PDA

View Full Version : What price range ?

wt_know
14-02-11, 14:23
hi all,

i'm a newbie in buying property. i welcome government property cooling measures and looking forward to find my dream condo.

each time when i check propertyguru.com or look at the ads, the condo prices are rather "very high" that ranges from $950K to $1M for a decent 2+1 or 3 bedrooms condo. i'm refering to TOP or new developments and not old condo.

during the recent cna talking points, the so called analyst said the psf close to $1K for outskirt condo or mass-market-condo is too high.

so, what is the acceptable price range? my intention is to buy and stay for minumum 5 years and then sell to make a profit assuming capital appreciation or probably not for sale for a long time.

thanks !

taggy
14-02-11, 14:49
hi all,

i'm a newbie in buying property. i welcome government property cooling measures and looking forward to find my dream condo.

each time when i check propertyguru.com or look at the ads, the condo prices are rather "very high" that ranges from $950K to $1M for a decent 2+1 or 3 bedrooms condo. i'm refering to TOP or new developments and not old condo.

during the recent cna talking points, the so called analyst said the psf close to $1K for outskirt condo or mass-market-condo is too high.

so, what is the acceptable price range? my intention is to buy and stay for minumum 5 years and then sell to make a profit assuming capital appreciation or probably not for sale for a long time.

thanks !

i think the owners here will say 1.5kpsf is acceptable :D

wt_know
14-02-11, 14:54
that's ok. i understand from a owner point of view rather than a buyer point of view.

i'm looking at new condo and want to buy from developer directly :D

i think the owners here will say 1.5kpsf is acceptable :D

hopeful
14-02-11, 14:55
A) when economy crash, property is cheap, but banks unwilling to loan you.

B) when economy boom, property is expensive, but banks willing to loan you.

how much cash do you have?
Unless you are cash rich and take bank mortgage using Asset-based mortgages, I suggest you go for B).
So just do it.

Because when crash, and your property price drop, banks unlikely to ask you for top up if you service your loan on time.

blackpepperj
14-02-11, 15:00
hi all,

thanks !

How much are you willing to offer for the unit that you like? If the seller is not willing to sell you at that price and you believe the analyst, then you move on to the next units lor. That analyst prob missed the boat :)

azeoprop
14-02-11, 15:18
I think for new launch or already launched mass market condo, the minimum pricing to buy from the developer for a 2+1 or 3 bedroom now is around 800psf.

:)

sh
14-02-11, 18:09
that's ok. i understand from a owner point of view rather than a buyer point of view.

But why do you want to buy new, from the developer? The premium you're paying for new is very high. :beats-me-man: Compare what you can get for new and slightly old, you'll get much better value. Can renovate to your taste with the price difference.

kingkong1984
14-02-11, 18:23
I think for new launch or already launched mass market condo, the minimum pricing to buy from the developer for a 2+1 or 3 bedroom now is around 800psf.

rooms can be misleading. 2+1 can be >1000 sqf and 3 bedder can be smaller than <1000 sqf.

Did a quick analysis using Jan 2011 caveats for size 753 sqf to 797 sqf

720 psf = 1, Sherwood tower $566k 786 sized.

841 psf = 1, Hillview green $670k, 797 sized.

873 psf = 1, Waterview, $686k, 786 sized.

1077 psf = 1, Central green, $835k, 775 sized.

1187 psf = 1, Santuary green, $920k, 775 sized

1239 psf = 1, Santuary green, $960k, 775 sized

1329 psf = 1, D'Chateau@shelford , $1.03m, 775 sized

1460 psf = 1, Zedge, $1.10m, 753 sized

1476 psf = 1, The LevelZ, $1.16m, 786 sized

1569 psf = 1, Novena Suites, $1.25m, 797 sized

1710 psf = 1, Icon, $1.34m, 786 sized

1838 psf = 1, Zenith $1.385m, 753 sized

1845 psf = 1, The Clift, $1.43m, 775 sized

1878 psf = 1, The Pier at Robertson, $1.415m, 753 sized.

2508 psf = 1, Altez, $1.89m, 753 sized.

Total deals = 15

for new launch benchmark, wait for caveats to come in. Based on the above. Hillview Regency is really a good buy (price wise)

devilplate
14-02-11, 21:04

another eg of' want new and fresh' but at older resale price...

wait till next global recession bah...i guess next OCR trough(new project) shd be ard 800-850psf for those near MRT

devilplate
14-02-11, 21:06

tats for sembawang and not near MRT

EC lor...still got plenty 650psf now...hehe

Laguna
14-02-11, 22:04
hi all,

my intention is to buy and stay for minumum 5 years and then sell to make a profit assuming capital appreciation or probably not for sale for a long time.

thanks !

just a few words
1. all asset classes have cycle, so dun assume u will make monies all the time.
2. if u sell high, u always end up buying higher, and commit more. So many caught when they committed the most. It then becomes disaster.
3. i always share with the younger ones that to stay cheap if u dun hv the capacity or limited capacity, then use the extra to spin more monies. In other words, dun tie down all your capital in a place to stay.

penguin
14-02-11, 22:47
just a few words
2. if u sell high, u always end up buying higher, and commit more. So many caught when they committed the most. It then becomes disaster.
3. i always share with the younger ones that to stay cheap if u dun hv the capacity or limited capacity, then use the extra to spin more monies. In other words, dun tie down all your capital in a place to stay.

