PDA

View Full Version : Which extreme should i go?

gfoo
11-11-10, 11:50
Which extreme should i go?

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah) zero change in liquid net worth, but some (though limited) cap gains

2) Downgrade to HDB maisonette, renovate w couple of hundred grand to make it livable. Can retire for life, but confirm lose $$ on paper although just a couple of hundred k at most?

I won't consider mass market, not at these prices.

kingkong1984
11-11-10, 11:53

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah) zero change in liquid net worth, but some (though limited) cap gains

2) Downgrade to HDB maisonette. Can retire for life, but confirm lose $$ on paper although just a couple of hundred k at most?

extreme is to sell all and buy a old 3 room flat in town to retire. Better if near hospital or old folks home.

gfoo
11-11-10, 11:56
extreme is to sell all and buy a old 3 room flat in town to retire. Better if near hospital or old folks home.

Please, i'm not THAT old (early 30s).... and looking for a 1500sqft and above location, definitely not a 3 room flat in town.

DC33_2008
11-11-10, 11:58
Depends on which stage of life. Close to retirement may downsize and stay near mrt stn. Easy to manage and cannot drive anymore due to poor response.

kingkong1984
11-11-10, 12:02
Please, i'm not THAT old (early 30s).... and looking for a 1500sqft and above location, definitely not a 3 room flat in town.

ok

1. same budget, go for fh versus lh

2. same sized, for for lower psf

3. same location (district), go for nearer to MRT

4. same stack, go for higher floor

5. same orientation, go for no west sun

6. same facilities, go for bigger swimming pool

7. LOOK FOR FUTURE GROWTH POTENTIAL.

Try to unlock some cash for rainy days.

joseph85
11-11-10, 12:21
to me property in central area is only for speculation and never meant for self stay. unless you are those sort that like to show off, then any property in singapore is easy reach and nice. the extra money u spent it on other investment or for retirement la.

gfoo
11-11-10, 12:30
to me property in central area is only for speculation and never meant for self stay. unless you are those sort that like to show off, then any property in singapore is easy reach and nice. the extra money u spent it on other investment or for retirement la.

it's a very different lifestyle and yes, a bit atas.

i do not agree that all parts of singapore are nice. there are still very bad parts no one should touch with a bargepole

DC33_2008
11-11-10, 12:33
Do you mean CBD area? Central is rather large these days.

teddybear
11-11-10, 12:41
:confused: Central area so big, everywhere in D9, D10, and D11? Like that anybody who lives in D9, D10, D11 is wanting to show off and/or speculating only? :scared-1:
9 out of 10 Ministers probably live in D9-D11, all want to show off and/or speculate with no intention for self-stay?
Don't know what to reply to these types of senseless, baseless, brainless comments. :doh:
Really any property in singapore is easy reach and nice? Bukit Panjang got 6 people got hacked for nothing, Downtown East got a nice young man got hacked to death for nothing, Kallang got 2 people hacked to death and 1 with fingers hacked off for nothing (.................................) :scared-3:

kingkong1984
11-11-10, 12:49
Go for MM's here... very good for self stay.

amk
11-11-10, 14:10
(duplicated)

amk
11-11-10, 14:10

1) Downgrade in location, upgrade in size - but stay within the mid-end market (scove, bt timah)
I will definitely do 2). make sure it's the better part of bt timah. some are very quiet and peaceful, yet easily accessible, and not crowded.

stalingrad
11-11-10, 14:53
:confused: Central area so big, everywhere in D9, D10, and D11? Like that anybody who lives in D9, D10, D11 is wanting to show off and/or speculating only? :scared-1:
9 out of 10 Ministers probably live in D9-D11, all want to show off and/or speculate with no intention for self-stay?
Don't know what to reply to these types of senseless, baseless, brainless comments. :doh:
Really any property in singapore is easy reach and nice? Bukit Panjang got 6 people got hacked for nothing, Downtown East got a nice young man got hacked to death for nothing, Kallang got 2 people hacked to death and 1 with fingers hacked off for nothing (.................................) :scared-3:

nice young man? more likely a gangster himself. haha!

but I do agree that some parts of singapore are not so nice.

gfoo
11-11-10, 15:03
nice young man? more likely a gangster himself. haha!

but I do agree that some parts of singapore are not so nice.

i think its an open secret that most gang members are if a certain race today, even if its a chinese sounding gang. thus moving into an area chock full of them is a no-no.

amk is rite, if i do decide to move, prob will be bt timah

now at crossroads, decisions decisions ..... sigh having a kid really throws the spanner into e works

devilplate
11-11-10, 15:15
EM nice leh....cheap and good(save some money to add more GOLD...hehe)....goto slowly search for it...not easy to find one tat u like as its rare....dun hf to spend couple of hundred k...gold taps meh? hehe...100k will do rite? money not tat small yet lah:p

stalingrad
11-11-10, 15:15
i think its an open secret that most gang members are if a certain race today, even if its a chinese sounding gang. thus moving into an area chock full of them is a no-no.

now at crossroads, decisions decisions ..... sigh having a kid really throws the spanner into e works

people say low income = gangsterism. to some extent, it is true. thus, condos are better than HDB, and CBD is better than ulu.

gfoo
11-11-10, 15:24
people say low income = gangsterism. to some extent, it is true. thus, condos are better than HDB, and CBD is better than ulu.

true. but there are some hdb enclaves that have been priced out of their segment so those will be the ones i might consider. but liddat might also have to downgrade car else will be damn weird siah.

devilplate
11-11-10, 15:29
true. but there are some hdb enclaves that have been priced out of their segment so those will be the ones i might consider. but liddat might also have to downgrade car else will be damn weird siah.

E class or 5series still ok

kane
11-11-10, 15:36

yeah, lots of 5 series, e class and estimas in HDB carpark. Unless yours is a Z4, SLK or something.

Option 1 sounds good.

amk
11-11-10, 15:37

btw I just noticed I typed wrongly, should be 1) and go bt timah.

yea gfoo now u realize the complication of having a kid :)

the nicer part of bt timah is not only central, quiet, not crowded, and is also within 1km to some gd schools too.

nice place to live; not so sure abt upside though.

smallant
11-11-10, 15:50
Extreme : Sell everything... Go China ! Live Like a King !

mantrix
11-11-10, 15:53
Extreme : Sell everything... Go China ! Live Like a King !

China more expensive leh...live like a pauper maybe. Should go malaysia or thailand or even indonesia.

