PDA

View Full Version : MRT estates that are exclusive

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 08:32
Ever wondered why projects near these MRTs almost always also create new highs?

Green line: Kembangan, Tanah Merah
Blue line: Lakeside
Red line: Dhoby Ghaut, Somerset, Orchard, Newton, Novena
Purple line: Woodleigh, Kovan
Orange line: Pasir Panjang

Because there are few or none HDB blocks in the near vicinity of these stations!

francophile
16-01-11, 08:34
This is a great thread and exactly what I was looking for for my next investment!let's start naming these projects and also those near upcoming stations

devilplate
16-01-11, 09:03

Because there are few or none HDB blocks in the near vicinity of these stations!

i tink lakeside and kovan got plenty of HDBs.....other den tat, all r gd areas to look into

art10626
16-01-11, 10:56
kembangan astoria park side also a lot of HDB...

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 11:30
I am on the mrt and realised there no such thing as blue line now ha ha ha

Wild Falcon
16-01-11, 11:46
Never see the MRT lines in terms of colour... But then next time when the downtown line 2 is completed which is along an exclusively private belt up Bukit Timah and Upper Bukit Timah, then these existing "exclusive" condos will be outshone already lor because they are not that exclusive in comparison - because no other MRT line exclusively serves the private market other than downtown line 2. So if you tell people "I'm taking the downtown line 2" then people will assume you stay in private condo/GCB/landed (and mostly FH) lor.. Anyway, if u drive, doesn't matter lah.

teddybear
16-01-11, 12:42
What FH/999LH condos are within 200m of MRT stations? Are these more valuable than say >500m away?

rattydrama
16-01-11, 13:02
and they are all underground.

Never see the MRT lines in terms of colour... But then next time when the downtown line 2 is completed which is along an exclusively private belt up Bukit Timah and Upper Bukit Timah, then these existing "exclusive" condos will be outshone already lor because they are not that exclusive in comparison - because no other MRT line exclusively serves the private market other than downtown line 2. So if you tell people "I'm taking the downtown line 2" then people will assume you stay in private condo/GCB/landed (and mostly FH) lor.. Anyway, if u drive, doesn't matter lah.

990113d03
16-01-11, 13:12
Simei estate also has a high ratio of landed and private condos... around the vicinity, there will also be a new Upper Changi East MRT station under DTL3 opposite the future 4th university at the shell station location. Amenities wise, Simei estate is far better than Tanah Merah area with East point, Changi Business Park and Expo nearby. Any comments on the upside for this area?

Regulators
16-01-11, 14:47
there are plenty of HDB flats around The Jade in Bukit Batok and a 2 bedder there is asking more than 900k. :doh:

fiat500
16-01-11, 15:20
kembangan astoria park side also a lot of HDB...
astoria park side is low density hdb. the kembangan hdb estate is a very small estate only n the area looks quite affluent to me.:spliff:

taggy
16-01-11, 15:33

How about city sq along purple line :D
(may not be cup of tea for some)

hopeful
16-01-11, 15:35

citylights and southbank nearest to lavender mrt compared to surrounding HDB flats.

propertychap
16-01-11, 17:40
I got units at kembangan plaza and kembangan court which is so near kembangan mrt and no hdb around. Is that considered good investment? Freehold as well.

taggy
16-01-11, 17:58
citylights and southbank nearest to lavender mrt compared to surrounding HDB flats.

That why I think of city sq when I saw this thread... Freehold, near mtr, near mall, near city, wat else to ask right ? And near little ... A lot of Hope :D

16-01-11, 18:20
That why I think of city sq when I saw this thread... Freehold, near mtr, near mall, near city, wat else to ask right ? And near little ... A lot of Hope :D

Passed by once at night and there are a few KTVs just opp. Looks like a red light district to me.

SRM
16-01-11, 18:21
Excellent thread indeed. Can also factor in projects which have atleast 200 units in the development.

This is a great thread and exactly what I was looking for for my next investment!let's start naming these projects and also those near upcoming stations

rattydrama
16-01-11, 18:50
there are plenty of HDB flats around The Jade in Bukit Batok and a 2 bedder there is asking more than 900k. :doh:

U smiling again.......congrats for you.

