PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Noise Level

KC76
17-11-10, 08:22
Some condos faces roads, some faces pool, some faces hawker centre, etc. What is the tolerable noise level in a condo unit? I understand that most units have a decibel level of 50 to 70.

Comments?

DC33_2008
17-11-10, 09:10
It also depends on the frequency. Noise generated from jet plane (near airbase) and vehicular traffic (Expressway) is different.
Some condos faces roads, some faces pool, some faces hawker centre, etc. What is the tolerable noise level in a condo unit? I understand that most units have a decibel level of 50 to 70.

Comments?

mcmlxxvi
17-11-10, 11:05

Comments?

I was trained sound engineer. I think 50 to 70 db is very high for ambient noise! Facing busy road or expressway?

mcmlxxvi
17-11-10, 11:09
Traffic noise hurts
September 9, 2009*|* 4:00 pm

The rumbling of cars, trucks and trains isn't just annoying, it can raise your blood pressure. A study appearing today in the journal Environmental Health found that people exposed to high levels of noise from roads near their homes are more likely to report suffering from chronic hypertension.

"Road traffic is the most important source of community noise," said the lead author of the study, Theo Bodin, from Lund University Hospital, Sweden,*in a news release. "We found that exposure above 60 decibels was associated with high blood pressure among the relatively young and middle-aged, an important risk factor for cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack and stroke."

The researchers surveyed more than 24,000 adults living in Sweden. Based on the participants' home addresses, information was obtained about average road noise at their homes. The study found a modest link between hypertension and average traffic noise between 45 and 65 decibels. But the link grew stronger with higher levels of noise. The risk of hypertension was highest in relatively young or middle-aged people, whereas no effects were seen in the oldest age group.

Many urban dwellers experience traffic noise levels of 55 decibels or more, the authors note. And those numbers are growing.

-- Shari Roan, LA Times

mcmlxxvi
17-11-10, 11:12
Normal conversation has a level of 60-70 dB, while sounds above about 100 dB tend to be uncomfortably loud and can damage our ears if heard for a long time. Sounds with a level above 120 dB can damage peoples' ears within a very short time, perhaps only a few minutes.

* 180 decibels, equivalent to a rocket launching pad [hearing loss inevitable].

* 140 decibels, equivalent to a gunshot blast, jet plane take-off at close range [approximately 200 feet], air raid siren [any length of exposure time is dangerous and is at the threshold of pain].

* 130 decibels, equivalent to sound vibrations felt, as with thunder or near a four-engine jet at thirty meters.

* 125 decibels, equivalent to a diesel engine room.

* 120 decibels, equivalent to an amplified rock concert in front of speakers, sand-blasting, thunderclap [immediate danger], a nearby airplane engine, some rock or hard-metal cacophony groups, pneumatic hammer at one meter, thunderclap over head [at around 120 dB, the sensation of hearing is replaced by that of pain].

* 110 decibels, equivalent to deafening factory noises and some musical boxes turned up too loudly, discotheque, thunder, rock-n-roll band.

* 108 decibels, equivalent to the coqui frog croak of Puerto Rico [up to 108 dB].

* 105 decibels, In a Malaysian surgical-glove factory, making surgical-latex gloves by dipping porcelain models of the human hand into liquid latex, which when dried, is blown off the hands by air jets. Before modifications to the air jets, the gloves were blown off every 30 seconds at a deafening 125 decibels.

* 100 decibels, equivalent to a chain saw, pneumatic drill, printing plant, jackhammer, speeding express train, some car horns at five meters, farm tractor, riveting machine, some noisy subways [about 20 feet].

* 90 decibels, equivalent to a police whistle, heavy traffic, truck traffic, noisy home appliances subway-rail train, pneumatic drill [or hammer] at one meter, walk-man ear phone [average volume], rock drill at 100 feet, some motorcycles at 25 feet, shouted conversation.

* 80 decibels, equivalent to heavy city traffic [25-50 feet], alarm clock at two feet, factory noise, vacuum cleaner, heavy truck, loud-radio music, garbage disposal.

* 70 decibels, equivalent to typewriter, average factory noise, busy traffic [at one meter], office tabulator, noisy restaurant [constant exposure], quiet vacuum cleaner, TV.

* 60 decibels, equivalent to an air conditioner at twenty feet, conversation [at one meter], sewing machine, large transformer, ordinary or average street traffic.

