PDA

View Full Version : What is staying in penthouse like?

hyenergix
29-01-11, 09:06
I feel like getting a low-rise 2-bedder penthouse (alternative to a unit near a beach) as there will be several small developments launching soon :) Just wonder if it is worth the $ for own enjoyment or for rental (as compared to usual 2 bedder)

Allthepies
29-01-11, 09:44
i feel tat penthouses to be high up and command nice view. low-floor penthouses in boutique development may not be a good idea :2cents:

hopeful
29-01-11, 10:14
what is a definition of a penthouse?

Recall an article that most penthouses are actually maisonette?

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 10:21
Penthouse means top level... U have single or double level penthouses.

Low rise penthouse is good if near reservoir, best view, peaceful and quiet.

Low rise penthouse near hdb is a bad mistake. Even the hdb folks look down on you. Get it?

High rise penthouse excellent, the sail, concourse skyline, south bank and the other one near mrt. FH. Good choices.

Penthouses are landed equivalent in the sky. First floor units are landed equivalent on the ground but much worst.

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 11:19
Anyone?

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1824378/for-sale-the-quartz

hyenergix
29-01-11, 12:05
Anyone?

99 yrs no thanks. Will the penthouse b hot during e day?

kane
29-01-11, 12:07
They're kidding right, you could buy a brand new cluster home at that kind of price. And on top of that, they're asking $300k above valuation. The agent must be damn desperate to advertise for this seller.

land118
29-01-11, 12:10
what is a definition of a penthouse?

Recall an article that most penthouses are actually maisonette?
Wikipedia :"Penthouse apartment, a special apartment on the top floor of a building"

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 12:43
This one got garden on roof top, like world war 2 bunker. Very cool.

Piglet
29-01-11, 15:55
IMO, penhouse unit got a lot of wasted PSF if one is not an outdoor balcony person.. Also a lot of bird shit to clean!

rattydrama
29-01-11, 16:01
IMO, penhouse unit got a lot of wasted PSF if one is not an outdoor balcony person.. Also a lot of bird shit to clean!

penhouse with sea view will be ideal. Others, can forget about it.

jc
29-01-11, 16:20

My relative's PH balcony fake grass melted. What do u think?

Rysk
29-01-11, 16:51
Anyone?

99-yr LH? No thanks
Far away from city? No thanks
Ground flr unit? No thanks
:tsk-tsk:

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 17:01
99-yr LH? No thanks
Far away from city? No thanks
Ground flr unit? No thanks
:tsk-tsk:
Not mine, I am not supporting it also
:banghead:

hyenergix
29-01-11, 17:47
Penthouse doesnt seem to be a good idea then. I guess it only looks good in brochure.

august
29-01-11, 19:21
i like the idea of no one above u while everyone is below u ~

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 19:31
i like the idea of no one above u while everyone is below u ~
How about no one above u and below u? Landed, pure landed. If need swimming pool, go for cluster.

teddybear
29-01-11, 20:09
Pick high rise penhouse with unblock view. Bird can't fly up so high and confirm no bird shit.

Laguna
29-01-11, 20:44
visited quite a number of PHs.

Due to the GFA, the open yard and the balconyof PH are often not covered, as such, they need to bear with the rain and shine. The rain can even come into the house. This is often very much hotter due to the open terrace.

The worst is, the rain water wash all the dust from the roof top to your unit. This depends how the developer take care of this problem. If not, then good luck.

For low rise PHs, those with plot ratio of 1.4, the PHs just look into other houses or roof of other houses nearby, terrible.

For high rise PHs, u look down, everything is so small, u look up, the view could be a million dollars view...

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 20:52
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1903396/for-sale-northvale

This one very cheap but no takers. No view? HDB pricing of 350 Psf...

Not mine, help a bit as it's been on sale for some time already.

