PDA

View Full Version : Roadblock on property route to riches

mr funny
12-10-10, 00:20
http://www.straitstimes.com/Think/Story/STIStory_588848.html

Oct 10, 2010

Roadblock on property route to riches

By Jessica Cheam

For as long as I can remember, Singaporeans have had a lifetime preoccupation with property.

Even with the Government's recent cooling measures to tighten financing and restrict home ownership, new showflats were chock-a-block across the island over the past week, albeit with people looking but not buying just yet.

A home is not just a home by most Singaporeans' definition. Singaporeans are property-obsessed people, frequently comparing notes with peers on how best to make money from the land-scarce country's property market.

The majority have come to regard it as something they deserve for being Singaporean - first, through buying subsidised Housing Board flats. Many then regard it as a de facto path to greater riches, through selling their flats for a profit to upgrade to bigger homes, or investing in private property for capital gains or rental yields.

This is the quintessential Singapore Dream, made accessible by the economic environment such as available financing, relatively low interest rates and the absence of controls such as capital gains tax.

Of course, the recent cooling measures have stopped many in their tracks.

As the latest HDB data showed, sales volume of resale flats dipped 25 per cent last month, compared with the August figure.

Property agencies have suggested that prices will soften by 5 per cent or more, with cash needed upfront for flats expected to fall to a median $10,000 by the year end.

Industry analysts attribute it to the tightened rules, which have effectively shut out of the market private property owners and permanent residents with properties in their home countries.

Every segment of the population has been affected in some way, but genuine middle-income upgraders and long-term investors seem to feel they have been hit the hardest.

Anecdotally, I have heard private property owners curse the new rules as they were on the verge of investing in an HDB flat; or long-term investors who had saved for the 20 per cent down payment to invest in a unit, but whose plans are now thwarted by the ruling - that second mortgages can qualify for only a 70 per cent loan.

There are also grumbles from young families that had saved up for the 20 per cent down payment to upgrade to an executive condominium, but now cannot do so unless they fork out 30 per cent. The alternative would be to sell their home now and rent for three years while their new unit is being built - but not many will do this.

The 10 per cent difference could range from $80,000 to $100,000 if the home being eyed is a typical suburban condo costing $800,000 to $1 million.

It's not a small sum - saving it could take a few more years.

A Forum letter writer recently questioned: 'Is it fair to inconvenience the majority of us who are not speculative? What if we have plans to use property investment for future retirement or future educational funds for our children?'

All these grievances were aired in Parliament recently, when Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim and Marine Parade GRC MP Lim Biow Chuan asked if the new rules were making it hard for upgraders and retirees to monetise their flats.

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan had acknowledged the concerns, but emphasised that the new policy was to reinforce the use of an HDB flat for long-term owner occupation - not as a mode of investment.

This makes sense, except that some critics such as National University of Singapore sociologist Tan Ern Ser observe that the unintended consequence of such a policy - especially if implemented for a long period of time - is a wider divide between the rich, and the middle-class and below.

While the measures help entry-level home buyers, Dr Tan said, the wealthier classes could indirectly get a boost since middle-class folk are less able to play the property investment game, making the market less crowded for the rich.

Wealthy individuals will no doubt be waiting on the sidelines to scoop up investment homes when prices decline - hence encouraging the rich to get richer.

Already, Singapore's income inequality has worsened over the past two decades. Its Gini coefficient - 1 representing complete inequality and 0 complete equality - increased from 0.41 for most of the 1990s to 0.489 in 2007, before dipping to 0.478 last year.

With government transfers, it came down to 0.453, but this figure remains well above the 0.31 average of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development countries.

Will the new rules cause this gulf between the rich and the poor to widen? Will Singapore's property market - beyond the one roof above your head - become largely a rich man's playground?

If the measures are short-term, this is unlikely. But if the rules stay the same for a long time, it is not an unlikely scenario.

This has prompted many to ask if the rules could have been fine-tuned to make a distinction between genuine middle-income upgraders or investors and short-term speculators.

For example, 80 per cent financing could still be allowed for those who pledge to live in their new home for five years - a minimum occupation period, similar to the one in the HDB market, could be implemented.

Or the stricter rules could apply to homes costing above a certain price, say, $1 million, leaving the market below $1 million more dynamic for middle-class upgraders.

But it is difficult to predict whether such measures will distort market forces, creating potentially negative consequences.

Alternatively, this group of buyers could look at the rules from a different perspective instead of fretting about the current restrictions.

If property prices come down as a result of the cooling measures, the 20 per cent they have saved could be enough for a 30 per cent down payment in a couple of years.

