Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: The Rochester (D5, 99 year leasehold, United Engineers)

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...35132,00.html?

Published May 28, 2009

UE and GuocoLand add green beauty

By MICHELLE YEO

(SINGAPORE) Green concerns have gone beyond consumers toting reusable shopping bags to developers putting up buildings that are kind on the environment.

Winner again: UE has clinched its third and fourth Gold award for The Rochester condominium, shopping mall and hotel development

Platinum winner: GuocoLand's Sophia Residence, a condominium coming up in the prime residential enclave of Mount Sophia in District 9

Two developers that have met the mark in this area are United Engineers Ltd (UE) and GuocoLand, with each clinching Green Mark awards given out by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).

Having bagged two BCA Green Mark awards since 2007, UE has clinched its third and fourth Gold award for The Rochester condominium (residential category) and Park Avenue Rochester Hotel and The Rochester Square Shopping Mall (commercial category). The condominium, shopping mall and hotel form a mixed development in One-North, South Buona Vista Road.

This is the first commercial project in One-North to win such an award and deploy a district cooling system. This cooling system distributes thermal energy in the form of chilled water or other media from a central source to multiple buildings, eliminating the need for separate systems in individual buildings.

Having a green building, however, does not necessarily translate to absolute cost savings in the short term, since facilities such as the district cooling system can cost quite a substantial amount.

Benefits of green buildings are long term, some of which can be rather intangible, says David Liew, managing director of UE Developments. 'A good and clear conscience goes beyond what money can buy.'

Other green features of The Rochester include energy-efficient air-conditioning and lighting, and a water-efficient sanitaryware system in compliance with WELLS (Water Efficiency Label System), a national rating system by BCA.

Another plus point is the use of recycled building materials. The project will have outdoor furniture made from recycled materials and concrete kerbs built from recycled concrete aggregate.

A sky garden on the condominium's ninth storey and vertical greenery from levels four to eight in the commercial buildings add a touch of beauty.

UE, which has a history dating back to 1912, has managed to keep pace with the times, tailoring its corporate philosophy to take account of the current green focus.

'As a corporate citizen, we have a social responsibility as most of our projects will definitely have a physical and environmental impact on our island-state,' said Mr Liew. 'As a company, where we have to be responsible to our customers, shareholders and employees, maintaining a portfolio of environmentally sustainable buildings has also increasingly demonstrated long-term asset value and investment merits,' he added.

UE has plans to put its next project up for the Green Mark award - the UE Biz Hub in Changi Business Park.

GuocoLand is another developer that has excelled in meeting environmental standards, clinching the Platinum Green Mark award for its residential project, Sophia Residence.

The condominium is coming up in the prime residential enclave of Mount Sophia in District 9. This is the group's third such award, and its second Platinum.

Homebuyers seem to be more aware about environmental sustainability these days, and GuocoLand has kept its clients satisfied.

Trina Loh, managing director of GuocoLand (Singapore), noted that Sophia Residence is one of the first Green Mark Platinum award projects assessed under the new and more stringent BCA Green Mark criteria. 'We are proud that Sophia Residence has excelled with its outstanding eco-friendly features and has exceeded some of the requirements.'

The innovative design process for the building façade also leads to a lower RETV (Residential Envelope Transmittance Value). This lessens the heat load and can achieve up to a 25 per cent reduction in electricity bills for air-conditioning.

An interesting feature of the condominium is its eco ponds and biofilter ponds. These ponds, which are part of the landscaping, will be fed by rainwater and ground water harvested from the development's roof terraces and infiltration trenches.

The ponds will then filter the water using oxygenating reeds and will be able to support diverse water plants and fish. The filtered water is collected in an irrigation tank and can be reused to irrigate the landscape.

The projected energy savings could come up to 3.8 million kWh a year - equivalent to S$728,000 in energy bills. Savings in potable water come up to 47,000 cubic metres a year, or up to S$115,000.

But beyond cash savings, the extensive green features will enhance the overall quality of life for the homeowners, said Ms Loh.

Default The Rochester revival

Is this a forgotten project after some good PSf rise at Metro & AS average 1100 to 1300psf.