Hi Laguna,

Yes this is very good advice as it's very true, esp #2.
As for #3, what you suggest in this current market? - to use all ur monies to fully pay up ur place to stay (and then when ppty market cycle is down then take equity loan to invest again), or to keep some monies aside now for potential investment-grade pptys...which we may not find in the near future, and taking into account rising interest rates this yr.

devilplate
14-02-11, 22:52
Hi Laguna,

As for #3, what you suggest in this current market? - to use all ur monies to fully pay up ur place to stay (and then when ppty market cycle is down then take equity loan to invest again), or to keep some monies aside now for potential investment-grade pptys...which we may not find in the near future, and taking into account rising interest rates this yr.

kapo again...haha

since oredi got a ppty...just keep spare cash on hand....be it for rainy days or future opportunities....

however if got spare cash but no ppty at all now....vy tough choice....i wud recommend to buy a smaller or cheaper location or even HDB and save some cash on hand:2cents:

land118
14-02-11, 23:26
just a few words
3. i always share with the younger ones that to stay cheap if u dun hv the capacity or limited capacity, then use the extra to spin more monies. In other words, dun tie down all your capital in a place to stay. good advice, actually most of us know what to do, but majority of us lack the financial discipline. We know need to keep some liquid assets or cash to have spare bullet$ when opportunity presents, but most of the time we tend to follow and herd like the rest.

hopeful
15-02-11, 04:42
Hi Laguna,

when economy down, property market down, how much do you think your property is worth then?
when economy down, banks have higher lending requirements. :2cents:
this 2008 crisis is odd in that it results in very low interest rates, usually when crisis happens, interest rates shoot up.

hyenergix
15-02-11, 04:54
hi all,

thanks !

For 3-bedder, $1 mil is acceptable if it is new FH/999, and $850k is acceptable if 99LH. But they are harder to find these days. I doubt you can sell for a profit in 5 years' time because many people will be trying to sub-sale their new condo. Yours will be considered an old condo by then.

kingkong1984
15-02-11, 05:30
For 3-bedder, $1 mil is acceptable if it is new FH/999, and $850k is acceptable if 99LH. But they are harder to find these days. I doubt you can sell for a profit in 5 years' time because many people will be trying to sub-sale their new condo. Yours will be considered an old condo by then.

Well... bedders are very misleading. I think this criteria is better. by Size!

1000 to 1250 sqf = $ 850K - $900k
750 to 1000 sqf = $750K - $800k

FH, add 10% to 20%

EC, minus 10% to 20%

Near MRT, add 5% to 10%

New, add 5% to 10% more

CCR multiply by 3x
RCR multiply by 2x
OCR mulitiply by 1x

Wait for the launch price of H 2 O (Have to OWE - not fully paid or Have to OWN, fully paid). But you could market it as Have 2 0 = OO, which is 8 sleeping.

kingkong1984
15-02-11, 05:41
older must discount

1 to 3 years = 1% to 5%
3 to 5 years = 5% to 10%
5 to 10 years = 10% to 15%

rough guide only.

silver023
15-02-11, 07:03
But why do you want to buy new, from the developer? The premium you're paying for new is very high. :beats-me-man: Compare what you can get for new and slightly old, you'll get much better value. Can renovate to your taste with the price difference.

Agree - don't assume developer gives the best price. They do raise their prices according to market sentiment, and they are sometimes the ones who lead the price increase. I'd rather go for those properties that are almost TOP or just TOP. Best to see the rooms for yourself, too many complaints about small sizes when owners get keys.

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:04
any recommendation ;)

Well... bedders are very misleading. I think this criteria is better. by Size!

750 to 1000 sqf = $750K - $800k

FH, add 10% to 20%

EC, minus 10% to 20%

Near MRT, add 5% to 10%

New, add 5% to 10% more

CCR multiply by 3x
RCR multiply by 2x
OCR mulitiply by 1x

Wait for the launch price of H 2 O (Have to OWE - not fully paid or Have to OWN, fully paid). But you could market it as Have 2 0 = OO, which is 8 sleeping.

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:08
yeah. $850K for a 99LH 3-bedder is indeed very hard to find :(
the suggestion of selling in 5 years time is very premature. like i said, most likely not going to sell as this will be my dream home for my family :)

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:15
thanks for your advice.

1. property to me is for long term. by mean of long term is to stay for years and sell if only there is considerable profit. if not, continue to stay or rent out.

2. that's what i'm afraid to end up. buy high. colleague advise that even you buy high, since you are not flipping the property then just stay la. 10 years down the road, property price will still go up due to tiny singapore and population grow. but, why should i buy high and service high loan, right ?

just a few words

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:18
if cannot get new and fresh at older resale price but 'corrected' price okie ? isn't 2010 price is highly speculated ?

another eg of' want new and fresh' but at older resale price...

wait till next global recession bah...i guess next OCR trough(new project) shd be ard 800-850psf for those near MRT

mantrix
15-02-11, 07:26
if cannot get new and fresh at older resale price but 'corrected' price okie ? isn't 2010 price is highly speculated ?

If you think 2010 was bad 2011's gonna be worse....

Laguna
15-02-11, 07:46
Hi Laguna,

my 2 cts thoughts

1. equity loan is not that easy to get and costly. I was looking around lately for equity loans, using my fully paid properties as collateral, to finance property purchase, the deal was not that great.

2. asset mgt : suggest to have some forms of assets in very liquid form, and with good yield, ie,. higher than the mortgage rate, then it will make sense. Property is the worst in term of liquidity, especially so if it is a buyers' market.

3. If ur not able to invest with good yield and capital appreication, then u can consider to fully pay up your property. Personally, I dun encourage.

So fundamentally, u need to equip good investment knowledge and action. Property is not the only means to make monies.

kingkong1984
15-02-11, 07:46
any recommendation ;)

I believe u know where to find.

What is your need? Is it a need or want.

If need, think long term, buy now if not price go higher. It's only natural for properties to go up. Not easy for it to go down.

Which area r u looking at? I might be able to share my views. Any district in mind?

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:53
ok. i thought the cooling measure will at least correct property price (not crash). if property price continue to spike then i should :banghead:

If you think 2010 was bad 2011's gonna be worse....

wt_know
15-02-11, 07:57
i'm living in choa chu kang and till now i still prefer to stay in the west. but, i don't think there is a barrier to move to other sides if the property is good (ie: near mrt, amenities, expressway, etc)

I believe u know where to find.

What is your need? Is it a need or want.

If need, think long term, buy now if not price go higher. It's only natural for properties to go up. Not easy for it to go down.

