Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MRT in D16 *Eastern Region Line (ERL)

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Today I heard again that the Siglap station is going to be opposite Siglap Centre beside Axis@Siglap where the few blocks of old HDB one-roomers currently are. This is the 4th or 5th time I've heard this from different and unrelated sources.

This goes against the current speculation that the ERL is going to run its track along the Marine Parade Road all the way into Bayshore area, soil testing done in the last few months supports this possibilty.

Anybody heard the same as well? ie. Siglap Stn just opposite Siglap Ctr. instead of along Marine Parade.
    highly unlikely. no land there. unless they tear down the flats. roads will be diverted for MRT works. and there is no way to divert east coast road and upper east coast road unless they acquire the shophouses etc.

along marine parade is most probable.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I think most likely will be near to VS, to support the beach goers as well
    and the big condo like MG, LV, LP..and the school
    I will subscribe to this. There is not much real estate in Siglap to have a station. Perhaps a entrance/exit near The Domain building.

Quote Originally Posted by levittdub
    I will subscribe to this. There is not much real estate in Siglap to have a station. Perhaps a entrance/exit near The Domain building.
    Agree too. Just that this rumour is too persistent for me to ignore.

The speculation is the old flats are going to be torn down and in its place an underground MRT station and maybe some sort of retail outlet over it.

But it seems I'm the only one in this forum that has heard such a rumour. I guess we'll have to wait for a while more before we find out.

Agree too. Just that this rumour is too persistent for me to ignore.

The speculation is the old flats are going to be torn down and in its place an underground MRT station and maybe some sort of retail outlet over it.

But it seems I'm the only one in this forum that has heard such a rumour. I guess we'll have to wait for a while more before we find out.

I heard it from agents.. I am not surprise if the flats need to make way as it could be part of east coast revamp. But mrt should run along marine parade for residents and beach goers...

Anybody have any idea what is happening to Siglap Court?

Quote Originally Posted by latour
    Anybody have any idea what is happening to Siglap Court?
    Ya hor... it's been quite a while since enbloc...

Whatever development that is going to come up here is going to have a nice address, 8 Siglap Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    I heard it from agents.. I am not surprise if the flats need to make way as it could be part of east coast revamp. But mrt should run along marine parade for residents and beach goers...
    it will make way eventually, but i dont see it being SERS for ERL.

Also, Siglap doesn't really require a new mall per se. Siglap V, being a mixed development, will be bringing some shop space. FEO should just revamp the aging Siglap Centre.

it will make way eventually, but i dont see it being SERS for ERL.

Also, Siglap doesn't really require a new mall per se. Siglap V, being a mixed development, will be bringing some shop space. FEO should just revamp the aging Siglap Centre.
    You are right. Siglap Centre serves mainly the Siglap/East Coast neighbourhood. I doubt it can ever be a major shopping centre bcoz of Parkway Parade's proximity. One "problem" for the area is parking, therefore many patrons are living just close by and walk to Siglap Centre.

As it is, Siglap Centre serves the neighbourhood more than adequately. I think much of its future development would depend on what becomes of the old flats and where the ERL entrance is going to be.

The whole area is pretty dynamic and has a good vibe, not too hectic and not too laidback. Good mix of foodjoints from low to midrange, banks, fast food.... etc. for supermarkets there is a choice of NTUC and Cold Storage.... ERL would be a cherry on top.

this dude got his own dream....

http://sgforums.com/forums/2080/topics/418138

I don't see what's wrong with it??

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    this dude got his own dream....

Its fantastic to see people with so much interest in MRT trains for the sake it. Just look at the number of pages on Singapore Trains. I didn't know there is so much to talk about wrt MRT....

tks for sharing the link.

Their necks are as long as the giraffe as there are so much speculation on the station of ERL. May have to defer this line after learning today from the ST that cost of DTL have far exceeded the estimated budget.

Its fantastic to see people with so much interest in MRT trains for the sake it. Just look at the number of pages on Singapore Trains. I didn't know there is so much to talk about wrt MRT....

its just like when u go to those oil producing country if ur house on top of oil field u make it rich in sillypore mrt station built near ur hse u make it rich ha ha

Previously I thought that the big piece of land now occupied by VS would be the station on top of which would be a large mall/condo project. Remember VS was built just a few years ago. If a station would be there, the land for VS would have been reserved for better use.

My guess is that the track will run along Marine Parade Road. When it gets close to Mandarin Gardens, it will turn towards Upper East Coast Road. Notice that alongside that road there is an empty land, which might have been reserved for building the ERL. There could be an exit near MG/VS/Villa Marina, while the main station could be opposite Siglap Centre, or it could be at the car park near the patrol station. As far as I know, only those are the lands large enough for an MRT station.

One agent at The Shore told me the government did not allow a baseent to be built there, "as something will happen below it and there likely will be an MRT exit nearby". Notice that Axis has no basement, while Siglap-V has. Is there any significance to that?

I heard that the 10-year plan will be out by the end of this year. The details of ERL could be clearer by that time.

Quote Originally Posted by wnt
    Previously I thought that the big piece of land now occupied by VS would be the station on top of which would be a large mall/condo project. Remember VS was built just a few years ago. If a station would be there, the land for VS would have been reserved for better use.

My guess is that the track will run along Marine Parade Road. When it gets close to Mandarin Gardens, it will turn towards Upper East Coast Road. Notice that alongside that road there is an empty land, which might have been reserved for building the ERL. There could be an exit near MG/VS/Villa Marina, while the main station could be opposite Siglap Centre, or it could be at the car park near the patrol station. As far as I know, only those are the lands large enough for an MRT station.

