Thread: Home buyers must prove sale to get higher loan

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Home buyers must prove sale to get higher loan

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_573688.html

Sep 2, 2010

Home buyers must prove sale to get higher loan

By Jessica Cheam

HOME owners wanting to move and hoping for an 80 per cent loan on a new property will now have to produce evidence that they have sold their existing home.

The proof must come in the form of a signed sale and purchase agreement and a certificate showing that the buyer of their current property has already paid the stamp duty for the deal, said the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) yesterday.

The Government unveiled on Monday a range of measures designed to dampen property speculation, including tighter lending rules for home owners with existing mortgages looking to buy another property.

They will now have to fund a 30 per cent downpayment for the new property, up from 20 per cent previously, and can borrow up to only 70 per cent of the value, down from 80 per cent.

The moves prompted questions from many home owners unsure whether they would qualify for 80 per cent financing if they intended to sell their existing property - or were in the process of doing so - and move into a new one.

The MAS clarified yesterday that borrowers who have sold their existing homes, but are still in the process of completing the sale, will still qualify for an 80 per cent loan provided they have supporting evidence of the sale.

For private property, this includes a signed sale and purchase agreement and a certificate from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (Iras) showing that stamp duty has been paid by the buyer of the existing home.

For HDB flats, the MAS requires an approval letter from the Housing Board to the seller within two weeks from the date of the first sales appointment.

The home owner should also provide additional information, such as a letter from the bank providing the current housing loan, stating that the borrower will discharge his outstanding loan by the time the property sale is completed.

Industry analysts predicted yesterday that the stricter lending rules will mean lengthier negotiations between buyers and sellers.

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail said that while it usually takes about 12 weeks for a sale to be completed, sellers may now negotiate for 14 to 16 weeks.

'This gives them time to look for a new home, get a loan and move out of their property,' he said.

HDB home owners are required to move out of their existing home upon completion of its sale, usually eight weeks after the first sales appointment.

But sellers may negotiate mutual agreements with buyers that allow them to stay beyond the sale completion date as a condition for selling the flat, said a 40-year-old property agent who declined to be named.

Banks that The Straits Times spoke to yesterday said they had been sent a new set of home loan rules by the MAS.

A circular issued on Tuesday by the MAS stipulated that banks had to 'conduct comprehensive checks' on borrowers with credit bureaus and the HDB.

OCBC Bank head of consumer secured lending Phang Lah Hwa confirmed that the bank could offer 80 per cent financing 'to genuine home buyers who have sold their existing homes... provided these customers can show evidence of the sale of the existing property at the point of loan application'.

Home owner Ming Fang Goh, 30, who is looking for an investment property, has mixed feelings about the new rules, but thinks they could be a 'blessing in disguise'.

'If the cooling measures help to bring prices down by 10 per cent, then even with a 30 per cent downpayment, some investment homes could become more affordable.'

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_573688.html

Sep 2, 2010

Home buyers must prove sale to get higher loan

By Jessica Cheam

Home owner Ming Fang Goh, 30, who is looking for an investment property, has mixed feelings about the new rules, but thinks they could be a 'blessing in disguise'.

'If the cooling measures help to bring prices down by 10 per cent, then even with a 30 per cent downpayment, some investment homes could become more affordable.'
    Sorry, Mr Home owner Goh Ming Fang, but this still makes the downpayment 7% more than before the new rules. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by lkwangli
    Sorry, Mr Home owner Goh Ming Fang, but this still makes the downpayment 7% more than before the new rules. >.<
    Obviously he can't count...

Quote Originally Posted by lkwangli
    It different.

10% is refering to the PRICE of the intended purchase got reduce due to measure. (Seller get less $)

30% is refering to the DOWNPAYMENT figure which amount to the percentage after the above 10% reduction. (Buyer own money which effect to lower compound interest)

Default How buyer can still get 80% loan

refer to file attached.

From the article,

'Industry analysts predicted yesterday that the stricter lending rules will mean lengthier negotiations between buyers and sellers.

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail said that while it usually takes about 12 weeks for a sale to be completed, sellers may now negotiate for 14 to 16 weeks.

'This gives them time to look for a new home, get a loan and move out of their property,' he said.

HDB home owners are required to move out of their existing home upon completion of its sale, usually eight weeks after the first sales appointment.

But sellers may negotiate mutual agreements with buyers that allow them to stay beyond the sale completion date as a condition for selling the flat, said a 40-year-old property agent who declined to be named.'

While it may be true that sellers would probably start to negotiate longer durations like 14wks before handing the house over to the buyer, this system is designed for self destruction. The sellers extend the no. of wks because they are looking to secure another apartment so they become the buyers and their potential seller would also negotiate extension of no. of wks therefore after 14 wks, this guy still don't have house to stay because his newly bought house is not ready. This is a vicious cycle that the introduced measure creates. Therefore, asking for extension is not the solution to the problem.

The demand for proof of sale of house before securing bank loan is so flawed. In the past, it is common practise that our house must be sold within a certain duration after buying our property. Just tighten this measure by imposing fines on any such violations can solve the problem easily.

Many may easily argue that no $ so don't buy house la... but there are many Singaporeans who are not as well to do as those guys who say this so carelessly.

My question to the relevant authorities is this, 'If your initial objective (as published so widely in papers and even in PM's speech) is to curb housing speculations, then why are there so many genuine home buyers (not speculators) feeling the pain. I called my banker to make some enquiries and he reflected to me that there have been many genuine upgraders calling in with very difficult situations as a direct result of these new rulings. Are these measures ultimately effective? Can we make adjustments to these measures of maybe, just maybe introduce other more effective measures. Thank you.

Hey, I have a question.
    My mum who does not own any property is interested to buy one now. But she is not working and my sister is going to finance it for her but not going to be a co.owner.
    Qns: If she has a existing hdb loan, is she eligible for 80% loan since she is not going to be one of the owner?

[QUOTE=shauntanzs]Hey, I have a question.
    My mum who does not own any property is interested to buy one now. But she is not working and my sister is going to finance it for her but not going to be a co.owner.
    Qns: If she has a existing hdb loan, is she eligible for 80% loan since she is not going to be one of the owner?[/QUOTE

Sad to say she is bound by the new rule.

Quote Originally Posted by shauntanzs
    Hey, I have a question.
    Qns: If she has a existing hdb loan, is she eligible for 80% loan since she is not going to be one of the owner?
    I know of another person with this similar problem. He wants to upgrade but coz his mum used his name as co-borrower from bank for her property, even when the property don't belong to him, he cannot get 80% bank loan for his upgrading property. This is so rigid. Cannot kick mother out of her house just coz he needs to get 80% loan??? Ridiculous!

He must now sell his hdb flat (which has since become a prized possession as a result of government's new initiatives) otherwise cannot upgrade (no enough for 30% downpayment) then sleep in the streets or stay in Hotel 81 for 2 months while waiting for his new house to be ready coz must show proof of sale for HDB flat, plus plus plus etc........................

Bottomline... no $, no buy!

Garman keep reiterating that these measures are to curb housing speculations but genuine home buyers also feel it because it is commonly believed that the most effective way to kill a housefly is with a chopper...