But I agree, what he suggested are not extremes (still live in Bukit timah? HDB masionette? How can those be extremes?)

stalingrad
11-11-10, 15:59
China more expensive leh...live like a pauper maybe. Should go malaysia or thailand or even indonesia.

But I agree, what he suggested are not extremes (still live in Bukit timah? HDB masionette? How can those be extremes?)

Extremes would be living in a good class bungalow at Nassim road and living under a flyover at Woodlands.

gfoo
11-11-10, 16:07
Extremes would be living in a good class bungalow at Nassim road and living under a flyover at Woodlands.

harlow i'm not as rich as many of you - to me that's a difference between $3m and $700k - over $2m cash in hand or cash outlay leh. so to me, those are extremes lor.

if i can reach GCB nassim status i happy liao.

devilplate
11-11-10, 16:13
harlow i'm not as rich as many of you - to me that's a difference between $3m and $700k - over $2m cash in hand or cash outlay leh. so to me, those are extremes lor.

if i can reach GCB nassim status i happy liao.

consider ppty nearer to upp bukit timah? sterling is a nice project with spacious layout...nice good sized yard+maid room and cost less den 2mil for a 3bedder now....however, no balcony if u fancy one...

kane
11-11-10, 16:17
balcony is likely to be a wasted space when you have young children. cos that area is dangerous, you'd probably enclose the living room with grills cos you can't grill up the balcony. Once you do that, very naturally, your utilisation for the balcony drops.

amk
11-11-10, 16:27
consider ppty nearer to upp bukit timah? sterling is a nice project with spacious layout...nice good sized yard+maid room and cost less den 2mil for a 3bedder now....however, no balcony if u fancy one...
some units have balcony;

but this end is not a very nice part of Bt Timah. Very crowded. jam in dunrean/bt timah road everyday. Should try the other end. ;)

gfoo
11-11-10, 16:30

need a 4 bedder lah, 3 bedder i might as well stay put.

that area ain't too nice, the bukit timah i am thinking of will have to be within 1km of scgs.

DC33_2008
11-11-10, 17:08
The Trevose or Trevose Park may suit you. It is less than 400m from SCGS.

that area ain't too nice, the bukit timah i am thinking of will have to be within 1km of scgs.

spikey69
11-11-10, 18:15

Trevose, trevose park, equatorial, capri, element, anything in Balmoral, Ewe Boon Road.

Been there, stayed there, sold it off and now at the other end of bt timah (or soon to be).

duckweed
11-11-10, 18:26
i like trevose park.

Wild Falcon
11-11-10, 18:35
Selectively read news or what? The first parang attack in July 2010 resulting in DEATH was at Orchard area D9. Apparently some of the bushes along Orchard Road are parang hiding grounds.

The gangs are everywhere. Sometimes I really think the bros here really don't keep track of news.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100723-228532.html

Wild Falcon
11-11-10, 18:45
Buy an undervalued mass/mid market (they still exist if you bother to look) and invest in another undervalued mass market that gives good yields - timing is important. The one you're staying should be the place you like at the right size and the investment property should be supported by fundamentals like yields or future development. I wouldn't touch HDB as it severely limits your ability to invest in private property in the future.

The balance money buy a nice performance car - nobody will take second look at your Merc or BMW sedan - in fact nowadays you see more of such cars than a Mazda 6 (just randomly select a mid-sized Jap car and it's more rare than a BMW 5 series). And if there is still a lot of balance, then start a business and do something that you enjoy for the rest of your life.

2) Downgrade to HDB maisonette, renovate w couple of hundred grand to make it livable. Can retire for life, but confirm lose $$ on paper although just a couple of hundred k at most?

amk
11-11-10, 19:15
Buy an undervalued mass/mid market (they still exist if you bother to look) and invest in another undervalued mass market that gives good yields

"undervalued" mass market, even if it exists, is quite likely not nice to live in. Being central means a lot of other things, for example u lose less time of your life stuck in a one hour jam daily. Also the peace and quietness for a home. I'm not saying mass market is no good, but if one can afford, like gfoo who certainly does, one should spend more on a quality home to live in. After that, if there are spare cash and one is game for it, go play pty or stocks by all means, mass market or otherwise.

Being just 15mins away to almost everything is a very nice thing to have. The time saved is priceless. Gfoo I can tell u one thing, young kids cannot stay still/calm in a car for more than 20mins. Make sure ur drive to anywhere lasts no more than that :) (I can tell u r a caring dad)

Wild I have not even taken 1km to gd school into consideration...

mantrix
11-11-10, 19:22
Gfoo you bought a prime district property and it went up by 2M in appreciation? Or struck enbloc jackpot?

Can get a duplex in a suburban are - roughly twice the amount of an EM but you live well...

teddybear
11-11-10, 19:40
That is in a commercial area, not residential. Never heard that gangs ever gather in a Orchard private condo estate, if got please let us know. However, the gangs gathering in HDB estates, public facilities like football field, basketball courts and then hacking passers-by are very real as shown in newspapers! :scared-3:
Similarly, if your private condo estates are beside HDB estates, better be careful!!! :scared-2: (If you live in Orchard, no scare because there isn't any HDB flat within 1km distance all around!). :cheers1:
If you live in some private condos in OCR, better check out the estates and the surroundings a few times to see what sort of people live in and hang around the common facilities because I had experienced seeing youngsters sniffing something (looks like glues) in those compounds!

Selectively read news or what? The first parang attack in July 2010 resulting in DEATH was at Orchard area D9. Apparently some of the bushes along Orchard Road are parang hiding grounds.

The gangs are everywhere. Sometimes I really think the bros here really don't keep track of news.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100723-228532.html

stalingrad
11-11-10, 19:41
"undervalued" mass market, even if it exists, is quite likely not nice to live in. Being central means a lot of other things, for example u lose less time of your life stuck in a one hour jam daily. Also the peace and quietness for a home. I'm not saying mass market is no good, but if one can afford, like gfoo who certainly does, one should spend more on a quality home to live in. After that, if there are spare cash and one is game for it, go play pty or stocks by all means, mass market or otherwise.

Being just 15mins away to almost everything is a very nice thing to have. The time saved is priceless. Gfoo I can tell u one thing, young kids cannot stay still/calm in a car for more than 20mins. Make sure ur drive to anywhere lasts no more than that :) (I can tell u r a caring dad)

you don't need to live in CBD to save time. we live in Carabelle at west coast. my wife works at shenton way. she spent only 20-25 minutes commuting each way, by west coast highway.