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:04
Never see the MRT lines in terms of colour... But then next time when the downtown line 2 is completed which is along an exclusively private belt up Bukit Timah and Upper Bukit Timah, ...

Ya DTL2 mostly atas estates...

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:07
What FH/999LH condos are within 200m of MRT stations? Are these more valuable than say >500m away?

Of coz. 200 vs 500m is a lot of difference for the Singaporean.

rattydrama
16-01-11, 19:08
Of coz. 200 vs 500m is a lot of difference for the Singaporean.
I am more keen if it is within 3 minutes walk.

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:09
Simei estate also has a high ratio of landed and private condos... around the vicinity, there will also be a new Upper Changi East MRT station under DTL3 opposite the future 4th university at the shell station location. Amenities wise, Simei estate is far better than Tanah Merah area with East point, Changi Business Park and Expo nearby. Any comments on the upside for this area?

Resale pricing for the newer or newest projects there already maxed out the psf liao i think... See how much more the new plot near DBR can fetch.

teddybear
16-01-11, 19:10
That means you want MRT station within 200m?

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:11

One of the exit has huge blob of hdb, high rise somemore.... And Farrer Park generally not regatded as atas but popular with Europeans esp French. Many road names there are French...

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:13

Same as Farrer Park - not generally regarded as atas, esp with SIR and tons of foreign talent congregating daily...

mcmlxxvi
16-01-11, 19:15
I got units at kembangan plaza and kembangan court which is so near kembangan mrt and no hdb around. Is that considered good investment? Freehold as well.

High enbloc potential and reasonable yield...

Rysk
16-01-11, 19:16
Soleil is just beside Novena MRT.. and there is no HDB in Dist. 11

Regulators
16-01-11, 19:32
To me 3, 5, 7, 10 min, really not a big dif. I think we spend a lot more time chatting here than walking to mrt stations. I have not taken mrt in ages

devilplate
16-01-11, 19:35
To me 3, 5, 7, 10 min, really not a big dif. I think we spend a lot more time chatting here than walking to mrt stations. I have not taken mrt in ages
U oredi said u nvr take mrt for ages....

Regulators
16-01-11, 19:37
For property investment, near mrt still important but as long as within 800m radius, acceptable lah
U oredi said u nvr take mrt for ages....

teddybear
16-01-11, 19:42
But 10 mins is a problem to old / sick / weak / young. The hot & humid weather is another problem. My criteria is less than 500m, but preferably less, but difficult to come by.

mantrix
16-01-11, 19:42
800 metres take around 8 minutes so relatively ok

devilplate
16-01-11, 19:45
800 metres take around 8 minutes so relatively ok
Brisk walk? Can sweat leh.... Wifey or gf make up ruin how? Hehe

Regulators
16-01-11, 19:47
When I was living in england, the old people there walk two km to the market everyday like nothing. In singapore we have sun and humidity, but england has harsh winter and gales to contend with, so even more jialat
But 10 mins is a problem to old / sick / weak / young. The hot & humid weather is another problem. My criteria is less than 500m, but preferably less, but difficult to come by.

devilplate
16-01-11, 19:48
For property investment, near mrt still important but as long as within 800m radius, acceptable lah
Goto b stricter bcoz getting more ppty near mrt liao.... 500 m actual walking distance is my criteria especially for OCR... ccr not so impt bcoz i realise my tenants usually take cab even though mrt just 3 min away... Lol

Regulators
16-01-11, 19:53
Would you pay 900k for a two bedr 200m away or a3 bedr at 770k 700m away?
Goto b stricter bcoz getting more ppty near mrt liao.... 500 m actual walking distance is my criteria especially for OCR... ccr not so impt bcoz i realise my tenants usually take cab even though mrt just 3 min away... Lol

devilplate
16-01-11, 20:07
U r comparing RH wif jade?

