Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    2 words - book-muncher.
    Why do they behave so? Because they have tests on every week and weeks after weeks! (used to be like that, it is still so now?).
    it is good to be a book mucher at their early age. It takes Alot of discipline and self control. Well when they turn 18 or 21 they can do whatever they like and parents should be ready to be their adviser rather than a disciplinarian.

I will say to my kids in pri sch - " pls cross the road only when u see the green man flashing and follow mummy or aunties."

However when they are in secondary sch - "pls don't be stupid cross when there is no car, see left and see right first before crossing and don't get knock down. And cross at risk of getting fines and photo by someone who submitting to stomp for the tiny rewards and cheap trill at yr expense!"

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Nan Chiau to become SAP school!
    What happened to St Nicholas Girls after moving to Ang Mo Kio hah? It seems that the quality has deteriorated. It used to vire with RGS as the top number 1 school in Singapore but somehow it has slipped down.

------------------------------------------------
    Title : Nan Chiau High set to become SAP school
    By : Ng Jing Yng, TODAY Date : 18 Jul 2011 0634 hrs (GMT + 8hrs)

SINGAPORE: As Nan Chiau High gears up to become the 11th school under the Special Assistance Plan (SAP) next year, its principal Tan Yee Kan is keen to ensure that under the revamped curriculum, its students will be exposed to the various cultures and segments of society.As a SAP school, Nan Chiau will be returning to its roots - it started out as a Chinese medium school. Mr Tan said that while becoming a SAP school has always been on Nan Chiau 's "wish-list", the school is also mindful that this could mean that the students will be interacting only with Chinese-speaking peers.
    Which is why the school - which was set up by the Singapore Hokkien clan association - is hoping to "create more opportunities both in the classroom and on the ground (where) students can go beyond the Chinese language and cultural experience in their daily routine", said Mr Tan.
    The principal added that most of his students come from "middle-income families staying in HDB flats".
    Said Mr Tan: "I do not think there'll be the elitist mindset ... but we'll still create more volunteering opportunities to keep them connected to the community."
    According to Mr Tan, the school's lessons will infuse elements from other cultures such as teaching the students basic Malay language or getting them to listen to Korean folk songs.
    The school is also looking to increase its proportion of foreign students - currently at less than 5 per cent - to create more diversity in the learning environment, added Mr Tan.
    The move to make Nan Chiau a SAP school was announced in November last year. The last school to join the programme was Nan Hua High in 2000.
    Under the SAP programme, Nan Chiau will admit only Express stream students from next year.
    Nan Chiau 's subject head (Chinese Language) Ong Chuxian, who will be spearheading the school's SAP taskforce, said that the students will also learn about their forefathers.
    Said Ms Ong: "Society has evolved rapidly to what it is today and it is important for students to be aware of their heritage and be appreciative of their own distinct culture."
    Apart from introducing a bilingual literacy programme for all its students, those in the upper secondary classes under the SAP programme will be taught comparative studies of different Chinese cities.
    The school also plans to focus more on leadership building among its students and research in science and mathematics.
    The school's facilities, including its library, will be upgraded. A hostel could also be on the cards.
    Said Mr Tan: "It has always been the school's dream to turn SAP and it will give students in the north-east region an additional option. We see it as our responsibility to impart the Chinese language and culture to the newer generation and preventing it from getting lost in time."
    - TODAY

Nan Chiau High has indeed come a long long way. I had a friend who graduated from there some 15 years back and the result of that school then was really below average. Then I know of a student who graduated there some 3 years back. So so so different already. Then recently announced it going SAP. Wow! Bravo to the school and students as well as staff!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

The location of a primary school seems to have influence on the ranking and performance of the school? E.g., if the school takes in only good students (regardless of whether they get tuitions and become better or not), then the school PSLE results will be better and shine.
    If the school is located in the heartlands, then obviously the students intake will be quite mix and extreme, so the school can't boost of 99% students all can go into "Express class", or at lest 90% students all get at least 1 A* and 3A (usually such grades means the students are already the top 10% in the whole cohort, equivalent to T-score of about 245 +/-). Only several of the popular primary schools can boost of the above.
    Remember recently some people say shift some popular primary schools to heartlands and will benefit the heartland kids? Well, it seem that such scheme will not work. E.g. look at CHIJ St Nicholas Primary. The school will just go down the slope and become "not" popular anyway with declining results, prestige, and status. >150 years of school building and history gone down the drain!