One agent at The Shore told me the government did not allow a baseent to be built there, "as something will happen below it and there likely will be an MRT exit nearby". Notice that Axis has no basement, while Siglap-V has. Is there any significance to that?

I heard that the 10-year plan will be out by the end of this year. The details of ERL could be clearer by that time.

Thanks for sharing. This is similar to what I have heard as well.

However it seems most forummers here think otherwise. One problem with this alignment is that it means the Bayshore cluster of condos are bypassed

That is why FEO is selling only 103 years for the Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Joke lah. FEO did that to own the land forever.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

FEO seems to have bought up the entire area. Whichever the exit is going to be, it is going to be near an FEO project!

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    FEO seems to have bought up the entire area. Whichever the exit is going to be, it is going to be near an FEO project!
    The big piece of land beside the DBS finance centre that has been left vacant since memory exists is said to be owned by FEO. So they have been waiting all these years for the ERL to make a killing out of it!

Thanks for sharing. This is similar to what I have heard as well.

However it seems most forummers here think otherwise. One problem with this alignment is that it means the Bayshore cluster of condos are bypassed
    This is only my speculation. Even if the track runs along Upper East Coast Road, there could still be a station near bayshore, though not right at the foot of Bayshore or Bayshore Park.

Is there a sufficient large piece of empty land within the Bayshore cluster for the future station? Since this is reclaimed land and those condos were built relatively recently, the government would have made that provision if they planned for one station there.

This is only my speculation. Even if the track runs along Upper East Coast Road, there could still be a station near bayshore, though not right at the foot of Bayshore or Bayshore Park.

Is there a sufficient large piece of empty land within the Bayshore cluster for the future station? Since this is reclaimed land and those condos were built relatively recently, the government would have made that provision if they planned for one station there.
    As the stations will be mainly underground, they only need to cater space for the exits/entrances which is not a lot. The main thing is whether the soil is suitable for a station (as you have correctly mentioned) since the area is all reclaimed land.

By the way you mentioned earlier that you spoke to the agent at The Shore by FEO, did you mean The Sound instead?

"From Today: The new rail lines under the masterplan include the Thomson Line and the Eastern Region Line. Mr Lui said that the Thomson Line alignment is "almost done", but the Eastern Region Line is proving "more challenging" and "needs to be look at more carefully".

Does that mean that the alignment for ERL may be significantly changed? I think previous discussion have been concentrated on the difference in capacity requirements which does not justify combining the TSL. Possibly LTA is looking at this issue as well, and may be looking at running the line through more populated areas with a higher concentration of mass market homes. Another possibility is that there may be difficulties running the line along Marine Parade and Upper East Coast Road because of the ground conditions at the boundary between the former shoreline and the reclaimed area, much like the situation at the former Nicoll Highway Station. "

Will it disappoint investors cum owners in east coast area?
    "From Today: The new rail lines under the masterplan include the Thomson Line and the Eastern Region Line. Mr Lui said that the Thomson Line alignment is "almost done", but the Eastern Region Line is proving "more challenging" and "needs to be look at more carefully".

Does that mean that the alignment for ERL may be significantly changed? I think previous discussion have been concentrated on the difference in capacity requirements which does not justify combining the TSL. Possibly LTA is looking at this issue as well, and may be looking at running the line through more populated areas with a higher concentration of mass market homes. Another possibility is that there may be difficulties running the line along Marine Parade and Upper East Coast Road because of the ground conditions at the boundary between the former shoreline and the reclaimed area, much like the situation at the former Nicoll Highway Station. "

Will it disappoint investors cum owners in east coast area?
    The way I read it, the ERL is still going to be built but the alignment of the track may be unexpected due to the challenges. So some investors will be dissappointed but some will be delighted.... guess we'll have to wait a while more to find out.

Directly across Axis@Siglap, The Domain (POSB) has underground parking. On the other side of Axis there is also a canal before the old HDB one-roomers, would there be any engineering difficulties for the line to run below?

East coast does not belong just to the people living there. What about the rest of the Singaporeans like us living elsewhere who want to go to east coast for recreation, shopping and enjoy the beach activities, cafes, etc? The MRT station is a public transport and should bring convenience to the people at large rather than just to serve the numerous small condos around. It will be weird for us to take the MRT to an odd location and then walk a long way to siglap or the town centre of Marine Parade or even Parkway.

They will have it. The only difference is either walking distance or have to take a bus.
    The way I read it, the ERL is still going to be built but the alignment of the track may be unexpected due to the challenges. So some investors will be dissappointed but some will be delighted.... guess we'll have to wait a while more to find out.

"
    I had a good laugh at this statement. The most challenging portion of the entire Sg MRT network is the City Hall and Raffles Place.

If u look into the background of Mr Lui, he was the CEO of HDB, he shall also take the responsibility in the undersupply of HDB flats. Next, he was at MCYS, nothing major from him.

So ERL will the first major decision in his political life, of course, now he has to say, challenging and more carefully, in order to justify his million dollars pay cheque and claim the credit.

If so many condo can be built along the eastern coastal line, all the Marine Parade HDB flats on reclaimed land, then what is it so challenging...the marina financial centre is also on reclaimed land as well...

Mistake taken by the government in regards to the train lines is that some stations are too far apart.

For instance, Raffles place and Tanjong Pagar. Hope they don't mess it up over in the ERL.

Maybe they should just build the line along ECP can liaoz haa haa.