Which area r u looking at? I might be able to share my views. Any district in mind?

fooblackie
15-02-11, 08:12
i'm living in choa chu kang and till now i still prefer to stay in the west. but, i don't think there is a barrier to move to other sides if the property is good (ie: near mrt, amenities, expressway, etc)

since you are familiar in CCK, why dun you wait for the EC launch besides Mi Casa? It will be brand new and should be ard $700psf thereabouts? It is near MRT amenities.

I am assuming you meet the requirements and salary ceiling...

wt_know
15-02-11, 08:30
can't get EC. exceed ceiling already ;)

since you are familiar in CCK, why dun you wait for the EC launch besides Mi Casa? It will be brand new and should be ard $700psf thereabouts? It is near MRT amenities.

I am assuming you meet the requirements and salary ceiling...

hopeful
15-02-11, 09:03
deleted post......

extremme
15-02-11, 13:23
can't get EC. exceed ceiling already ;)
then maybe u can consider laksa mee aka mi casa which is still transacting at $750 - $900 psf? or old condo like lucky gardens, warren , or those in hillview area.. hillview should be about $850 - $950 psf now

Wild Falcon
15-02-11, 13:31
99LH Got lah. Look harder. A recent Gulin View 1259sq ft 3 bedder only transacted for 815k or so (pretty decent buy). And one of the forummer bought Regent Hts 3 bedder high floor for only 700+k... Good deals exist - just have to look harder. And Mi Casa not too ex as well.

yeah. $850K for a 99LH 3-bedder is indeed very hard to find :(
the suggestion of selling in 5 years time is very premature. like i said, most likely not going to sell as this will be my dream home for my family :)

hyenergix
15-02-11, 15:17
Old ones plenty of bargain deals. He is referring to the new ones.

fooblackie
15-02-11, 15:33
Old ones plenty of bargain deals. He is referring to the new ones.

new ones are so highly priced now. the mkt is capitalising on the premiumed pricing which typical singaporean will fall prey on - want fresh, want good, want new.

that's why Tennery and Lakefront can price themselves more than 30% above their neighbours developments. LH somemore..

why dun take a cheaper unit (best if freehold), use the cash savings to fully renovate the place (about $50k). Most impt is the unit must feel new, not the development itself.

just my 2 :2cents:

kingkong1984
15-02-11, 16:03
Wait for H20 launch price. If more ex than waterfront Isle, go there and look for new or subsales beside it.

If die die want choa chu kang and dun mind old, can consider palm. Otherwise, if dub mind west, try lakeholmz, parc vista, caspian

wt_know
15-02-11, 17:29
i have to admit that's my problem.
i guess i have to adjust it based on pricing liao - how much <> how new

new ones are so highly priced now. the mkt is capitalising on the premiumed pricing which typical singaporean will fall prey on - want fresh, want good, want new.

that's why Tennery and Lakefront can price themselves more than 30% above their neighbours developments. LH somemore..

why dun take a cheaper unit (best if freehold), use the cash savings to fully renovate the place (about $50k). Most impt is the unit must feel new, not the development itself.

just my 2 :2cents:

wt_know
15-02-11, 17:31
thanks. few questions

1. subsales means more expensive than it was listed for sale initially right ?

2. if looking for old one, how to gauge the pricing in term of age especially counting down from 99 years (ie: 5, 10, >10 years old property)

Wait for H20 launch price. If more ex than waterfront Isle, go there and look for new or subsales beside it.

If die die want choa chu kang and dun mind old, can consider palm. Otherwise, if dub mind west, try lakeholmz, parc vista, caspian

sh
15-02-11, 21:52
If you're willing to pay premium for new LH, why don't you use the same premium to pay for an older FH.

Property is a store of wealth for the long term. A LH property runs contrary to that assumption because of diminishing tenure.

You wouldn't regret getting a FH property... it's forever literally....:)

wt_know
15-02-11, 22:15
good point. not long ago, i watch a cna program talk about LH vs FH.
i could not remember the entire explanation but i recall vaguely that if the property is not 'enbloc' or something like that, there is not much difference between LH vs FH especially if the owner sell the property way before 99 years lease is up, which is the case for majority mass market condo. i do understand FH is definitely better and naturally more expensive

If you're willing to pay premium for new LH, why don't you use the same premium to pay for an older FH.

Property is a store of wealth for the long term. A LH property runs contrary to that assumption because of diminishing tenure.

sh
15-02-11, 22:26
good point. not long ago, i watch a cna program talk about LH vs FH.
i could not remember the entire explanation but i recall vaguely that if the property is not 'enbloc' or something like that, there is not much difference between LH vs FH especially if the owner sell the property way before 99 years lease is up, which is the case for majority mass market condo. i do understand FH is definitely better and naturally more expensive

There are a lot of people that are advising that buying LH is the same as FH because the both will go enbloc in the future anyway.

That is not NOT true. Even if a LH land goes enbloc, its value diminishes as its 99yrs run out. The developer buying the land has pay "differential premium" to SLA to top up the land back to 99yrs.

http://www.sla.gov.sg/doc/ser/DP%20policy%20wef%2018%20Jul%202007.pdf

There's a table in the link above to shows the accelerating depreciation of your LH property against FH property as defined by SLA. The table is also a guide to your earlier question on how much less you should pay for a older LH property.

The more the developer has to pay SLA, the less they will pay the owners. No such issue with FH. FH may have to pay development charge if the land use is intensified, but LH has to pay much much more.....

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 03:42
thanks. few questions

1. subsales means more expensive than it was listed for sale initially right ?

2. if looking for old one, how to gauge the pricing in term of age especially counting down from 99 years (ie: 5, 10, >10 years old property)

Yes, typically sub sales are more expansive unless firesales.

Old one play catching up of new developments near by. Look at Warren, Palm, north vale etc. All play catching up to Mi Casa and Tree House. No exact science.

LH top up? Not your problem. Won't happen in your life time.

Developers problem, will be part of their enblock costing considerations which will be passed on eventually to next buyers.

