PDA

View Full Version : where do you stay and WHY?

wind30
27-02-11, 05:37
kind of curious about the factors people consider in deciding where to stay and which are the DECIDING factors.

Let me start.

I stay in AMK.

Number one reason is my in-laws and my mum stay there. I am 5 mintues walk from my in-laws. 5 minutes drive from my mum.

Number 2 reason, familiarity as I used to stay in TPY and AMK my whole life. Too used to the old estates hawker center food.

Geylang OKT
27-02-11, 06:39
Moo.... Moo.... :D

Geylang OKT
27-02-11, 06:40
Dunno what got over me... I feel the urge to chew grass :D

mcmlxxvi
27-02-11, 09:46
East. Because I work there, family is all in east, and I feel the east side generally cleaner and fresher... .. .

mcmlxxvi
27-02-11, 09:48
Oh forgot to mention and the airport is also there.

ocoloco79
27-02-11, 09:54
M staying in Kovan. Have been staying there for more than 5 years and love that place so bought 2nd home there. The area is quiet yet not too far from town..

tericia
27-02-11, 10:15

hahaha, your post har... funny but sometimes i really think you are on the wrong forum :D

devilplate
27-02-11, 10:24
EAST!!!

i enjoy driving from the east to city via ECP the most......vy nice scenary......LOL:D

phantom_opera
27-02-11, 10:39
EAST!!!

i enjoy driving from the east to city via ECP the most......vy nice scenary......LOL:D

I 2nd that

rattydrama
27-02-11, 12:52
norhwest now cos family all nearby and in Malaysia but may shift to central, south or even east in future.....

sh
27-02-11, 15:56
The choices are always where you grow up in, where you're familiar with, where your friends and family are....

So, there's always demand where ever you are....:)

land118
27-02-11, 16:52
The choices are always where you grow up in, where you're familiar with, where your friends and family are....

So, there's always demand where ever you are....:) quite agree ....

Regulators
27-02-11, 18:02
you must be doing too much cowgirl liao, be more creative :D

azeoprop
27-02-11, 18:16
Moo.... Moo.... :D

U stay in Dairy Farm? :rolleyes:

Laguna
27-02-11, 18:32
stay at the east, short walk to Parkway

like the beach, and convenient to near to Parkway....market....

focus
27-02-11, 18:47
I 2nd that
Yup.. I think East is nice especially the ride using ECP to the city... everytime can see our beautiful city landscape.

Most famous eateries are located in the east ... the beach is there...

all other forms of amenities like MRT, Hawker, shopping also sama sama like other surburbs...

Wild Falcon
27-02-11, 19:02
All man-made scenary though, man-made artificial reclaimed beach, man-made buildings etc.

EAST!!!

azeoprop
27-02-11, 19:53
I stay in the north....still have areas with the kampong charm.... but disappearing, sad. :(

blackfire
27-02-11, 20:35
I have stayed in Jalan Besar, Bendemeer, North East, Bukit Timah, RV and now East Coast area. I have a choice to stay either in Orchard or East Coast, but I chose East Coast in the end and no regrets since. It is very convenient and near to the CBD (my workplace), the airport (I'm a frequent flyer), and the beach (my children like to rollerblade). I heard that ECP is the most and will continue to be the most well design expressway to avoid jams to the airport, an continuous effort and our pride to show to our foreign visitors. I have no complain and happy staying here, the only problem here is that there is no MRT and my children have to take taxi most of the time when out with friends.

land118
27-02-11, 20:41
I have stayed in Jalan Besar, Bendemeer, North East, Bukit Timah, RV and now East Coast area. I have a choice to stay either in Orchard or East Coast, but I chose East Coast in the end and no regrets since. It is very convenient and near to the CBD (my workplace), the airport (I'm a frequent flyer), and the beach (my children like to rollerblade). I heard that ECP is the most and will continue to be the most well design expressway to avoid jams to the airport, an continuous effort and our pride to show to our foreign visitors. I have no complain and happy staying here, the only problem here is that there is no MRT and my children have to take taxi most of the time when out with friends.
Have stay in central, north, north east, west, not yet in the east, but always like the east, great to be near east coast park and katong especially if have family with kids....

sh
27-02-11, 20:45
I grow up and stayed in the east all my life and will probably continue to do so....:)

But having said that, my investment properties are in the CCR or on the fringe of it. There's difference between buying properties of own stay and investment....