Regulators
16-01-11, 20:12
just using their just using their prices to do comparison, but of course jade is newer by a few years

teddybear
16-01-11, 20:17
R u referring to jade n regent height? more like <100m n > 900m away fr mrt leh. This obviously makes a lot different! This explains huge differences in price:tsk-tsk:

rattydrama
16-01-11, 23:06

Price is not the absolute consideration. I will look out at other estate instead. :spliff:

rattydrama
16-01-11, 23:08
That means you want MRT station within 200m?Your problem? My choice.

rattydrama
16-01-11, 23:11

It does from experience. especially when I urgent need go toilet. :ashamed1:

teddybear
16-01-11, 23:16
That's my choice too! N must b fh some more..
But all dried up!:beats-me-man:

Your problem? My choice.

rattydrama
16-01-11, 23:19
That's my choice too! N must b fh some more..
But all dried up!:beats-me-man: I have that options too! still MRT 3min. :spliff:

Regulators
17-01-11, 00:24
botannia is the top search in propertyguru for the past few months. It is 1.3km to clementi MRT, any reason why this project is so hot?

I have that options too! still MRT 3min. :spliff:

devilplate
17-01-11, 00:29
botannia is the top search in propertyguru for the past few months. It is 1.3km to clementi MRT, any reason why this project is so hot?

newest among tat area+greenary+away from expressway.....but having said tat, i totally not keen ...:beats-me-man:

rattydrama
17-01-11, 00:38
I tot you look at D5.... in totality.. where is botannia? :) I overspent liao so no $ to buy botannia.

Regulators
17-01-11, 00:41
talking about age, property buyers in singapore seem overly fascinated with having things new. At the end of the day, new would still become old so what is the big deal with age. buildings are built to last for generations so i never believed that a 10 or 20 year old building should be considered old in singapore.

newest among tat area+greenary+away from expressway.....but having said tat, i totally not keen ...:beats-me-man:

teddybear
17-01-11, 07:27
Not true lah, CCR MRT just 200m away sure very easy to get tenants (much easier than those further away)! (I know I know because ...). :D

proud owner
17-01-11, 07:50
talking about age, property buyers in singapore seem overly fascinated with having things new. At the end of the day, new would still become old so what is the big deal with age. buildings are built to last for generations so i never believed that a 10 or 20 year old building should be considered old in singapore.

true ...

in fact old projects are much better in terms of lay out

mcmlxxvi
17-01-11, 08:32
When I was living in england, the old people there walk two km to the market everyday like nothing. In singapore we have sun and humidity, but england has harsh winter and gales to contend with, so even more jialat

You at least don't sweat and end up icky in cool winter and harsh windy weather. In SF I can walk for miles on foot across the whole city without breaking a sweat... although need to put on windbreaker and apply lip gloss and moisturise etc...

mcmlxxvi
17-01-11, 08:34

Given a choice between brand new development with sucky workmanship / interior finishing, I rather get an old one and spend the difference on reno doing it up to exact personal like. More kick also - can exercise right brain.

Regulators
17-01-11, 09:16
New condos like newton edge epitomises the concept of wasted space and I don't thinkthat planter boxes and bay windows are even necessary in condo design as they seriously add to nothing.
Given a choice between brand new development with sucky workmanship / interior finishing, I rather get an old one and spend the difference on reno doing it up to exact personal like. More kick also - can exercise right brain.

Wild Falcon
17-01-11, 09:42
The new developments all look the same anyway with the all-glass facade which is the most impractical design in the tropics. And these buildings with nothing but glass probably cannot last 20 years because the silicon in between glass will start leaking after 5 years. I think its the desire to chase the latest fad. Even the home renovation all look the same and everyone just follow latest designer trend. There was this time everyone has the same "baroque" wallpaper in the bedroom and the arco lamp in the living room. But I agree the older more eco-friendly design with concrete and glass probably can last forever.

propertychap
17-01-11, 09:45
From investment point of view, would new projects have better price appreciation potential?
For examples, between Vacanza and Kembangan court, which will yield better capital appreciation?

devilplate
17-01-11, 09:46
The new developments all look the same anyway with the all-glass facade which is the most impractical design in the tropics. And these buildings with nothing but glass probably cannot last 20 years because the silicon in between glass will start leaking after 5 years. I think its the desire to chase the latest fad. Even the home renovation all look the same and everyone just follow latest designer trend. There was this time everyone has the same "baroque" wallpaper in the bedroom and the arco lamp in the living room. But I agree the older more eco-friendly design with concrete and glass probably can last forever.

any comments from civil/strutural engineering expert?

