PDA

View Full Version : condo vs landed property choice

ocoloco79
18-02-11, 16:49
I am really very curious, will anyone choose condo/apt over landed properties assuming not much price differential? It seems like landed is the only way to go and those who cannot afford landed will buy condo? If one can afford landed, they will definitely choose landed for every reasons??

gn108
18-02-11, 16:58
This is an interesting nugget.
All my friends who grew up in landed (and who can afford landed) are staying in condos. And these bunch add up to ten or so.

hopeful
18-02-11, 17:09
All my friends who grew up in landed (and who can afford landed) are staying in condos. And these bunch add up to ten or so.

landed as in terrace house? or higher class of landed.

bargain hunter
18-02-11, 17:19
there are always various lifestyle considerations. capital appreciation (ie money) is not everything.

I am really very curious, will anyone choose condo/apt over landed properties assuming not much price differential? It seems like landed is the only way to go and those who cannot afford landed will buy condo? If one can afford landed, they will definitely choose landed for every reasons??

mantrix
18-02-11, 17:23
there are always various lifestyle considerations. capital appreciation (ie money) is not everything.

if you stayed in a landed before, you'll yearn for a condo. And vice versa.

Too many pros and cons of each. (maybe get a townhouse in a condo)

I've asked a multi-millionaire friend and he told me he actually would prefer a well-managed condo than a GCB

to each his own but i find that it's those older generation Singaporeans (who wants people to know they've made it) who buy the landed

younger ones, though they have the budget, prefer better located condos

kingkong1984
18-02-11, 17:48
Landed for those who want to experience landed as they have yet to experience landed.

After experiencing landed, they wake up, they want to experience cluster housing.

After experiencing clustr housing, they wake up, they want to experience condo.

After experiencing condo, they wake up, they want to experience hdb.

After experiencing hdb, they wake up , they want to experience JB and batam.

After experiencing JB and batam, they give up, they want to experience elsewhere.

Wake up.....

sh
18-02-11, 18:09
Landed for those who want to experience landed as they have yet to experience landed.

After experiencing landed, they wake up, they want to experience cluster housing.

After experiencing JB and batam, they give up, they want to experience elsewhere.

Wake up.....

You are full of crap....:D

teddybear
18-02-11, 20:14
Condos in CCR much more expensive than bigger size landed in OCR. If landed so good why those people choose to live in smaller condos in CCR and pay more than the bigger size landed in OCR? :p

May be you should change your statement to: "if can afford buy CCR, cannot afford buy OCR"? :D

sh
18-02-11, 20:28
In any major metropolis, New York, or London. There are high priced condos, more expensive than landed properties in suburbs. Similarly there are equally high priced landed in select estates.

There will be people choosing condos over landed anywhere in the world for various reasons, or vice versa. Can't say one is better over the other regardless of price. It's personal preference.:)

Laguna
18-02-11, 20:42
it all depends
1. type of condo....vs type of landed
2. life style

many stayed in the condo, is just from carpark to their units

westman
18-02-11, 21:33
Condos in CCR much more expensive than bigger size landed in OCR. If landed so good why those people choose to live in smaller condos in CCR and pay more than the bigger size landed in OCR? :p

May be you should change your statement to: "if can afford buy CCR, cannot afford buy OCR"? :D

SUper Hard Core CCR supporter. Maybe you can rename as CCRbear too.:D :D

KarenK
18-02-11, 21:36
why I chose condo over landed even though I could have gotten a landed for the same price:
1. hubby & myself grew up in HDB flat and private apt. not used to living in landed. no sense of security :D
2. we are lazy folks.......can't imagine having to do our own landscaping, pruning, getting pp to come do painting or fumigation, pest control etc :scared-1:
3. for that price, all we can get is an old landed which is most likely cramped & tiny. no $$$ for extensive reno and A&A

just my 2 cents' worth :ashamed1:

focus
18-02-11, 21:47
my parents choose condo instead of landed because they like to see scenery. Very hard to get scenery in landed in singapore.