Own stay, it's about emotions

Investment.... try to keep emotions out of it and be as rational as you can be....

:D

westman
27-02-11, 20:48
Have stay in central, north, north east, west, not yet in the east, but always like the east, great to be near east coast park and katong especially if have family with kids....

young and yet to have wife/kids?
Rich at young! Excellent!!!!:D :D :D

westman
27-02-11, 20:50
Staying at west for my whole life. Never try other regions.
Have tot of moving to others but OC say :tsk-tsk: for now. Must wait till my youngest boy completed his PSLE four years later! :sleep:

blackfire
27-02-11, 20:56
Interestingly a lot of forumers here stayed or like to stay in East Coast. My initial impression is that most here stay in the west, which I hardly been to, never invested(although I almost invested in one north, but dropped due as I'm unfamiliar to the location) and most likely would never stay or invest there.

DaytonaSS
27-02-11, 20:57
LIM CHU KANG till 12 yrs old

Bkt Panjang,

Now RCR, enjoy the lesser time on road cos hardly kanna JAMs cos reduce need to take expressways.

Next house wish to move into Paterson/Grange/Tanglin stretch. Plan to do it next year when i win the 10m toto :)

LCK got the best investment opportunities. Lots of greenery and guaranteed to get "enbloc" by Govt.

romeo
27-02-11, 22:37
M staying in Kovan. Have been staying there for more than 5 years and love that place so bought 2nd home there. The area is quiet yet not too far from town..

i hope not the stretch in front of kovan mrt.. its chaotic n cramp n jam n.. sorry

romeo
27-02-11, 22:39
I 2nd that
me three..

Geylang OKT
27-02-11, 22:41
U stay in Dairy Farm? :rolleyes:

Boss.... you mean OKT must only stay in geylang har? :D

romeo
27-02-11, 22:47
i stay changi.. cannot be anymore lay back than this.. n im loving it..
Love the East.. Hate the West.. (sorry)..

Geylang OKT
27-02-11, 22:48
i stay changi.. cannot be anymore lay back than this.. n im loving it..
Love the East.. Hate the West.. (sorry)..

Har..... how ulu can you get? (no offence) Everyday commute to work very siong right? :D

romeo
27-02-11, 22:55
Har..... how ulu can you get? (no offence) Everyday commute to work very siong right? :D

oops.. forgot to add.. i work at changi.. in fact, 5 mins walk nia.. actually, i stay beside where i work.. hehe

ulu?!? i love it.. the way sg is developing.. changi wont be spared soon..

Geylang OKT
27-02-11, 22:56
oops.. forgot to add.. i work at changi.. in fact, 5 mins walk nia.. actually, i stay beside where i work.. hehe

Changi Green or Changi Court? :D

romeo
27-02-11, 22:58
Changi Green or Changi Court? :D

oh no.. its even more ulu than that.. upper changi road north..

land118
27-02-11, 23:00
young and yet to have wife/kids?
Rich at young! Excellent!!!!:D :D :D
Ya, still young at heart, haha...kids are a bit grown up...

Komo
28-02-11, 06:14
LIM CHU KANG till 12 yrs old

Bkt Panjang,

Now RCR, enjoy the lesser time on road cos hardly kanna JAMs cos reduce need to take expressways.