i tink more glass is more eco-frenly except those west facing units of coz...hehe

devilplate
17-01-11, 09:48
From investment point of view, would new projects have better price appreciation potential?
For examples, between Vacanza and Kembangan court, which will yield better capital appreciation?

aiyo u keep toking abt kem court....find a willing seller at 700-750psf first lor:rolleyes:

kem court at 1kpsf, vacanza anytime man

Regulators
17-01-11, 09:52
these days people buy new projects looking at location more than interior of unit. If location good but sucky interior design, people still buy

Regulators
17-01-11, 09:54
Look at the prices of surrounding projects lor, prices should not deviate too much

peterng8
17-01-11, 10:32

another to compare is Guilin view, that is the reason wy Rh is moving up...as guilin view has moved up too high already...where is Guilin view? less than 100m from GB MRT...and is a distant neighbor of RH but within that area...:)

Rysk
17-01-11, 11:40

Cold weather is better than hot when comes to walking.. there's why 2km is nothing in cold weather.
In S'pore if you walk 2km to reach MRT in the afternoon, before you board the train, you already thinking of go home for a shower & go into aircon room to relax.
I went for a holiday to Shanghai last month. Over there is like 0-10 deg, is cold but I didn't feel tired after a long walk as compare walking in S'pore.

Exeehc
17-01-11, 15:19
New condos like newton edge epitomises the concept of wasted space and I don't thinkthat planter boxes and bay windows are even necessary in condo design as they seriously add to nothing.

Macly's other project - Zedge is worse than Newton Edge ... or probably the same. It is seriously small, even for single occupancy.

devilplate
17-01-11, 15:24
Macly's other project - Zedge is worse than Newton Edge ... or probably the same. It is seriously small, even for single occupancy.

zedge better den newton edge...hehe.

the showflat for zedge quite ok....except tat the TV gona be vy near to the sofa...tat time i argue with the agt tat southbank's studio probably a better buy at 1-1.1kpsf.....but she insist FH over LH...let her win lor...haha

azeoprop
17-01-11, 15:45
Bukit Brown MRT...no hdb, all landed for the other side haa haa.... :rolleyes:

Chillyred888
10-02-11, 13:48
Of cos if given a choice of a good unit i want it near to MRT!

Has anyone here stay near the MRT?
What is the noise level like?
I seen a unit at Astoria Park level 5. I hear the train announcment loud and clear. When i look out i can say hi to the pple waiting for train!

I am looking at a project beside MRT but a unit furthest away from it.
Anyone here has experience?

teddybear
10-02-11, 15:02
Choose 1 where MRT is underground, sure no sound even if beside the MRT station. :cheers1:

I seen a unit at Astoria Park level 5. I hear the train announcment loud and clear. When i look out i can say hi to the pple waiting for train!

eng81157
10-02-11, 15:05

i've lived in a friend's place beside the MRT and i can categorically state that IT'S FREAKING NOISY. the noise starts at 4am when the tracks get cleaned by a carriage and any semblance of peace comes only after 12midnight.

westman
10-02-11, 16:38
i tink lakeside and kovan got plenty of HDBs.....other den tat, all r gd areas to look into

Depending which side (along boon lay way) you are talking about. On LAkeside MRT station side, all privates, HDB at opposite MRT station.:2cents:

westman
10-02-11, 16:43

Stay near mrt track (<50m from track and about 350m from station).
During day time is fine (kids noise more louder) but can be noisy at late night. Beginning, buay tahan the noise but now already get use to it liao. :sleep:

rattydrama
10-02-11, 22:33
i have no problem staying next to MRT around 200m. Noise is not an issue and I am actually happy for making this recent purchase. Opt for high floor units if above ground and away from the track or not facing the track.

ymgsterling
11-02-11, 12:52

DTL2, King Albert Station is in between MapleWoods and The Sterling. Residents in these 2 developments are going to huat huat huat olrdi

mantrix
11-02-11, 13:11
i have no problem staying next to MRT around 200m. Noise is not an issue and I am actually happy for making this recent purchase. Opt for high floor units if above ground and away from the track or not facing the track.
noise is muted when MRT is around 200m so not an issue, true

proud owner
11-02-11, 13:24
DTL2, King Albert Station is in between MapleWoods and The Sterling. Residents in these 2 developments are going to huat huat huat olrdi

how about casa esperanza ??

ymgsterling
11-02-11, 13:55
how about casa esperanza ??

