PDA

View Full Version : [HDB News]PAP Desmond Choo:'I understand how the poor feel'.He stayed in 4-room flat

wenqing
23-03-11, 00:59
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3154796

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages?msg=46330.1

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110322-0000378/I-understand-how-the-poor-feel

'I understand how the poor feel'
by Ong Dai Lin 04:46 AM Mar 22, 2011

http://imcmsimages.mediacorp.sg/cmsfileserver/showimageCC.aspx?360&240&f=2240&img=2240_358583.jpg&h=360&w=240

SINGAPORE - As a child, Mr Desmond Choo lived in a maisonette and made annual trips to Hong Kong to visit his father who was working there.

But those trips stopped after his father's antique business failed and the family was plunged into financial distress.

"From being able to travel to Hong Kong every year to see him, suddenly, we had problems getting pocket money," recounted Mr Choo, 33. He added that his father had to borrow money to put food on the table.

Mr Choo's family later moved to a four-room flat where they have stayed for the last 15 years.

His family's experience helped shape his mentality that "no one should be left behind regardless of their financial situation", said Mr Choo as he explained why he entered politics.

He has also realised that his family's situation was not unique. Said Mr Choo: "Our national polices have served the majority well. However, unfortunately, some do fall through the cracks."

Mr Choo said his father is working as a security officer and would tell him of problems in the industry, such as the difficulties of working a 12-hour shift.

Mr Choo, who is also the executive secretary of the Union of Security Employees, pledged yesterday that he will help those in the security industry to "get more out of their work".

He said: "No one must be left behind and, wherever I go, I'm there to serve first and foremost before anything else."

Mr Choo is widely tipped to contest in Opposition stronghold Hougang.

On his chances of succeeding where previous PAP candidate Eric Low had failed in two attempts, Mr Choo would only say that he wanted to implement schemes to help the "many poor residents" there, for "as long as it takes".

Desmond Choo Pey Ching

NTUC youth development unit deputy director, 33

FACTFILE:

- Was in the police force for 13 years, holding appointments such as the deputy commander of Clementi Police Division

- Joined NTUC in May last year. Also the executive secretary of the Union of Security Employees.

- Since February, appointed second adviser to Hougang grassroots organisations

- Initiated in Hougang a healthcare scheme for poor residents

POSSIBLE WARD:

Hougang SMC

wenqing
23-03-11, 01:02
I did not know definition of poor in Singapore means staying in 4-room HDB flat.

That is hell of alot of poor people in Singapore then.

Bet those 1 roomers to 3 roomers will feel crap after reading his story.

Hope our wonderful and talented government do something about it.

This new PAP candidate got off to a bad start, his this statement receive alot of criticisms all over internet including TODAY website.

Great EQ from our great future leaders.

This guy is just example how much PAP had lost touch with Singaporeans compare to the first batches of PAP MPs.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

devilplate
23-03-11, 01:29
wenqing: wats ur agenda?

wenqing
23-03-11, 01:34

Now that you ask, I cannot think of one. Don't think too much.

Just sharing some public news floating on internet.

Hey, this is free advertising for PAP new candidate.

devilplate
23-03-11, 01:36
Now that you ask, I cannot think of one. Don't think too much.

Just sharing some public news floating on internet.

Hey, this is free advertising for PAP new candidate.

its a political news rather den ppty news wor...:beats-me-man:

i participate actively in this forum becoz i am a ppty enthu particularly pte ppty....

u shd goto proper forum/channel tat suit ur interest?

wenqing
23-03-11, 01:40

Lol , political news is not a bad thing, it is a normal thing.

Besides it is news already made public for all to see and hear.

I am just jumping in since everyone is so passionate debating about Minister Pay Raise 2011 in other thread.

It is good healthy debate and value-add knowledge.

wenqing
23-03-11, 01:42

i participate actively in this forum becoz i am a ppty enthu particularly pte ppty....

Bet you learnt alot these short period of time.

Once in 5 years, do not be so fussy lah.

How many 5 years do you have ??

:beats-me-man: :beats-me-man: :beats-me-man:

devilplate
23-03-11, 01:48
Bet you learnt alot these short period of time.

Once in 5 years, do not be so fussy lah.

How many 5 years do you have ??