Nan Chiau to become SAP school!
    What happened to St Nicholas Girls after moving to Ang Mo Kio hah? It seems that the quality has deteriorated. It used to vire with RGS as the top number 1 school in Singapore but somehow it has slipped down.

------------------------------------------------
    Title : Nan Chiau High set to become SAP school
    By : Ng Jing Yng, TODAY Date : 18 Jul 2011 0634 hrs (GMT + 8hrs)

SINGAPORE: As Nan Chiau High gears up to become the 11th school under the Special Assistance Plan (SAP) next year, its principal Tan Yee Kan is keen to ensure that under the revamped curriculum, its students will be exposed to the various cultures and segments of society.As a SAP school, Nan Chiau will be returning to its roots - it started out as a Chinese medium school. Mr Tan said that while becoming a SAP school has always been on Nan Chiau 's "wish-list", the school is also mindful that this could mean that the students will be interacting only with Chinese-speaking peers.
    Which is why the school - which was set up by the Singapore Hokkien clan association - is hoping to "create more opportunities both in the classroom and on the ground (where) students can go beyond the Chinese language and cultural experience in their daily routine", said Mr Tan.
    The principal added that most of his students come from "middle-income families staying in HDB flats".
    Said Mr Tan: "I do not think there'll be the elitist mindset ... but we'll still create more volunteering opportunities to keep them connected to the community."
    According to Mr Tan, the school's lessons will infuse elements from other cultures such as teaching the students basic Malay language or getting them to listen to Korean folk songs.
    The school is also looking to increase its proportion of foreign students - currently at less than 5 per cent - to create more diversity in the learning environment, added Mr Tan.
    The move to make Nan Chiau a SAP school was announced in November last year. The last school to join the programme was Nan Hua High in 2000.
    Under the SAP programme, Nan Chiau will admit only Express stream students from next year.
    Nan Chiau 's subject head (Chinese Language) Ong Chuxian, who will be spearheading the school's SAP taskforce, said that the students will also learn about their forefathers.
    Said Ms Ong: "Society has evolved rapidly to what it is today and it is important for students to be aware of their heritage and be appreciative of their own distinct culture."
    Apart from introducing a bilingual literacy programme for all its students, those in the upper secondary classes under the SAP programme will be taught comparative studies of different Chinese cities.
    The school also plans to focus more on leadership building among its students and research in science and mathematics.
    The school's facilities, including its library, will be upgraded. A hostel could also be on the cards.
    Said Mr Tan: "It has always been the school's dream to turn SAP and it will give students in the north-east region an additional option. We see it as our responsibility to impart the Chinese language and culture to the newer generation and preventing it from getting lost in time."
    - TODAY

The location of a primary school seems to have influence on the ranking and performance of the school? E.g., if the school takes in only good students (regardless of whether they get tuitions and become better or not), then the school PSLE results will be better and shine.
    If the school is located in the heartlands, then obviously the students intake will be quite mix and extreme, so the school can't boost of 99% students all can go into "Express class", or at lest 90% students all get at least 1 A* and 3A (usually such grades means the students are already the top 10% in the whole cohort, equivalent to T-score of about 245 +/-). Only several of the popular primary schools can boost of the above.
    Remember recently some people say shift some popular primary schools to heartlands and will benefit the heartland kids? Well, it seem that such scheme will not work. E.g. look at CHIJ St Nicholas Primary. The school will just go down the slope and become "not" popular anyway with declining results, prestige, and status. >150 years of school building and history gone down the drain!
    Many good schools are located in the central or east. Very few in the west and north. You can guess the reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list
    • Within 1km to good school
    • Freehold Full condo facility
    • Near MRT preferred and within 5 minutes walk.
    • Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
    • Prefer central areas, Bt Timah or D11
    • Min 2 bedder with liveable size of 1000 sq ft. 3Bed would be ideal.
    • For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp)
    BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

How to improve the chance?

How much building fund donation needed to improve the chance?

If your main intention is to get your kid into a good primary school, I dont see why you should you restrict your choice to a small or run down FH apartment.

Why not consider leasehold, or even renting?

Must not only consider for the NOW. Now you may have only one boy but in the future, a girl might come along. Anyway, do consider a co-ed school so once the first sibling enters, the subsequent one, whether boy or girl also no problem.

Nan chiau can really do with a name change. Sounds vulgar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Nan Chiau High has indeed come a long long way. I had a friend who graduated from there some 15 years back and the result of that school then was really below average. Then I know of a student who graduated there some 3 years back. So so so different already. Then recently announced it going SAP. Wow! Bravo to the school and students as well as staff!

