Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tharman going after high end properties investor /owner

Default Tharman going after high end properties investor /owner

Wow ccr kana liao

As expected ... CM7.5 .. landed property gets bashing (saving to lower end means??)

DPM Tharman: Top 1% (12,000) of owner-occupied residential properties will have higher taxes. However, 950k lower-end units will have savings. Eg: A landed property in central area with annual value of $150,000 will see an increase in property tax of $5,120 per year.

investment property tax is even worse !!!

New marginal property tax rates of 12% to 20% for investment properties
    Ride at your own risk !!!

heng, i am poor folk. not affected. Good thing about being contended

In the scheme of things, 5k increase is small change to these households. I dun mind paying such taxes if I could afford those properties!
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    As expected ... CM7.5 .. landed property gets bashing (saving to lower end means??)

DPM Tharman: Top 1% (12,000) of owner-occupied residential properties will have higher taxes. However, 950k lower-end units will have savings. Eg: A landed property in central area with annual value of $150,000 will see an increase in property tax of $5,120 per year.

investment property tax is even worse !!!

New marginal property tax rates of 12% to 20% for investment properties

Lol..... OCR huat.... at least government being fair now....

Everytime CCR huat, then they are really too elitist.

Property tax is immaterial. Just to con the people who don't know. The $150k AV landed property is a GCB and property tax is only $5k. Does it matter?

Like that OCR huat? People in CCR playing a totally different ballgame. At most they buy 1 less Channel bag. Life goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    Lol..... OCR huat.... at least government being fair now....

Everytime CCR huat, then they are really too elitist.

And only 12,000 properties and top 1% of property is affected. which means ALMOST ALL ARE GCB. All those condos in whatever R be it OCR or CCR CANNOT MAKE IT and will not be subject to higher taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Property tax is immaterial. Just to con the people who don't know. The $150k AV landed property is a GCB and property tax is only $5k. Does it matter?
    but if you stay in CCR and own a few CCR as investment will pay more tax right??

it is the overall impact mah

Quote Originally Posted by desfrie
    Like that OCR huat? People in CCR playing a totally different ballgame. At most they buy 1 less Channel bag. Life goes on.
    Ok, wrong word.

Here's the better analogy.

OCR got a paper cut, CCR lost a kidney.... but CCR very rich can buy kidney transplant from black market.

i think not material lor. Just to appease the people with a rule that seems punishing to the "rich" but in reality is not

but if you stay in CCR and own a few CCR as investment will pay more tax right??

it is the overall impact mah

And only 12,000 properties and top 1% of property is affected. which means ALMOST ALL ARE GCB. All those condos in whatever R be it OCR or CCR CANNOT MAKE IT and will not be subject to higher taxes.
    Singapore has 12,000 GCBs?

Wow, sorry I'm mountain tortoise.

are u sure? news said there are 2 more bands created i.e. 8% and 16% for owner occupied properties and 12-20% marginal tax rate for investment properties

Lol...yes that looks like a better analogy!

Ok, wrong word.

Here's the better analogy.

OCR got a paper cut, CCR lost a kidney.... but CCR very rich can buy kidney transplant from black market.

investment property tax:

Oops. Sorry, thought it was 1,200.

But frankly, I still think it's not that material. To really hurt the "rich" is to make the income tax more progressive. Currently the income tax hurts the middle class the most.

I know one reaches max tax bracket (20%) with an income of only $400k or so. That's really not fair for those earning $400-$500k because these are only middle class and yet got taxed the highest bracket- same as those making millions. What the government really should do is to charge higher tax rates for those earning MILLIONS per year. Times have changed and earning $500k is mere middle class - and civil servants and Ministers and bankers are paid millions. So a more progressive tax system with those earning in excess of millions say 30% tax or so should work. And use the money to help the poor.

Singapore has 12,000 GCBs?

Wow, sorry I'm mountain tortoise.

Hmm the new rules mean that since I own an HDB (rented out) and live in private, and already pay investment rate for both, I will kena a double increment (each property's tax increases) right?

Not material lah... who cares about a few hundred or thousand increase in property tax per year?

investment property tax:

wow Wild Falcon .. earning 500k is middle class ... your standard really atas ... are u hinting you are "middle class"

Your annual income of $300,000
    is higher than 96.5% of all resident taxpayers.

if a salesman like Cecilia I can understand

clap clap clap

Oops. Sorry, thought it was 1,200.

But frankly, I still think it's not that material. To really hurt the "rich" is to make the income tax more progressive. Currently the income tax hurts the middle class the most.

I know one reaches max tax bracket (20%) with an income of only $400k or so. That's really not fair for those earning $400-$500k because these are only middle class and yet got taxed the highest bracket- same as those making millions. What the government really should do is to charge higher tax rates for those earning MILLIONS per year. Times have changed and earning $500k is mere middle class - and civil servants and Ministers and bankers are paid millions. So a more progressive tax system with those earning in excess of millions say 30% tax or so should work. And use the money to help the poor.
    I agree with Wild falcon.
    Earning $400-500k per year IS middle class!
    You are comfortable but you need to watch what you spend and if you have kids studying abroad, you cannot think of living luxuriously.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    You are comfortable but you need to watch what you spend and if you have kids studying abroad, you cannot think of living luxuriously.
    there is a diff between one person earning 500k and family earning 500k u know

"An angel takes the human form: listen not to the bird in the sky, but the ghost walking on earth. for angels walks on Earth as spirits, not fly as birds in the sky"

-wise words by BJ21T

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    "An angel takes the human form: listen not to the bird in the sky, but the ghost walking on earth. for angels walks on Earth as spirits, not fly as birds in the sky"

-wise words by BJ21T
    WOAHAHEHEHEHEHE

I AM SO HANDSOME.

-wise words by BJ21T
    I really feel sad today ... when 500k personal income is considered middle class ... how about this family? No wonder Ngiam Tong Dow said the coming riot is not racial/religion rather it is rich vs poor

WOAHAHEHEHEHEHE

I AM SO HANDSOME.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt13OAYXhPU

NOW YOU BELIEVE I GOT 3 EYES LIAO BO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    Wow ccr kana liao
    yea..
    ccr property's tax up by so much!!
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

I really feel sad today ... when 500k personal income is considered middle class ... how about this family?

Dun worry about it, good brother. in time soon to come, you will be able to see clearly

there is a diff between one person earning 500k and family earning 500k u know
    Ya. Thanks for pointing out the obvious which may sometimes be overlooked.
    So if one person earn 500k per year and has 8 children and a non working spouse, it is almost the same as a person earning 150k per year with a non working spouse and 1 child.

I was really hoping that they would extend child income tax relief for working fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp

jiejie, don't tell me pple around you are earning this range?

I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Default $500,000 a year is middle clasS?

WOW! Amazing there are people who feel that $500,000 income a year is middle class!! And to think that Mitt Romney's got villified and mocked last year for saying that middle class income is $250,000 a year!!! The averrage American family, by the way, makes $50,000 a year. Don't have the stats for S'pore but . . . . half a million a year is middle class? Seriously . . . Singapore boleh!