I think this project would get more notice when it come near to TOP. last transacted is 900psf. It got all the potential like NUS, NTU branch, Biopolis, NUH, poly and at the fedge of D10. Most important Holland village.

Bigger retail stores within the stone throw distance MRT 200m away.

2X Primary school within 1KM.

LAst but not least Not much condo with 2KM radius other than D10 projects.

Anyone can comment. I am seriously looking for one unit there.

Quote Originally Posted by PropertiesHunter
    Is this a forgotten project after some good PSf rise at Metro & AS average 1100 to 1300psf.

I think this project would get more notice when it come near to TOP. last transacted is 900psf. It got all the potential like NUS, NTU branch, Biopolis, NUH, poly and at the fedge of D10. Most important Holland village.

theres Dover park view and Heritage View and One North

many owners bought at the peak in aug 07 at 1300psf and above so not sure if they are willing to sell to you cheap. 900psf is actually for 1 room lofts so the "actual" psf is higher as loft sq ft includes the imaginery 2nd floor area. not sure how to phrase it, any loft expert can do a better job explaining?

Quote Originally Posted by PropertiesHunter

hi, any idea what's prices at rochester now?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    many owners bought at the peak in aug 07 at 1300psf and above so not sure if they are willing to sell to you cheap. 900psf is actually for 1 room lofts so the "actual" psf is higher as loft sq ft includes the imaginery 2nd floor area. not sure how to phrase it, any loft expert can do a better job explaining?
    agree. loft units are recent phenomenons which are terrible in terms of space utilisation and psf calculation. The whole staircase and area under the stairwell are basically unlivable. One North lofts even worse, with large planter spaces.

At $9xx to $1k plus psf for a 99-year leasehold, one's money is better placed in getting a landed property along Mt Sinai. Same proximity to schools and Holland Village, with the land title and freehold status on top of it.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Sky001
    hi, any idea what's prices at rochester now?
    Here are the transactions for the last 4 months.

The Rochester
    Address ............................ psf .............. Area ......... Price ............ Contract Date
    33 Rochester Drive #23-09 .... $1,017 psf .... 1,701 sqft ... $1,730,000 .... 22 Oct 09
    33 Rochester Drive #34-02 .... $1,280 psf .... 1,948 sqft ... $2,493,000 .... 12 Oct 09
    33 Rochester Drive #21-06 .... $1,121 psf .... 1,302 sqft ... $1,460,000 ...... 5 Oct 09
    33 Rochester Drive #10-02 .... $1,200 psf .... 1,948 sqft ... $2,337,000 .... 17 Sep 09

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Alright! Last unit sold at $1,330 psf. Case closed.

Private Residential Units Sold in the Month of January 2010
    Project Name . Locality . Units Sold To Date . Units Sold In Month . Highest $psf . Median $psf . Lowest $psf
    The Rochester .. OCR ....... 366 ...................... 1 ............................ 1,330 ............ 1,330 ........... 1,330

wow..record high..wonder if buyer knows that #29-01, contract date 11 jan 2010, according to the edge was sold at $1160psf..

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    agree. loft units are recent phenomenons which are terrible in terms of space utilisation and psf calculation. The whole staircase and area under the stairwell are basically unlivable. One North lofts even worse, with large planter spaces.

At $9xx to $1k plus psf for a 99-year leasehold, one's money is better placed in getting a landed property along Mt Sinai. Same proximity to schools and Holland Village, with the land title and freehold status on top of it.
    you missed the point. the boom in properties is driven by Chinese (PRC) money. PRC nationals cannot buy landed properties. the market is bifurcated, with landed properties falling far behind non-landed condos. if you own condos, you can laugh all the way to the bank, but if you own landed, laugh all the way to the toilet. The issue is where is the demand coming from. As I said, it is from PRC nationals. My wife's friend is from China, and she (friend) alone grabbed three condos on one trip. Why? because, according to her, prices here are about the same as in Beijing and Shanghai. so, to these PRC nationals, there is no risk.

I bet those that bought rochester are chinese, PRC chinese, that is.