U r buying just one unit. Dun need to think like a developer. Think small fish. A unit that can house u and ur love ones comfortably will do. Just that bare basic need. All others are wants.

Fighting fish and arrowana need different houses and life style. They eat and live differently. R u a arrowana or a fighting fish? HDB folks are mainly fighting fishes. CCR folks are arrowana,s. Those that drive super sports car and lives in GCBs are Super red arrowana. Those who stay in semi d's are red tail golden. Those who stay in terraces are golden. The green ones stay at Bukit timah area.:)

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 03:47

In Singaoore.. Nothing is freehold as it can be acquired by govt at market prices anytime. U also fear enblocks and be forced to move out against your will at times. Go read those gilman heights owner who had planned to retire there but got forced out and could only afford hdbs.

Fh landed good, but fh condo... U majority?

wt_know
16-02-11, 07:07
Yes, typically sub sales are more expansive unless firesales.
Noted.

Old one play catching up of new developments near by. Look at Warren, Palm, north vale etc. All play catching up to Mi Casa and Tree House. No exact science.

LH top up? Not your problem. Won't happen in your life time.

Developers problem, will be part of their enblock costing considerations which will be passed on eventually to next buyers.

U r buying just one unit. Dun need to think like a developer. Think small fish. A unit that can house u and ur love ones comfortably will do. Just that bare basic need. All others are wants.

Yup. If condo is 10 years now + I buy and stay another 10 years, it is only 20 years and still got 79 years to go before LH lease up. But, I think I should sell before 30 years mark as these are the units target for enbloc as the property is getting old

Fighting fish and arrowana need different houses and life style. They eat and live differently. R u a arrowana or a fighting fish? HDB folks are mainly fighting fishes. CCR folks are arrowana,s. Those that drive super sports car and lives in GCBs are Super red arrowana. Those who stay in semi d's are red tail golden. Those who stay in terraces are golden. The green ones stay at Bukit timah area.:)
Ok. Will think like small fish for a small need :D

sh
16-02-11, 07:15

Do you really think the the top up pass will not come from you? It will come from the next buyers?

The developers buy land based on current market prices, say X. The land cost includes whatever they need to top up, say Y. What they will pay you is X-Y (for LH). If it's FH, there's no Y, you get paid X. get it?:cool:

wt_know
16-02-11, 07:19
i assume what he meant is i could have sold the unit long before enbloc happen unless i'm buying a unit that is potentially enbloc ... hehe

Do you really think the the top up pass will not come from you? It will come from the next buyers?

The developers buy land based on current market prices, say X. The land cost includes whatever they need to top up, say Y. What they will pay you is X-Y.

sh
16-02-11, 07:24
yeah, depends on your time horizon.

fooblackie
16-02-11, 08:38
Noted.

Yup. If condo is 10 years now + I buy and stay another 10 years, it is only 20 years and still got 79 years to go before LH lease up. But, I think I should sell before 30 years mark as these are the units target for enbloc as the property is getting old

Ok. Will think like small fish for a small need :D

think it is not rational to bank on en-bloc opportunities. too many uncertainities and it really depends on alots of unknowns. Even the development near to MRT do not exactly know for sure if enbloc can happen, when and whether worthwhile.

if buying for self-stay, think no need to speculate too much. Most impt is that it meets our requirements and we are happy with it in terms of location, floor plan and price. Even if really got en-bloc potential but the development sucks, would you buy it for that sole reason?

Capital appreciation in this current market is highly volatile so no pt speculating so much. Most of us are unable to predict what happens tomorrow much less 5-10 yrs down the road.

mantrix
16-02-11, 09:05
even if LH, as long as you buy one with a full 99 lease or one that is 10 years and younger, there is plenty of time.

FH comes into play when one has uncovered the secrets of immortality.

Else for a mortal, 99LH is enough - most buildings do not last more than 40-50 years and if en-bloc, true you get lesser but you do not need to top up (unless you buy one that is ending its lease in a few years time - so far there is no history what happens then)

If your estate is mass enough, would the government take it by force and leave 600 households homeless?

If your building is so special, then they will conserve it instead :D

:2cents:

Wild Falcon
16-02-11, 09:19
Take an extreme example. If you 99LH condo is left 10 years, it is only worth 10% of what it used to be. Developer will need to top up 90 years (to the government) and only pay you 9 years worth of "lease". How much will the 9 year lease be? Very little - the bulk of the monies go to the govt for top-up. The reason why you have not seen this is Singapore is a young country independent for only 40+ years. But if you know of some LH landed which is worth only 100k today, then you will understand. There are so many 99Lh condo today - not everyone will get to enbloc. Either that or some may have to beg the developer to buy the 9 year lease at a horrible price becos no owner can afford to buy the property all over again - imagine topping up 90 years. I suspect in the future might be able to top up less years so that the quantum is more palatable to those with lease term running down.

even if LH, as long as you buy one with a full 99 lease or one that is 10 years and younger, there is plenty of time.

FH comes into play when one has uncovered the secrets of immortality.

Else for a mortal, 99LH is enough - most buildings do not last more than 40-50 years and if en-bloc, true you get lesser but you do not need to top up (unless you buy one that is ending its lease in a few years time - so far there is no history what happens then)

If your estate is mass enough, would the government take it by force and leave 600 households homeless?

If your building is so special, then they will conserve it instead :D

:2cents:

fooblackie
16-02-11, 10:49
Take an extreme example. If you 99LH condo is left 10 years, it is only worth 10% of what it used to be. Developer will need to top up 90 years (to the government) and only pay you 9 years worth of "lease". How much will the 9 year lease be? Very little - the bulk of the monies go to the govt for top-up. The reason why you have not seen this is Singapore is a young country independent for only 40+ years. But if you know of some LH landed which is worth only 100k today, then you will understand. There are so many 99Lh condo today - not everyone will get to enbloc. Either that or some may have to beg the developer to buy the 9 year lease at a horrible price becos no owner can afford to buy the property all over again - imagine topping up 90 years. I suspect in the future might be able to top up less years so that the quantum is more palatable to those with lease term running down.

yeah, seems like a logical outcome esp for mass mkt developments. Govt wont be so heartless to take back the land and cause so many homeless families.