As Singapore's property cycle is now at its peak, it would seem unwise for those chasing properties to make hasty decisions when prices are at historic highs.

Also, the changing of rules does not mean the end of property investment as we know it.

As Mr Mah put it: 'If you already own a private property, then please don't at this point in time go and compete with the others to buy an HDB resale (flat) unless you're genuinely downgrading.'

His choice of words suggests that this policy will change in time to come - and perhaps sooner than anticipated.

But what is clear is that with this new property landscape, property-obsessed Singaporeans should take a breather and re-evaluate their notion of property as a quick and given path to riches.

[email protected]

mcmlxxvi
12-10-10, 08:51
Good article. Havent really seen neutral reporting for a long time.

proud owner
12-10-10, 11:10
Good article. Havent really seen neutral reporting for a long time.

most reports for the past yrs have been BULLISH ...
this is neutral ...

is this a beginning in a change to neutral stance ...and then ?

rattydrama
12-10-10, 15:11
it will take another 2 quarters to tell. some say -30%:scared-1:

Localite
12-10-10, 16:31
it will take another 2 quarters to tell. some say -30%:scared-1:

Why would prices drop so much?

Buyer with $200 looking to buy a 1 mil ppty (20% downpayment) for investment can look at $650k ppty instead (30% downpayment).

I think ppty prices will stay flat and then start rising again once buyers get impatient of waiting.

All these kinds of curbs just create market standstill for a few months as people realign their paradigm.

The ratio rental / interest rate is at an unprecedented high, and there is risk aversion towards traditional high yield instruments like stocks. Sure some marginal investors / speculators will be weeded out, but I believe there is enough genuine demand from home buyers and conservative investors.

rattydrama
17-10-10, 09:48
We just need to have a few serious sellers who want to cash out now at below current caveat price to impact the future caveat price. The price may drop a bit in these 2 quarters imo. However, I agree that once people come to term with the new rules, and there are no negative economic sediments, the property price will go north again.

The -30% envisaged is backed by the fact that the Sept transaction has dropped to 911 units (without big price adjustment at the moment) and in the hope that the transaction number continues to run low till end of this year!

The agent might take this opportunity to talk down about property prices, some owners may agree to sell low so long as they are making profits.

But I think it is unlikely to happen but you will never know actually. When the wave comes, there is no time for you to run away.

Buyer with $200 looking to buy a 1 mil ppty (20% downpayment) for investment can look at $650k ppty instead (30% downpayment).

I think ppty prices will stay flat and then start rising again once buyers get impatient of waiting.

All these kinds of curbs just create market standstill for a few months as people realign their paradigm.

The ratio rental / interest rate is at an unprecedented high, and there is risk aversion towards traditional high yield instruments like stocks. Sure some marginal investors / speculators will be weeded out, but I believe there is enough genuine demand from home buyers and conservative investors.

DC33_2008
17-10-10, 09:54
You can see property market in China. Rise after 4 months as there is so much cash flowing into this region with low interest. Lots of people would want to leverage on these conditions.

rattydrama
17-10-10, 09:57
You can see property market in China. Rise after 4 months as there is so much cash flowing into this region with low interest. Lots of people would want to leverage on these conditions.

china is developing country so you can buy anything for the time being and it is still profitable.

SG is a developed country but again we are small so the price should be growing as well.

DC33_2008
17-10-10, 10:01
You can see recently with the new property's measures in Hong Kong, the CDL counter has gone pass $13. You can see Singapore is being influenced by the region. Just hope garment will not come up with new measures.

rattydrama
17-10-10, 16:17
You can see recently with the new property's measures in Hong Kong, the CDL counter has gone pass $13. You can see Singapore is being influenced by the region. Just hope garment will not come up with new measures.

I think it is not that bad either to come up with more measures. The more you curb, the more people will want to buy and in a longer term, it build up confidence in property investment in SG and in the region. Imagine the influx of monies into Asia market, isnt this good for us?

I would think that once people can afford the balance 10% of the 30%, more investor will buy into property.

TS
17-10-10, 22:16

I think you are rather optimistic. I think it can go both ways. Even if it goes up, capital appreciation for mass market is unlikely (now that HDB prices are in check) and surely limited. The downside potential can be hefty however. I wish you luck.

The only better bets now are the high end properties. Even then, they are not sure bet.

rattydrama
17-10-10, 22:26
right now if anyone buying, make sure its a good location and you can hold long long. and if you want to buy some more, make sure anyone will "chiong to grab" type of property. Otherwise, just sit and relax and participate in this forum.