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Many good schools are located in the central or east. Very few in the west and north. You can guess the reasons...
    Actually the good primary schools are mainly in the central west. Like farrer road.

The really good primary schools with long history is Nanyang, Rosyth, RGPS.

The only good school in the east is Tao Nan?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Nan chiau can really do with a name change. Sounds vulgar.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    Actually the good primary schools are mainly in the central west. Like farrer road.

The really good primary schools with long history is Nanyang, Rosyth, RGPS.

The only good school in the east is Tao Nan?
    Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

1. Higher chance of getting in and so not wasted all the earlier efforts and money thrown in to buy that nearby home.
    2. Kids will not be subjected to those competitive environment. I'd rather they enjoy more in primary school than be so stressed up at such a tender age. (Some parents may disagree but this is purely a personal opinion).

i agree with you. i always tell pple not to buy just because of the pri sch. later pay so much, can't get in, get posted to further sch. such a waste.

Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

1. Higher chance of getting in and so not wasted all the earlier efforts and money thrown in to buy that nearby home.
    2. Kids will not be subjected to those competitive environment. I'd rather they enjoy more in primary school than be so stressed up at such a tender age. (Some parents may disagree but this is purely a personal opinion).

Really, is all this this necessary?

I am probably gonna get a lot of flak for this but I think the effect of a "good" primary school is way way over-rated.

It is a self-fulfilling prohecy. Parents who are concerned about their children's education will try to put them in "good" schools. Invariably these students tend to do better, not because of the school but because of the parents. The parents are the type that places a big emphasis on education so will push the children more than usual.

In essence, all schools are neighbourhood schools it just depends on which neighbourhood you are in. If you are in an expensive neighbourhood (like Bukit Timah) chances are money is not a problem. This means the parents have more resources to facilitate their child's education.

Finally, after discounting the GEP classes of these "good" schools, the percentage of students remaining that cross over to the IP schools are not significantly better than those from the "normal" schools.

IMHO, the best way is to ensure a child meets his potential is to have the mother at home when he is back from school to ensure that he does his homework and develop good study habits. If need be, maybe a tuition class. The class ratio in any school (other than GEP of course) is about the same. The teachers are about the same. Other than the child's own IQ, it is the home environment that makes the most difference.

i always tell people if their child can make it, they can make it even if they study in any primary school. I know of parents struggling to get their kid into Raffles Girls school, henry park etc and in the end, the child make it into good primary school but standard not good enough to qualify for a good secondary school. It is all in the genes lah.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    i agree with you. i always tell pple not to buy just because of the pri sch. later pay so much, can't get in, get posted to further sch. such a waste.

i always tell people if their child can make it, they can make it even if they study in any primary school. I know of parents struggling to get their kid into Raffles Girls school, henry park etc and in the end, the child make it into good primary school but standard not good enough to qualify for a good secondary school. It is all in the genes lah.
    You and I and some others here probably will never understand the mindset of a typical kiasu parent. The thought that their child is not in a premium (elite) school is simply overwhelming and killing them so ....

This school pushes their students hard. Remember that their students come in with not-so-high PSLE T-scores (low 230+). And the majority come from not-so-privileged homes therefore their parents do not have the same resources as most of the "good" secondary schools to send them for the best tuition etc. So most of the students are solely dependent on the school to provide them with the necessary drilling for the 'O' Levels. Their school hours are long because they often have to stay back for extra lessons. In addition there is a heavy homework load. They are also pushed hard in their CCA. Their holidays are packed with homework and projects. Their results are achieved with hard work from teachers and students. The standard of Chinese is high. Those taking Higher Chinese are generally not allowed to take HCL at O Level unless they achieve A1 for their CL O Level which they take when they are in Sec 3.

Whether the new principal can maintain or surpass the achievements of the old principal remains to be tested. The old principal had brought up the school rapidly to be a Band One school in what I consider to be a relatively short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    This school pushes their students hard. Remember that their students come in with not-so-high PSLE T-scores (low 230+). And the majority come from not-so-privileged homes therefore their parents do not have the same resources as most of the "good" secondary schools to send them for the best tuition etc. So most of the students are solely dependent on the school to provide them with the necessary drilling for the 'O' Levels. Their school hours are long because they often have to stay back for extra lessons. In addition there is a heavy homework load. They are also pushed hard in their CCA. Their holidays are packed with homework and projects. Their results are achieved with hard work from teachers and students. The standard of Chinese is high. Those taking Higher Chinese are generally not allowed to take HCL at O Level unless they achieve A1 for their CL O Level which they take when they are in Sec 3.