Geylang OKT
18-02-11, 22:10
Facilities, facilities, facilities. :D

Who wants to be buggered by pests from the garden all day long? :tongue3:

Regulators
18-02-11, 22:57
most landed have not much view to offer and are too close to the road. Also have to worry about maintenance of leaky roofs etc and no facilities to enjoy. Not forgetting that the property tax for landed is also very high and can't sell to foreigners. This is why many just go for condo.

hopeful
19-02-11, 00:06
why I chose condo over landed even though I could have gotten a landed for the same price:
1. hubby & myself grew up in HDB flat and private apt. not used to living in landed. no sense of security :D
2. we are lazy folks.......can't imagine having to do our own landscaping, pruning, getting pp to come do painting or fumigation, pest control etc :scared-1:
3. for that price, all we can get is an old landed which is most likely cramped & tiny. no $$$ for extensive reno and A&A

just my 2 cents' worth :ashamed1:

that's y i want to ask gn108 what kind of landed is his friends staying? not all landed are equal.

westman
19-02-11, 07:12
Can afford landed but wife says :tsk-tsk: to landed cos she is afraid of insects, snakes and any small creatures. She don't even consider ground units in condo or cluster house too citing same reasons too....:2cents:

rattydrama
19-02-11, 07:17
Can afford landed but wife says :tsk-tsk: to landed cos she is afraid of insects, snakes and any small creatures. She don't even consider ground units in condo or cluster house too citing same reasons too....:2cents:

because we dont have all the time to take care of the landed property in SG. couples are busy working and taking care of their children.
the maintenance cost is higher as the reasons is obvious plus the cost of maid to clean the house.

hopeful
19-02-11, 07:36
so looks like from respones here, unless one is truly rich, can afford gardener and groundkeeping personel to stay together, maybe in a separate servant's quarters away from main house, landed is too much of a hassle for ordinary folks.

Geylang OKT
19-02-11, 08:27
Landed gotch no swimming pool, gym, tennis court, club room, MA etc to look after you.

Landed only gotch overgrown trees, pests and insects for company. If you gotch nasty neighbours and you donch live in a GCB or semi-D category, can end up like the Everitt Road neighbours over parking issues.

So what is the obvious choice? :D

Geylang OKT
19-02-11, 08:28
that's y i want to ask gn108 what kind of landed is his friends staying? not all landed are equal.

Even for a bungalow (detached house) category got 5 classes lah :D

westman
19-02-11, 08:29
Landed gotch no swimming pool, gym, tennis court, club room, MA etc to look after you.

Landed only gotch overgrown trees, pests and insects for company. If you gotch nasty neighbours and you donch live in a GCB or semi-D category, can end up like the Everitt Road neighbours over parking issues.

Can have "chicks" wor if landed in geylang......:D :D

Geylang OKT
19-02-11, 08:31
Can have "chicks" wor if landed in geylang......:D :D

That is true too. :D :D :D

ocoloco79
19-02-11, 09:02
SHOCKING responses! None choose landed :scared-4: .. This thread will make landed appear unattractive haha...

hopeful
19-02-11, 09:12
SHOCKING responses! None choose landed :scared-4: .. This thread will make landed appear unattractive haha...

well, the real landed lovers have no time in this forum :D

Geylang OKT
19-02-11, 09:24
well, the real landed lovers have no time in this forum :D

Yup. They would always be very busy clearing the garden foilage, getting rid of insects and pests, or negotiating with other owners over parking space :D

sufri
19-02-11, 09:28

Yes i agree with this point. At different points of my life i yearn for different lifestyle as with everyone. I got the opportunity to grow up in landed and now that i am married with a toddler, i look for condo simply because of the facilities. Also, i would like to grow old in a condo because i can have nice landscape to walk around with security in place. So, it depends on where the person comes from really.

ocoloco79
19-02-11, 09:34

Cannot afford, buy 1 OCR, can afford can buy 2 OCR?

mantrix
19-02-11, 09:35

heard everitt road going to be flooded this weekend wor...

mantrix
19-02-11, 09:36
Yes i agree with this point. At different points of my life i yearn for different lifestyle as with everyone. I got the opportunity to grow up in landed and now that i am married with a toddler, i look for condo simply because of the facilities. Also, i would like to grow old in a condo because i can have nice landscape to walk around with security in place. So, it depends on where the person comes from really.

yah - the space to walk around is much bigger (unless you own GCB) and you don't really need to worry that much about security. If one owns a landed gotta install expensive Cisco system and no neighbours to look out for you...

teddybear
19-02-11, 09:40
Cannot afford, buy 1 OCR, can afford can buy 2 OCR, can afford more buy 3 OCR, After that can afford even more buy CCR?
As always, all my friends who made it in life move from OCR to CCR. (stll haven't come any Friend who made it in life and shift from CCR to OCR). :cheers1:

Cannot afford, buy 1 OCR, can afford can buy 2 OCR?

westman
19-02-11, 09:46
Cannot afford, buy 1 OCR, can afford can buy 2 OCR, can afford more buy 3 OCR, After that can afford even more buy CCR?
As always, all my friends who made it in life move from OCR to CCR. (stll haven't come any Friend who made it in life and shift from CCR to OCR). :cheers1:

Maybe your friends are all either too old ( children all grown up) or rich at young (Yet to have kids).