:beats-me-man: :beats-me-man: :beats-me-man:

i am here bcoz this is a primarily a condo forum wor....i am sure there r other political forums rite? y spread politics here...?:(

i m not into polictics la....not my cup lor....if got opposition contest my area....den i will go listen listen and decide who to vote lor....vy simple lor....

wenqing
23-03-11, 01:50
i am here bcoz this is a primarily a condo forum wor....i am sure there r other political forums rite? y spread politics here...?:(

i m not into polictics la....not my cup lor....if got opposition contest my area....den i will go listen listen and decide who to vote lor....vy simple lor....

Since you agree burden is on readers , not writers then skip this thread then.

You can ignore which you always do.

devilplate
23-03-11, 01:51

I am just jumping in since everyone is so passionate debating about Minister Pay Raise 2011 in other thread.

post under proper thread? coffeeshoptalk....tok anything under the sun yay:cheers6:

devilplate
23-03-11, 01:52
Since you agree burden is on readers , not writers then skip this thread then.

You can ignore which you always do.

but i dunwan u to turn this forum into a political forum!!!:doh:

Komo
23-03-11, 07:11
Don't worry next upgrading plan will add 1 room to all, so 4 room flat becomes 5 room. Govt will upgrade for you and you just need to chip in a bit.:D

howgozit
23-03-11, 07:17
wenqing,

you are spamming this forum with politics.

ay123
23-03-11, 09:26
I did not know definition of poor in Singapore means staying in 4-room HDB flat.

That is hell of alot of poor people in Singapore then.

Bet those 1 roomers to 3 roomers will feel crap after reading his story.

Hope our wonderful and talented government do something about it.

This new PAP candidate got off to a bad start, his this statement receive alot of criticisms all over internet including TODAY website.

Great EQ from our great future leaders.

This guy is just example how much PAP had lost touch with Singaporeans compare to the first batches of PAP MPs.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

u are a problem old man. u oppose everything PAP does. told u many time if u are gutsy enough stand out and talk don hide behind the computer. u are more of personal anger towards the govt than discussion. :doh: hopeless man!!

wenqing
23-03-11, 09:27
u are a problem old man. u oppose everything PAP does. told u many time if u are gutsy enough stand out and talk don hide behind the computer. u are more of personal anger towards the govt than discussion. :doh: hopeless man!!

If this is what you think, I cannot control your thoughts.

Whatever was posted are facts from MSM.

So if you cannot accept and reconcile facts and truth, do not find others to blame.

Your blind support will come back to haunt you someday but thats your right.

So far, you had fail to justify the support for government performance past 5 years besides making personal attacks and insults.

If thats all you can resort too, it entrenches the fact Singapore system is not well.

:doh: :doh:

wenqing
23-03-11, 09:34

What is ST's and CNA's agenda.

How about the agenda of other threads about Oppositon wards ??

wenqing
23-03-11, 09:36
wenqing,

you are spamming this forum with politics.

I think you should fully understand the word spamming before loosely using it.

I don't regard this as spamming, if not , other threads not started by me is also regarded as spamming already.

mcmlxxvi
23-03-11, 09:57

Aiyo you should just say this is not like any other political news - there is mention of property in headline. 4 room hdb.

wenqing
23-03-11, 09:59
Aiyo you should just say this is not like any other political news - there is mention of property in headline. 4 room hdb.

Sorry my mistake.

:banghead: :D :cheers1:

mcmlxxvi
23-03-11, 10:03
Now that I fully read the article, I realised whoever quoted the article either accidentally or deliberately took it out of context. Note that if one's mind is not thinking clear without bias, everything they see or read may be tainted. The 'poor' period of the minister life is right after his dad business failed and when he barely had pocket money. It was not referring to the part after that difficult period when they finally got better and stay in 4 room hdb.

Regulators
23-03-11, 10:14
KNN is desmond choo trying to insult singaporeans living in 4rm flats? Some people earning give figure monthly salaries choose to live in 4 rm hdb flats so are they poor? So just because he is an mp now, he made it from rags to riches so can call 4rm hdb dwellers poor? These is the quality of pap candidates? Omg :doh:

devilplate
23-03-11, 10:16
What is ST's and CNA's agenda.