I dun get anything in return nor did the owner ask me to help, just sharing.

kingkong1984
29-01-11, 20:58
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1805115/for-sale-orchid-park-condo

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1412266/for-sale-orchid-park-condo

Hard time finding buyers also. Please help.

hyenergix
29-01-11, 22:02
Thanks for sharing. Penthouse really looks very hot during the day.

kane
29-01-11, 22:16
My relative's PH balcony fake grass melted. What do u think?

probably got to use wooden decking.

romeo
30-01-11, 01:59
den again, high-rise PHs most windy, isn't it.. natural air-con.. some come with jacuzzi?

ocoloco79
30-01-11, 10:47
In general given same location etc, high rise PH more ex than low rise right? If that is the case then can assume high rise better that is why it commands a premium?

kingkong1984
30-01-11, 10:58
Penthouse, a strange creature. CCR penthouses cream of the crop, RCR and OCR penthouses are not quite the same. Why do I say so? go compare prices.

No 1 rule, OCR penthouse can never be more expansive than a landed, otherwise go for landed.

No 2 rule, if want a swimming pool plus landed experience. Cluster housings are there to bridge the gap. So penthouses in OCR cannot be more expansive than cluster housing.

No 3 rule, penthouse cannot be cheaper than HDB in the same vicinity. If selling for a song, you are probably wrong in buying too.

Compare PSF.

So the last thing a buyer need to know is the premium placed for outdoor living. Which is to be neutralized by wind, birdshit, sun and rain n water seepage. Not many people fancy penthouses when it is old. And considered tool big for many!

peterng8
30-01-11, 12:01
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1805115/for-sale-orchid-park-condo

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1412266/for-sale-orchid-park-condo

Hard time finding buyers also. Please help.

agent kingkong!!:)

kingkong1984
30-01-11, 12:09
agent kingkong!!:)
Haha no lah.. Beware ur own rod...

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=132082&postcount=906

Nav14's unit maybe. Lots of penthouses on sale since Estuary launch, so I know it's not easy for these owners. They might be trapped if they have committed somewhere else and have to dispose these quickly.

Agent Peter consider these? good right?

peterng8
30-01-11, 12:14
Haha no lah.. Beware ur own rod...

comission 1 % interested? if yes, PM me...:)

kingkong1984
30-01-11, 12:18
comission 1 % interested? if yes, PM me...:)
10% also won't bite lah. I am not a Agent!!!!

U helping them to sell?

Blue
08-02-11, 14:17
If you know how to decorate the roof terrace (provided also that the space is big enough and not splitted into 2 or 3 small spaces) , penthouses are brilliant for stay! See pics of rooftop bars below:

http://i.cdn.cnngo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/240x240/2010/08/11/1-Altitude-Gallery--

http://www.singaporetravelholic.com/javascript/FCKeditor/editor/filemanager/userfiles/image/La%20Terraza%20Rooftop%20Bar_horizontal.jpg

http://www.singaporetravelholic.com/javascript/FCKeditor/editor/filemanager/userfiles/image/Orgo_horizontal.JPG

http://www.singaporetravelholic.com/javascript/FCKeditor/editor/filemanager/userfiles/image/1-Altitude%20Gallery&Bar_vertical.jpg

hyenergix
08-02-11, 15:14
Those are roof-top restuarants right? Probably you need a lof people to maintain and carry the furniture in when it rains, which is very often...

fooblackie
08-02-11, 16:05

I dun stay in a classical penthouse. but it is on the highest floor (17th).

Before i buy, my parents oso scared cos the heat can "penetrate" the ceiling.

After i stayed for > 3mths, i think this is a misconception. If it is a hot day, anywhere will be hot, be it on the ground floor or PH.

For my unit. the additional "heat" from the ceiling (if any cos i dun feel it), are balanced by the unblocked air circulation (cos high floor too).

my 2 :2cents:

silver023
08-02-11, 19:38

Kekek... maybe coz you're looking up towards the sun :rolleyes:

Montaigne
08-02-11, 19:49
Hi, given a 2 bedroom unit size 970sf vs a 2 bedroom penthouse same size, and same location selling at the same price , which is a better buy? Former is one level but huge, latter is split into two levels plus PES so smaller, but it is a penthouse. Thks.

rattydrama
08-02-11, 19:51
having stayed in 2000sq ft house for 10 years with just 2 of us. I headache when comes to cleaning. Nice to stay but comes with high maintenance cost.

rattydrama
08-02-11, 19:53
Hi blue, nice picture you have but how to go about attaching these pictures here?

august
08-02-11, 20:13
Those are roof-top restuarants right? Probably you need a lof people to maintain and carry the furniture in when it rains, which is very often...