Next house wish to move into Paterson/Grange/Tanglin stretch. Plan to do it next year when i win the 10m toto :)

LCK got the best investment opportunities. Lots of greenery and guaranteed to get "enbloc" by Govt.
Wondering why do you think lck got best investment opportunity? Any example? (if govt enbloc more likely for army camp.... :D :D )

DC33_2008
28-02-11, 08:20
Have been staying on the eastern part of city fringe. Becos less than 8 minutes to CBD by car via nicoll highway. Can take bus (less than 20 minutes) and mrt (5 minutes) if tired of driving to town. 12 minutes to east coast park as family likes seafood and the popular satay beehoon. Was there yesterday and met someone who is staying in Sentosa in the queue for satay beehoon.

wind30
28-02-11, 08:26
a lot of comments is about food.

To me, there is good food is most of the OLD estates.

Quite surprised not many mentioned about staying NEAR parents/in-law...

you people don't like to stay near parents/in-laws? For me, I have a 2 year old kid so it is critical...

DC33_2008
28-02-11, 08:32
Yup. Of course, parents and siblings are all staying nearby.

you people don't like to stay near parents/in-laws? For me, I have a 2 year old kid so it is critical...

Wild Falcon
28-02-11, 10:07
I think home is where the heart is. It doesn't have to be kitsch with shopping malls and made-made beach. So it can be any part of Singapore. I'm not surprised east gets the most vote because it is the most crowded and densely populated part of SG. Easily 70% of the population congregates there (assuming east goes all the way to Changi, Tampines, Bedok and Pasir Ris). Other areas are much less populated and less developed and lower density, e.g. northwest mainly jungles and reservoirs etc., big catchment area in the central part of SG. In short, Singaporeans like to stay in familiar areas near their family - and clearly the majority is congregated in the east.

devilplate
28-02-11, 10:15
I think home is where the heart is. It doesn't have to be kitsch with shopping malls and made-made beach. So it can be any part of Singapore. I'm not surprised east gets the most vote because it is the most crowded and densely populated part of SG. Easily 70% of the population congregates there (assuming east goes all the way to Changi, Tampines, Bedok and Pasir Ris). Other areas are much less populated and less developed and lower density, e.g. northwest mainly jungles and reservoirs etc., big catchment area in the central part of SG. In short, Singaporeans like to stay in familiar areas near their family - and clearly the majority is congregated in the east.

we hf been staying in the east for many yrs and surely got compelling reasons to make us continue....:cheers1:

Douk
28-02-11, 14:08
Have been staying on the eastern part of city fringe. Becos less than 8 minutes to CBD by car via nicoll highway. Can take bus (less than 20 minutes) and mrt (5 minutes) if tired of driving to town. 12 minutes to east coast park as family likes seafood and the popular satay beehoon. Was there yesterday and met someone who is staying in Sentosa in the queue for satay beehoon.
Sentosa is also 10-15 min away :) no surprise.

mcmlxxvi
28-02-11, 14:53

OK now if terrorists have limited bombs they know which section to bomb to get most results...

mcmlxxvi
28-02-11, 14:54

Must be one of the ABC condos...

azeoprop
28-02-11, 15:55

Yah all the good and cheap hawker food are in the old estates...whampoa, pek kio, Queensway and ABC, toa payoh...etc. New estates like punggol, sengkang food mostly expensive and made by prc one, not nice. :tsk-tsk:

hopeful
28-02-11, 16:46
Must be one of the ABC condos...

err...what is ABC condos?

devilplate
28-02-11, 17:23
avila, azalea, ballota, carissa, dahlia, estella, edelwesis, ferraria, gale.

waiting for the HXXX condo to arrive soon?:D

Piglet
28-02-11, 19:45
Katong!
Always got nice food, can walk to parkway where all the banks are, soon to reopen katong mall. I love my new home!

But i hope something can be done about East coast road though. All the parallel parking by the road made traffice very bad.
But no carpark by the roadside, then the cars park where?

ANyone knows?

devilplate
28-02-11, 20:07
Katong!
Always got nice food, can walk to parkway where all the banks are, soon to reopen katong mall. I love my new home!

But i hope something can be done about East coast road though. All the parallel parking by the road made traffice very bad.