3 X Huat! Ho Say Liao!

rattydrama
12-02-11, 01:18
noise is muted when MRT is around 200m so not an issue, true
thanks, not many supporter on this statement. I have to quantify that the block is also titled so track noise is absorbed by those units. it means that u still see the train but not the noise.:p

for units facing track, eg certain units in caspian 872sqft type. I will not buy for self stay simply its too near the track.. 20m??, not possible for me to shut the window whole day as well.

Regulators
12-02-11, 01:30
i think for caspian, even those units not facing the track will get the noise. Just look at warren, some units facing away from track not only hear the noise, but also feel the vibration. I think 200m-300m away should be quite safe

thanks, not many supporter on this statement. I have to quantify that the block is also titled so track noise is absorbed by those units. it means that u still see the train but not the noise.:p

for units facing track, eg certain units in caspian 872sqft type. I will not buy for self stay simply its too near the track.. 20m??, not possible for me to shut the window whole day as well.

rattydrama
12-02-11, 01:44
i think for caspian, even those units not facing the track will get the noise. Just look at warren, some units facing away from track not only hear the noise, but also feel the vibration. I think 200m-300m away should be quite safe

caspian not facing track maybe not noisy. even there is noise should be pretty bearable.

warren is facing track and there is nothing in between to cushion off the noise for certain blks, in a way the noise is being trapped. :p I visited one of the units at 9th floor, dont think the orientation is good as MRT is coming to you kind sort of feel.

richwang
12-02-11, 12:37
I don't drive. So I am relatively an "expert" on MRT in this forum. It is very easy for you to become an "expert" as well: choose a raining day and forget to bring an umbralla. You will know the BIG difference between 200m and 500m when you need to run (in a heavy raining day!)
Now let's talk about a nice day, it still makes a HUGE difference. A car dirves at 80KM / Hour, a man walks at 4KM / Hour. You can just multiply 20 times for those distances. So You are comparing 4000m with 10,000 m in car laungage. I am sure most would agree that is different.
Now let's talk about time. The average walking speed is about 50 meters /min. When you say "I stay near MRT station", that means 3-5 mins walk (because MRT stops at that interval, 3-5 mins definetely means another MRT stop!) So you are talking about a distance around 200 m when you say it is near MRT station. It can demand a premium if the distance is less than 100m. (Just look at FEO project next to AMK station. )
For those units 500 m away, it is consider as FAR. You need a good 10 mins walk (cannot imaging in a raining day). 10 mins can do a lot of things for MRT. You are talking about Orchard Road vs AMK (10 min ride), Red Hill vs Raffles Place (10 min ride). Tampinnes vs East Coast (10 min ride).

In short, near MRT means within 200m and prefer to be less than 100m (make sure you lock your cars for 6 momths before you make serious comments.)

Thanks,
Richard
PS. I am also holding SMRT stock, very good for long term investment: monopoly or duopoly, stable cash flow, nice insider holder (Temasek who will always be able to rise the fair after Election), good dividend yeild. nice capital gain (IPO was around S$0.60, now it is more than S$2.00). SMRT stock is as good as holding a property.

ecimbew
12-02-11, 12:47
During that period of "Train is coming, train is coming!" jingle, I nearly went mad.

richwang
12-02-11, 12:59
In England, the work pace is slower. I was so shocked when I first visited the London office and people can just drink in the bar on a working day until 2 or even 3 pm. By 5pm, people are starting to leave. (Fully undertand they will need 1 to 2 hrs to reach home. )
In Singapore, if you take the 7pm train at Raffles Place, it is peak hour. I seldem had a chance to leave office before 7pm when I was working in an investment bank. (Well, around 4-5pm, you just get London folks come in, so if you can complete the calls by 7pm, you are considered very efficient. ) Then you may want to rush home for the 9pm or 10pm calls with US.
So in a weekday, you are not walking, you are half running.
If you invest a property 2km away from MRT station and try to find someone to rent out, it won't be fun. (Again, we are talking about running 200m vs running 2km with laptop in hand and maybe in high heels.)