maybe they use outdoor furniture and cushion? so no need to shelter from rain too often

devilplate
08-02-11, 21:53
Hi, given a 2 bedroom unit size 970sf vs a 2 bedroom penthouse same size, and same location selling at the same price , which is a better buy? Former is one level but huge, latter is split into two levels plus PES so smaller, but it is a penthouse. Thks.

furnish us with more details....project name...special facing? nice view for PH?

if within the same project and similar views, PH definitely lower PSF by 10-20% depending on the % of PES.....those with entire open terrace on top can expect 30-40% discount

Blue
09-02-11, 15:01

These are all outdoor furnitures which are weather proof. U can also do shades, polycarbonates, roof awnings, gazebos to filter the rain and sun.

Blue
09-02-11, 15:03
Hi blue, nice picture you have but how to go about attaching these pictures here?

When u reply to a thread, there is this small icon with a hill. Click on that, and paste the hyperlink / webpage of the photo.

Blue
09-02-11, 15:11
furnish us with more details....project name...special facing? nice view for PH?

if within the same project and similar views, PH definitely lower PSF by 10-20% depending on the % of PES.....those with entire open terrace on top can expect 30-40% discount

Penthouses - most impt is the view. It has to be unblocked for good wind ventilation plus view of the city lights and/or sea view is totally undescribeable.

Nowadays, I enjoy going up to my roof terrance for fine dining and wine tasting at night with friends, soaking in my jacuzzi hot tub, enjoy the breeze and the city night views, glazing at the moon and stars. For an additional price of 50% more than a non-penthouse unit and yet double the space because of 2 storeys, it is worth the investment. Also can use the extra space to dry laundry under natural sun and wind without the need for a dryer.

Blue
09-02-11, 15:19

If you are referring to the same development and within the same block, the penthouse on top is normally double the size of the lower floor non-penthouse unit. Although double the space, penthouse are typically 150% of the price of the lower non-penthouse unit.

Montaigne
09-02-11, 19:29
I mean not the same development...WHat I mean is if you can get a penthouse at the same price, is it worth getting it over the single level more spacious unit? For two bedder, for some projects within same area, the price can get penthouse of similar sf. Last time 2 bedder is around $550K-$700K, now, a 2 bedder cost close to 1 mil...

andy
09-02-11, 20:59
Penthouses - most impt is the view. It has to be unblocked for good wind ventilation plus view of the city lights and/or sea view is totally undescribeable.

Nowadays, I enjoy going up to my roof terrance for fine dining and wine tasting at night with friends, soaking in my jacuzzi hot tub, enjoy the breeze and the city night views, glazing at the moon and stars. For an additional price of 50% more than a non-penthouse unit and yet double the space because of 2 storeys, it is worth the investment. Also can use the extra space to dry laundry under natural sun and wind without the need for a dryer.

Absolutely true. Plus you can have a private roof top garden. Besides there is absolutely no noise coming from the ceiling when you are sleeping;-)

romeo
09-02-11, 21:45
i go for PH anytime.. i like to be on top of everyone else:rolleyes:
n soak in my own privacy.. provided there is no othr buildings overlooking mine..

rattydrama
09-02-11, 22:52
http://www.home-hunts.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/penthouse-pic1.jpg
When u reply to a thread, there is this small icon with a hill. Click on that, and paste the hyperlink / webpage of the photo.

westman
09-02-11, 23:06
http://www.home-hunts.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/penthouse-pic1.jpg

Cool!!!!!! This is nice!;)

mantrix
10-02-11, 07:13
I have some experience, so here are my 2 cents:

- most 'PHs' are actually duplexes or maisonette - else top unit in HDBs are penthouses already. So despite what developers call it, a 2 storey 1000 sq ft duplex is NOT a penthouse unless you dun mind the tag 'shoebox penthouse' :)

- always look for roof terrace that is not too big (if the PES is more than 25-30% of total sq ft then it's not really a good buy IMO) so less unblocked surface that gets heated up

- heat-wise, it does not mean if PH level is high it's cooler - it depends, apart from west sun facing (try to avoid please), on the attic architecture. Look for those with roofs that are slanted at an angle - a well designed tall attic helps to insulate against the heat. Whereas those modern flat designs with a low attic (or none) will roast you alive in summer. The same goes for landed housing, which is why the older type housings are cool even during sunny days.