* 50 decibels, equivalent to quiet radio, average home, light traffic at a distance of 100 feet, refrigerator, gentle breeze, average office, non-electric typewriter, ordinary spoken voice.

* 40 decibels, equivalent to quiet office, living room, bedroom away from traffic, residential area [no traffic]; many computer hard drives range an average of 40-50 dB, soft whisper [five feet].

* 30 decibels, equivalent to quiet conversation, soft whisper, quiet suburb, speech in a broadcasting studio.

* 20 decibels, equivalent to whispering, ticking of a watch [by the ear], rural area [without loud farm machinery or other excessive noises].

* 10 decibels, equivalent to the rustling of leaves.

* 0-1 decibels, equivalent to the faintest sounds that can be heard, the threshold of audibility.

zzz1
17-11-10, 13:24
Normal conversation has a level of 60-70 dB, while sounds above about 100 dB tend to be uncomfortably loud and can damage our ears if heard for a long time. Sounds with a level above 120 dB can damage peoples' ears within a very short time, perhaps only a few minutes.

* 180 decibels, equivalent to a rocket launching pad [hearing loss inevitable].

* 140 decibels, equivalent to a gunshot blast, jet plane take-off at close range [approximately 200 feet], air raid siren [any length of exposure time is dangerous and is at the threshold of pain].

* 130 decibels, equivalent to sound vibrations felt, as with thunder or near a four-engine jet at thirty meters.

* 125 decibels, equivalent to a diesel engine room.

* 120 decibels, equivalent to an amplified rock concert in front of speakers, sand-blasting, thunderclap [immediate danger], a nearby airplane engine, some rock or hard-metal cacophony groups, pneumatic hammer at one meter, thunderclap over head [at around 120 dB, the sensation of hearing is replaced by that of pain].

* 110 decibels, equivalent to deafening factory noises and some musical boxes turned up too loudly, discotheque, thunder, rock-n-roll band.

* 108 decibels, equivalent to the coqui frog croak of Puerto Rico [up to 108 dB].

* 105 decibels, In a Malaysian surgical-glove factory, making surgical-latex gloves by dipping porcelain models of the human hand into liquid latex, which when dried, is blown off the hands by air jets. Before modifications to the air jets, the gloves were blown off every 30 seconds at a deafening 125 decibels.

* 100 decibels, equivalent to a chain saw, pneumatic drill, printing plant, jackhammer, speeding express train, some car horns at five meters, farm tractor, riveting machine, some noisy subways [about 20 feet].

* 90 decibels, equivalent to a police whistle, heavy traffic, truck traffic, noisy home appliances subway-rail train, pneumatic drill [or hammer] at one meter, walk-man ear phone [average volume], rock drill at 100 feet, some motorcycles at 25 feet, shouted conversation.

* 80 decibels, equivalent to heavy city traffic [25-50 feet], alarm clock at two feet, factory noise, vacuum cleaner, heavy truck, loud-radio music, garbage disposal.

* 70 decibels, equivalent to typewriter, average factory noise, busy traffic [at one meter], office tabulator, noisy restaurant [constant exposure], quiet vacuum cleaner, TV.

* 60 decibels, equivalent to an air conditioner at twenty feet, conversation [at one meter], sewing machine, large transformer, ordinary or average street traffic.

* 50 decibels, equivalent to quiet radio, average home, light traffic at a distance of 100 feet, refrigerator, gentle breeze, average office, non-electric typewriter, ordinary spoken voice.

* 40 decibels, equivalent to quiet office, living room, bedroom away from traffic, residential area [no traffic]; many computer hard drives range an average of 40-50 dB, soft whisper [five feet].

* 30 decibels, equivalent to quiet conversation, soft whisper, quiet suburb, speech in a broadcasting studio.

* 20 decibels, equivalent to whispering, ticking of a watch [by the ear], rural area [without loud farm machinery or other excessive noises].

* 10 decibels, equivalent to the rustling of leaves.

* 0-1 decibels, equivalent to the faintest sounds that can be heard, the threshold of audibility.

good pcs of info..

andy
17-11-10, 13:53

Comments?

I used to live on the 5th floor. My friend stayed on 17th. I noticed much more traffic noise on 17th floor. Can anyone explain why?

