows and $15 M Seven Palms condos.

Hence our minds tend to drift ... into cars!

e.g. Reporter's S300L, orange's 335i ...

Actually, the concept of "value for money" is very subjective. I would say that everyone thinks his own car or house is "value for money", otherwise he wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Take for example those two cars above, each of which costs around $280,000.

If you ask the majority of Singaporeans struggling to pay the mortgage of their HDB flats or suburban condos whether the two cars above are "value for money", I think you will get this response ...

SIAO !!!
    Err ... my 6-pistons car may not be a S300L ...
    ... it could be this very torquey Superb 2.5 V6 TDI ...

Silver Arrow taxi driver has every rights to be in this forum to discuss condo too. Agree?

Anyway, Grandeur 3.3, Accord 3.5, 335i, E350, GT-R, 911 Turbo, etc., all have 6 pistons.

I think, base on my limited knowledge of Brazil, staying in Sentosa may be better than in Brazil. A Brazilian friend once told me he was awaken from his sleep and robbed at the gun point at midnight in his condo!

So 7 Palms is still more Fun?

from a views perspective, singapore's strength isn't in sea view. that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by kane

i would much prefer perhaps a penthouse with a great view, brazil probably don't have this kind of view.
    Singapore's seaside view can't fight with that of any country in the world. The water here is so greyish that it has to be photoshopped in property brochures to turn the sea blue.

Hence "sea view" here has to be a "state of the mind".

Of course Brazil has penthouses with great views. Look at the penthouse below, it is 4,413 sf and costs only S$ 923,000.

ps. by the way I'm not a property agent from Brazil.

For a moment I thought you were some real estate agent iin brazil. I should say penthouse with CITY view. Maybe that one we're better than many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    Err ... my 6-pistons car may not be a S300L ...
    ... it could be this very torquey Superb 2.5 V6 TDI ...

Silver Arrow taxi driver has every rights to be in this forum to discuss condo too. Agree?

Anyway, Grandeur 3.3, Accord 3.5, 335i, E350, GT-R, 911 Turbo, etc., all have 6 pistons.
    I know your 6-pistons car is a S300L because it is the least "value for money" amongst the cars above (other than the 911 Turbo).

Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 279 bhp); price per bhp = $469 pbhp
    GT-R ($248,000, 480 bhp); price per bhp = $517 pbhp
    335i ($275,800, 306 bhp); price per bhp = $901 pbhp
    E350 ($262,800, 272 bhp); price per bhp = $966 pbhp
    S300L ($286,888, 231 bhp) price per bhp = $1,242 pbhp
    911 Turbo ($638,888, 480 bhp) price per bhp = $1,331 pbhp

The S300L is the least "value for money" (except for the 911) so yours must be S300L since you said that it is "not value for money".

I don't think you drive 911 Turbo because you said you "don't understand the logic" of spending more than half-a-million on those AMG-type cars.

I think, base on my limited knowledge of Brazil, staying in Sentosa may be better than in Brazil. A Brazilian friend once told me he was awaken from his sleep and robbed at the gun point at midnight in his condo!

So 7 Palms is still more Fun?
    Part of the high price of Sentosa Cove homes is the security.

The Straits Times

October 10, 2009 Saturday

Seafront homes

The Cove's streets are designed to be closed to non-residents without a permit - another first for a landed estate in Singapore - and the coastal waters around it are patrolled by the Police Coast Guard and monitored by surveillance cameras.

I don't think you drive 911 Turbo because you said you "don't understand the logic" of spending more than half-a-million on those AMG-type cars.
    Err ... actually I say I don't understand the logic now (because I am not there yet) but I intend to work real hard on understanding it as I love to drive "no-value-for-money" cars like the Panamera, 911 Turbo, S-class Coupe (formerly CL), etc.. Sorry! I know I shouldn't do it but I was just teasing myself.

Part of the high price of Sentosa Cove homes is the security.