How about the agenda of other threads about Oppositon wards ??
U r the one who started most of these political related threads in this condo forum!!! Tats y i ask ur agenda of doing tat.... Newspaper aso got diff sections!!! I like to read money section for eg n will b turn off if they add in such stuff under tat section!

I oredi suggested u to go to other forum tat suits ur topic or kindly just post it under coffeeshop talks.... Tks

ay123
23-03-11, 10:16
If this is what you think, I cannot control your thoughts.

Whatever was posted are facts from MSM.

So if you cannot accept and reconcile facts and truth, do not find others to blame.

Your blind support will come back to haunt you someday but thats your right.

So far, you had fail to justify the support for government performance past 5 years besides making personal attacks and insults.

If thats all you can resort too, it entrenches the fact Singapore system is not well.

:doh: :doh:

the fact is the candidate stay in 4 room flat. the fact is he went thru poor. this is the fact right. what is the issue?

did spore scrap thru global crisis? and rebound with 14.5% growth? then u said the figure can be twisted.
govt used past reserve to help save job. u not happy becos u think our reserve guardian did not do his job to guard the reserve.
is this not performing?
what did the opposition doing when we are facing crisis? govt want to use reserve to save job, opposition ask why not channel the money to the worker instead to tide over the crisis. this is short sighted. they only apply medicine on the wound not considering the long term result.

hopeful
23-03-11, 10:53
I oredi suggested u to go to other forum tat suits ur topic or kindly just post it under coffeeshop talks.... Tks

I am sure Mr Funny will do that appropriate action.

august
23-03-11, 11:28
goes to show how out of touch the men in white are. :o

august
23-03-11, 11:30

dont be naive, politics affect EVERYTHING

dont like to read no one force u to, just learn to ignore what u dislike :o

devilplate
23-03-11, 12:21

opposition supporters like to call ppl ignorant? den now naive?:doh:

i said very clearly: post it under the right section and or better still...other suitable forum

cannot simply say: ignore wat u dislike....its irresponsible.....:doh:

dun tell me u aso agree : burden lies on reader/buyer and not writer/agt/seller?:doh:

both parties r responsible yay:D

hopeful
23-03-11, 12:54

how can say like that, there's a time and place for everything.
You don't do a political monologue inside an MRT train do you. The passengers can ignore if they dislike.
Or in the office, you do a diatribe against your managers. The managers can ignore if they dislike also right? You tell your manager nobody force him to listen to you.
this is a property forum.

wenqing
23-03-11, 13:06
the fact is the candidate stay in 4 room flat. the fact is he went thru poor. this is the fact right. what is the issue?

did spore scrap thru global crisis? and rebound with 14.5% growth? then u said the figure can be twisted.
govt used past reserve to help save job. u not happy becos u think our reserve guardian did not do his job to guard the reserve.
is this not performing?
what did the opposition doing when we are facing crisis? govt want to use reserve to save job, opposition ask why not channel the money to the worker instead to tide over the crisis. this is short sighted. they only apply medicine on the wound not considering the long term result.

You are really out of touch and funny.

Go and read up more before posting inaccurate stuff.

The entire world came out from financial crisis , not just Singapore.

Hong Kong was the first and North Korea was not even affected, so their governments the best ??

Besides, it was the unprecedented world governments pumping in record rescue packages that save the day, not PAP.

I think you are those type that thinks PAP can make earth rotate backwards.

Governments use reserve for Job Credit scheme but companies apply this to their balance sheet and use it to keep jobs of foreigners as well as Singaporeans in the companies.

Singaporean taxpayer money , foreign worker also have a share, the execution was greatly flawed.

China government already said GDP figures can be man-made.

You can believe all you want but most Singaporeans do not feel any different or affected by the good figures.

Only Civil Service depends on GDP figures for salary raise and bonuses.

wenqing
23-03-11, 13:08
Now that I fully read the article, I realised whoever quoted the article either accidentally or deliberately took it out of context. Note that if one's mind is not thinking clear without bias, everything they see or read may be tainted. The 'poor' period of the minister life is right after his dad business failed and when he barely had pocket money. It was not referring to the part after that difficult period when they finally got better and stay in 4 room hdb.

The article put it quite clearly staying in 4 room HDB flat was part of the 'poor period' for him.

He moved from a maisonette to 4 room flat.

ysyap
23-03-11, 13:21
The article put it quite clearly staying in 4 room HDB flat was part of the 'poor period' for him.