Nowadays traffic noise is no longer a problem. It has been eclipsed by construction site noises starting at 7am until 7pm. Can anyone explain why cranes are allowed to function during the night although the noise level is much lower.

shauntanzs
17-11-10, 14:29

Woah, transformer at 60d... Autobot or decepticon? 

rattydrama
17-11-10, 17:21
noise from main road with traffic is so far the worst experience I had. I will not buy any apartment which is along, in front or beside the Road. Local drivers are rather inconsiderate. Even I close my windows (not double glazed type) I can still hear the noise.

KC76
17-11-10, 20:34
noise from main road with traffic is so far the worst experience I had. I will not buy any apartment which is along, in front or beside the Road. Local drivers are rather inconsiderate. Even I close my windows (not double glazed type) I can still hear the noise.

Woah, but a lot of condos built beside the roads. Not ideal unless one takes the facing inwards units... but alas most likely blocked by the next block or some other developments. Best is face forest... but insects? :beats-me-man:

hyenergix
17-11-10, 20:53
Noise is relative. I have a friend who stays at Hindehe walk where a train track is located around 30 m away from his unit. When a train zoomed past, the sound was deafening to me and the windows shaked. I asked if he had heard the train, he looked at me with surprise and asked: "What train?" He is used to the noise and he couldn't hear it anymore.

mcmlxxvi
17-11-10, 20:58
Noise is relative. I have a friend who stays at Hindehe walk where a train track is located around 30 m away from his unit. When a train zoomed past, the sound was deafening to me and the windows shaked. I asked if he had heard the train, he looked at me with surprise and asked: "What train?" He is used to the noise and he couldn't hear it anymore.

Your friend is PHD?

DC33_2008
17-11-10, 20:58
This maybe due to adaptation. Age is also a factor on the sensitivity of ear to certain frequency of sound.

hyenergix
17-11-10, 21:07
Yes, more like human adapts to the surrounding. I can't smell the perfume I put in my car after several months. But my colleagues comment that they can smell my car perfume on my shirt in office.

I have seen landed properties next to petrol station car wash and they seem to co-exist peacefully. However I have also seen HDB residents who stay 50 m away and they complain about bitterly about petrol station car wash.

So whether the sound is noise depends on you...

DC33_2008
18-11-10, 08:33
Maybe landed properties always close window and leave the air-conditioner on while the HDB flat left the window open all the time.

hopeful
18-11-10, 09:17
I used to live on the 5th floor. My friend stayed on 17th. I noticed much more traffic noise on 17th floor. Can anyone explain why?

3 possible explanations:
1) 5th floor windows closed and 17th floor window opened.
2) expectation:
noise level in both cases are about the same, lets say 60dB.
people expect 5th floor to be noisier (65dB), so when reality (60dB) is lower than expectation, it sounds quieter than it really is.
people expect 17th floor to be quieter (55dB), so when reality (60dB) is higher than expectation, it sounds louder than it really is.
3) your 5th floor unit may be blocked by trees, and other noise barriers.

how come the ticking of a clock is very loud at around midnight and when we cant sleep? It is perception.
Sound levels don't just work in isolation, its relative

zzz1
18-11-10, 11:22

Nowadays traffic noise is no longer a problem. It has been eclipsed by construction site noises starting at 7am until 7pm. Can anyone explain why cranes are allowed to function during the night although the noise level is much lower.

It a matter of resonnance/harmonic frequency...

Regulators
18-11-10, 15:06
sometimes cant have the best of everything. in front of road, unblocked view with no buildings close in front. quiet facing is often blocked by the wall of another unit or the kitchen of another unit. even pool facing is noisy with all the irritating kids.

kane
18-11-10, 15:19
you can definitely get accustomed to some sounds. like buses and mrt whizzing by.

hopeful
18-11-10, 15:23
sometimes cant have the best of everything. in front of road, unblocked view with no buildings close in front. quiet facing is often blocked by the wall of another unit or the kitchen of another unit. even pool facing is noisy with all the irritating kids.

dats because most stay in mainland singapore. try staying in sentosa.