The Straits Times

October 10, 2009 Saturday

Seafront homes

The Cove's streets are designed to be closed to non-residents without a permit - another first for a landed estate in Singapore - and the coastal waters around it are patrolled by the Police Coast Guard and monitored by surveillance cameras.
    These together with the fast approval process will attract more UHNWIs to Singapore.

Err ... actually I say I don't understand the logic now (because I am not there yet) but I intend to work real hard on understanding it as I love to drive "no-value-for-money" cars like the Panamera, 911 Turbo, S-class Coupe (formerly CL), etc.. Sorry! I know I shouldn't do it but I was just teasing myself.
    Ohhh ... Now I understand.

My car is also very "no-value-for-money", but not as bad as yours.

So you must like this car very much because it is the most "no-value-for-money" ...

Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 453 bhp); $3,335 pbhp.

But I doubt you will buy this car although it is "most-value-for-money" ...

Subaru WRX STI (M) ($92,000, 230 bhp); $400 pbhp.

Actually, the concept of "value-for-money" depends on the denominator. If it is horsepower, then of course S300L and Phantom are very poor value for money. On the other hand, if the denominator is "prestige", then it will be a different story.

How do we measure "prestige"? That is the difficult part, but let me try.

China Cars (2 prestige points); Korean/ Low-brand Japanese (4 prestige points); Japanese (Excluding Lexus)/ Low-brand Continental (8 prestige points); Continental (16 prestige points); Luxury (32 prestige points); Super Cars (64 prestige points); Ultra-Rich Cars (128 prestige points).

Each prestige point approximately translates to an equivalent of $10,000 in annual income of the median income of people normally associated with this brand of car (not that particular model itself).

Subaru WRX STI ($92,000, 4 prestige points); price per prestige =$23,000 pppp
    Honda Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $16,350 pppp
    Nissan GT-R ($248,000, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $31,000 pppp
    BMW 335i ($275,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,619 pppp
    Merc E350 ($262,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,213 pppp
    Merc S300L ($286,888, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,965 pppp
    Porsche 911 Turbo ($638,888, 64 prestige points); price per prestige = $9,983 pppp
    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 128 prestige points); price per prestige = $11,804 pppp

Using this way of determining "value-for-money", it can be seen that Reporter's S300L is very "value-for-money" !!!

On the other hand, the Nissan GT-R is the least value for money. Can you imagine ... after spending close to a quarter-million on a GT-R, you can only tell people that you "drive a Nissan"?

Now that I get the hang of it, next time I'll try to work out another table on "value-for-money" for properties.

are you a retireee ?

So you must like this car very much because it is the most "no-value-for-money" ...

Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 453 bhp); $3,335 pbhp.

But I doubt you will buy this car although it is "most-value-for-money" ...

Subaru WRX STI (M) ($92,000, 230 bhp); $400 pbhp.

Actually, the concept of "value-for-money" depends on the denominator. If it is horsepower, then of course S300L and Phantom are very poor value for money. On the other hand, if the denominator is "prestige", then it will be a different story.

How do we measure "prestige"? That is the difficult part, but let me try.

China Cars (2 prestige points); Korean/ Low-brand Japanese (4 prestige points); Japanese (Excluding Lexus)/ Low-brand Continental (8 prestige points); Continental (16 prestige points); Luxury (32 prestige points); Super Cars (64 prestige points); Ultra-Rich Cars (128 prestige points).

Each prestige point approximately translates to an equivalent of $10,000 in annual income of the median income of people normally associated with this brand of car (not that particular model itself).

