Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...
    I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon [/quote]

Chastity belt with remote lock via SMS in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon
    [/QUOTE]

ahahahahaha.... POWER!

ahahahahaha.... POWER![/quote]

wow...what a device, how to pee and shit like that..torture leh... wait your daughter go to court n sue you for ill treatment using device not approved by PSB...ha ha

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

The problem is: If you don't live within 1 km of the school and you are not old boys/girls, you get absolutely 0 chance!
    If you live within 1km of the school, you still get balloting chance!
    When it comes to good primary schools, lower Bukit Timah area (nearer Newton side) is the "king" area where many good schools congregates! (at least better chance as can still switch as the registration data comes in).

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    I like this topic

how come you never watched the stats in the P1 registration just passed ? Go to that kiasu parent web site. tons of infos.

I assumed you already understand the Phase 2b/2c thing. (2b for parent volunteer/affiliated/clan/church/grassroots/etc, 2c for "public" so to speak).

now bad news: for most top schools, within 1km doesn't guarantee you anything. Most of them need to ballot within 1km, even under 2b. So even you do parent volunteer it doesn't guarantee u anything. And btw, for PV, you need to register 1y in advance. And you need to have special skills for the school to consider you. NYPS have, every year, more than 200 applicants for PV. And they only pick SOME to interview. Imagine ppl living just 5in front of the school, with the mother directing traffic for the school for a year, is not guaranteed a place !

some examples for this year, Catholic High/Ai Tong: within 1km ballot ratio 4 to 1, NYPS 3 to 1.

For the less "hot" ones, within 1km ballot with more than 80% chances you have, (gfoo this is for you) MGS, RGPS, SCGS, Nanhua, etc.

This year Henry Park within 1km no ballot. Very lucky.

But do not expect it to be the same for your year. 1stly, parents have mastered the skill of obtaining an address within 1km. (for example, walk around NYPS: all big bungalows. How can it have hundreds of applicants EVERY YEAR within 1km ? trust me, ppl have ways to get it.) 2nd MOE is going to get all schools to do single session by 2013. That means it will reduce class intake for those big schools (e.g. NYPS!), so more will have balloting.

Every year, come P1 registration, lots of emotions fly. BE PREPARED!

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.

dun anyhow "clementi" hor...pple living D10 "clementi" will get offended one when u say henry park clementi! nan hua is in clementi but pei hwa is upper bukit timah D21. MGS is better but balloting is also more fierce (what more when cascadia, flordian and jardin are fully filled up in a few years time!).

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    U guys are simply fantastic! Amk, your in-depth analysis of the P1 registration process is amazing I believe u must have gone through the process for your child already?

Our kid will most probably go back to my Alma mater, nyps. But we haven't quite made up our minds yet. But I totally agree with what some of the forummers shared here- don't aim for those schools with clan or church affiliations. The competition is really tough. Such schools will include nan chiau, kong Hwa, Tao nan, and all the church linked ones.

If you don't mind clementi, there is pei Hwa over there. Or Henry park is also not bad.

Gfoo, comgrats on the arrival of your baby girl! How old is she? MGS is pretty good, compared to SCGS.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    dun anyhow "clementi" hor...pple living D10 "clementi" will get offended one when u say henry park clementi! nan hua is in clementi but pei hwa is upper bukit timah D21. MGS is better but balloting is also more fierce (what more when cascadia, flordian and jardin are fully filled up in a few years time!).

is Home school allowed in singapore ?

I see it as equally worrisome.

But again, part of it depend on the brought up and the "quality" of parenting. By saying "trust me" on your post, I see that you must be damm worry about your daughter, it you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...[/quote]

Your post is distasteful.

I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon
    [/quote]

Oh yes, sure, and so are a registrar for sperm ID.

ahahahahaha.... POWER![/quote]

Did you, focus, gfoo & peterng8 on some sort of chastity belt development committee? If so, why not fix it on your own daughter then?

Remember to get it clear by PSB which perhap require some trial test.

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    ahahahahaha.... POWER!
    wow...what a device, how to pee and shit like that..torture leh... wait your daughter go to court n sue you for ill treatment using device not approved by PSB...ha ha[/quote]

yes, its allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    is Home school allowed in singapore ?

Quote Originally Posted by apple3
    Did you, focus, gfoo & peterng8 on some sort of chastity belt development committee? If so, why not fix it on your own daughter then?

Remember to get it clear by PSB which perhap require some trial test.
    Apologies. Will put on a male chastity belt as punishment for myself.

Ok ok .. really sorry... I shouldn't have posted anything that demeans female since I came out from one too.

Apologies. Will put on a male chastity belt as punishment for myself.

Ok ok .. really sorry... I shouldn't have posted anything that demeans female since I came out from one too.

dont any how wear, got approved by relevant authority or not? wait got safety issue and get yourself "injured"...nobody asks you to punish yourself by wearing this ma..he he ,

i mentioned this because the device you mentioned actually came out in the newspaper before quite some time agao and has undergone various tests in US... you know in US, unwanted pregnancy is on the rise and with
    reports on how singaporean teenagers behave nowadays...it is worrying..

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list

• Within 1km to good school
    • Freehold Full condo facility
    • Near MRT preferred and within 5 minutes walk.
    • Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
    • Prefer central areas, Bt Timah or D11
    • Min 2 bedder with liveable size of 1000 sq ft. 3Bed would be ideal.
    • For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp)
    BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

How to improve the chance?

