Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curious: East Vs West Sun for Feng Shui

S if east erson can have house facing north or south? What does it mean?

Forbidden city is N-S facing. you say leh?

Quote Originally Posted by sunny88
    Agents tell me caucasians love west facing units cos they love the sun!

How true is that ??
    Its true caucasians do luv the sun but not the humid climate we have here...
    U must always give some discounts to what the agents tell u..
    N there is also no guarantee yr next tenant will be ang mo.
    Better to be safe to avoid west facing units if u hv a choice!

Don't know how to read le... I thought lucky and unlucky info on this link: http://www.circle-of-light.com/fengshui/fs-kua.html

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    Summer palace face which direction?

Quote Originally Posted by ahchee
    Now live in NE-SW facing, never experience east sun house before. Anybody with east sun experience? In the morning must wake up early early cannot sleep huh?
    Nope. $50 quick fix - thick curtains. Sleep until noon no problem. But confirm must turn on air con in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TravieJackie
    I also agree that room with East sun coming in is very hot especially for someone who sleeps in late. I once jumped up due to heat on my legs. Burnt by the sun.

I'm now looking at a unit with West sun on the wall which is also the wall of the unit master bedroom. Will it be hot too? 'Coz it's one whole wall and may trap heat.

No experience with that. Can someone advise?
    I think wall ok but not through the windows. Because the floor and furnishings will all be hot...

Haha.. the more I read about those Kua no. thingy and Feng Shui thingy, the more confused. Feels right then buy.

Guess I'm asking a tad too much questions now coz looking for first property to stay long in it.

I have a mix of excitement and apprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    I think wall ok but not through the windows. Because the floor and furnishings will all be hot...
    Ya, maybe fabric furnishing will fade more easily. Wonder if that will affect wooden ones?
    Just a wild thought - will wall be too hot and too much expansion that may cause cracks in wall in ssay, 10 years?

East Sun or West Sun, it's just which do you prefer to be heated first.

East gets heated in the morning, west get heated in the afternoon.

All these don't really matter. What matters is your exposed walls, as they retain heat. Must look at the walls facing the west sun. If its your living room, it will be hot there, ceiling fan can do the trick. If it is in your bed room, you will end up using air con. If you on air con even if it is raining, what else matters? Just enjoy your home as it is. Work around it. Even tortoise needs the sun to make sure their shell is hard, they cannot stay forever in the waters. Other examples are snakes, crocodile and monitor lizards. All these are found near the waters.

Do you know that your inverter air-conditioning system is still consuming power as long as your on/off power switch next to your condensing unit is on although your indoor split unit is off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tek888
    Yes, correct. However, with the newer inverter aircons, the pain on the pocket is lesser as they consume a lot lesser power than the non-inverter ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Do you know that your inverter air-conditioning system is still consuming power as long as your on/off power switch next to your condensing unit is on although your indoor split unit is off?

Why does it have to consume power?

To keep the roaches out, like the piano?

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    Summer palace face which direction?
    SG is summer year round, no need summer palace.

Also can dry clothes One of my rooms got west sun and sometimes I just shift some clothes there to dry At the end of the day, its up to you. Frankly, west sun over lousy view any time. The hottest is TOP FLOOR and of couse landed. As long as you're not on the top floor or landed (roof heat plus all direction sun), you should be fine. Singapore is hot all year round and very often rain/cloudy in the afternoon. So you won't get the west sun everyday. and if its not direct west, i.e. NW or SW, you only get the sun half a year.

I prefer morning sun. Just get black out curtain if u want to sleep late.
    Cannot tahan afternoon sun - it is no joke.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to have some sunlight.
    Some units are so dark that they need to switch on lights even during daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by p3nboy
    Fengshui is a load of crap....

Doesn't matter where the Forbidden City or Summer Palace faced.... China still got pillaged by the foreign invaders who didn't give a hoot about such things

It is just like you standby light of your TV but this is consuming more power.
    Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp

Why does it have to consume power?

To keep the roaches out, like the piano?

I also agree that room with East sun coming in is very hot especially for someone who sleeps in late. I once jumped up due to heat on my legs. Burnt by the sun.

I'm now looking at a unit with West sun on the wall which is also the wall of the unit master bedroom. Will it be hot too? 'Coz it's one whole wall and may trap heat.

No experience with that. Can someone advise?
    It is a proven fact that the afternoon sun is hotter.

The effect is called diurnal variation.