Subaru WRX STI ($92,000, 4 prestige points); price per prestige =$23,000 pppp
    Honda Accord 3.5 ($130,800, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $16,350 pppp
    Nissan GT-R ($248,000, 8 prestige points); price per prestige = $31,000 pppp
    BMW 335i ($275,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,619 pppp
    Merc E350 ($262,800, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,213 pppp
    Merc S300L ($286,888, 32 prestige points); price per prestige = $8,965 pppp
    Porsche 911 Turbo ($638,888, 64 prestige points); price per prestige = $9,983 pppp
    Rolls Royce Phantom (A) ($1,510,888, 128 prestige points); price per prestige = $11,804 pppp

Using this way of determining "value-for-money", it can be seen that Reporter's S300L is very "value-for-money" !!!

On the other hand, the Nissan GT-R is the least value for money. Can you imagine ... after spending close to a quarter-million on a GT-R, you can only tell people that you "drive a Nissan"?

Now that I get the hang of it, next time I'll try to work out another table on "value-for-money" for properties.

not just brazil ... cant fight most other countries ..

Wah lau erh!

If I was 14 years younger, I would have copy and submit your thesis for my NBA project.

Err ... actually, I was just simply saying:
    "I examine value-for-money on my purchase now because I am not there yet. If I am there, I would simply buy the things I like and not worry too much about its value.
    For example, Equus may be a better car (in terms of features, quietness, etc.) than LS, but I may just buy Conti SP because I like it"

Can don't come up with so many figures? I'm quite scare!

Ok! No more figures and NBA, how about barcharts and philosophy (PhD)?

Let's analyse why Seven Palms is so expensive, when there are so many beautiful beachfront homes in the world selling at a fraction of its price?

Look at the chart below (from the marketing website of Desaru beach villas) ...

Bar graph showing comparable 4-bed villa prices

The reason why Seven Palms is so expensive is because ... it is so expensive !!!

This is the greatest philosophy of all times !!!

Look at the conversation above between orange and gfoo,

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    The 335 to me was meant to be a luxury GT straight from the factory, not a hardcore track car. why mess with the engine management and turbo boost. don't be cheapskate and buy a 911 turbo already! anyway, back to condos.
    wahh... orange you rich mah...
    Do you think gfoo will say "wahh... orange you rich mah..." if orange lives in the US where a BMW 335i costs just USD 49,100 (S$ 68,740) instead of S$ 275,800 here in Singapore?

So what you are paying for (whether Seven Palms or 335i) is the admiration and respect of others.

Try saying ...

"Seven Palms to me was meant to be a luxury weekend getaway from the stress of work, not a home ... "

versus

"Desaru to me was meant to be a luxury weekend getaway from the stress of work, not a home ... "

So the value of Seven Palms is in its price and the more expensive it gets, the more valuable it becomes !!!

So the correct ... properties are not homogeneous pdts.

Wa.. then must mentioned the specific home more often in conversation..
    If not.. nobody know.. coz most will just mention I live in Sentosa ...and people will say..Wa.. u rich..

Actually i got my car for much less. It is a PI car and yes, paid in full. Low depreciation for a car like this. And am enjoying every min of it.

I think that price paid for cars and homes should be pegged to one's total cash asset. What should be the proportion? Don't talk about salary cos that's future income.

Actually i got my car for much less. It is a PI car and yes, paid in full. Low depreciation for a car like this. And am enjoying every min of it.
    With 5 years warranty?
    Did they increase the price after you told them you are paying in cash?

Smart move!
    I will get my car from PI next time too.. Don't feel any difference in service or delivery standards buying from Authorized Dealer..

Might as well save the money and buy from PI.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Smart move!
    I will get my car from PI next time too.. Don't feel any difference in service or delivery standards buying from Authorized Dealer..

Beside higher specs, PI also gives 5 year warranty based on servicing at Delgro workshop.

depends on which car you buy.

normal inline 6 or non FI engines any PI also can - all use KATC warranty anyways.

but cabrios and stuff that needs more specialized, harder to get parts, please think twice. e.g. the N54 is famous for HPFP failures, and PIs are last in line to parts replacements.

depends on which car you buy.

normal inline 6 or non FI engines any PI also can - all use KATC warranty anyways.

but cabrios and stuff that needs more specialized, harder to get parts, please think twice. e.g. the N54 is famous for HPFP failures, and PIs are last in line to parts replacements.
    Err ... you mean 135i, 335i, 535i, 635i, 740i, etc. can suffer from HPFP failures?

