Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Esta Vs. One Amber

mantrix, you are very powerful in english. I wish I can write like you.

you are confirmed esta supporter! big time supporter!!!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Even if the developer give you 20mm thick glass wall, they will still easy crack after 20 years or so in the hot and humid weather in Singapore, especially if the glass panel is bigger in size (Bigger glass panels crack more easily than smaller panels).
    Potential owners, be warned. Never never buy a property with lots of glass walls after 10 years old unless the seller replace all the glass walls first.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Glass crack? Wat a joker!

Maybe your cage is using 5mm thick glass, thats y you managed to escape!

teddybear you are a big time esta supporter too! You and mantrix are on the same side, but mantrix has more powerful english!

You don't know what is called "emulsion paint"? You condo so cheap skate use lousy paint that is why 2 years old look like 10 years old?

Cleaning of glass not expensive mah? Go try cleaning the big panel of glass walls outside your private property and see whether you can clean or not?
    Go get somebody to clean for you and see how much they charge?

Glass walls don't resemble the "gold-fish" tank that people go to view in Holland red-light district mah? Can see so clearly to check the "good" first.

Wait till you need to replace all the "glass walls" and you will know what is called expensive!

Wait till u move to a new building with lots of concrete, only 2 years old but look like 10 yrs old because of paint weathering especially on white painted concrete. What is more expensive to maintain and upkeep? Cleaning glass or repainting the concrete walls?

Too much concrete wouldn't resemble jail cell meh?

y dun say earthquake den glass shatter

Wah, your memory so good! You remind me of the tremor from earth quake in Indonesia previously was also felt in Cantonment and East Coast areas and they have vibrating buildings and shaking chandeliers. Think the tremor will also cause weakening of the big panel of glass (the bigger the glass panel, the easier it is crack at shorter life span), making it crack more easily and with shorter life span.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    y dun say earthquake den glass shatter

Quote Originally Posted by weez911
    mantrix, you are very powerful in english. I wish I can write like you.

you are confirmed esta supporter! big time supporter!!!
    Sorry Wee my last paragraph had plenty of missing words and spelling mistakes (cause i sent using my blackberry) so hope you were not being sarcastic.

I am not vested at all in district 15 - just offering my opinion that was all - was not expecting a barrage of defenses - anyway must reiterate to each his own lah

my case is closed and peace out - as long as you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Even if the developer give you 20mm thick glass wall, they will still easy crack after 20 years or so in the hot and humid weather in Singapore, especially if the glass panel is bigger in size (Bigger glass panels crack more easily than smaller panels).
    Potential owners, be warned. Never never buy a property with lots of glass walls after 10 years old unless the seller replace all the glass walls first.
    How about balcony with glass panels?
    I always doubt how safe and how lasting they can be.

You are right, they won't last. However, we don't depend on the balcony glass panels to shield us from the outside rain & shine like those glass panel wall. Imagine you have a shattered glass panel wall and you need to wait for your contractor to find get the panel fix for you and it takes 5 days? 5 days without "wall" and your kids moving around in the house 4 storey or more up in the sky? (where when they fall they have little chance of survival?)

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    How about balcony with glass panels?
    I always doubt how safe and how lasting they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    This is totally Bull Shit. So all the CBD white collars should wear safety helmet to work cos most of the buildings' external facades are made of glass and will crack anytime under heat and humid.

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    It's easy for concrete to look after painted - and repainting is usually 5 years.

Glass, once stained (yes, after some time they do stain internally, especially if they are think) is hard to restore.

True it is cheaper alternative to have glass, hence more condos have that nowadays. But they will contribute to greenhouse effect whether you like it or not.

Guess at end of day it's a matter of preference - I'll rather live more comfortably but suffer a less aesthetic facade as opposed to the converse.
    R u referring to HDB - repainting every 5 years? If you are talking abt private, your maintenance funds can hardly pay for the lift and pool maintenance!

Commercial buildings landlords have regular maintenance and checks and will replace these glass walls before they even have a chance to crack (as it is easier to pinpoint who to get the fine & not worth it for these landlords as commercial buildings get income which can in turn be used to fix the problem (such costs already in the rent)).
    On the other hand, Private condos once in MC hands tend to save & scrimp because no owners want to pay more for the benefits of just some owners only. You won't see the whole condo have a mass facade glass walls replacements.
    Individual owners will have to fork out the money for their own replacements when the time comes. On the other hand, buyers can either ask owners to replace or deduct the replacement costs from selling price. (Wah! Like that how to sell at a good price?)

This is totally Bull Shit. So all the CBD white collars should wear safety helmet to work cos most of the buildings' external facades are made of glass and will crack anytime under heat and humid.