ANyone knows?
I park at katong plaza or can try luck at nrby open public carpark as well

Regulators
28-02-11, 20:34
North south east west of singapore got nice food, just need to know where to find
Katong!

ANyone knows?

Piglet
28-02-11, 21:05
Well thats true. But the diferrence is whether you NEED to go find it, or just walk out of the house and Its right there.

North south east west of singapore got nice food, just need to know where to find

wind30
01-03-11, 05:08
Well thats true. But the diferrence is whether you NEED to go find it, or just walk out of the house and Its right there.

for me good food mostly need to go and find it. Different markets has different "good" food. The market near my place I only like the wanton mee and duck rice. Other things need to go other markets.

Komo
01-03-11, 05:52
for me good food mostly need to go and find it. Different markets has different "good" food. The market near my place I only like the wanton mee and duck rice. Other things need to go other markets.
If you stay in jurong east or far west will you be so active to move all over Singapore for good food? Probably only look around the west. The best location to stay is in the centre of Singapore. Can drive to anywhere, not just for good food, within 30 min.

romeo
01-03-11, 23:02
talking abt east.. besides east coast, katong n kallang n joo chiat is best to me.. got old town ambience..

n oh yah.. geylang.. for the food of course..

i love the east.. although 2/3 of my life came from central bishan toa payoh..

romeo
01-03-11, 23:04
err...what is ABC condos?

i dun stay ABC condo lah.. but i nearly bought one last year though..

land118
01-03-11, 23:10
Since young and years ago, I associate

1. East- beach and airport

2. West - universities and jurong industrial, army camps

3. North - JB, Msia

4. South - CBD, orchard

5. Central- reservoir, Toa Payoh, Thomson

bullman
02-03-11, 06:32
I grew up in D9 and have stayed in that area till now. Its a small, closely knit community where I stay and its the sentimental value that has prevented me from moving. In addition, a 3 mins walk will bring me to the main Orchard shopping belt, which makes it convenient. Unlike Teddy, I will not wax on the pros of that area. Its always my belief: To each his own.

Lately, I have been increasingly drawn to the east coast for its lifestyle, and food of course. I bought a holiday home at the Seaview last year and have been staying over the weekends and during holidays. Will continue to stay there until Coralis is ready.

wind30
02-03-11, 15:31
the east go no good JCs right?

Hwa Chong and Raffles is both in central north+west.

urban
02-03-11, 16:05
Lately, I have been increasingly drawn to the east coast for its lifestyle, and food of course. I bought a holiday home at the Seaview last year and have been staying over the weekends and during holidays. Will continue to stay there until Coralis is ready.

I thought Seaview would be better than Coralis, but buying 2nd weekend home in Singapore is really :jaw-dropping:

Laguna
02-03-11, 20:29
I thought Seaview would be better than Coralis, but buying 2nd weekend home in Singapore is really :jaw-dropping:

It depends on what sort of unit he owns at The Seaview.
If low floor, facing MP road or the circle....then it is terrible

land118
02-03-11, 21:33

East have VJC...

mantrix
02-03-11, 21:48
East have VJC...

VJC good meh...... :(

land118
02-03-11, 21:53
VJC good meh...... :(

http://channeleducation.com.sg/Junior-College-Ranking.php

reuters
02-03-11, 22:24
East is very attractive, particularly the stretch where the beach is. Huge potential for further development into something nicer. Best is if the property is near shopping malls or town centres, cinema, famous eateries and good schools. Since it is already near to downtown, it will be incredibly attractive to stay there next time if MRT really develops.

land118
02-03-11, 22:31
East is very attractive, particularly the stretch where the beach is. Huge potential for further development into something nicer. Best is if the property is near shopping malls or town centres, cinema, famous eateries and good schools. Since it is already near to downtown, it will be incredibly attractive to stay there next time if MRT really develops.
Ya, this is the only decent beach on our mainland...rest not really fit for swimming

Regulators
02-03-11, 22:34
east coast beach is filthy like shit. i have not been to any singapore beach in ages, only time i go swimming at the beach is when i go places like langkawi, penang or bali.