I c..tat's interesting..so I wonder if buying landed vs condo still make sense..am sure tat many still think there's a lot of capital appreciation potential in landed pty in this land scarce island..any view?

I will buy landed if it is freehold and best is have another property on rental. Leasehold landed very difficult to dispose off in time of need.

Default Rochester

Any update on Rochester TOP?

Default Bioplis

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    you missed the point. the boom in properties is driven by Chinese (PRC) money. PRC nationals cannot buy landed properties. the market is bifurcated, with landed properties falling far behind non-landed condos. if you own condos, you can laugh all the way to the bank, but if you own landed, laugh all the way to the toilet. The issue is where is the demand coming from. As I said, it is from PRC nationals. My wife's friend is from China, and she (friend) alone grabbed three condos on one trip. Why? because, according to her, prices here are about the same as in Beijing and Shanghai. so, to these PRC nationals, there is no risk.

I bet those that bought rochester are chinese, PRC chinese, that is.
    I have a friend just join Bioplis. Her colleagues are mostly Ph D. Their job title is scientists. So walking distance from office, 2 lines of train coming. And potentially some Huge Funds will also setup there.
    I can still remember when it was launched, I was so shocked when the pretty agent told me - all "small" units are sold out.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    I have a friend just join Bioplis. Her colleagues are mostly Ph D. Their job title is scientists. So walking distance from office, 2 lines of train coming. And potentially some Huge Funds will also setup there.
    I can still remember when it was launched, I was so shocked when the pretty agent told me - all "small" units are sold out.

Thanks,
    Richard
    i terms of living conditions i feel One North is better ..

i personally prefer quieter places .. and Rochestor is just too close to the main road ...

Default Open Space

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

i personally prefer quieter places .. and Rochestor is just too close to the main road ...
    Fully agreed One North is better. But last time I visited it, there was no walls. It is too open. That's why the grand floor loft took a long time to rent out - you are virtually sleeping on the street (stangers can knock your door).

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Fully agreed One North is better. But last time I visited it, there was no walls. It is too open. That's why the grand floor loft took a long time to rent out - you are virtually sleeping on the street (stangers can knock your door).

Thanks,
    Richard
    oh yes .. dont really like those ..
    i actually think the best block is the one just behind it .. where there are shops on the ground floor ..

if you are there..go across the road and try that indian restuarant ... very authentic food ..

and i love the play ground there .. especially the disc that reflect yuor voice ... kids love it .. i am an old kid

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

One North, no privacy at all, despite being a private condo estate. More like HDB blocks with no fences/walls. I prefer condo estate just beside roads, easy access. Too quiet I am not used to it (Yes, I am a seasoned city dwellers - I prefer to see people & cars walking/travelling along the road just nearby (and hear some humming sounds of cars than the strange sounds from the toads/frogs/unknown creatures!).
    Quiet places in Singapore means a narrow road into and have to walk very far away out to access public transport and amenities. Problem is these narrow roads always super jammed during rush hours (not my Ah-Gong's road for my personal use).

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

Default The Rochester (D5, 99 year leasehold, United Engineers)

This property was launched just before the global economic crisis in Jul 2007 and I think it is going to TOP just before the start of the next one in 2011. I wonder what will be the impact to the rental?

Default Asking Rentals at The Rochester_Various units available!

Current asking rentals at The Rochester...

1 Bedroom loft 840 – 1,281sqft From $3,800 – $5,000
    1 Bedroom 861 – 980sqft From $3,800 – $4,500
    2 Bedroom 1,206 – 1,625sqft From $4,800 – $6,500
    3 Bedroom + Study 1,701 – 2,121sqft From $6,800 – $8,000
    4 Bedroom Penthouse 2,271 – 5,210sqft From $1,0000 – $13,000

Units are available for both short and long term lease periods.

For more details, check out the following:

http://www.1nternational.com/content...-bedroom-units
    http://www.1nternational.com/content...-bedroom-units

www.1nternational.com

Default The Rochester_Project Details

An update!

Check this out for more details on The Rochester.

http://www.therochester.sg/index.html

Seems like PRO rental is the new "IN" thing

Seems like the 2 bedders all very big. Any 3 Bedders for 1300sqft?