Wolverine23
11-11-10, 20:11
aiyoh....just buy Oxley area. Confirm no illegal gangs there!
:)

Wild Falcon
11-11-10, 20:37
He did give me an impression he prefers a fairly spacious unit >1700psf and still have some leftovers for other luxuries in life. That is why I suggested mass/mid for his primary abode. Anyway, the condos within 1km of SCGS is probably only mid market and not luxury. And I don't agree staying in the suburbs is poor quality of life. To each his own :) Everyone has different lifestyle. I personally prefer a different "scenary" between my home and my workplace and enjoy the drive to work - driving is a very personal "me time" that I enjoy. (oops! I note you mention kids.Then chauffering kids around will make driving a nightmare I guess - but it's not the driving experience, it's the kids).

I recall a bro in this forum mentioned there is hardly difference in lifestyle between someone who has $1.5 million in net assets with $1.0 million stuck in property, and another person with double the net worth at $3 million in net assets and $2.5 million stuck in primary residence. Each theoretically only has $500k to enjoy other things in life.

Wild Falcon
11-11-10, 20:51
Your logic never fail to amuse me. So downtown east is not commericial area and Orchard is commercial area and therefore very safe? Orchard also has residential just within 500m of the slashing site at Cavanagh and Cairnhill right? The slashing also happens at a public space with eateries and clinics etc. Just because Orchard Road doesn't have a basketball court doesn't make it more safe. The gang fights and slashing happen at that locality as well - which means the gangs are quite widespread.

That is in a commercial area, not residential. Never heard that gangs ever gather in a Orchard private condo estate, if got please let us know. However, the gangs gathering in HDB estates, public facilities like football field, basketball courts and then hacking passers-by are very real as shown in newspapers! :scared-3:
Similarly, if your private condo estates are beside HDB estates, better be careful!!! :scared-2: (If you live in Orchard, no scare because there isn't any HDB flat within 1km distance all around!). :cheers1:
If you live in some private condos in OCR, better check out the estates and the surroundings a few times to see what sort of people live in and hang around the common facilities because I had experienced seeing youngsters sniffing something (looks like glues) in those compounds!

amk
11-11-10, 20:56
you don't need to live in CBD to save time

True, but more often than not, u need to. (I'm not familiar with west coast so cannot comment). How long does it take to go to united square for ur kid's enrichment class ?;) Or plaza singapura for the yamaha music course ? ;) Or botanic garden for a casual walk ? ;)

mantrix
11-11-10, 21:01
True, but more often than not, u need to. (I'm not familiar with west coast so cannot comment). How long does it take to go to united square for ur kid's enrichment class ?;) Or plaza singapura for the yamaha music course ? ;) Or botanic garden for a casual walk ? ;)

Music courses, kids' classes, garden walks...all these can be found everywhere, like in the heartlands?

teddybear
11-11-10, 21:01
or to some good schools in or near BT?
Those people who has not lived in this enclave would never appreciate all these that we are enjoying everyday..........:p

Wild Falcon
11-11-10, 21:10
If it's weekend - it is a breeze driving to these places. Yamaha is not the only or the best music school. And Yamaha has a few branches right? And if one stays at West Coast, can go West Coast Park with huge playground and wonderful place to fly kites. A lot of open fields are converted to kite flying areas in the suburbs - it is a different of childhood that a parent who only knows how to send children to structured enrichment class A-Z can never comprehend.

But seriously, is it ALWAYS about the kids? So spend more on primary abode, take on larger leverage and debt, so that kids can save 5 minutes of travelling time? No wonder nowadays the kids like to join gangs - their parents pamper them too much such that there is no longer any "challenge" or "excitement" or "hardship" in life. Everything is fed to them on a platter. Let the child rough up a bit lah. 5 minutes extra of car ride is not going to make a big difference to your child development.

BTW, there is a Yamaha in Clementi that is closer to West Coast that Nassim is to Plaza Sing minus the crazy parking nightmare. Drive around and lose your way occasionally and explore Singapore (sans the kids) lah.

gfoo
11-11-10, 21:19

exactly what my wife said. she doesn't want to sell the place as we feel it's still undervalued - and where we are right now is truly minutes away from infant care, orchard, etc etc. Marina Link Mall also just opened so now we have access to spa, nice restaurants, and a supermarket in the basement.

If i sell now, i add 2 in cash to the overall kitty, and free up cpf balance to easily pay off 30-50% of a new apartment, gain space, and perhaps solve my daughter's future primary school problem. i already have quite ok savings, so the additional cash is really just another bunch of digits. I will never buy stocks or bonds, and am already heavy into gold/silver. the only other car that catches my eye as an upgrade to my current is the rapide so not changing yet. i get more pleasure buying medal of honor than another lange or patek at this stage. (honestly i dun know how or why our ministers need so high salaries - you reach a stage where marginal utility sets in. every month they buy a faberge issit?)

like i said, now at crossroads. if it was just me and wife, i'll stay put. now got daughter, i must think ahead and give her at least the same opportunities my parents/grandparents gave me.

Geylang OKT
11-11-10, 21:30
Cum to Geylang lah. 100% guaranteed unsafe! :D :D :D

teddybear
11-11-10, 21:42
You can't read English is it? I already said commercial everybody can go there, including the gangs, to do funny things, so that Orchard Plaza, Downtown East are all commercial areas. On the other hand, can the gangs just walk-in and gather in the private condos? May be in your private estate yes but in others. (I really wonder what sort of private estate you live in! :doh: - That sounds like the HDB estates and the public facilities there where the gangs are slashing and hacking even passers-by!). Orchard has private basketball courts, tennis courts - that is the difference! :p

Your logic never fail to amuse me. So downtown east is not commericial area and Orchard is commercial area and therefore very safe? Orchard also has residential just within 500m of the slashing site at Cavanagh and Cairnhill right? The slashing also happens at a public space with eateries and clinics etc. Just because Orchard Road doesn't have a basketball court doesn't make it more safe. The gang fights and slashing happen at that locality as well - which means the gangs are quite widespread.

teddybear
11-11-10, 21:53
Really a breeze? Try driving along the CTE, jam at anytime, even during weekends! Many other places in OCR also same nowadays, jam here jam there jam everywhere, so need to be close by to cut down travelling time :banghead:.