In anycase, our generations may unlikely see this in our lifetime seems most of our LH ppty are usually about 10 yrs old? long way to go...

Wild Falcon
16-02-11, 11:14
Yah. Your children will know lah or if you buy an older 40 year old property. But just bear in mind u will always get lesser proceeds in an enbloc. I'm sure the govt will take back the land but of course with ample notice and maybe allow partial top up etc. Or else it is not fair for others who pay a premium for FH land. Agreements have to be honoured.

yeah, seems like a logical outcome esp for mass mkt developments. Govt wont be so heartless to take back the land and cause so many homeless families.

In anycase, our generations may unlikely see this in our lifetime seems most of our LH ppty are usually about 10 yrs old? long way to go...

focus
16-02-11, 11:15
So far, The discussion about 99LH value is about the percentage of decline versus a new 99LH.

I think we also need to take into account the time value of money. My assumption is $1 today will be smaller in value 30yrs from now due to inflation.

For example, a 5room HDB cost $48k in 1979 that got sold 30yrs later in 2010 at $610k. How is it possible? Well, $1 dollar have been getting smaller this past 30yrs.

Now, we take into account the said 30% decline in value to justify using the LH for 30yrs versus a new 99LH market value. Again new 99LH 5room HDB is selling for around $750k, 30% decline should mean $525k is the correct valuation. So, in a hot market, the HDB flat was actually sold $85k above Valuation.

The owner end up getting $610k but they paid $48k. Did the owner end up worse? One possible loss might the opportunity cost of tying up capital in a house that does not give you significant price increase, but if it's for own stay, i think it's ok to ignore the 99LH status when buying new property.

So, my own limited experience seems to suggest that buying a NEW 99LH is safe as long as you sell in 20 to 30yrs time(even after taking into acct the 30% decline), taking into account the time value of money and the 20-30% depreciation in a used LH, you will still be better old. But believe 10-15yrs old property easier to sell.

UNLESS OF COURSE...Singapore ends up in a deflationary state....

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 12:15
correct.

Inflation adds more than the devaluation loss... or depreciating table.

as a rule. Follow HDB ruling and pricing. same sized HDB in the same District. Pay no more than 2x for Condo.

Whatever LH issues, if Majority HDB folks are on it, Why bother.

You buy what you can afford always applies to a safe and prudent buy. Make money or not is pointless as you will always need 1 roof over head. Unless it is investing, then u think a lot harder.

Go For The Smallest Unit that meet your needs most! You won't go wrong with that.

fooblackie
16-02-11, 12:33
correct.

as a rule. Follow HDB ruling and pricing. same sized HDB in the same District. Pay no more than 2x for Condo.

You buy what you can afford always applies to a safe and prudent buy. Make money or not is pointless as you will always need 1 roof over head. Unless it is investing, then u think a lot harder.

Go For The Smallest Unit that meet your needs most! You won't go wrong with that.

interesting togt abt 2X HDB pricing...

where in SG do we see this at the moment? Lakefront and Tennery?? :ashamed1:

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 12:45
Those more than 2x. If so. Overpriced and good luck

thomastansb
16-02-11, 12:53
It is really hard to tell. Singapore Government not tested on this yet. Most of our oldest estates have 60 years left. And we have a lot of en bloc for old estates but good location/view. Logic tells us Government won't chase the whole block (especially hdb) out because where are you going to stay? 600 families sleep on the street, the whole Singapore protest.

Anyway, bottom line is no condo or apartment or HDB can last 99 years (logical thinking here). You take a look at those very old flats like telok blangah or lavendar. Those are like super old and cost more to maintain than to rebuild. And it has 60 years to go but I don't think it can last 60 years. Seriously, NO. No condo/apartment can last 99 years. Either en bloc or whatever, we don't care. Maybe in 2040 or 2050, it is a bigger problem for the Government. By then, I might not be in this world anymore.

Yah. Your children will know lah or if you buy an older 40 year old property. But just bear in mind u will always get lesser proceeds in an enbloc. I'm sure the govt will take back the land but of course with ample notice and maybe allow partial top up etc. Or else it is not fair for others who pay a premium for FH land. Agreements have to be honoured.

Wild Falcon
16-02-11, 13:19
Wrong. It's worth nothing after 99 years. It will not cover inflation. It's meant to be depreciating - in Singapore a lot of people don't know. that's is why a property with 60 years left is still advertised as "99LH". Ignorance is bliss.

HDB is different - got SERS. Private u just have to go around asking for enbloc and your bargaining power will decrease as your property ages. A lot of 99LH condos lease term will run down at the same time. That is when all will be begging for enbloc at low prices. That is why the Bayshore Park/Laguna have so much infighting (today's news got Bayshore suing each other again). Those who know who wants out soon - knowing every single year will eat into their proceeds vs those who doesn't care about dying in a property that will be worth quite little.

correct.

Wild Falcon
16-02-11, 13:25
HDB = everyone assumes is freehold due to SERS.

99LH property? You better look for enbloc when your property runs old. It doesn't matter. And don't compare against 40 years ago when SG is a developing country growing at breakneck speed. Do you really believe a 480k 5 room flat will become 4.8 million in 30 years time? The world is no longer growing that fast leh.

So far, The discussion about 99LH value is about the percentage of decline versus a new 99LH.

I think we also need to take into account the time value of money. My assumption is $1 today will be smaller in value 30yrs from now due to inflation.

For example, a 5room HDB cost $48k in 1979 that got sold 30yrs later in 2010 at $610k. How is it possible? Well, $1 dollar have been getting smaller this past 30yrs.

Now, we take into account the said 30% decline in value to justify using the LH for 30yrs versus a new 99LH market value. Again new 99LH 5room HDB is selling for around $750k, 30% decline should mean $525k is the correct valuation. So, in a hot market, the HDB flat was actually sold $85k above Valuation.