Regulators
18-11-10, 17:33
for transport noise in singapore, mrt grinding down the track at a constant rate is the most irritating. second most irritating is buses moving off from bus stop as they rev. third would be the sound of moving cars.

you can definitely get accustomed to some sounds. like buses and mrt whizzing by.

teddybear
18-11-10, 19:38
My impression is that noise which are intermittent (come and go now and then) are the most irritating (e.g. sound from MRT train passing by every few minutes). Those consistently present and not so loud (e.g. from air-cons) probably people will get used to it.

for transport noise in singapore, mrt grinding down the track at a constant rate is the most irritating. second most irritating is buses moving off from bus stop as they rev. third would be the sound of moving cars.

Regulators
18-11-10, 20:13
near mrt always has this problem. i rather stay a little bit further from mrt (but still walking distance) and don't hear the screeching of train brakes and grinding of the tracks

My impression is that noise which are intermittent (come and go now and then) are the most irritating (e.g. sound from MRT train passing by every few minutes). Those consistently present and not so loud (e.g. from air-cons) probably people will get used to it.

amk
18-11-10, 20:46

I think the constant humming of expressway can share the no.1 spot ;)

If you have to shout in your living room, that will be the clearest sign.

For MRT, the station announcement is also very irritating. It's not a constant noise, but..... It's really really annoying...

kane
18-11-10, 21:18

buses start and stop at the traffic light in front of my house. it's annoying initially. but i got used to it. ha.

likewise have a friend who stays about 50m away from the MRT track. After a while, he also got used to it until he doesn't really hear it.

i think the most annoying are those wide open stretches where people can rev their bikes.

sh
18-11-10, 21:22
I live in a quiet estate. Usually quiet and peaceful....

Until the neighbour's lambo or ferrari screams by.... :simmering:

Hate those cars, should ban all of them.

sigh... especially when i'm not in them:(

rattydrama
18-11-10, 22:11

How near is it that we will be irritated? My experience is 10m away (infront) from main Road. :scared-4: There were not many vehicles travelling along this road when I bought the unit some 12 years ago. Today, more traffic and buses going to the depot at 2am in the morning. Not to forget those modified bikes. I just gave up.

I must quantify I am referring to main road. Carpark and slip road not counted.

zzz1
20-11-10, 06:03

The noise created by motorbike when moving off is damm irritating. expecally the smaller cc, they are pure madness....don know why they like to rev the bike so much and sprint off the first instance when the traffic light turn green...

shauntanzs
20-11-10, 07:30
Buses are equally bad... Try staying next to a bus stop n u know what I mean...

proud owner
20-11-10, 07:49
Buses are equally bad... Try staying next to a bus stop n u know what I mean...

ask those staying at Parc Imperial , pasir panjang ... though next to future MRT ...the bus service will not be removed with mrt coming on right ?

they shud be able to tell us .. how noisy it can be

jacelynchia
08-08-13, 16:59
http://www.razor.tv/video/454730/how-noisy-can-singapore-get

zeamybro
08-08-13, 22:21
http://www.razor.tv/video/454730/how-noisy-can-singapore-get

Hi ms miltonia, thanks for the video link... Seems like expressway has the highest db..

jacelynchia
09-08-13, 00:30
Hi ms miltonia, thanks for the video link... Seems like expressway has the highest db..

It's very informative regarding the noise level issue.
hahaha, don't call me ms miltonia, planning on selling.

Pro888
09-08-13, 01:47
It's very informative regarding the noise level issue.
hahaha, don't call me ms miltonia, planning on selling.

So fast?? Didn't hear much from you from Skies thread. but should incur loss if sell now. GEMS intl school will be ready in 2014 + 7 mins walk shopping mall about 1-2 years after skies TOP. Seletar Aeropark fully developed in 2018.

jacelynchia
09-08-13, 03:42
So fast?? Didn't hear much from you from Skies thread. but should incur loss if sell now. GEMS intl school will be ready in 2014 + 7 mins walk shopping mall about 1-2 years after skies TOP. Seletar Aeropark fully developed in 2018.

Definitely not selling now, 7 mins so precise? haha
My in laws staying in east, requested us to move in with them.

Regulators
09-08-13, 12:10
Persistent n continuous noise at short intervals in between is the worst. This is the type of noises that drive ppl insane. Nothing beats mrt track noise

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=Mrt%20track%20noise%20lakeside&search_sort=relevance&search_type=search_all&uploaded=&oq=Mrt%20track%20noise%20lakeside&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3...8902.10705.0.11605.6.6.0.0.0.0.209.582.5j0j1.6.0....0...1ac.1.23.youtube-reduced..6.0.0._1lTKrdyqOM