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...45540,00.html?

Published October 7, 2009

Seven Palms smashes price records at Sentosa Cove

SC Global sells units at $3,100-$3,400 psf at the exclusive 4-storey project

Will Seven Palms record sail down as history soon?
    Let's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sail, The Sail @ Marina Bay, 3 hours ago
    a stack 3 unit was ... sold at $2699 psf in September ...
    ... slowly but surely crawing towards $3000 psf again
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter, The Sail @ Marina Bay, 45 minutes ago
    Oh my goodness!

The Sail resale has hit $2,699 psf in September?

Wow! Congratulations!

from a views perspective, singapore's strength isn't in sea view. that's all.
    Will they see Singapore's strength?

Quote Originally Posted by AFP

China’s billionaires rise to 130 despite global crisis
    Allison Jackson
    Agence France-Presse
    Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Car battery tycoon Wang Chuanfu topped a new list of China’s 1,000 richest people released Tuesday, which has 130 billionaires in an emphatic declaration of the Asian giant’s economic arrival.

Most of the super-wealthy on the Hurun Rich List, unlike Wang, made their fortunes in the property and stock markets – the focus of Beijing’s massive government stimulus efforts over the past year.

China’s wealth is growing at breakneck speed,” Rupert Hoogewerf, the founder of the Shanghai-based Hurun Report which publishes the annual list, told a press conference.

“You can double the real number of billionaires in China to 260. There are still a large number of billionaires off the radar screens, managing to build up substantial wealth away from the public spotlight from property, the stock market and investments.”

Wang, the founder of rechargeable battery and electric car maker BYD, leapt 102 places to top the rich list after his fortune increased more than five-fold to 5.1 billion US dollars ($7.1 billion), said Hoogewerf.

The rich list gained 180 new members – despite the entry criteria for the latest list rising by 50% to 150 million US dollars.

Seven people moved into the top 10, in the biggest shake-up since the report started publishing the rich list in 1999.

Last year’s richest man, Huang Guangyu, who made his fortune building up the nation’s largest electrical appliance chain Gome, slipped to the 17th spot after he was detained late last year on suspicion of market manipulation.

Du Shuanghua, last year’s second-richest person, plunged 39 places to 41 as he battled a state-owned company for control of Shandong-based private steel manufacturer Rizhao Steel.

“Since our 2004 list, we have seen a ten-fold increase in the number of individuals with personal wealth of at least 150 million dollars,” said Hoogewerf.

“In 2004, we could only find 100 individuals with 150 million, whereas this year, we managed to find 1,000 individuals with 150 million.”

Rebounding capital markets and property prices pushed the collective net worth of the 1,000 richest people in China to 571 billion dollars by September 15 of this year, from 439 billion US dollars last year, the report found.

Zhang Yin, the woman who founded paper-recycling company Nine Dragons Paper and China’s richest person in 2006, was in second place.

Zhang was one of 102 women on the list – up from 88 last year and accounting for 10.2% of the total.

“Significantly, all are self-made, a remarkably high percentage compared with their Western counterparts. Chinese women now lead the world’s richest self-made women,” the report said.

Among the new people in the top 10 were husband and wife Huang Wei and Li Ping, who shot up 23 spots to fifth place through their 71% stake in Shanghai-listed property developer Xinhu Zhongbao.

Shares in Xinhu Zhongbao had surged 265% to 12.5 yuan in early September from 4.7 yuan a year ago, the report said, reflecting strong gains in the Chinese stock market.