Whether the new principal can maintain or surpass the achievements of the old principal remains to be tested. The old principal had brought up the school rapidly to be a Band One school in what I consider to be a relatively short period of time.
    You appear knowledgeable about the happenings of the school. Either your child is from this school or your friend's child is in the school. Otherwise, you are the teacher of this school or your friend is the teacher of this school... . I stay near this school for so many years and I also didn't hear so much about it like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Really, is all this this necessary?

I am probably gonna get a lot of flak for this but I think the effect of a "good" primary school is way way over-rated.

It is a self-fulfilling prohecy. Parents who are concerned about their children's education will try to put them in "good" schools. Invariably these students tend to do better, not because of the school but because of the parents. The parents are the type that places a big emphasis on education so will push the children more than usual.

In essence, all schools are neighbourhood schools it just depends on which neighbourhood you are in. If you are in an expensive neighbourhood (like Bukit Timah) chances are money is not a problem. This means the parents have more resources to facilitate their child's education.

Finally, after discounting the GEP classes of these "good" schools, the percentage of students remaining that cross over to the IP schools are not significantly better than those from the "normal" schools.

IMHO, the best way is to ensure a child meets his potential is to have the mother at home when he is back from school to ensure that he does his homework and develop good study habits. If need be, maybe a tuition class. The class ratio in any school (other than GEP of course) is about the same. The teachers are about the same. Other than the child's own IQ, it is the home environment that makes the most difference.
    It is not only the school and teachers, but also the peers. Parents can pay more attention on their kids' academic and extracurricular development, but they cannot do much about the friends they make in school
    Anyway, it is always the case everywhere that kids from more well-off families "generally" have better cares.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinCity
    It is not only the school and teachers, but also the peers. Parents can pay more attention on their kids' academic and extracurricular development, but they cannot do much about the friends they make in school
    Anyway, it is always the case everywhere that kids from more well-off families "generally" have better cares.
    i have friends ...living in D10, their children in PRIME GOOD SCHOOLS....

their daughters, started partying and putting make up in the early teens ..

on weekends, i bumped into the girls in orchard roads, and sad to say ...they dressed like hookers ..

they had decent grades .. but didnt want to study in NUS ..
    so the rich parents sent them to australia ..

they went .. less than 6 mths ..they flew back on their own ..
    citing Loneliness, no friends, etc etc as reasons ..and quit uni ..
    "Pretended" to suffer depression ... remained in singapore , not schooling, just partying evberyday for 2 YEARS ..

then went back to Australia ...

this may be an exception .. but she is a product of a GOOD SCHOOL

I am not sure. Some kids with well-off parents are rather self-centered and can become a problem for the other kids in school. Furthermore, their parents could be so busy that they have no time for their children. I have heard from some teachers in independent schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinCity

You appear knowledgeable about the happenings of the school. Either your child is from this school or your friend's child is in the school. Otherwise, you are the teacher of this school or your friend is the teacher of this school... . I stay near this school for so many years and I also didn't hear so much about it like you did.
    My child is in this school. We have problems planning the family holidays because of the school schedule whereby she has to go back for lessons or CCA even during sch holidays. Only this year she will be taking O levels can we be sure that she can go for December holiday in peace and not having to worry abt the school commitments/CCA schedule etc. Not sure if the CCA will call her back for performance or not... they seem to have inculcated a strong sense of loyalty in the students and I know some of her seniors did go back to perform for the sch even after completing their O levels last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadey
    If your main intention is to get your kid into a good primary school, I dont see why you should you restrict your choice to a small or run down FH apartment.

Why not consider leasehold, or even renting?

the thread is alive again. good that all are keen to participate in the discussion.

well the budget was set some 10 months ago and it is not realistic now. well now either to cut size or go for older apartment.

In fact visited 2 units last year which are within 1km to school but did not committ to any. I bought somewhere else to hedge inflation and am still looking.

Must not only consider for the NOW. Now you may have only one boy but in the future, a girl might come along. Anyway, do consider a co-ed school so once the first sibling enters, the subsequent one, whether boy or girl also no problem.
    850 sqft 2 bedder is enough for me. family expansion plan is not in the pipeline and I do not think we need a big house after staying in a 2000sqft apt for many years. Cleaning and upkeeping of the house is an issue.