- a main attraction of PHs is the living room loft due to the 2 storeys, so make sure there is one. Else unless one sees the stairway, you couldn't tell it is a PH. The loft makes the living room spacious and comfy and a star selling point if properly designed.

- if roof terrace is big, try to reduce heat absorption with plants and shades - try to get corner units if possible that has the most unblocked view (they have 270 degrees view as compared to the rest)

- low and high-rise PHs are all matter of preference - the most important thing is you won't hear stomping noises from your upstairs neighbour :D

kingkong1984
10-02-11, 07:31
I mean not the same development...WHat I mean is if you can get a penthouse at the same price, is it worth getting it over the single level more spacious unit? For two bedder, for some projects within same area, the price can get penthouse of similar sf. Last time 2 bedder is around $550K-$700K, now, a 2 bedder cost close to 1 mil...
Just rephrase it as
a) 2500 sqf penthouse on 1 floor.
b) 2500 sqf penthouse on 2 floors.

Obviously should go for 2 floors as living room would have high ceilings and it's special, floors within floors. Double deck.

However, if it is a small penthouse of 1000 sqf, obviously a single floor would be better.

Beware the 3 level penthouses...lots of wasted space.

Key criteria for any penthouse. Views and spacious living room.

tericia
10-02-11, 13:30

i stay penthouse before. very very hot because the sun bakes the top floor the whole day.

so now i buy highest is 2nd highest floor.

fooblackie
10-02-11, 15:38
i stay penthouse before. very very hot because the sun bakes the top floor the whole day.

so now i buy highest is 2nd highest floor.

no water tank on top?

kane
10-02-11, 15:59
I have some experience, so here are my 2 cents:

- most 'PHs' are actually duplexes or maisonette - else top unit in HDBs are penthouses already. So despite what developers call it, a 2 storey 1000 sq ft duplex is NOT a penthouse unless you dun mind the tag 'shoebox penthouse' :)

- always look for roof terrace that is not too big (if the PES is more than 25-30% of total sq ft then it's not really a good buy IMO) so less unblocked surface that gets heated up

- heat-wise, it does not mean if PH level is high it's cooler - it depends, apart from west sun facing (try to avoid please), on the attic architecture. Look for those with roofs that are slanted at an angle - a well designed tall attic helps to insulate against the heat. Whereas those modern flat designs with a low attic (or none) will roast you alive in summer. The same goes for landed housing, which is why the older type housings are cool even during sunny days.

- a main attraction of PHs is the living room loft due to the 2 storeys, so make sure there is one. Else unless one sees the stairway, you couldn't tell it is a PH. The loft makes the living room spacious and comfy and a star selling point if properly designed.

- if roof terrace is big, try to reduce heat absorption with plants and shades - try to get corner units if possible that has the most unblocked view (they have 270 degrees view as compared to the rest)

- low and high-rise PHs are all matter of preference - the most important thing is you won't hear stomping noises from your upstairs neighbour :D

valuable points raised. :cheers1:

ocoloco79
10-02-11, 16:15
Just rephrase it as
a) 2500 sqf penthouse on 1 floor.
b) 2500 sqf penthouse on 2 floors.

Obviously should go for 2 floors as living room would have high ceilings and it's special, floors within floors. Double deck.

However, if it is a small penthouse of 1000 sqf, obviously a single floor would be better.

Beware the 3 level penthouses...lots of wasted space.

Key criteria for any penthouse. Views and spacious living room.

Oh really, but I will choose the 1000sf penthouse over the 1000sf single floor if same price..maybe because there are only me and hubby in the family. But if it is a 500sf PH vs 500sf single floor i will choose single floor though...

kingkong1984
10-02-11, 18:23
I was giving an example. It's relative. What's too small can be too big to others too. Vice versa. As long as u like it, it will be fine.

Blue
11-02-11, 16:20

Sorry, I dun get what you mean actually. If it is different development but within the same district, then you need to compare many other things rather than just single level vs penthouse.

At the end of day, it is the psf that counts. Penthouse psf should be lower than single level units. But the overall quantum (absolute dollars) is higher for penthouses because of the larger size.

