Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    There are many issues with PVs:
    1) It is a scheme that unfairly penalizes those with no time and/or no money and/or no connection (through GR, PA, church affiliations etc) to get in.
    2) If they want to have PVs, then make sure all PVs can get in without balloting.
    3) All other affiliations related to churches, old boys/girls should be abolished to ensure (2). In fact, distance to schools should be given higher priority than all those affiliations for the fact that nowsadays kids have to wake up before 5.45am and take school bus latest 6.20am. They really should have more sleep! The policy should ensures that parents send their kids to schools nearby and not half-way round the island and having to wake up before 5.45am and then rush to catch the bus at 6.20am! (Not to mention school knock off at 1pm and reach home 2.30pm for lunch! - Really unhealthy life-style and bad for their gastrics!).
    agree...
    PV can be accepted but need to go thru balloting for certain nos of PV that will have confirm places

Quote Originally Posted by dmonddd
    agree...
    PV can be accepted but need to go thru balloting for certain nos of PV that will have confirm places
    Good school does not equate good academics.. Good school will assist those kids with good potentials and inhibit those without the potential.

Nurture ..Develop ...Train.. Imbue a good sense of learning & sense of wonder in self-exploratory .. build up a healthy mind in a child to learn when they are young.. Any neighbourhood school will do.....

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    Good school does not equate good academics.. Good school will assist those kids with good potentials and inhibit those without the potential.

Nurture ..Develop ...Train.. Imbue a good sense of learning & sense of wonder in self-exploratory .. build up a healthy mind in a child to learn when they are young.. Any neighbourhood school will do.....
    Not all schools, but more schools will do.

lol.... cute

can't agree. there are students from top primary schools like raffles and henry park but most have lousy attitudes and end up going to neighbourhood sec schools after PSLE. On the other hand I have students from neighbourhood schools who end up in River Valley high after PSLE just becoz they have positive attitudes to learning. i know parents who fight tooth and nail to get their kids in top primary schools thru GRC connections to later find their kids ending up in lousy secondary schools. The funniest thing is some parents I know want to send their kids to a top primary school just to network with well-to-do parents, which to me is the wrong priority.

I mean i can't agree more.

street smart is more impt den academic smart....

gd pri schools produce kiasu nerds

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

you should Ask the ministers which didn't come from the branded sch, those are really street smart ones to get in there among the others.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    street smart is more impt den academ
    ic smart....

is there such a thing as branded schools?

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    is there such a thing as branded schools?

soon

on sentosa

Versace Primary School of Fashion

you should Ask the ministers which didn't come from the branded sch, those are really street smart ones to get in there among the others.
    err...u wud love to lead minister's life?

According to what I heard from the ground, many regarded these as the best "employee" jobs in Singapore now (other than being owners of the big companies).
    That is the reason why many parents are trying to squeeze their kids into these branded schools.

err...u wud love to lead minister's life?

According to what I heard from the ground, many regarded these as the best "employee" jobs in Singapore now (other than being owners of the big companies).
    That is the reason why many parents are trying to squeeze their kids into these branded schools.
    restricted life wor....

Where got restricted? You don't know only.
    Heard the most coveted branded schools are those like SJI, ACS, RI, RGS, ...

restricted life wor....

den how come u noe so much?

den how come u noe so much?

u from 'branded skool'?

out of those if there's any 'branded' school, there's only one.

even at those popular schools? If yes, I dont mind doing it for my son...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    actually to guarantee surefire, just live within 1km and volunteer in RC/CC and your MP will make sure you get a place...lol

Anyone can confirm is signature park within 1km to Pei Hwa?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    Pei Hwa is a good school but not a top school, quite good and with a consistent track record already.

donations may not work since singaporeans are now cash rich. schools like nanyang, even stay 1km, volunteer liao, still need to ballot sometimes. even Jim Rogers couldn't buy his daughter a spot in nanyang, still go and do volunteer.

that is why generally it is better to give the kid a chance to be in a good school to assist them to inhibit those good potentials. It gives them a good start in life. Some parents will say that its all depend on the kids ability/EQ etc. However, kids in so call good school are generally

1. nature by a trial and tested system with proven success rate.
    2. have committed teachers who are able to engage with kids and deliver the school materials.
    3. better teaching methods

In addition parents who bother to take so much efforts and pains to send their kids to a better school are concern about their kids education and want the best for the kids. I believe it is good to be associated with this group of parents having the same goal.

So if our kids are not so bright at least it can be compensated with a better environment, positive influence and we have tried to provide the best within our ability.

street smart is more impt den academic smart....

street smart can be taught by parents. I do agree that gd pri schools student has Attitude problem and this pose a challenge to the parents!

confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    Anyone can confirm is signature park within 1km to Pei Hwa?

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    that is why generally it is better to give the kid a chance to be in a good school to assist them to inhibit those good potentials. It gives them a good start in life. Some parents will say that its all depend on the kids ability/EQ etc. However, kids in so call good school are generally

1. nature by a trial and tested system with proven success rate.
    2. have committed teachers who are able to engage with kids and deliver the school materials.
    3. better teaching methods

In addition parents who bother to take so much efforts and pains to send their kids to a better school are concern about their kids education and want the best for the kids. I believe it is good to be associated with this group of parents having the same goal.

So if our kids are not so bright at least it can be compensated with a better environment, positive influence and we have tried to provide the best within our ability.
    If possible, it will be good to send our kids to good primary schools to give them a good foundation, same as harvesting if you want a good fruit you try to give the best fertilizer etc and hope they will grow to be good. Along the way if the fruit kena "bite" by locusts, insects, etc turned rotten then LL lah

I agree.

At Primary School - as parents you still have control/influence. Use it.
    PLSE more about drilling and practice. Not so much abt elite schools.
    Secondary School - teenagers need a different approach. A good school here helps keep the 'fruit' in better condition unless kena the rich/lazy/snobbish/elite/ tsetse fly who can make your promising/hardworking kid into a sleepy head.

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    If possible, it will be good to send our kids to good primary schools to give them a good foundation, same as harvesting if you want a good fruit you try to give the best fertilizer etc and hope they will grow to be good. Along the way if the fruit kena "bite" by locusts, insects, etc turned rotten then LL lah

i find that junior employees from the good english-centric schools tend to have shorter learning curves and generally outperform those from neighbourhood schools, at least in my corporate world. there are exceptions once in a while for the street smart ones. there is however a glass-ceiling for those from chinese SAP schools - can't think spatially, a little one track.

2 words - book-muncher.
    Why do they behave so? Because they have tests on every week and weeks after weeks! (used to be like that, it is still so now?).

i find that junior employees from the good english-centric schools tend to have shorter learning curves and generally outperform those from neighbourhood schools, at least in my corporate world. there are exceptions once in a while for the street smart ones. there is however a glass-ceiling for those from chinese SAP schools - can't think spatially, a little one track.

u sure u not opining thru tinted glasses?

lol.... cute
    It is a fact of life...
    Last edited by alamak; 13-09-10 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    u sure u not opining thru tinted glasses?
    of course rose tinted lah - even contracts flow much more freely amongst old boys, be it local schools or overseas