How much building fund donation needed to improve the chance?
    seriously, to get FH at 1mio nowadays in Bk Timah/D11 somemore is difficult.

And even if you near these area the chance of getting into those good primary school is difficult too, because alot of other "rich" parents can rent/buy within 1km to compete with you.

I have friends who stay 1-2km within good schools e.g. MGS, NYPS and Maris Stella but all failed the balloting (this year!)

So if really want to improve the chance of getting in you better do parent volunteer, grassroot leaders, etc

Thanks thanks! Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards. And I'd rather not have a rafflesian in the family.

I'm extremely early, but i reckon better start scouting now so that i can grab projects i want when blood starts running in the streets. Between now and primary school, i guess i have only 1 cycle to take advantage of.

Unless of course they announce a Marina Bay Primary but that will not come online till Marina South Residential District is developed, and that's at least 5-7years away.
    you sure want to put yr girl in a new school called Marina Bay PRimary?

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    bo pian si bo pian mah

If you don't stay near, even if you are PV also useless because still need to ballot under 2B and if you are not within 1km you are OUT...ch!

And even if you near these area the chance of getting into those good primary school is difficult too, because alot of other "rich" parents can rent/buy within 1km to compete with you.

I have friends who stay 1-2km within good schools e.g. MGS, NYPS and Maris Stella but all failed the balloting (this year!)

So if really want to improve the chance of getting in you better do parent volunteer, grassroot leaders, etc

*sigh* isn't it scary....your primary school can be for generation if good school else the next generation got to work super hard when they are parent themselves.

Agreed. My gf told me quite a few doctors she knows RENT around the area to live in there for the sake of the children.

Wa.. MarinaBay Primary.. sounds prestigious already..

Agreed. My gf told me quite a few doctors she knows RENT around the area to live in there for the sake of the children.
    Can just rent? sheesh i'd rather do that.....

Just in case.

Any gurus here can recommend a nice development, around SCGS, and relatively flood proof?

Can rent, but first check with MOE regarding the criteria and restrictions. As far as I know, there are checks conducted, and you need to stay within the vicinity for the period your child is in the primary school. (You can shift, but still in the vicinity).

Can just rent? sheesh i'd rather do that.....

Just in case.

Any gurus here can recommend a nice development, around SCGS, and relatively flood proof?

Oops, my mistake. Obviously I know more about properties than about schools. But kiasuparents.com is really a treasure trove where P1 registration is concerned. Anyone seriously keen to find out more should check that site out.

I mixed up Pei Hwa with Nan Hua. Really thanks for pointing it out.

any website tells you which primary school has student care as well?

no need so serious until the whole 6 year period. i think 1st 2 years or even less is sufficient. for e.g. someone rent in bukit timah, then lost job, of course have to downgrade elsewhere mah, how can school kick child out becoz of that?! but u're right. check with MOE. checks are conducted so at least must really stay there for the whole tenancy period.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Can rent, but first check with MOE regarding the criteria and restrictions. As far as I know, there are checks conducted, and you need to stay within the vicinity for the period your child is in the primary school. (You can shift, but still in the vicinity).

dun so modest leh, "hidden dragon".

but seriously, i see all the red balloting, get a headache already. truly KIASU! i really think we should not buy properties solely because of wanting to be within 1km of top school coz still gotta ballot (as some pointed out, even after being volunteer AND 1km, still ballot!) really heartbreak if after all that still can't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    Oops, my mistake. Obviously I know more about properties than about schools. But kiasuparents.com is really a treasure trove where P1 registration is concerned. Anyone seriously keen to find out more should check that site out.

I mixed up Pei Hwa with Nan Hua. Really thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks! MGS unfortunately benefits zilch from it's boys school affiliate. So i guess i'm stuck with SC
    Consider RGPS, they have a very transparent PV system. And I have not heard PVs needing to ballot cos they take PVs carefully.

Look at shelford area, PV RGPS. Next time seep, can also sell to those at NYPS.

SCGS don't usually take PVs consistently unless u have a very very unique skill set. And 1km also need ballot. So too dangerous.

PS I own no property in shelford...

All students live in MBR and TS? After school hang out at MBS...

before this year, RGPS never needed to ballot for those within 1km. but that has changed this year...sigh...but u r right, PV should still ensure a place without balloting.

Quote Originally Posted by echotrain
    Consider RGPS, they have a very transparent PV system. And I have not heard PVs needing to ballot cos they take PVs carefully.

Look at shelford area, PV RGPS. Next time seep, can also sell to those at NYPS.

SCGS don't usually take PVs consistently unless u have a very very unique skill set. And 1km also need ballot. So too dangerous.

PS I own no property in shelford...

There are many issues with PVs:
    1) It is a scheme that unfairly penalizes those with no time and/or no money and/or no connection (through GR, PA, church affiliations etc) to get in.
    2) If they want to have PVs, then make sure all PVs can get in without balloting.
    3) All other affiliations related to churches, old boys/girls should be abolished to ensure (2). In fact, distance to schools should be given higher priority than all those affiliations for the fact that nowsadays kids have to wake up before 5.45am and take school bus latest 6.20am. They really should have more sleep! The policy should ensures that parents send their kids to schools nearby and not half-way round the island and having to wake up before 5.45am and then rush to catch the bus at 6.20am! (Not to mention school knock off at 1pm and reach home 2.30pm for lunch! - Really unhealthy life-style and bad for their gastrics!).

before this year, RGPS never needed to ballot for those within 1km. but that has changed this year...sigh...but u r right, PV should still ensure a place without balloting.