Just a guideline for calculating penthouse value: Lower storey built in area psf should be comparable to any other single level units in the same area. Only the open terrace areas is half the psf.

So if you have a 2000 sqft penthouse of which 1000 sqft is covered and 1000 sqft is open terrace. And the nearby single level units are selling for say $1200 psf, that means you should be paying $1200psf x 1000 sqft + $600psf x 1000 sqft = $1.8M for that penthouse. In other words, the penthouse psf is $900 psf being $1.8M / 2000 sqft.

DC33_2008
12-02-11, 17:45
This is only true if it is the tallest development around there. Otherwise, no privacy. Now we have lots of penthouses for low-rise amongst the tall development.

andy
13-02-11, 18:33
This is only true if it is the tallest development around there. Otherwise, no privacy. Now we have lots of penthouses for low-rise amongst the tall development.

Penthouse surrounded by landed is the best. Feels like living among landed properties

dnomyarw
17-02-11, 13:21

hi how does a slanted roof reduce the heat...

DC33_2008
17-02-11, 14:11
hi how does a slanted roof reduce the heat... High attic space with good insulation for the roof construction helps. Pitched roof or sloping roof will be easier to create this large volume space. Hot air rises to the top of the attic and with good passive design to remove this hot air from the space.

mantrix
17-02-11, 14:51
High attic space with good insulation for the roof construction helps. Pitched roof or sloping roof will be easier to create this large volume space. Hot air rises to the top of the attic and with good passive design to remove this hot air from the space.

thanks for answering on my behalf :)

so just dun go buy those PHs with gentle sloping attics or those that look real nice and modern with NO attics at all...prepare to be roasted during daytime cos you are actually sheltering those below you. Being the highest, there is no other protection...

dnomyarw
17-02-11, 14:59
thanks for answering on my behalf :)

so just dun go buy those PHs with gentle sloping attics or those that look real nice and modern with NO attics at all...prepare to be roasted during daytime cos you are actually sheltering those below you. Being the highest, there is no other protection...

luckily mine has a slanting roof thanks :) ...

mantrix
17-02-11, 15:42
luckily mine has a slanting roof thanks :) ...

smart choice :cheers1:

Blue
20-02-11, 16:54
Penthouse surrounded by landed is the best. Feels like living among landed properties

Yeah! It's like the world under your feet and the blue sky above.

hyenergix
23-05-11, 10:17
The penthouse bug has bitten me again :p

Which one is more worth it? 1-bedder FH penthouse near MRT that opens to a roof-top swimming pool (my idea) or 2-bedder 99LH condo with luxurious facilities like in Terrasse (my wife's idea)? Let's assume that both are around $800k.

ysyap
23-05-11, 10:29

Which one is more worth it? 1-bedder FH penthouse near MRT that opens to a roof-top swimming pool (my idea) or 2-bedder 99LH condo with luxurious facilities like in Terrasse (my wife's idea)? Let's assume that both are around $800k.If for own stay, both must be happy so try to negotiate a compromise. If for investment, meaning every intention to sell later, get the one nearer to MRT.... :)

hyenergix
23-05-11, 10:45
I have already given a cheque for the penthouse, now waiting for balloting. Just not sure whether to go ahead to buy if I strike the ballot or get the Terrasse.

hopeful
23-05-11, 10:56

Which one is more worth it? 1-bedder FH penthouse near MRT that opens to a roof-top swimming pool (my idea) or 2-bedder 99LH condo with luxurious facilities like in Terrasse (my wife's idea)? Let's assume that both are around $800k.

where is that?
The new project at Kovan? 831 Upper seranggoon road?

ysyap
23-05-11, 11:05
I have already given a cheque for the penthouse, now waiting for balloting. Just not sure whether to go ahead to buy if I strike the ballot or get the Terrasse.All the best... its 4 yr SSD so don't make any hasty decision... :D

fclim
23-05-11, 11:42
Some penthouses need to give access to workers to fix the gondola for facade maintenance. It can be quite often. Remember to ask the developer if your penthouse unit is affected.

hyenergix
23-05-11, 12:15
where is that?
The new project at Kovan? 831 Upper seranggoon road?