Ya, this is the only decent beach on our mainland...rest not really fit for swimming

kane
02-03-11, 22:37
what do you think of the beaches at sentosa? i was there last weekend, felt that the water stinks.

rattydrama
02-03-11, 22:39
what do you think of the beaches at sentosa? i was there last weekend, felt that the water stinks.
nothing beats St John's Island maybe sisters' island!

land118
02-03-11, 22:47
east coast beach is filthy like shit. i have not been to any singapore beach in ages, only time i go swimming at the beach is when i go places like langkawi, penang or bali.
What to do, on mainland, to many east coast is the only beach we know. Some time ago, they checked and tested water quality at Pasir Ris beach and found that water quality there still unfit for swimming....

http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/08/neas-review-finds-water-at-pasir-ris.html

bullman
03-03-11, 07:23
It depends on what sort of unit he owns at The Seaview.
If low floor, facing MP road or the circle....then it is terrible

Will those units be considered as lifestyle weekend homes then?

gn108
03-03-11, 13:40
I grew up in the East and been here for decades and I loved it.
Beach, food, a very good Expressway.

But with all this comes heavy building density, crowds and traffic-jams and higher ERP cost (though not as bad as CTE).

So to each his own but now if you want the 'original old' East Coast rustic feel you will need to go further East to Changi North or Changi Village.

The East (Katong/Siglap Village) now is the 'old' Central (Newton/Holland V). Cars, crowds and jams with the bistros, cafes and restaurants displacing the mee-pok man.

azeoprop
03-03-11, 13:58
nothing beats St John's Island maybe sisters' island!

The beach at St John island used to have crystal clear waters....until a few years ago when they started reclaiming Lazarus island and join it with St john...the waters around the area became murky like the rest of Singapore .... :(

Regulators
03-03-11, 15:11
i dare not swim in the sea anymore, if you read about the jellyfish invasion in japan very frightening. kenna stung by a box jellyfish, get ready to make the coffin your bed liao

What to do, on mainland, to many east coast is the only beach we know. Some time ago, they checked and tested water quality at Pasir Ris beach and found that water quality there still unfit for swimming....

http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/08/neas-review-finds-water-at-pasir-ris.html

land118
03-03-11, 15:40
i dare not swim in the sea anymore, if you read about the jellyfish invasion in japan very frightening. kenna stung by a box jellyfish, get ready to make the coffin your bed liao

Amazing Giant Jellyfish invasion 2010

http://gatged.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/0_jellyfish.jpg
This is a crazy picture Yomiuri Shimbun shows a diving pool in the herd of giant jellyfish. These spots giant sea, known as Echizen kurage (Nomura is a jellyfish), causing severe damage, the Japanese fishing in the Sea of Japan each year. attack this year seems to be booming.

rattydrama
03-03-11, 20:03
The beach at St John island used to have crystal clear waters....until a few years ago when they started reclaiming Lazarus island and join it with St john...the waters around the area became murky like the rest of Singapore .... :(
Wow really? My last visit was 20 years back. What about Sister's island?

levittdub
04-03-11, 07:37
Staying in the East. Reason being: my kid's primary school is in the east.

Great place to be frank. Very accessible.

romeo
04-03-11, 23:35

having good schools is one..
whether one's offsprings are good enuff to enter is another..

wind30
05-03-11, 10:00
having good schools is one..
whether one's offsprings are good enuff to enter is another..

actually VJC is quite lousy lah. My time where got hear of VJC.....

JC is either only hwachong or Raffles. the rest the standard is very different.

sh
05-03-11, 21:12

Hey... don't say bad things about my ex-school....:simmering:

Besides, which other JC is beside the sea....:D

teddybear
05-03-11, 21:52
My time where got Hwa Chong JC & Raffles JC? Think Standard all same same lah. :p