Yamaha schools? You know only selected locations have best teachers? (You can guess where lah - 1 clue, such not in OCR locations). :p

Can that West Coast Park be any replacement for Botanic Garden? :scared-1:

Don't talk as though everybody who send their kids to those good schools in BT need to take leverage and too much debts. Don't understand why you have such mentality. A person who can't make it doesn't means others cannot make it. You try living in Punggol and see whether you save 5 mins or 1 hour per 1 way trip to good school (e.g. in BT)? Multiply that 2 times a day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year = 400 hours per kid! (haven't include time taken to send them to enrichment classes!).

As I mentioned above, go 1 place in Yamaha you get best teachers, the others? well you guess. Can all their teachers be equally good?

If it's weekend - it is a breeze driving to these places. Yamaha is not the only or the best music school. And Yamaha has a few branches right? And if one stays at West Coast, can go West Coast Park with huge playground and wonderful place to fly kites. A lot of open fields are converted to kite flying areas in the suburbs - it is a different of childhood that a parent who only knows how to send children to structured enrichment class A-Z can never comprehend.

But seriously, is it ALWAYS about the kids? So spend more on primary abode, take on larger leverage and debt, so that kids can save 5 minutes of travelling time? No wonder nowadays the kids like to join gangs - their parents pamper them too much such that there is no longer any "challenge" or "excitement" or "hardship" in life. Everything is fed to them on a platter. Let the child rough up a bit lah. 5 minutes extra of car ride is not going to make a big difference to your child development.

BTW, there is a Yamaha in Clementi that is closer to West Coast that Nassim is to Plaza Sing minus the crazy parking nightmare. Drive around and lose your way occasionally and explore Singapore (sans the kids) lah.

teddybear
11-11-10, 21:54
At the time your wife spend 20-25 mins to commute there, I need only 5 mins. :p

you don't need to live in CBD to save time. we live in Carabelle at west coast. my wife works at shenton way. she spent only 20-25 minutes commuting each way, by west coast highway.

mcmlxxvi
11-11-10, 22:10

Why wanna downgrade? Upgrade not an option?

Lord Anus
12-11-10, 02:48
At the time your wife spend 20-25 mins to commute there, I need only 5 mins. :p

5 mins... you suffer from premature ejaculation ar? poor bear bear.. doctors say watching porn can cure your sickness, you know?

stalingrad
12-11-10, 07:12

we have asia music school at west coast plaza. We take a walk and jog, and play at the sand pits at west coast park. We have nus university town nearby, where we go see a movie or have a game or two of bowling.

why pay 2000psf for all what you said.

teddybear
12-11-10, 07:14
:confused: You know where I stay? My place to Shenton Way in 5mins why not? :tongue3:

Who knighted you "Lord"? :scared-4: Why "Anuls"? You got annulled too many times (the "duck" equivalent of Annabel Chong?) that they the big white dicks "knighted" you their "LORD"? :doh:

5 mins... you suffer from premature ejaculation ar? poor bear bear.. doctors say watching porn can cure your sickness, you know?

Geylang OKT
12-11-10, 08:19
Hmm.... Peace be to All :eek: :eek: :eek:

DC33_2008
12-11-10, 08:32
Garment is trying to encourage people to live, work and play at their own vicinity. Less travel means less traffic jam, less pollution, kids do not need to wait up so early to get to school, etc. Some may prefer West Coast while others may prefer CBD. There is no right or wrong. Good to have a few homes and move when needs arises. Otherwise, rent them out.

stalingrad
12-11-10, 09:10
Garment is trying to encourage people to live, work and play at their own vicinity. Less travel means less traffic jam, less pollution, kids do not need to wait up so early to get to school, etc. Some may prefer West Coast while others may prefer CBD. There is no right or wrong. Good to have a few homes and move when needs arises. Otherwise, rent them out.
exactly. that is why condo prices at CBD are stagnant, and prices at outlying areas have doubled since 2007.

I honestly can't think of a reason for going to orchard road. the floods there are not helping either. We have not been there for years.

amk
12-11-10, 19:24
Staling no doubt ur area is good too :)
Just that, being local, a few things cannot help. Like teddy said, there is only one yamaha center that has the best teachers. Schooling, no matter what ppl said, like all schools are the same etc, the sad fact is, there is a difference. I fully understand gfoo's concern as a parent. Seriously traveling 1hr per trip per day is no joke for a kid.

Wild, some nicer parts of bt timah look like country home, tranquil and peaceful, no road noise, with fresh air, very diff from work. E.g. Those houses along university rd, or along victoria park. Weekend stroll along the pathways, or walking the dogs. Quite nice. No I dun stay there.;)

U know u use money to buy life and time, not the other way round. Primary abode should be the most important expenditure of one's life. At least in asia context.

Wild maybe u could help by suggesting some mass market areas that look gd too ? Stalingrad at least proposes something...

stalingrad
12-11-10, 19:51
west coast is the only mass condo enclave worth buying into:

woodlands: HDB heartland, gang, malaysia, unsafe
changi: you gotta be kidding
jurong: smell bad, and gang
yue kee: HDB everywhere, gang
upper bukit timah, bad traffic
punggol: bad air, bad traffic
east coast: nice, but traffic horrible, and floods

if I win a lottery, I will buy into nassim road, otherwise, I will stay in west coast.

xebay11
12-11-10, 20:57
west coast is the only mass condo enclave worth buying into:

woodlands: HDB heartland, gang, malaysia, unsafe
changi: you gotta be kidding
jurong: smell bad, and gang
yue kee: HDB everywhere, gang
upper bukit timah, bad traffic
punggol: bad air, bad traffic
east coast: nice, but traffic horrible, and floods

if I win a lottery, I will buy into nassim road, otherwise, I will stay in west coast.

Why never say that in West Coast enclave, Carabelle is the best? :D :D Jurong Island and AYE air never smelt so up close and personal. I guess since you have never lived in East Coast you have nothing to compare the dust levels in your condo.

990113d03
12-11-10, 21:14
Why Changi got to be kidding? Whats wrong with Changi?

rattydrama
12-11-10, 22:14
If in my 30s, I will take some risk and challenges. Life is meaningless and boring if there is little spikes and spices. calculated risk. we only live once.

If in my 50s, I will tone down and enjoy life, do bird watching, fishing and go slow.. play a little stock just to keep my mind occupied.

Geylang OKT
12-11-10, 22:28
changi village got chow ah kuas... and probably too far from the city I guess :D

990113d03
13-11-10, 08:09
Ic... i think chow ah kuas better than jurong ah nei FT... Latest heard Keppel Lakefront selling at $1200psf... think lakeside is as far as changi to city... actually tamah jurong area near lakeside, the hdb flats are super cheap, many rental flats for ah nei FT... really wonder whts the hype over that area?

rattydrama
13-11-10, 08:15
Jurong is huge and this launch comes after 1.5 years wait.