Just testing my luck. My wife is actually against it since it is very expensive for a 1-bedder, but I will be the one paying so I will decide later :D

jimeong
24-05-11, 10:53
great .

ysyap
24-05-11, 10:56
Just testing my luck. My wife is actually against it since it is very expensive for a 1-bedder, but I will be the one paying so I will decide later :DAlways wise to get a unit where both husband and wife agree on otherwise no peace to your ear over the next few years... :D

kellogs
24-05-11, 15:11
I would go with penthouse.

I have bought this unit (4th floor) - Single floor and low rise development (The Verte)

It is next to Siglap park connector. I have plan to install boxing stuffs on the open terrace so I could practise muay thai and boxing :)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/281/edy1948.jpg

ysyap
24-05-11, 15:15
Looks huge. What's the floor area? Can have a 8 seater dining table...

kellogs
24-05-11, 15:17
It is not huge ... just 1948 sqft

ysyap
24-05-11, 15:21
It is not huge ... just 1948 sqftThe space is rather compact so quite neat.. Only that long corridor I don't really like coz its space wasted. But good to have a small pool... congrats on your acquisition! :o

I actually also like to stay in Penthouses but does not own one YET!!!:D

kellogs
24-05-11, 15:31
The space is rather compact so quite neat.. Only that long corridor I don't really like coz its space wasted. But good to have a small pool... congrats on your acquisition! :o

I actually also like to stay in Penthouses but does not own one YET!!!:D

Thank you :) ... It is for a 4 of us - wife and 2 young kids (4 and 3 years old).

I think it should be sufficient for the time being ... I bought it during 2009 ... so the price was manageable ...

Prior to this unit, I almost bought Accasia (sp?) it is a 2 storeys penthouse 1500+- sqft ... really cramp

hopeful
24-05-11, 15:33
I would go with penthouse.

I have bought this unit (4th floor) - Single floor and low rise development (The Verte)

It is next to Siglap park connector. I have plan to install boxing stuffs on the open terrace so I could practise muay thai and boxing :)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/281/edy1948.jpg

whats the maintenance like for this penthouse?
If plus private pool, should be quite ex....

kellogs
24-05-11, 15:36
whats the maintenance like for this penthouse?
If plus private pool, should be quite ex....
Last time i asked, for the unit itself is 350 SGD and the pool is 150 SGD

total about 500 SGD a month.

Btw this unit is not a penthouse ... just a regular 4 bedrooms

ysyap
24-05-11, 15:45
Thank you :) ... It is for a 4 of us - wife and 2 young kids (4 and 3 years old).

I think it should be sufficient for the time being ... I bought it during 2009 ... so the price was manageable ...

Prior to this unit, I almost bought Accasia (sp?) it is a 2 storeys penthouse 1500+- sqft ... really crampSo I suspect you have a boy and a girl so need separate rooms? Cool! So the last room is either for your study or your maid? Quite neat!

kellogs
24-05-11, 15:50
yea i have a body and girl. The last room would be used as a home office. overseeing the Siglap park connector longkang :p and Frankel Avenue

ysyap
24-05-11, 16:14
yea i have a body and girl. The last room would be used as a home office. overseeing the Siglap park connector longkang :p and Frankel AvenueCongrats on your new home!!! :D

hyenergix
24-05-11, 18:05
Too large for me in terms of cleaning. Maintenance of pte pool shd b closer to $300? This figure was quoted to me recently at Space@Kovan agent. Water+chemicals+bacteria sampling+scrubbing: doesn't seem cheap to maintain...

Sprouts
24-05-11, 20:50
Got a bizarre scenario on a one floor penthouse that i am considering to buy. Advise very welcomed
- single floor
- 2 bdrm
- slanted roof ( fairly steep angle)
- saw it twice and obtained the floor plan from management it looks like around 1000 sqft. Very small balcony and the 1000 includes the very small yard already.
- the recorded floor area was a surprising 1400 sqft ( confirmed by mgmt office)
- 99lh about 20 yrs in already
- good location hence why i wanted it in the first place

We ( including our agent) looked hard to see where the extra area come from but to no avail. What to do? The seller is insisting on a price tht woud not make sense if it is 1000 sqfr

kellogs
24-05-11, 20:52
I guess when in doubts, dont buy ... no point buy it now and regret later ... after all property is a big ticket item :)