The owner end up getting $610k but they paid $48k. Did the owner end up worse? One possible loss might the opportunity cost of tying up capital in a house that does not give you significant price increase, but if it's for own stay, i think it's ok to ignore the 99LH status when buying new property.

So, my own limited experience seems to suggest that buying a NEW 99LH is safe as long as you sell in 20 to 30yrs time(even after taking into acct the 30% decline), taking into account the time value of money and the 20-30% depreciation in a used LH, you will still be better old. But believe 10-15yrs old property easier to sell.

UNLESS OF COURSE...Singapore ends up in a deflationary state....

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 13:37
U sure?

100 k apartment in 1980s. 30 yr later, at least 500k. Now u tell me depreciating or what? Of course if u pump into FH, u get more but that's not the point.

cheerful
16-02-11, 14:10
Actually if you've read today's forum (think shld be Today) ... someone was asking how come some really old hdb not being chosen for SERS while others with more yrs of lease remaining were so fortunately picked .... got some with really few years lease left lah

It is really hard to tell. Singapore Government not tested on this yet. Most of our oldest estates have 60 years left. And we have a lot of en bloc for old estates but good location/view. Logic tells us Government won't chase the whole block (especially hdb) out because where are you going to stay? 600 families sleep on the street, the whole Singapore protest.

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 16:45
Well, better plans for the land occupied by SERs.

Too old become heritage or conservation Liao. Must keep some outdated ones to show progress mah.

hyenergix
16-02-11, 21:32
Actually if you've read today's forum (think shld be Today) ... someone was asking how come some really old hdb not being chosen for SERS while others with more yrs of lease remaining were so fortunately picked .... got some with really few years lease left lah

Usually those near town centers will get SERS. Those far outside can wait looooonnnng looooooonnng.

sh
16-02-11, 21:39
If you're a long term investor. go for FH. A LH property will not appreciate as much as a FH property over the long run, assuming other conditions remain constant. Don't think anyone can argue against that.:)

I'm quite happy that there are a lot out there that thinks LH as good as FH. (i think a lot of this talk is propagated by agents trying to move LH property) That will keep the FH prices low..... so I can buy more FH for less:D

gilaone
16-02-11, 22:08
ok. i thought the cooling measure will at least correct property price (not crash). if property price continue to spike then i should :banghead:

Came across a property guru once said: "Property is buy and wait. Not wait and buy" :D :D

kingkong1984
16-02-11, 23:31
Came across a property guru once said: "Property is buy and wait. Not wait and buy" :D :D

He didnt tell u this...

Property is buy (low) and wait (for suckers). Not wait for suckers and buy (high).

thomastansb
17-02-11, 00:02
Nope, disagree. FH or LH, I go for location and pricing.

If you're a long term investor. go for FH. A LH property will not appreciate as much as a FH property over the long run, assuming other conditions remain constant. Don't think anyone can argue against that.:)

I'm quite happy that there are a lot out there that thinks LH as good as FH. (i think a lot of this talk is propagated by agents trying to move LH property) That will keep the FH prices low..... so I can buy more FH for less:D

kingkong1984
17-02-11, 03:58
Yup, location is what u can see and touch. U feel the difference with LH and FH meh. All perception only. As long as can make decent gain, who cares LH or not.

Some FH properties very cheap because at lousy places.

sh
17-02-11, 10:49

How this all this FH/LH discussion started when I suggested to WT to use the premium for new 99LH to buy older FH instead. ie. same location, but older FH instead for new LH at the same price....

I still stand by my suggestion.:)

devilplate
17-02-11, 10:51
boils down to how old is the 99LH? <10yo shd be fine during bull run....during recession bio those >10yo:D

EBD
17-02-11, 12:49
Sounds logical, but may not turn out to be true.
In Singapore timing I'm afraid is more important than even LH or FH.

My old LH got "enblocked" 6 months after the FH condo on the other side of the same street.
We got nearly double their price. Go figure.......

There are a lot of people that are advising that buying LH is the same as FH because the both will go enbloc in the future anyway.

That is not NOT true. Even if a LH land goes enbloc, its value diminishes as its 99yrs run out. The developer buying the land has pay "differential premium" to SLA to top up the land back to 99yrs.

http://www.sla.gov.sg/doc/ser/DP%20policy%20wef%2018%20Jul%202007.pdf

There's a table in the link above to shows the accelerating depreciation of your LH property against FH property as defined by SLA. The table is also a guide to your earlier question on how much less you should pay for a older LH property.

The more the developer has to pay SLA, the less they will pay the owners. No such issue with FH. FH may have to pay development charge if the land use is intensified, but LH has to pay much much more.....

thomastansb
17-02-11, 13:30
Which HDB? I don't think a few years lease left. That is impossible. The early flats built are marina parade those kind. Those are 40+ years old only and are the pioneer batch. I guess the oldest HDB flats is 50 years old at most? So left 50 years lease.

Wild Falcon
18-02-11, 11:01
Because u have not witnessed what happens when your lease term is going to expire. And 20 years later, there will be so many condos so desperate to enbloc - they will be begging. It would be interesting and lease topup to the government will be phenomenal assuming the land value keeps increasing - which means the enbloc proceeds left for watever lease left will be pathetic. And remember, the developer will always prefer to take the FH land becos (i) like FEO they can cut out the lease as leasehold and their future generations will own the land forever (ii) they don't have to pay for the lease topup which make sense economically n can give more carrots to the owners.

Don't see the past to predict the future. But if u see how some landed property is valued so little when the lease term runs down, it gives u some clues. But if u intend to flip within few years type, then doesn't matter. But if u love a place and want to live there till end of your time and not worry about people vandalising your car, suing you and chasing u out (Bayshore, Laguna), then freehold is better.

Laguna
18-02-11, 11:05
Because u have not witnessed what happens when your lease term is going to expire. And 20 years later, there will be so many condos so desperate to enbloc - they will be begging.

I think one of the key considerations, is perhaps 20 years later, what will happen to all the 99LH.