Mostly glass facade wall don't need to paint? Still have some areas that need painting (on top of the cleaning of the outside of the glass facade walls). Wonder how long those condos with mostly glass facade walls do the cleaning of glass walls? 5-7 years once as well on top of painting? Wah! Additional costs! Will see these condos have maintenance fund increasing even more otherwise cannot even have extra money to maintain pool and lifts! Furthermore, not to say wait for 5-7 years to clean the glass facade walls, even 1 month also will be dirty like hell when you see from inside!
    Oh by the way, for commercial & office buildings, I always see them cleaning the outside glass facade walls at least once every 6 months. Can condos do that?

R u referring to HDB - repainting every 5 years? If you are talking abt private, your maintenance funds can hardly pay for the lift and pool maintenance!

Actually, i do not thinkg there is a lot more glass used than normal for One Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by urban
    Actually, i do not thinkg there is a lot more glass used than normal for One Amber.
    You must be kidding. it's obvious the condo is substantially glass. I think if you get pics of condos that went TOP since 2000, you would clearly see how condos in Singapore transformed. I complained about The Esta having too much glass, One Amber has more glass than The Esta. All the bathrooms are see-through glass! I would make a lot of money if I could do bulk supply of blinds to One Amber owners.

den u go do curtain biz lor...gd $

Quote Originally Posted by Miow
    You must be kidding. it's obvious the condo is substantially glass. I think if you get pics of condos that went TOP since 2000, you would clearly see how condos in Singapore transformed. I complained about The Esta having too much glass, One Amber has more glass than The Esta. All the bathrooms are see-through glass! I would make a lot of money if I could do bulk supply of blinds to One Amber owners.
    I see you have used a 10-year horizon.
    The old Amber Gardens were built using a lot more concrete.

might as well compare to HDB

might as well compare to HDB
    Interesting. I was just at Duxton over the weekend and thought that the walls in the bedrooms would have been made full height windows (instead of concrete walls) if the place was an apart/condo.

Just wondering, don't these new developments that have glass facade also have those external gondolas that can be lowered from the roof for cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by acewee
    Just wondering, don't these new developments that have glass facade also have those external gondolas that can be lowered from the roof for cleaning?
    i suppose it depends on individual condo mgmt?

usually they will employ pro-cleaners to do the job every 2yrs or so...and they will clean ur windows as well.. for boutique apts...dun hf for sure...

anw, last time condo mgmt will only start collecting sinking fund after 3yrs...nowadays collect after 1yr

If you look at the different generation of private condos/apartments, glass facade has been becoming more popular. it has its pros and cons which some of you here have mentioned. HDB is still going for concrete because they have the volume and precast is faster and more economic for them. Architect has used a lot more glass now as people prefers good view and the small units will look bigger with glass than with concrete, brick or block walls. The only problem glass facade should be used at the right place and right type of glass should be chosen. Otherwise, consumers like ourselves will suffer in the long run. Design and build right should be the strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    If you look at the different generation of private condos/apartments, glass facade has been becoming more popular. it has its pros and cons which some of you here have mentioned. HDB is still going for concrete because they have the volume and precast is faster and more economic for them. Architect has used a lot more glass now as people prefers good view and the small units will look bigger with glass than with concrete, brick or block walls. The only problem glass facade should be used at the right place and right type of glass should be chosen. Otherwise, consumers like ourselves will suffer in the long run. Design and build right should be the strategy.
    Developers are only interested in making more profits. If glass is cheaper, that's what they use, even in wrong places! You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.

Developers are only interested in making more profits. If glass is cheaper, that's what they use, even in wrong places! You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.
    Once I went to my friend's condo and saw the silhouette of the person behind the blinds and could see through the gap between the edge of two blinds. So, spend more money on the blinds and get a real good one. The bathroom is like a translucent light bulb at night.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Once I went to my friend's condo and saw the silhouette of the person behind the blinds and could see through the gap between the edge of two blinds. So, spend more money on the blinds and get a real good one. The bathroom is like a translucent light bulb at night.
    Is it possible to darken the bathroom windows totally using window films?

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Is it possible to darken the bathroom windows totally using window films?
    best is to frost it and put roller blinds if u really scare ppl see ur wifey bathing..

i suppose it depends on individual condo mgmt?

usually they will employ pro-cleaners to do the job every 2yrs or so...and they will clean ur windows as well.. for boutique apts...dun hf for sure...

anw, last time condo mgmt will only start collecting sinking fund after 3yrs...nowadays collect after 1yr

That's exactly what happened at The Esta. One year after TOP, the condo mgmt proposed a sinking fund starting with a 70% hike in monthly maintenance fees! Needless to say, it was rejected by the condo owners.

The problem is that this can be rejected, and then the condo will fall into dis-repair because of insufficient funds for maintaining the estate in clean and nice condition.

That's exactly what happened at The Esta. One year after TOP, the condo mgmt proposed a sinking fund starting with a 70% hike in monthly maintenance fees! Needless to say, it was rejected by the condo owners.

70% hike too much la

my experience is always 50-100 buck increase only...

You think the developer of One Amber didn't realise it was stupid to use full-length clear glass for bathroom walls? Of course they knew.
    really ? they use *clear* glass ?

hmmm this is Mr Wee's UOL right .... ?