Got a bizarre scenario on a one floor penthouse that i am considering to buy. Advise very welcomed
- single floor
- 2 bdrm
- saw it twice and obtained the floor plan from management it looks like around 1000 sqft. Very small balcony and the 1000 includes the very small yard already.
- the recorded floor area was a surprising 1400 sqft ( confirmed by mgmt office)

We ( including our agent) looked hard to see where the extra area come from but to no avail. What to do? The seller is insisting on a price tht woud not make sense if it is 1000 sqfr

DC33_2008
24-05-11, 20:55
I prefer penthouse that is at least 30th floor with no taller buildings around it.

hyenergix
24-05-11, 21:24
- single floor
- 2 bdrm

If it is loft, then owner might double count the floor area in the living room.

ysyap
24-05-11, 21:32
- single floor
- 2 bdrm

We ( including our agent) looked hard to see where the extra area come from but to no avail. What to do? The seller is insisting on a price tht woud not make sense if it is 1000 sqfrVery simple... get the seller to show you his purchase 20 years ago or whenever to proof its 1400 sq ft and that he really bought it as such and it must be recognized by URA. Otherwise it is pointless to argue with him. Just forget the deal altogether! :spliff:

hyenergix
24-05-11, 21:37
Forget that it might include the lift lobby and other common area like in Hong Kong :p

ysyap
24-05-11, 21:45
Forget that it might include the lift lobby and other common area like in Hong Kong :pI got a FH unit which is 17 years old... calculation of the floor area does not include lift so don't think this 20 yr old condo includes... :o

hyenergix
24-05-11, 21:48
Just joking... I would rather give up on this unit than pursue so much. 99LH with 20 years gone somemore :p

Sprouts
24-05-11, 22:06
Thanks for your thoughts.. But suppose the seller can only show me the ' legal' size but not the physical space then theres no point right even if he bought it as such 20 yrs ago

Sprouts
24-05-11, 22:09
If it is loft, then owner might double count the floor area in the living room.

What do you mean by a loft? Took a look at the floor plan and maybe thats how they come up with the extra space.
There isnt a second level or anything

ysyap
24-05-11, 22:15
Thanks for your thoughts.. But suppose the seller can only show me the ' legal' size but not the physical space then theres no point right even if he bought it as such 20 yrs agoSo if its the actual space you are looking for, then forget about this place simply coz its not there unless you build it up in the space. What I meant is if you can proof it's legal size, then when you sell, there's still a legal obligation to sell it without a loss or shrinkage in land size!!! You are protected so to speak!!! :D

hyenergix
24-05-11, 22:16
The owner may also mean you can build a mezzanine. Haha, just don't deal with dishonest sellers.

ysyap
24-05-11, 22:25
The owner may also mean you can build a mezzanine. Haha, just don't deal with dishonest sellers.You won't know they are dishonest until someone falls prey to their unscrupulous behavior! :scared-2:

Sprouts
24-05-11, 22:45
Thanks for that will make sure if i proceed ( coz my partner really likes it) i make sure the legal size is verified. Have to say Im less keen now seller seems suspect

amk
24-05-11, 22:55
Living room has double volume hence counted double. Nothing special. Very usual practice.
U should just look at the total package and see if u like the figure. Psf is meaningless for cases like this.
Some ppl like double volume living rooms because they can hang huge chandeliers

hopeful
24-05-11, 22:55
why not get a surveyor?
or check transacted caveat?
or check INLIS?
or check BCA?

does it have internal chute? maybe internal chute is huge :D. can throw a mattress down the chute.

ysyap
24-05-11, 22:56
Thanks for that will make sure if i proceed ( coz my partner really likes it) i make sure the legal size is verified. Have to say Im less keen now seller seems suspectMake him confess the truth and show the evidences!!! :scared-4:

hopeful
24-05-11, 22:59
Living room has double volume hence counted double. Nothing special. Very usual practice.
U should just look at the total package and see if u like the figure. Psf is meaningless for cases like this.
Some ppl like double volume living rooms because they can hang huge chandeliers

although usual practise, is it part of GFA calculation? When engage own surveyor, does surveyor count double volume also?

ysyap
24-05-11, 23:08
Not sure how usual is usual. I nearly bought a ground floor unit with double storey living room height. Agent told me can build a second storey in the living room and there was no double count for this space unless it is sold with double storey. Can't verify and didn't bother to probe! :D

amk
24-05-11, 23:15
although usual practise, is it part of GFA calculation? When engage own surveyor, does surveyor count double volume also?