If there is no change in masterplan and plot ratio, then technically, all the new 99LH, which have alr built to the max, will have limited potential to enbloc, unless the enbloc is really very cheap or the property price then is very very high.

fclim
18-02-11, 11:22
How this all this FH/LH discussion started when I suggested to WT to use the premium for new 99LH to buy older FH instead. ie. same location, but older FH instead for new LH at the same price....

I still stand by my suggestion.:)

It's always location, location and location. Compare Bishan Loft (99-yr LH, EC) and Seletaris (FH). Or even Chuan Park (30 years old, 99-yr LH). Both 99-yr LH projects are selling at a higher psf than Seletaris. Why?

hopeful
18-02-11, 11:26
.......And remember, the developer will always prefer to take the FH land becos (i) like FEO they can cut out the lease as leasehold and their future generations will own the land forever .......
If Leasehold is cheaper than FH by 20%.
wondering whether FEO has done the FV of that 20% 103 years down the road :scared-1:.
that 20% money compounded 103years........if 5% annually, that is a big sum of money.

Wild Falcon
18-02-11, 13:07
Try 20 years later and compare. BTW, Bishan Loft is one of (if not the) WORST investment. After 10 years still hardly breakeven.

I'm saying all else being equal, there is a difference. I hate people who shout location location location - it's say passe. Its location at what price? At that location, is it over or undervalued? So it Cyan at 2700, a co-called "good" location a good buy? Just think about it.

It's always location, location and location. Compare Bishan Loft (99-yr LH, EC) and Seletaris (FH). Or even Chuan Park (30 years old, 99-yr LH). Both 99-yr LH projects are selling at a higher psf than Seletaris. Why?

Wild Falcon
18-02-11, 13:12
Nah. At launch, There is hardly any price differential. As time goes up, you will realise the price start to deviate vs the freehold in the same area. For those area purely mass market 99LH like Bishan etc, its not obvious becos FH is non-existent and most buyers are upgraders. Try the Novena and Bukit Timah and you will see the deviation.

If Leasehold is cheaper than FH by 20%.
wondering whether FEO has done the FV of that 20% 103 years down the road :scared-1:.
that 20% money compounded 103years........if 5% annually, that is a big sum of money.

amk
18-02-11, 13:12
BTW, Bishan Loft is one of (if not the) WORST investment. After 10 years still hardly breakeven.

I think u got mistaken. I think u meant Bishan 8. Bishan Loft is doing well.

Wild Falcon
18-02-11, 13:17
Oops. Thanks for the correction. Nevertheless, Bishan is not a good example because there aint freehold to see the deviation of prices as time goes by.

I've nothing against 99LH - might be good investment but must let go before it becomes too old and when lease topup becomes too exorbitant...

I think u got mistaken. I think u meant Bishan 8. Bishan Loft is doing well.

hopeful
18-02-11, 13:20
Nah. At launch, There is hardly any price differential. As time goes up, you will realise the price start to deviate vs the freehold in the same area. For those area purely mass market 99LH like Bishan etc, its not obvious becos FH is non-existent and most buyers are upgraders. Try the Novena and Bukit Timah and you will see the deviation.

so if LH and FH has hardly any price differential, then it makes sense for FEO and all other developer to buy FH and sell LH.

sh
18-02-11, 17:56
buying a FH turn LH from FEO is worse than buying LH from government land sales. Government is more likely to top up the LH land in the event of a future enbloc. What do you think your chances are when you ask FEO for a top up?:eek: :banghead:

fclim
22-02-11, 13:43
Try 20 years later and compare. BTW, Bishan Loft is one of (if not the) WORST investment. After 10 years still hardly breakeven.

I'm saying all else being equal, there is a difference. I hate people who shout location location location - it's say passe. Its location at what price? At that location, is it over or undervalued? So it Cyan at 2700, a co-called "good" location a good buy? Just think about it.

IF all else being equal, then it is obvious. But, nothing is ever equal is it? Whether it is location, price, tenure, developer, look of the property etc. That's why people have difficulty deciding as financial resources are limited. So, it is pointless to use "all else being equal" because it never is.

teddybear
22-02-11, 15:03
So what if Cyan at $2700 psf? At $2700 psf means not good location anymore because of the price? :doh:
Even your HillView at $500 psf still lousy location anyway, I still won't buy :p.

westman
22-02-11, 15:26
buying a FH turn LH from FEO is worse than buying LH from government land sales. Government is more likely to top up the LH land in the event of a future enbloc. What do you think your chances are when you ask FEO for a top up?:eek: :banghead:

Mind to share which projects sold as FH turn LH? :scared-5:

sh
22-02-11, 15:44
Mind to share which projects sold as FH turn LH? :scared-5:

Rose Gardens that became The Shore....

westman
22-02-11, 19:49

That something new to me. Noticed The Shore is have LH 103.
Does it mean when the lease period is up, owners need to return the land back to FH's owner, right?

fan
22-02-11, 20:05
How can those buyers accept the fact that the developer got the land as FH and yet re-develop and sell it off as LH?

sh
22-02-11, 20:15
How can those buyers accept the fact that the developer got the land as FH and yet re-develop and sell it off as LH?

willing buyer + willing seller = legal contract.... Hope the buyers know what they are buying....

The descendants of FEO are going to be laughing to the bank 103 years from now.:(

devilplate
22-02-11, 20:16
Some 1bedder flip flop liaoz

fan
22-02-11, 20:46
I kind of worry that other developers will follow this bad example and do the same and soon everyone just take it as the norm.

So if you have a FH landed property, can you sell it off as LH? Like that can leave something for my descendants :D

sh
22-02-11, 20:53
I kind of worry that other developers will follow this bad example and do the same and soon everyone just take it as the norm.