Totally agree.

These schools have GEP classes (incl Tao Nan, NYP....etc.) The top scorers of these schools come mainly from the GEPers. The rest from these schools do better but not significantly so from the "neighbourhood" schools. Furthermore there is no affiliation to the IP schools (exception of ACS(I)).

A lot of RGPS girls expect to go on to RGS, but many of them will be disappointed.

If your child is in a GEP school but is not in a GEP class, than no matter how well he does in his studies even if he is top student, he will still be viewed as below the GEPers. This is not the fault of GEP but the parents who expect too much from their child.

Put your child in a primary school of your convenience. If his IQ belongs to the top 1-2% of his cohort, he will be in GEP where you can pick and choose the school you want. If he is not GEP material, all is not lost, with the right coaching and direction, he will still make it if he has the qualities.

Get him to right IP school, that's where it counts. If he is not IP material, than relax, your child is like the rest of the 90% of Singaporeans.

the thread is alive again. good that all are keen to participate in the discussion.

well the budget was set some 10 months ago and it is not realistic now. well now either to cut size or go for older apartment.

In fact visited 2 units last year which are within 1km to school but did not committ to any. I bought somewhere else to hedge inflation and am still looking.
    you can consider Nan Hua Primary School near Clementi area. I think those FH/999 projects around West Coast / Hong Leong Garden area are still within 1km radius, also the neighborhood around that area is also not as attas as say dist 9 and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i have friends ...living in D10, their children in PRIME GOOD SCHOOLS....

their daughters, started partying and putting make up in the early teens ..

on weekends, i bumped into the girls in orchard roads, and sad to say ...they dressed like hookers ..

they had decent grades .. but didnt want to study in NUS ..
    so the rich parents sent them to australia ..

they went .. less than 6 mths ..they flew back on their own ..
    citing Loneliness, no friends, etc etc as reasons ..and quit uni ..
    "Pretended" to suffer depression ... remained in singapore , not schooling, just partying evberyday for 2 YEARS ..

then went back to Australia ...

this may be an exception .. but she is a product of a GOOD SCHOOL
    proud owner, let me guess, you don't have kids yet, right?

There are cases like this everywhere and we all have seen it, but I won't discount "Good schools" just because of it as the risk of kids making "undesired" friends exists unless parents do home-schooling but I think it is not possible in Singapore.
    Good schools can never guarantee anything but I believe that GENERALLY their students stand a better chance to be better groomed. You can call it a self-fulfilled prophecy but if there are more kids in a school study hard, it will form a peer pressure among them, and well-off parents have more resources to help
    Frankly, I will try to enroll my son to a "good school" when the time comes. As for how he can perform, it depends on his potential and how we can help him along the way
    As a father, I will provide as much as I can to develop my kid to his full potential, and have a happy childhood
    Back to the property discussion, when I choose a place for own-stay, school is one of my considerations but definitely not the first priority
    Last edited by SpinCity; 19-07-11 at 10:42.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I am not sure. Some kids with well-off parents are rather self-centered and can become a problem for the other kids in school. Furthermore, their parents could be so busy that they have no time for their children. I have heard from some teachers in independent schools.
    At the end of the day, it all depends on how parents weigh their kids' education and upbringing. I agree what you say, but in general well-off parents have more resources to pour on their children if they want to

Quote Originally Posted by Jadey
    you can consider Nan Hua Primary School near Clementi area. I think those FH/999 projects around West Coast / Hong Leong Garden area are still within 1km radius, also the neighborhood around that area is also not as attas as say dist 9 and 10.
    nanhua is very hard to get in nowadays even if you live just next door. so forget this option.

but why consider nanhua? try qifa or clementi primary. those are better schools, in my view. at least kids from these schools speak better english than those in nanhua, who speak better mandarin than english.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...ration/phases/

refer to the above link...anyone know why there is no requirement to be within 1km of school anymore? or I missing something.

I feel that it may not be necessary to seat yr child in top notch primary school but a better neighbourhood school suffice. eg. south view primary. But I am not sure how easy it will be in 3-4 years later.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admi...ration/phases/

refer to the above link...anyone know why there is no requirement to be within 1km of school anymore? or I missing something.

I feel that it may not be necessary to seat yr child in top notch primary school but a better neighbourhood school suffice. eg. south view primary. But I am not sure how easy it will be in 3-4 years later.
    within each phase, those that live within 1km gets priorities.