CCR has limited option in good schools and many late 30 to mid 40 often switch from CCR to RCR/OCR for children sake. :2cents:

ocoloco79
19-02-11, 09:46

Good idea, but I doubt I will ever reach 3 OCR stage lol...

blackfire
19-02-11, 09:54
Bigger extended families prefer landed as it offers more rooms and bigger living area. Older folks also prefer landed with no threat of enbloc, like to have 3 generations under one roof, can do gardening, more privacy, a higher wealth status and wealth preservation, can hold gatherings and parties with friends and relatives at home and can sing karaoke to their heart content. However, all these are considered old school to the younger ones.

ocoloco79
19-02-11, 09:57
Can I say that cluster homes will be the best of both worlds? Got facilities, security, maintenance same as condo?

Geylang OKT
19-02-11, 10:01
Can I say that cluster homes will be the best of both worlds? Got facilities, security, maintenance same as condo?

strata titled lah :D

westman
19-02-11, 10:14
Can anyone share how much it costs to stay landed?

Understand that subscription to cable services (tv or broadband) costs a lot wor for landed. Beside this, what other recurring costs that landed owners has to pay and by how much?

teddybear
19-02-11, 12:59
Nanyang Primary, SCGS Primary, ACS Primary, ACS Junior, SJI Junior, Raffles Girls Primary (6 of the top 20 primary schools (of which 3 are also top 10 primary schools by results)) within a 2km distance is "limited option in good schools" in CCR? :scared-3:

What other "good schools" options do you need? :scared-1:
You want better I am afraid there aren't any more better in Singapore if you think all the above listed are not good enough. :rolleyes:

Maybe your friends are all either too old ( children all grown up) or rich at young (Yet to have kids).

CCR has limited option in good schools and many late 30 to mid 40 often switch from CCR to RCR/OCR for children sake. :2cents:

westman
19-02-11, 14:09
Nanyang Primary, SCGS Primary, ACS Primary, ACS Junior, SJI Junior, Raffles Girls Primary (6 of the top 20 primary schools (of which 3 are also top 10 primary schools by results)) within a 2km distance is "limited option in good schools" in CCR? :scared-3:

What other "good schools" options do you need? :scared-1:
You want better I am afraid there aren't any more better in Singapore if you think all the above listed are not good enough. :rolleyes:

Tot these areas are RCR or near boundary of CCR/RCR?

focus
19-02-11, 14:42

If the cluster units are not facing each other and in close proximity. It would be the best of both world... But still people who want scenery or high floor unblocked will not choose landed.

Like FJ Benjamin ... Read in report he is staying in penthouse in orchard after selling his holland landed.

Ang Kong Hua, GIC's biggie, staying in penthouse in tanjong rhu area.

So countless rich people who are rich enough to buy bungalow type of landed also sometimes choose condos, though they most probbably will be staying in the big spacious penthouse type of >3000sqft.

rattydrama
19-02-11, 15:03
Bigger extended families prefer landed as it offers more rooms and bigger living area. Older folks also prefer landed with no threat of enbloc, like to have 3 generations under one roof, can do gardening, more privacy, a higher wealth status and wealth preservation, can hold gatherings and parties with friends and relatives at home and can sing karaoke to their heart content. However, all these are considered old school to the younger ones.
I can be a party goer but not a host. I am a cleanliness feak!:scared-4:

KarenK
19-02-11, 15:41

exactly. the ground floor units at my parents' place has snakes, scorpions, rats and other creepy crawlies coming in....basically u really won't know what is under your blanket when u crawl into bed each nite...... :eek:

teddybear
19-02-11, 20:43
All these are in D10 & D11!
Since when Bukit Timah/Newton/Novena are RCR or near boundary of CCR/RCR?:scared-3:

Tot these areas are RCR or near boundary of CCR/RCR?

westman
19-02-11, 21:05
All these are in D10 & D11!
Since when Bukit Timah/Newton/Novena are RCR or near boundary of CCR/RCR?:scared-3:

Me OCR and now learning what is CCR & RCR mah...
Thanks for sharing... :)

land118
19-02-11, 21:08
exactly. the ground floor units at my parents' place has snakes, scorpions, rats and other creepy crawlies coming in....basically u really won't know what is under your blanket when u crawl into bed each nite...... :eek:
Your parents' unit is ground floor condo? sound like it...if so jilat, then MC not doing it's job, pest control not working....or condo beside/near nature reserve or SAF training areas

mantrix
19-02-11, 21:41
Your parents' unit is ground floor condo? sound like it...if so jilat, then MC not doing it's job, pest control not working....or condo beside/near nature reserve or SAF training areas

Agreed - these problems should not exist in the first place unless the condo is really old and lacking sinking funds hence not enough $ to ensure frequent fumigation...