So if you have a FH landed property, can you sell it off as LH? Like that can leave something for my descendants :D

don't see why not... good for your great great great grandchildren.... make sure they remember there's something there:D

duckweed
23-02-11, 10:35
not sure if my sources are correct, but was told amaryllis ville is actually FH, but sold as 99LH by developer. for rochelle, land was bought from the huay kuan who sold it 99LH while land is actually FH.

devilplate
23-02-11, 10:37
not sure if my sources are correct, but was told amaryllis ville is actually FH, but sold as 99LH by developer. for rochelle, land was bought from the huay kuan who sold it 99LH while land is actually FH.

cfm yes for rochelle....dun like the idea...tats y din buy....but still can make decent profit if i bot it...:ashamed1:

i aso heard rumours on amaryllis

proud owner
23-02-11, 10:44
willing buyer + willing seller = legal contract.... Hope the buyers know what they are buying....

The descendants of FEO are going to be laughing to the bank 103 years from now.:(

somemore sell at such high psf considering its LH ...

location wise ... lousy .. by road side ....

hopeful
23-02-11, 10:44
so those owners of FH condo can sell enbloc LH to developers?

proud owner
23-02-11, 10:47

technically yes but developer wont bite

u think FEO will buy LH for your FH land ??

hopeful
23-02-11, 10:57
technically yes but developer wont bite

u think FEO will buy LH for your FH land ??

as long as can make money, I dont see why not. if not FEO, then some other deveoper.

proud owner
23-02-11, 11:04
as long as can make money, I dont see why not. if not FEO, then some other deveoper.

u try lor

if got interest from developer let me know

westman
23-02-11, 11:10
Those FH turn LH govern by strata rules?

westman
23-02-11, 11:22
Also, if suay suay kana NSE kind of story.. then how?
LTA talk to who? FH Land owner or LH Condo's owners?

sh
23-02-11, 17:06

if this can be done, it will be a logistic nightmare. Imagine FH land belongs to 100 households. How to hunt down 100 heirs 100 years later:beats-me-man:

rattydrama
23-02-11, 18:41

how is the sales for this project? Seems like alot of forumer here condeming this project.

land118
23-02-11, 18:48
how is the sales for this project? Seems like alot of forumer here condeming this project.
From URA end Jan 2011 data, 408 launched, 339 sold, 69 units left....

http://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateWeb/realEstate/pageflow/price/submitSearch.do

This project launched already 1 year, not sold out yet, make your own judgement

rattydrama
23-02-11, 18:54

:banghead: :banghead:

devilplate
24-02-11, 00:42

only possible if u own a big big land lor....rochelle is one gd example .....developer bot from the owner on 99LH terms

as for indivdual FH condo owners....not possible la...:p

devilplate
24-02-11, 00:48

This project launched already 1 year, not sold out yet, make your own judgement

initially launched at 9xxpsf for lower flrs...

if can get subsale below 1200psf....seems ok....many other 99LH mass market r hitting above 1kpsf liao anyway and their land is owned by ah gong anyway....so no guarantee of enbloc as well

wt_know
25-02-11, 07:47
hi guys,

i'm looking at NV Residences. what project can i use as "reference" for price comparison ? i know price difference subject to many factors such as developer, material, design/theme, location, etc. however, it would still be nice to have a 2nd reference.

looking at 2 bedrooms or 700 to 900sqft (1000 sqft max)

thanks !

devilplate
25-02-11, 07:59
hi guys,

i'm looking at NV Residences. what project can i use as "reference" for price comparison ? i know price difference subject to many factors such as developer, material, design/theme, location, etc. however, it would still be nice to have a 2nd reference.

looking at 2 bedrooms or 700 to 900sqft (1000 sqft max)

thanks !

similar sized unit at livia

Wild Falcon
25-02-11, 09:29
This type is worse than government land. At least usually government usually give face and let potential developers who wanna enbloc top up the lease. All these land owned by private owners and lease to u as 99LH - u can wait long long. If u wanna enbloc, you can only talk to ONE person, the owner of the land and u will have ZERO bargaining power. Can't even auction. It's a goner.

rattydrama
25-02-11, 10:07
buy from government LH is ok but not from developer, no bargaining power and your condo may worth nothing.. too high a risk.

Geylang OKT
26-02-11, 06:23
The former Rose Gardens site at Amber Road is one classic example? :D

wt_know
28-02-11, 10:26
thanks. it seems like Oasis @ Elias looks great too :D

similar sized unit at livia

devilplate
28-02-11, 10:41
thanks. it seems like Oasis @ Elias looks great too :D

i prefer OE den livia/NV:D

wt_know
09-03-11, 09:07
saw this ads in propertyguru
22% discount !!! how should i read this carefully. what's the catch?

>>>>>
Waterfront Isle (915 sqft/85.01 sqm), S$778K, S$850.57 psf (built-in)
10%+5% early bird discount + 2% loyalty discount + 5% furniture voucher = max 22% discount (not to be missed)

devilplate
09-03-11, 09:24
saw this ads in propertyguru
22% discount !!! how should i read this carefully. what's the catch?

>>>>>
Waterfront Isle (915 sqft/85.01 sqm), S$778K, S$850.57 psf (built-in)
10%+5% early bird discount + 2% loyalty discount + 5% furniture voucher = max 22% discount (not to be missed)

everybody buying at the same price la...in fact prices gone up by 1% after the preview....LOL

wt_know
09-03-11, 09:43
only found 1 transacted price in Feb-11 for W.Isle
when is ura website updated after the purchaed options are exercised?

everybody buying at the same price la...in fact prices gone up by 1% after the preview....LOL

devilplate
09-03-11, 10:22
only found 1 transacted price in Feb-11 for W.Isle
when is ura website updated after the purchaed options are exercised?

when banks/lawyers lodge a caveat

dingding
09-03-11, 13:57
hi all,

thanks !

while everyone agree that prime area is 1, 2, 4, 9, 10. you would still need a reference point to know what's right price for the market. go find out some units with 1k psf in those area..

then go find a development in an area that you are familiar with, and find out the avg psf there, and compare it against a 2nd development ard the same area, as you dig deeper, you will have a much clearer pix of what's a fair deal, over-priced or an under-valued unit.

also, an acceptable price range would be one that can give u a good yield based on rental. u can literally buy in geylang and get very good yield, but will you buy one?