Zhongwang Holdings chairman Liu Zhongtian moved into 10th place with 4.1 billion US dollars after the aluminium manufacturer raised 1.3 billion US dollars through an initial public offering earlier this year.

Err ... you mean 135i, 335i, 535i, 635i, 740i, etc. can suffer from HPFP failures?
    the 740i is an N54B (2nd gen) so maybe that's fixed. but yes, hpfp failure is prevalent on all 1st gen N54s

the 740i is an N54B (2nd gen) so maybe that's fixed. but yes, hpfp failure is prevalent on all 1st gen N54s
    So the 335? Is it first gen?

Hey Orange, can PM me the details of your purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by echotrain
    So the 335? Is it first gen?

Hey Orange, can PM me the details of your purchase?
    I think N54 manufactured from 2008 onwards are the 2nd generation ones.

Anyway, all N54 (3.0 Bi Turbo) in 35i (e.g. X5 xDrive35i, 535i, 335i, etc.) will be replaced by N55 (3.0 Single Turbo) soon, starting from the next-generation 535i.

N54 will only be available in 40i (e.g. 740i) by then.

I think that price paid for cars and homes should be pegged to one's total cash asset. What should be the proportion? Don't talk about salary cos that's future income.
    Total "cash asset" or total "net asset"?

What if a person's assets are mainly in properties and very little cash?

I think cars should not make up more than 5% of a person's networth. They are just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Smart move!

But PI cars don't have that label behind e.g. Cycle & Carriage or Performance Motors ... then people will know it's from PI. How?

Will Seven Palms record sail down as history soon?
    Let's watch.

The Sail @ Marina Bay, 3 hours ago
    a stack 3 unit was ... sold at $2699 psf in September ...
    ... slowly but surely crawing towards $3000 psf again
    The Sail @ Marina Bay, 45 minutes ago
    Oh my goodness!

The Sail resale has hit $2,699 psf in September?

Wow! Congratulations!
    Reporter is a bit slow this time ...

The Sail @ Marina #61-04 at 2, Marina Boulevard

Transacted on 18/09/2009

936 sf @ $2,850 psf for $2,667,600

Originally bought on 24/11/2004

936 sf @ $1,051 psf for $983,340

the 335i is small fry

check this out

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/d...SLS-2009-10-13

New car news

13 October 2009 - 10:00
    SLS: back in Black?

Now you've had a good long look at the Merc SLS - and if you haven't, may we humbly recommend the new issue of Top Gear magazine, which features an exclusive shoot with the gullwinged supercar - surely your thoughts are now turning to the Really Hot Version. The Black Series.

Having already created harder, faster, nastier versions of the SLK, CLK and the SL, the evil Dr Frankenblack will soon turn his scalpel to the SLS. The gullwinged Black Series is expected to arrive some time in 2011, and here's what it might look like in ready-to-race form.

This isn't, we should stress, an official Mercedes image, but instead a rendering from most excellent photographer-designer-chap and Friend of Top Gear, Sytse Djikstra.

Taking the SLS's block-nosed silhouette and adding a fat bodykit, side-exit exhausts and proper racing bits including a roll cage, massive rear wing and, er, lots of stickers, we reckon it looks mighty fine. What do you think?

And, just as importantly, what will it be powered by? The stock SLS, remember, sees Merc's 6.2-litre V8 putting out 571bhp, while the CLK Black Series gets the same engine in 530bhp form, which plainly won't do.

The SL Black Series gets a far more appropriate 6.0-litre twin-turbo V12 putting out around 670bhp, which still sounds just a little bit modest for the ultimate AMG.

What would you like to see under that long, long Black Series bonnet?
    Now watch Clarkson thrash the awesome CLK63 AMG Black:

//'); //]]>

i tot we were gonna stop going off topic hehe. mine's 2008 bought in 2009, new old stock, the PI was desperate. non DCT.

i have no idea whether it's the older or 'new' engine. omv is 50+k. echo what u wanna know?