Thanks,
Richard

blackpepperj
12-02-11, 14:34
Landed houses within 10mins walk to MRT best lah :p

rattydrama
12-02-11, 15:29
During that period of "Train is coming, train is coming!" jingle, I nearly went mad.

I cannnt hear that thou, only train noise but not threathening. If it trains, cannt hear a thing at all.

rattydrama
12-02-11, 15:32
you are right. tats why I make it a point to invest within 200m of all my properties.

I take MRT when I was younger and can fully understand the trouble especially on rainy days.

In England, the work pace is slower. I was so shocked when I first visited the London office and people can just drink in the bar on a working day until 2 or even 3 pm. By 5pm, people are starting to leave. (Fully undertand they will need 1 to 2 hrs to reach home. )
In Singapore, if you take the 7pm train at Raffles Place, it is peak hour. I seldem had a chance to leave office before 7pm when I was working in an investment bank. (Well, around 4-5pm, you just get London folks come in, so if you can complete the calls by 7pm, you are considered very efficient. ) Then you may want to rush home for the 9pm or 10pm calls with US.
So in a weekday, you are not walking, you are half running.
If you invest a property 2km away from MRT station and try to find someone to rent out, it won't be fun. (Again, we are talking about running 200m vs running 2km with laptop in hand and maybe in high heels.)

Thanks,
Richard

rattydrama
12-02-11, 15:35
BTW, for SMRT stock, is it worth investing at the current price? I notice that the earnings is not from the operating revenue of the train services but from rental collection.

richwang
12-02-11, 21:43
Stay away from the market in short term. Some are prodicting a 20%-30% correction for emerging market. Funds are moving away from Singapore to US. Emerging market ETF redemption is very high. USD is technically strenging, meaning money is going back to US.

The net cash flow is negtive for this year so far. Let's hope it is as short as 2007, not as 2008.

http://www.economist.com/node/18118827?story_id=18118827&CFID=162185857&CFTOKEN=59168553

Better be safe.

Thanks,
Richard

devilplate
12-02-11, 21:51
Stay away from the market in short term. Some are prodicting a 20%-30% correction for emerging market. Funds are moving away from Singapore to US. Emerging market ETF redemption is very high. USD is technically strenging, meaning money is going back to US.

The net cash flow is negtive for this year so far. Let's hope it is as short as 2007, not as 2008.

http://www.economist.com/node/18118827?story_id=18118827&CFID=162185857&CFTOKEN=59168553

Better be safe.

Thanks,
Richard

wat u say is vy true....sian...i tot stock rally...ended up lau sai....oredi cut most stocks...some @ loss recently...:sleep:

richwang
12-02-11, 22:26

Emerging markets

Feb 10th 2011 | NEW YORK | from PRINT EDITION

http://media.economist.com/images/images-magazine/2011/02/12/fn/20110212_fnc158.gif
THE turmoil in Egypt marks a turning-point for that country’s politics. Might it also be a turning-point for investment in emerging markets? Hungry for yield as the financial crisis abated, investors flocked to emerging markets in the past two years, pushing equity inflows to record levels (see chart). They were handsomely rewarded, with the MSCI Emerging Markets index (MSCI EM) returning 79% in 2009 and 19% in 2010, compared with 31% and 12% for shares globally.
In the week to February 2nd, however, emerging-market equity funds shed $7 billion, or 1% of their total assets, as events boiled over in Cairo. According to EPFR, which tracks such flows, this was the third-largest withdrawal on record, and the first of any size since the crisis. Redemptions from Asia-focused funds (excluding Japan) hit a three-year high. In the past week or so, hedge funds and options traders have dramatically increased their bets against developing countries, says an industry consultant. “Everyone’s looking to be better positioned in case the shit hits the fan,” says a hedge-fund manager. The outflows continued this week, though at a less dramatic pace.
As a relatively small market, Egypt alone is unlikely to trigger sustained selling. The bigger worry is that unrest spreads through the region, threatening Israel’s security or world oil supplies, and thus a fragile global recovery. But even if that does not happen, the upheaval may have given a nudge to investors already on the verge of leaving emerging markets.