Ic... i think chow ah kuas better than jurong ah nei FT... Latest heard Keppel Lakefront selling at $1200psf... think lakeside is as far as changi to city... actually tamah jurong area near lakeside, the hdb flats are super cheap, many rental flats for ah nei FT... really wonder whts the hype over that area?

melodies
13-11-10, 08:40
The hype is: This is now 1 of the cheapest area in Singapore! :p

kingkong1984
13-11-10, 11:11
Cheapest is no good, smallest is better.

mcmlxxvi
13-11-10, 13:08
Music courses, kids' classes, garden walks...all these can be found everywhere, like in the heartlands?

Pls lor. Are you people in the right click not. The real atas have private piano violin etc tuition at home. Where got go Yamaha one....geez

mcmlxxvi
13-11-10, 13:13

The kids today are horrendously spoilt. Expect to be chaffeured point to point. Some who have grown up into teens or twenties i hear they find anything beyond 3 mins walk to mrt a no no. Due to lack of holistic exercise u will see more n more young people with big upper bodies (gym and dragonboat fads) with tweetie bird legs like twigs who lament after walking 1 min. Unless its walking amongst shops in aircon in Ion.

We grew up taking public buses from Bedok to Clementi with bus drivers who machiam F1 drivers and people get thrown from bus front end to the back and vice versa. And did i mention no aircon???

rattydrama
13-11-10, 13:23
cannot compare liao. Kids now got membership in the work out center and dance school... its lifestyle transformation when we have more and more rich dads and kids around.

As a prudent investor, follow the crowd and buy within 200m away from MRT.

The kids today are horrendously spoilt. Expect to be chaffeured point to point. Some who have grown up into teens or twenties i hear they find anything beyond 3 mins walk to mrt a no no. Due to lack of holistic exercise u will see more n more young people with big upper bodies (gym and dragonboat fads) with tweetie bird legs like twigs who lament after walking 1 min. Unless its walking amongst shops in aircon in Ion.

We grew up taking public buses from Bedok to Clementi with bus drivers who machiam F1 drivers and people get thrown from bus front end to the back and vice versa. And did i mention no aircon???

amk
13-11-10, 13:41
I knew this discussion eventually will come to this, that choose to live in central is choose to be atas.. ;)

what's wrong with living in central area so to save time to (almost) everything ? to be convenient to many things like shops, parks, centers, cinemas, schools, etc ?

if one can comfortably afford it, I dun see what's the issue. primary home for me is not an investment. it's an expenditure.

for pty investment, that's something else. u do what u feel is right. mass market, mrt, whatever.

gfoo
13-11-10, 15:38
I knew this discussion eventually will come to this, that choose to live in central is choose to be atas.. ;)

what's wrong with living in central area so to save time to (almost) everything ? to be convenient to many things like shops, parks, centers, cinemas, schools, etc ?

if one can comfortably afford it, I dun see what's the issue. primary home for me is not an investment. it's an expenditure.

for pty investment, that's something else. u do what u feel is right. mass market, mrt, whatever.

wise words.

over the past couple of weeks have been showing buyers and extolling them the virtues of this place. the more i say, the more i don't wanna sell.

sigh

rattydrama
13-11-10, 15:57
Wait till they bring contractor and say want to tear down this and tear down that... change all blinds which are barely 2 year old, you lagi heartache.

Just move on.

wise words.

over the past couple of weeks have been showing buyers and extolling them the virtues of this place. the more i say, the more i don't wanna sell.

sigh

gfoo
13-11-10, 16:03
Wait till they bring contractor and say want to tear down this and tear down that... change all blinds which are barely 2 year old, you lagi heartache.

Just move on.

it's not the reno, altho $100k is poured into it and as a practice, i leave all furnishings except artwork and sculptures.

it's the surrounding amenities, location, and view that's heart pain.

teddybear
13-11-10, 17:36
Fortunately or unfortunately, properties in central areas have shown to provide best long-term capital gain and also generally high rental yield (except a small number of estates). They are also generally less susceptible to govt flooding the market with new land and new properties because the govt has very little land left in Central area (vs the suburb areas where is no lack of empty land waiting for properties to be built).

kingkong1984
13-11-10, 17:50
Tats not extreme. Extreme is to sell all and buy a govt studio on 30 yr lease. This thread has bexome buying central area. Never mind, go for MM here.

sh
13-11-10, 20:26
Fortunately or unfortunately, properties in central areas have shown to provide best long-term capital gain and also generally high rental yield (except a small number of estates). They are also generally less susceptible to govt flooding the market with new land and new properties because the govt has very little land left in Central area (vs the suburb areas where is no lack of empty land waiting for properties to be built).

The government can only flood the market with 99yr LH. The supply of FH will always be limited to the existing stock, once all the enbloc supply is absorbed

rattydrama
14-11-10, 00:55
It is possible to find a place that is of better surroundings. To me its the sentimental feeling I have for the house I stayed.

My 2.5 yr old told me repeatedly he doesn't want to move does make me ponder if I should consult him first before signing the dotted line.

it's not the reno, altho $100k is poured into it and as a practice, i leave all furnishings except artwork and sculptures.

it's the surrounding amenities, location, and view that's heart pain.

Lord Anus
14-11-10, 01:02

btw, AMK is not considered central area ar....:D

Lord Anus
14-11-10, 01:05
changi village got chow ah kuas... and probably too far from the city I guess :D

city got chow ah beng... so how? either get beaten up or get ****ed in the ass:D

Lord Anus
14-11-10, 01:08
Why never say that in West Coast enclave, Carabelle is the best? :D :D Jurong Island and AYE air never smelt so up close and personal. I guess since you have never lived in East Coast you have nothing to compare the dust levels in your condo.

chow agent. mai lai flip prata lah... u training to becum PAP man ar???:D

teddybear
14-11-10, 10:47
Are you really in the right click instead?!! pls lor:doh:
You have a very young kid? To develop a young kid's interest in music, you dont start with the solo and serious class first. You let them join a music class first and then slowly move them to individual class. Top private piano/violin tutor won't go to your home for music class no matter how rich you are....they already earn big money! Instead, you are selected (so, you must be good at first before being selected!) by them to go to their home for music class.:tsk-tsk:

Pls lor. Are you people in the right click not. The real atas have private piano violin etc tuition at home. Where got go Yamaha one....geez

tericia
14-11-10, 16:32
Are you really in the right click instead?!! pls lor:doh:
You have a very young kid? To develop a young kid's interest in music, you dont start with the solo and serious class first. You let them join a music class first and then slowly move them to individual class. Top private piano/violin tutor won't go to your home for music class no matter how rich you are....they already earn big money! Instead, you are selected (so, you must be good at first before being selected!) by them to go to their home for music class.:tsk-tsk:

guys relax, it's just music lessons.

amk
14-11-10, 18:21
gfoo u decided ? Esp. the school part ?

duckweed
14-11-10, 19:14
not sure if parc stevens is within 1km of scgs, but i like this devt, and it's in a pretty quiet locale. if choosing trevose park, don't choose the lower floor units - some can be pretty dark.

gfoo
14-11-10, 19:26
gfoo u decided ? Esp. the school part ?

school confirm aiming for SCGS. now studying the northern balmoral areas - quite a peaceful place.

i might hold off the sale of my present unit indefinitely - i suspect that luxury will finally have light of day.

rattydrama
14-11-10, 19:30
school confirm aiming for SCGS. now studying the northern balmoral areas - quite a peaceful place.

i might hold off the sale of my present unit indefinitely - i suspect that luxury will finally have light of day.

practice propertism and dont sell once u can afford.

gfoo
14-11-10, 19:36
practice propertism and dont sell once u can afford.

i am not one to accumulate multiple properties, wait, then cash out.

I'm more of a 'maximize your lifestyle, enjoy & seize the day, yet do that within your means' kind of guy.

If by buying/selling a place allows me to lead the next level of life's niceties while still keeping the same expenses ratio, i'll go for it.

happiness is everything. money is just a bunch of digits past a certain stage.

rattydrama
14-11-10, 19:48
I am more like do it now and cash out at certain stage of my life cycle. maybe collect some rentals and keep my simple lifestyle going without looking at my boss face every day but only every alternate days. :-)

I have enjoyed myself for 10 years playing and working hard and hope another 10 years of hard work suffice.:)

Agree that we should all enjoy our life to the fullest within our means at every stage of our life.

I'm more of a 'maximize your lifestyle, enjoy & seize the day, yet do that within your means' kind of guy.

If by buying/selling a place allows me to lead the next level of life's niceties while still keeping the same expenses ratio, i'll go for it.

gfoo
14-11-10, 20:04
I am more like do it now and cash out at certain stage of my life cycle. maybe collect some rentals and keep my simple lifestyle going without looking at my boss face every day but only every alternate days. :-)

I have enjoyed myself for 10 years playing and working hard and hope another 10 years of hard work suffice.:)

Agree that we should all enjoy our life to the fullest within our means at every stage of our life.

i was like that once. work super long hours, never slept, jlag all the time, mnc politicking, etc. so one day i told the md to go suck his thumb, resigned, and did my own shit. earning far far less than before, but healthier and happier!

Wild Falcon
14-11-10, 20:12
Actually you have pretty much made a decision and the original question about downgrading to HDB is moot. Your desire for your children to take ballroom classes and be in the "taitai" school (and wife has no original affiliation) kind of give you away. You don't seem like someone who will ever downgrade to HDB because from your posts, status and district number will rank very high to achieve your happiness, is that observation valid?

So just buy a place that makes you happy. Don't bother about HDB because you will never feel comfortable in one - because it will not give you the peer validation that you need.

If one is comfortable with himself, a district is but a number. But I doubt many Singaporeans can go past that, esp the "new" rich who has climbed up the socio-economic rank.

gfoo
14-11-10, 20:46
Actually you have pretty much made a decision and the original question about downgrading to HDB is moot. Your desire for your children to take ballroom classes and be in the "taitai" school (and wife has no original affiliation) kind of give you away. You don't seem like someone who will ever downgrade to HDB because from your posts, status and district number will rank very high to achieve your happiness, is that observation valid?

do not put words into my mouth about debutante balls or taitai school. i don't push for society and that's not this generation's thing anyway. anyone with a nice watch and shoes gets into the tatler nowadays. i choose scgs simply because it could be easier to get into than mgs. and ij in the east which the femmes in my family went to is now crowded out by massive injection of new residents in that area. it is unfortunate my wife has no affiliation and grandma's doesn't count.

not district number, but culture/makeup of a locality. it wouldn't have mattered much if we were still DINK - we would just stay put. But now with a child so many new considerations come up. I cannot put her thru less than what I myself have gotten as a kid. Now i find myself balancing space requirements, with a safe and friendly neighbourhood, 1km, free cash for opportunity expenditure, even hedging for inflation planning.

I still think that downgrading was a good exercise as it made me think thru which was more important: double my financial reserves to the extent of very early retirement; but exposing the child to unsavory elements/social types. i'm still thinking hard. and a new spanner was added to the works this weekend - migration out of this place.

i seek advice from those senior to me that had to go through the same thing - people like amk etc - and about providing the best one can for the family. i am not here to debate with you who's nouveau riche or old money (that's so 1980s), at least not with the likes of you.

Wild Falcon
14-11-10, 21:22
Sometimes you just cannot see yourself. It's true. And no one will ever tell you. It's by little observation of the things you say that one can tell a person's preference.

Really, it is crystal clear to me you have already made up your mind even before you made the post. Clearly, HDB was NEVER an option - is there HDB within 1km of SCGS?

And what you need is validation and anyone who validated blah blah is the best place to stay near music class blah blah and no other music school in other parts of SG is GREAT advice right? Anyone who says anything that is slightly less mainstream (buy HDB) will not be entertained.

You have already made up your mind.

You will NEVER go to the extreme - the thread is irrelevant. It is crystal clear.

Geylang OKT
14-11-10, 21:36
During my secondary skool days, we liked the scgs uniform best because it was rather revealing. Many other all girl skools wore prim and proper pinafore uniforms (e.g. chij, sac, kc,st nicholas etc). I remember too that mgs girls wore the most dowdy uniforms, then and even till now :D :D :D

Nestor
15-11-10, 09:22
Interestingly we're in the same juncture in life even though we are of vastly different social and financial status...

I kinda understand the amount of stuff gfoo have to consider in making a decision.... Since I am somewhat already positioned at your 2nd choice, I can only suggest going for your first choice since that is where I am trying to get to...