If not condo but landed, then yes, these problems are more likely to occur...

KarenK
19-02-11, 21:51

they took the upper floor units. heng ah..... :D
all these horror stories we heard from the neighbours on the ground floor.

DC33_2008
19-02-11, 22:04
They have gardener and ridpest to take care of them. Can park few cars in it and do not have to compete in condos for 3rd car.
Yup. They would always be very busy clearing the garden foilage, getting rid of insects and pests, or negotiating with other owners over parking space :D

DC33_2008
19-02-11, 22:07
$2400 for the first two years after activating it. Pay normal subscription thereafter. It was 12 years ago.
Can anyone share how much it costs to stay landed?

Understand that subscription to cable services (tv or broadband) costs a lot wor for landed. Beside this, what other recurring costs that landed owners has to pay and by how much?

land118
19-02-11, 22:25
$2400 for the first two years after activating it. Pay normal subscription thereafter. It was 12 years ago.
If I am not wrong, my inlaws paid 100+ per mth for 2 yr and they give many channels free. Don't have to pay lump sum $2400. Can't remember whether it was promo package or nt

DC33_2008
20-02-11, 12:11
It is the same: $2400 over two years by installment.
If I am not wrong, my inlaws paid 100+ per mth for 2 yr and they give many channels free. Don't have to pay lump sum $2400. Can't remember whether it was promo package or nt

wind30
20-02-11, 13:37
most landed have not much view to offer and are too close to the road. Also have to worry about maintenance of leaky roofs etc and no facilities to enjoy. Not forgetting that the property tax for landed is also very high and can't sell to foreigners. This is why many just go for condo.

.... errr.... why is landed too close to the road? I though condos are close to the road as they are usually built along the main roads.

The reason why I chose landed is because I like it quiet. I HATED my upstairs neighbour when I stayed in my previous place. Super noisy....

I then vowed NEVER to stay in an apartment UNLESS it is a penthouse/top floor unit.

I used the swimming pool ONCE for the FIVE years I stayed in my previous place. Tennis court = 0 times. Barbecue = 0 times. So I guess I won't miss the facilities much.

My new place (small inter terrace) don't have much creepy crawlies as it is a 14 year old development. I think if the landed is REALLY old and you have terrible maintained neighbours, then pests could be an issue. The developement was launched in 1996 so 90% of the owners here bought at a very expensive price so they are house proud.

Since my move from condo to landed, almost everything is a plus.

1) we actually have space to hang lots of clothes to dry. We were hanging our baby clothes in the LIVING ROOM to dry last time....
2) I have a dedicated room (6m by 4m) for a home theatre.
3) we have a car porch and there is plenty of parking near my place (very rare for landed)
4) we have a dedicated study, TV room, etc.
5) There is no upstairs neighbours.

ultimately, it all boils down to whether you value SPACE more, or the facilities the condo provide.

greenhorn
20-02-11, 14:22
different strokes for different folks. while some like to go bag packing or take tour packages for their holidays abroad, some prefer club med. All are seeking holidays but you can see the difference in lifestyle preference and needs/wants. Same can be said for the cars one drives... Life is complex and so are human needs & aspirations.:)

Blue
20-02-11, 17:20

Wake up.....

They wake up finally and realise they will end up in a coffin!

Regulators
20-02-11, 20:12
then you must have good neighbours. I know of some inter-terrace more terok than condo with neighbours beside blasting music and dogs barking away like no end. Sometimes even semi-D can't avoid noisy neighbours unless you live in a GCB. K Shanmugum's GCB in 7 Astrid Hill is very close to his neighbour in 8 Astrid Hill, can literally stick a pole across and climb from one house to another.

.... errr.... why is landed too close to the road? I though condos are close to the road as they are usually built along the main roads.

The reason why I chose landed is because I like it quiet. I HATED my upstairs neighbour when I stayed in my previous place. Super noisy....

I then vowed NEVER to stay in an apartment UNLESS it is a penthouse/top floor unit.