GFA accepts such measurements as saleable area. If u meant does it count into plot ratio, no it does not. Which also means it can only remain as void, u cannot build a floor over it.

In Singapore practice, once a size of a unit is determined by a surveyor , it's fixed. There is no amendment. Unlike some other countries where the size of a unit is not fixed, but rather determined each time a survey is done.

When a developer did a double volume, it's actually up to the developer whether he wants to declare as such. Some do not double count , some do. Btw it must be more than a certain height to be eligible.

Look this is not cheating. If u look at the unit below u will know the floor area. It just sounds nice with a bigger number

ysyap
24-05-11, 23:27
GFA accepts such measurements as saleable area. If u meant does it count into plot ratio, no it does not. Which also means it can only remain as void, u cannot build a floor over it.

In Singapore practice, once a size of a unit is determined by a surveyor , it's fixed. There is no amendment. Unlike some other countries where the size of a unit is not fixed, but rather determined each time a survey is done.

When a developer did a double volume, it's actually up to the developer whether he wants to declare as such. Some do not double count , some do. Btw it must be more than a certain height to be eligible.

Look this is not cheating. If u look at the unit below u will know the floor area. It just sounds nice with a bigger numberAnd pay a whole lot more... not my cup of tea! :spliff2:

Sprouts
24-05-11, 23:35

Look this is not cheating. If u look at the unit below u will know the floor area. It just sounds nice with a bigger number
Thats quite absurd ( the rules i mean)
So can an extra floor be built if they double count the living room like that??

Sprouts
24-05-11, 23:40
why not get a surveyor?
or check transacted caveat?
or check INLIS?
or check BCA?

does it have internal chute? maybe internal chute is huge :D. can throw a mattress down the chute.
Apparently the owner agent verified on inlis.
Im a bit annoyed actually if it is usual usual shouldnt my agent know this??

ysyap
25-05-11, 06:33
Apparently the owner agent verified on inlis.
Im a bit annoyed actually if it is usual usual shouldnt my agent know this??It is usual to that owner and agent for that is how they calculate but usual to many of us. Although I did hear something like that but heard it only once some time back so its still usual. Best is check directly with URA. :)

amk
25-05-11, 11:44
So can an extra floor be built if they double count the living room like that?? no you cannot. it must remain void (air space only).

actually, dun get so worked up on this. it's just a number game. say its direct downstairs is 1000sqft, you know this "PH" unit is really just 1000sqft , *with a double volume ceiling*. developer originally just gave it a nice number to sound good. No ppl will pay the same psf as the lower floor for the "inflated" size. It's the same for terraces. no one will pay the same psf for terraces. Now do you value double volume (to hang chandelier ?) ? (I know some value terraces.) If you don't, then you dun pay for it. There is no need to argue about "unit size". You are paying a total sum, not a "psf".

DC33_2008
25-05-11, 12:14
High ceiling is good but too high means higher cooling load = higher electrical bill from air-conditioning. I still prefer the older condo with high ceiling of about 3.3m. That is good enough.
no you cannot. it must remain void (air space only).

actually, dun get so worked up on this. it's just a number game. say its direct downstairs is 1000sqft, you know this "PH" unit is really just 1000sqft , *with a double volume ceiling*. developer originally just gave it a nice number to sound good. No ppl will pay the same psf as the lower floor for the "inflated" size. It's the same for terraces. no one will pay the same psf for terraces. Now do you value double volume (to hang chandelier ?) ? (I know some value terraces.) If you don't, then you dun pay for it. There is no need to argue about "unit size". You are paying a total sum, not a "psf".

Sprouts
28-05-11, 09:58
Thanks a lot.. I still like tall ceiling but not willing to pay double la.. Have focused on another unit since and we like that one too.

ysyap
29-05-11, 14:48
Thanks a lot.. I still like tall ceiling but not willing to pay double la.. Have focused on another unit since and we like that one too.All the best in your relentless scout for that deam abode... :D