I think you are rather optimistic. I think it can go both ways. Even if it goes up, capital appreciation for mass market is unlikely (now that HDB prices are in check) and surely limited. The downside potential can be hefty however. I wish you luck.

The only better bets now are the high end properties. Even then, they are not sure bet.

Wild Falcon
17-10-10, 22:31
U didn't read yesterday's Straits Times? It looks like mass market is the MOST RESILIENT after the cooling measures leh. A lot of these experts are taking back their words.

Never believe in those ANALysts about only buying "high-end". The CCR transaction has collapsed close to 60% in Sep 2010. It just shows the speculative demand has been the most rampant in that segment. The cooling measure is never meant to crash HDB or suburbs which still has the strongest fundamentals with the strongest rental yields. If you really analyse and look beyond the surface, the cooling measures is targeted specifically at weak speculators who take maximum leverage, e.g. SSD, 70% loan for second property - wherever they are. Looking at how CCR transactions collapse, one can see where these weak speculators are.

And capital appreciatiation is dependent on whether the specific development/area has future developments or new transportation links. It has nothing to do with whether it is "high-end" or "non-high-end". There is no such thing as capital appreciation for only mass market is limited. Suburban developments with new development potential or future transport links can still have capital gains. Similarly, a "high-end" that is fully valued clearly does not have any more real upside.

rattydrama
17-10-10, 22:57
Generally most mass-market condo are bought for self stay so with less deals change hand in the past, the price is stable. In the past, investors are not interested in mass market condo since the price is stable.

People who buy into mass-market condo are looking at affordability rather than investment.

I believed right now anything hover around 1m or 750psf is where people willingly part their money for good location mass market condo. (LH)

This price should stabilize since everyone can afford unless a major event such as SARS.

If investor now keen on mass market condo due to the overall price, better rental yield, spacious layout of old condos, the price of mass market condo should be going up gradually these few years.

Look at FEO, they have many projects for mass market with good location. Ang Mo Kio Centro is a classic example.

TS
17-10-10, 22:57
U didn't read yesterday's Straits Times? It looks like mass market is the MOST RESILIENT after the cooling measures leh. A lot of these experts are taking back their words.

Never believe in those ANALysts about only buying "high-end". The CCR transaction has collapsed close to 60% in Sep 2010. It just shows the speculative demand has been the most rampant in that segment. The cooling measure is never meant to crash HDB or suburbs which still has the strongest fundamentals with the strongest rental yields. If you really analyse and look beyond the surface, the cooling measures is targeted specifically at weak speculators who take maximum leverage, e.g. SSD, 70% loan for second property - wherever they are. Looking at how CCR transactions collapse, one can see where these weak speculators are.

And capital appreciatiation is dependent on whether the specific development/area has future developments or new transportation links. It has nothing to do with whether it is "high-end" or "non-high-end". There is no such thing as capital appreciation for only mass market is limited. Suburban developments with new development potential or future transport links can still have capital gains. Similarly, a "high-end" that is fully valued clearly does not have any more real upside.

Mass market is "resilent" cos HDB is holding it up. It is anyway IMHO too early to draw any conclusion. The measures are only 1 month old. If the spectulators cannot even hold for 1 month, then my toes will laugh. Lawyers and paperwork also need 10 weeks standard.

I make my own judgement having invested in ppty for slightly >10 years. I may not have a crystal ball, but clearly the downside potential for mass market is NOT less than the potential upside in the short term.

If you can say "There is no such thing as capital appreciation for only mass market is limited", then there is nothing to discuss as you are so sure.

amk
18-10-10, 15:45
I think it can go both ways. Even if it goes up, capital appreciation for mass market is unlikely (now that HDB prices are in check) and surely limited.
kind of. I feel the quantum itself (not PSF) is the limiting factor. absolute total sum of 1.2M or abt seems to be the max HDB upgraders are willing to pay. I think many mass market units at this level will have very strong support from locals. So upside above this level will be quite limited at this moment (when gov steps in to curb HDB resale prices)

rattydrama
18-10-10, 16:04
Yes agree on the quantum limitation.

Not necessary to curb resale price as more HDB flats to be released in the next 2 to 3 years. People who cannot wait at this moment will buy from resale market BUT if new HDB are ready for IMMEDIATE occupation, resale price will be depressed.

One announcement from MBT towards this direction will do, better than any other measurements.

kind of. I feel the quantum itself (not PSF) is the limiting factor. absolute total sum of 1.2M or abt seems to be the max HDB upgraders are willing to pay. I think many mass market units at this level will have very strong support from locals. So upside above this level will be quite limited at this moment (when gov steps in to curb HDB resale prices)