I used the swimming pool ONCE for the FIVE years I stayed in my previous place. Tennis court = 0 times. Barbecue = 0 times. So I guess I won't miss the facilities much.

My new place (small inter terrace) don't have much creepy crawlies as it is a 14 year old development. I think if the landed is REALLY old and you have terrible maintained neighbours, then pests could be an issue. The developement was launched in 1996 so 90% of the owners here bought at a very expensive price so they are house proud.

Since my move from condo to landed, almost everything is a plus.

1) we actually have space to hang lots of clothes to dry. We were hanging our baby clothes in the LIVING ROOM to dry last time....
2) I have a dedicated room (6m by 4m) for a home theatre.
3) we have a car porch and there is plenty of parking near my place (very rare for landed)
4) we have a dedicated study, TV room, etc.
5) There is no upstairs neighbours.

ultimately, it all boils down to whether you value SPACE more, or the facilities the condo provide.

relaxcatdog
26-02-11, 08:37
Years ago, I also pondered on this issue on whether to get a landed property or apartment. I eventually chose an apartment. Like what fellow forumers mentioned here, it can be very expensive maintaining a landed property. Of course, there are benefits that come with it like having your own garden etc. But one main reason why I did not choose landed property is that I foresee the problem of climbing up the stairs when I am old or when I am sick. I used to live in a HDB maisonette and had seen my late mother having difficulty climbing the stairs in her old age. The first generation HDB maisonettes only have toilets on the upper floor, so you can imagine climbing up the stairs ever so often. There were times when we will get whoever is upstairs to throw things down because we were just too lazy to climb up the stairs. Some of the landed properties have 3 storeys. I can't imagine myself climbing all the way up to the third storey. No doubt it is good exercise but it is a problem when one is sick or old. Nevertheless, I do like the privacy one gets when the rooms are upstairs. I guess it really depends on what you want when deciding on a property.

Geylang OKT
26-02-11, 08:51
Years ago, I also pondered on this issue on whether to get a landed property or apartment. I eventually chose an apartment. Like what fellow forumers mentioned here, it can be very expensive maintaining a landed property. Of course, there are benefits that come with it like having your own garden etc. But one main reason why I did not choose landed property is that I foresee the problem of climbing up the stairs when I am old or when I am sick. I used to live in a HDB maisonette and had seen my late mother having difficulty climbing the stairs in her old age. The first generation HDB maisonettes only have toilets on the upper floor, so you can imagine climbing up the stairs ever so often. There were times when we will get whoever is upstairs to throw things down because we were just too lazy to climb up the stairs. Some of the landed properties have 3 storeys. I can't imagine myself climbing all the way up to the third storey. No doubt it is good exercise but it is a problem when one is sick or old. Nevertheless, I do like the privacy one gets when the rooms are upstairs. I guess it really depends on what you want when deciding on a property.

maybe can install lifts :D

wind30
26-02-11, 08:59

Actually most landed has a bedroom with attached toilet at the ground floor for granparents.

I moved in to my place for 1 year and still did not pay a single cent on maintenance probably because the place is newly renovated.

Not much pests, yet. The smaller EC which I stayed has $2xx/month maintenance fee. That is around $3k/year. If I adjust it to match the landed value, the maintenance for a similar condo is at least $4k/year?

I don't think I will spend $4k/year on maintenance.

land118
26-02-11, 09:00
maybe can install lifts :D
If I am not wrong, BCA requirement, if 4 th sty and above, can install lift, but troublesome, space wasted for lift shaft, motor room ,yearly professional engineer certification of lift and lift maintenance. For own use, better to exercise, climb the stairs and stay fit and healthy if u are able, save the money....

Regulators
26-02-11, 09:03
If don't want to climb stairs, can get a single storey landed, problem solved

stalingrad
26-02-11, 09:54
prices of landed properties have gone up because of buying by immigrants. I have several colleagues who are prc chinese that have bought landed properties. mainland chinese think these landed properties can one day be allowed to turn into multi-storey apartments to enrich the original owners. that is what happened in china.

I told them that is not going to happen in singapore, given the strict zoning laws here.

mantrix
26-02-11, 10:51
If don't want to climb stairs, can get a single storey landed, problem solved

For that you'll need enough land - at least 2000 sq ft or above (cos it has to include the garden, the porch etc)

Assuming it's only 1k psf, you can get a bigger condo unit (by this I mean livable space since you need not set aside land for parking / garden / landscaping) for 2 million dollars with better views / location / facilities

You can even get a massive single storey penthouse around 3000 sq ft at the top :)