Whatever the case is if it's happiness you're going after, then you probably have already figured out that your decision must be based on which will make the entire family happy, with your wife's happiness being an (very) important factor... difference in opinion will almost definitely wreck havoc later.. your definition of family might differ (some include grandparents and some don't)

For me I've made up my mind already but I shall not hijack your thread on my business :D

Geylang OKT
15-11-10, 10:44
Hmm.... imho grandparents are part of the extended family. If you go by HDB definitions, family = parents and children (sans grandparents). Family nucleus husband and wife can oredi :D

amk
15-11-10, 11:28
wild what is so wrong staying ard central ?

teddybear
15-11-10, 11:54
He already said a lot about what is wrong! Let me help him to summarize since he has been repeating don't know how many times already:
- To him, to stay ard Central is totally morally wrong, elitists, and you are over-stretching yourselves and taking too much debt and is stupid to do so because what if you lose your job or need emergency fund that has been tied up in property?
- Now, even if you can afford it, you are trying to impress other people, trying to be atas, thinking that status comes with the district number and status and you are just plain vain.
If you send you kids to good schools like SCGS, you are going to train your child to be taitai and giving them too much goodness, being too elitists, surround them with all the well-to-do kids (he should send his kids to study in Africa's school instead? :p)
- If you insist that there is nothing wrong, he will slander you all the way :gun4:

wild what is so wrong staying ard central ?

hopeful
15-11-10, 12:44
Where's Tanumi when you need him/her/it?
gfoo, why don't u move to DBR?

Anyway, I agree with Wild Falcon. You have more or less made up your mind.
Given your collection of artwork, your BMW car (X6 if remember correctly), comments in other threads,
very much unlikely to move to HDB. It is indeed too extreme for you.

DC33_2008
15-11-10, 12:55
Track the % price increase in the last 10 years, you will know where to invest.
He already said a lot about what is wrong! Let me help him to summarize since he has been repeating don't know how many times already:
- To him, to stay ard Central is totally morally wrong, elitists, and you are over-stretching yourselves and taking too much debt and is stupid to do so because what if you lose your job or need emergency fund that has been tied up in property?
- Now, even if you can afford it, you are trying to impress other people, trying to be atas, thinking that status comes with the district number and status and you are just plain vain.
If you send you kids to good schools like SCGS, you are going to train your child to be taitai and giving them too much goodness, being too elitists, surround them with all the well-to-do kids (he should send his kids to study in Africa's school instead? :p)
- If you insist that there is nothing wrong, he will slander you all the way :gun4:

devilplate
15-11-10, 13:17
Care to share how u gona check past ten yrs record??

Nestor
15-11-10, 13:53
Care to share how u gona check past ten yrs record??

Yeah I'm interested to know as well

focus
15-11-10, 13:54

Since you're at it..
can help provide the % price increase in the last 10yrs of similarly located HDB versus Condo. :p

hopeful
15-11-10, 14:06
why are people here so lazy?

Perhaps DC33 has been a long time property investor, he compile his own data from various sources.

A tip for you, ctrl-c, ctrl-v. Excel 2007 is compatible with Excel 97.

From now on, all of you can keep track yourself for your favorite areas.

Lord Anus
16-11-10, 00:05

boss. where do your parents live?

most ACS guys i know have parents who own landed property in bukit timah / holland.

mine had (still have) a landed within 1 km of SCGS so that's where my sisters went. if i had a daughter, that's where she'll go too (use ancestral home as residential address).

good luck boss.

hopeful
16-11-10, 11:51
boss. where do your parents live?
good luck boss.

your nick fits you well :rolleyes:

Lord Anus
16-11-10, 12:55
huh? i was just pointing out what many people with parents who own houses around there do. nothing wrong with that wat? SCGS girls... if you checked their info, most have landed addresses in bukit timah and holland. i know cause my sis studied there. not sure if it is still the same.

hopeful
16-11-10, 13:14
huh? i was just pointing out what many people with parents who own houses around there do. nothing wrong with that wat? SCGS girls... if you checked their info, most have landed addresses in bukit timah and holland. i know cause my sis studied there. not sure if it is still the same.

nothing wrong with you pointing out people owning houses and such.
calling boss is like being a sycophant. :tsk-tsk: (unless he is really your boss)
and with your nick being that, kind of remind people about licking the boss shyt hole.

Geylang OKT
16-11-10, 22:09
:D :D :D

Hmm......

teddybear
16-11-10, 22:31
:confused::D He still haven't said who knighted him? Shouldn't the Lord's boss be the "Queen"? :p

nothing wrong with you pointing out people owning houses and such.
calling boss is like being a sycophant. :tsk-tsk: (unless he is really your boss)
and with your nick being that, kind of remind people about licking the boss shyt hole.

Geylang OKT
16-11-10, 22:36
:confused::D He still haven't said who knighted him? Shouldn't the Lord's boss be the "Queen"? :p

Who? Freddy Mercury? :D

Lord Anus
16-11-10, 23:04

queen gfoo!

yes sir biggest big boss teddybear!

gfoo
17-11-10, 09:13
ninahmiah lol

new2mondrian
17-11-10, 10:20
Gfoo,

Honestly I wouldn't suggest a hdb for you. It is really out of character for you or your wife to move from the sail into a hdb, especially considering that the MOP these days is 3 years. You guys will be practically stuck for 3 years in the hdb before moving out again.

As for unsavory characters, at the end of the day it all boils down to how much time and effort the parents are willing to spend on and with the child especially during the formative years. To me, parental involvement in inculcating the right values, providing a nurturing home environment, leading by example, and spending time to know and mould the child's character is far more important than the home address. I stay in a hdb myself. And I find tonnes of teaching opportunities for my child. He helps the old auntie upstairs water and weed her plants whenever she's unwell. From the funerals (which can get really noisy esp for Taoist ones) held at our void deck downstairs, i get to teach him about old age and death, and also the need for empathy and mutual tolerance. He bakes cookies with the Malay family next door. He bakes Christmas cookies with me on weekends and shares them with the old folks down the corridor. Everything is hand made in our household.

At the end of the day, bringing up a child is not easy. But being involved as parents, you get to know his friends, the parents of his friends, and the kind of company the child mixes with to intervene if neccessary. Condo living does not guarantee the child mixing with the right company. At the end of the day, parental involvement is still key. A lot of kids stray to the wrong side due to lack of parental support and involvement since young, and not due to the type of dwelling they live in. My two cents.

cheerful
17-11-10, 10:38
I think MOP for HDB is now 5 years. Cheers!

hopeful
18-11-10, 08:00
.......He helps the old auntie upstairs water and weed her plants whenever she's unwell........
.......He bakes Christmas cookies with me on weekends and shares them with the old folks down the corridor.....