In addition the afternoon glare is also worse. You cannot watch TV if your living room is facing afternoon sun .... your aircon is at full blast but the walls retain the heat that continue to emit heat into the night into your home.

Even with solar films..... no use.... the heat is trapped at the window.... solar films deflect some of the glare but take in most of the heat... the result is a big heated glass, touch it and feel your fingers sizzle...

Please take it with a pinch of salt when people in the forum say afternoon sun is better... l believe it is self interest.... they are probably vested in a unit facing west and are trying to play diwn the ill effects

Quote Originally Posted by cavaliver
    I prefer morning sun. Just get black out curtain if u want to sleep late.
    Cannot tahan afternoon sun - it is no joke.

Nevertheless, I still prefer to have some sunlight.
    Some units are so dark that they need to switch on lights even during daytime.
    Ironically, afternoon sun units need to switch on lights in the afternoon.

Why? ?...the curtains/blinds have to be drawn in the afternoon leaving the rooms very dark and with no ventilation. The lights and aircon are forced to be switched on.

Quote Originally Posted by logic
    Fengshui is a load of crap....

Doesn't matter where the Forbidden City or Summer Palace faced.... China still got pillaged by the foreign invaders who didn't give a hoot about such things
    hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by avo7007
    If unit is facing East Sun and facing pool, price is even higher?
    And noise from the pool too if on low floors

Quote Originally Posted by sunny88
    Agents tell me caucasians love west facing units cos they love the sun!

How true is that ??
    Sounds like bulls--t.

Agents will tell you anything to sell the house.

Angmos are not stupid, even colonial houses are built with the tropical climate in mind. The Istana was built facing East.

A person who loves the beach or sun tanning does not necessarily mean they love to stay in a west facing house.

This is the fallacy of Noel Coward's mad dogs and Englishmen.

Ironically, afternoon sun units need to switch on lights in the afternoon.

Why? ?...the curtains/blinds have to be drawn in the afternoon leaving the rooms very dark and with no ventilation. The lights and aircon are forced to be switched on.
    Ha ha,true....well said!

In addition the afternoon glare is also worse. You cannot watch TV if your living room is facing afternoon sun .... your aircon is at full blast but the walls retain the heat that continue to emit heat into the night into your home.

Even with solar films..... no use.... the heat is trapped at the window.... solar films deflect some of the glare but take in most of the heat... the result is a big heated glass, touch it and feel your fingers sizzle...

Please take it with a pinch of salt when people in the forum say afternoon sun is better... l believe it is self interest.... they are probably vested in a unit facing west and are trying to play diwn the ill effects
    I did an experiment before with solar film from 3M. Managed to get 3 degree Celsius improvement if I remember correctly for a west facing window. That's for closed windows.For a room with west facing windows it's better that room has other windows in other directions that can help ventilate the room.

I got free solar film samples from 3M dealer and bought thermometer gauges from dealextreme.com for $2.50 each. You can test it out yourself too.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It is just like you standby light of your TV but this is consuming more power.
    Yup. Approx 50w per compressor. It's the heater circuit at the compressor is on. The purpose is to prevent the accumulation of compressor oil at the bottom of the compressor pump.

Totally agree with you.

It is a big load of crap if anyone says that Afternoon West sun is better than morning sun.

Good luck to him or her!

Dun like to always use aircon. Firstly elect bills will be high and secondly mother-in-law says it's bad for rheumatism. Still prefer old-fashioned way of using fan coz cost much less for power bills.

Wah.. how many of you engaged a FSM before buying a place?
    ME!

but for east or west sun, see if you intend to stay for long, then buy what you like in terms of lifestyle.

if intend to sell earlier, then better to buy east sun. you can cater to a larger pool of potential buyers in future.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by mkl22
    Yup. Approx 50w per compressor. It's the heater circuit at the compressor is on. The purpose is to prevent the accumulation of compressor oil at the bottom of the compressor pump.
    so should i switch off the main switch or not? will it spoil faster if i switch it off, thus not allowing the circulation of this compressor oil?
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by TKT
    Totally agree with you.

It is a big load of crap if anyone says that Afternoon West sun is better than morning sun.

Good luck to him or her!

Check this out.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/s...apore/historic
    Actually by virtue of our timezone where sunrise/set is 7/7 instead of6/6 it's already hotter in the afternoon.

But then strictly speaking our mid sun is 1pm so east facing will still get some sun at 12 noon.