Is the child reimbursed for the services rendered?
Are we teaching our kids the wrong values? That we can get something for nothing. Perhaps the child would be taught that when he/she needs help, there would be some kind volunteer willing to help him/her, which of course in the real world, is much unlikely.
Didn't our beloved MM said "nothing is for free".

Are parents ok when the children grow up to be full-time volunteers, spending time in 3rd world poverty stricken countries, and volunteers getting kidnap and shot in places like Afghanistan?

gfoo
18-11-10, 10:22
Just watched this documentary on iTunes (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/lottery/) - it follows the thoughts and trials of parents not accepting the status quo, and wanting only the best for their kids. They have lottery for good schools, we call it balloting in Singaproe.

The key quote i got from the show:

"If you have a kid, you have a responsibility to do good by them, to make sure they have the very best. And you have the responsibility to try your very best and not settle for less. Otherwise you just ain't no dang good"

I completely respect the views of the many well intentioned here. But I'm calling an apple an apple.

For the good majority of the population, they stay in HDB not because of choice, but because of economic circumstance. HDB to them is their primary shelter. For many people in this forum, HDB is an investment for rental yield; and for others the fact they are in this forum shows they are looking to exercise their means to live private property. Most of you are thus, already 'there'.

new2mondrian raises great points, but i cannot subject my kid to a scenario where the laws of probability are stacked against it. she probably stays in what sounds to be a really great hdb estate - but such estates are very very few and far in-between.

Quality time and effort at home is a given. But it is the time and quality of exposure that the kid gets outside of home (in school, etc) that must perpetuate the same high standards in one's home environment.

probability and statistics show that amongst the lower income and certain segments of society, there is a higher propensity for miscreant behaviour. whether singapore, US or anywhere else - this is prevalent everywhere. and this forms congregations of negative culture in estates and schools - a culture of acceptance of the norms; a 'can do just relak' attitude; a culture of mediocrity, of 'pass can already, coz they can't do any better'.

baking cookies with a malay family living in the semi-d opposite or condo apartment next door gives one the assurance of similar economic and hopefully, similar standards of excellence - so that's reassuring. Baking cookies with a family living in a hdb next door opens the uncertainty of a huge gulf in economic status and standards of excellence. It then becomes a risk - while the granny is ok, what about her kids or grandchildren? kids at a young age learn from mimicry and are impressionable. New2mondrian benefitted from drawing the right straw and no doubt her kid is a better person from it.

But what if you draw the wrong end of the lottery and some neighbour turns out to be a druggie/dropout/miscreant etc? Yes this might also happen in a condo, but probability states that the risks are more so in HDB estates, and amongst certain cultures. The same applies for schools, and even more so because a good part of the kid's day is spent there, and the school experience forms an important part of social engineering.

In every investment, we learn that time is money, and that the best way to profit is to take calculated risks, unless you are willing to lose your investment then take bigger risks for more gain.

Unfortunately for kids, you only have one shot - and a limited amount of time which once gone, can never be regained.

So yes, after thinking real hard, going back to HDB but being able to retire is great for me, but a cop-out for my kid. I was selfish, and being really lazy. In return for more digits in the bank, i was contemplating handicapping her.

You guys can call and criticize me all you want, but if those blacks in the documentary can stand up against the norms and naivete of their community, and do so much just to get their kids into a good school - i with my resources have an obligation to do more for my kid.

hopeful
18-11-10, 10:44
gfoo, i am confused.

you did say fxxx oxx to your boss in MNC, now doing your own thing earning less income.
you did considered downgrade to HDB so have more digits in bank acct.

why not has both worlds?
go back to MNC so have more digits in bank acct.
with more moolah, no need to downgrade so family can stay in more upclass area.
In the meantime, family time with kids, wife maintained the same amount of quality and quantity.
The downside is gfoo has less personal time, more stress, and probably died earlier.
Won't this be the best parent?

mantrix
18-11-10, 10:47
Then why start the thread in the first place??

gfoo
18-11-10, 11:12
Then why start the thread in the first place??
good exercise to put things into perspective mah

august
18-11-10, 12:32
good exercise to put things into perspective mah

give gd conditions to kid, but kid also needs to put in own effort
so solution is...

stay put at Sail..
enrol kid in atas sch using rental address
make kid travel long distance to and fro from school.. gd training for kid

:p

rattydrama
18-11-10, 21:34
Don’t blame it. People in this forum benefited from it. Sometimes we are at the crossroad. A lot of time, we made decisions base on our experience in life but the smarter ones will think through the advice of others of different background/experience/social status and go through the whole thinking process again. They are just being prudent.

In fact, before we ask the question, we have more or less decided what we want to do. However, we just want to invite criticism to adjust ourselves better in accepting what we have decided deep down.

It is still better than without thinking through and blame ourselves at a later stage of our life for ignoring it.

I think the intention of starting this thread should not be criticized and it does not demonstrate weakness.

valkri
19-11-10, 12:55
.... But I'm calling an apple an apple....

commendable effort and patience trying to explain such understanding which is a given. most would not bother at all ...

Laguna
20-11-10, 20:56
The upbringing of children does not depend on what sort of home address. A child needs to learn the good and the bad.

I downgraded from private to HDB just to stay near to the school of choice. My daughter stayed in China town NY rather than mid town during her college days. Somehow, I believe bring up the children in a "lower" income group, can build the children a stronger value and better foundation in term of dealings with people and fighting for a living. Giving them good life from young, perhaps, may not be good for them as take thing for granted easily.

To share the result after 20 years of experiment

My daughter : a very successful story in term of maturity, independence, and earning capacity.
My son : a half successful story, as he is a spender.

LOL

Komo
21-11-10, 10:27
The upbringing of children does not depend on what sort of home address. A child needs to learn the good and the bad.

I downgraded from private to HDB just to stay near to the school of choice. My daughter stayed in China town NY rather than mid town during her college days. Somehow, I believe bring up the children in a "lower" income group, can build the children a stronger value and better foundation in term of dealings with people and fighting for a living. Giving them good life from young, perhaps, may not be good for them as take thing for granted easily.

To share the result after 20 years of experiment

My daughter : a very successful story in term of maturity, independence, and earning capacity.
My son : a half successful story, as he is a spender.

LOL

Condo or hdb, upbringing and parental care definitely most important of all.:D :D