Actually the article is rather misleading...

First the title whoever posted it, reads .... how the poor feel'. He stayed in 4-room flat. This inevitably shaped our thoughts before we even read the article.:scared-4:

Second, the article actually records that the poor period is when they had to borrow to eat. Next paragraph, it recorded, 'later', is it after poor period or after they lived in massionette? Not clear so stir up discussion for us...

Third, many replies seem to suggest that the MP is out of poverty and is now well off therefore many people are unhappy that he's insensitive by calling those who stay in 4 room HDB flat as poor. The article clearly states that he is still living in the 4 room flat the last 15 years so technically, based on the same argument, he is still poor, isn't he? He is not rich, like many people quoted. :doh:

hopeful
23-03-11, 13:22

SINGAPORE - As a child, Mr Desmond Choo lived in a maisonette and made annual trips to Hong Kong to visit his father who was working there.
.................... recounted Mr Choo, 33. He added that his father had to borrow money to put food on the table.
Mr Choo's family later moved to a four-room flat where they have stayed for the last 15 years.

what can you calculate?
Mr Choo 33 yo, stay 4room for 15 year, so he moved to 4 room when he was 18yo. Is 18yo still considered a child?
There are gaps in the article.
During the poor period, does it mean the family still stay in maisonette but father has to borrow money to put food on the table?
or he move someplace else (which was not mentioned in the article) and at 18yo moved to 4 room flat?

wenqing
23-03-11, 13:32
.................... recounted Mr Choo, 33. He added that his father had to borrow money to put food on the table.

what can you calculate?
Mr Choo 33 yo, stay 4room for 15 year, so he moved to 4 room when he was 18yo. Is 18yo still considered a child?
There are gaps in the article.
During the poor period, does it mean the family still stay in maisonette but father has to borrow money to put food on the table?
or he move someplace else (which was not mentioned in the article) and at 18yo moved to 4 room flat?

??????

18 years old cannot be poor and stay in 4 room flat ??

I hope you can read plain English and be more direct.

Nobody is saying staying in 4 room flat is poor.

But to this PAP candidate, he thinks staying in a 4 room flat from maisonette is considered poor to him, that is how he relates to being poor.

He use a bad example to connect to the poor.

devilplate
23-03-11, 13:37
the whole thread is damn boliao la.....tats y i got annoyed last nite!:simmering: :simmering: :simmering:

no valued added at all! duno wats the purpose of bringing in this article and post it under this thread somemore!!!

testing whos english standard better? comprehension test???:doh: :doh: :doh:

aso duno whether the writer of the article misinterpret anot....mabe wrong choice of words? mabe tat guy meant it to be another way but the article turns out to be like dat? jus read it with pinch of salt....and y nid to create a big hoo ha and bother to post it here!

hopeful
23-03-11, 13:48
??????

But to this PAP candidate, he thinks staying in a 4 room flat from maisonette is considered poor to him, that is how he relates to being poor.

obviously your comprehension is poor.
18yo cannot be considered a child anymore.
when he as a child, make HK trip and then couldn't anymore, he is still a child, that was his poor period, when he has pocket money problem and father has to borrow money to put food on the table.

So during the intervening years, from child to 18yo. it didn't mention anything about where they stay. They continue staying in maisonette? asset rich but cash poor? hence father borrow to put food on table.

where exactly in the article do you get that idea from?

peterng8
23-03-11, 13:49
look in another perspective, wenqing views is also very diverse in terms of politics and others..and also the way he looks at various secenerio....Some of the points he mentions I dont even think about it and I am more aware...

He could made a fine opposition party, has he ever considered joining this camp and voice out in parliament...I think alot of people resided here would like to see intellectual debate on this instead of present situation where I seldom see (if any) in Parlllament...as mybe no one want to rock the boat(sorry borrow our freind phasre from other thread)...:D

one thing for sure...with inflation up and up...alot of people dread to pay more what happen if GST MAY increase again(GST increases always have a cascading effect in price increases...eg fishball noodle at S$3 will jump to S$3.50 even GST increase is 10% for eg)...:scared-4:

devilplate
23-03-11, 13:57
he is simply spreading political virus here lah...

there r other forum like hardwarezone....and there r many 'hidden heroes' there who can tok and debate better

me not keen at all and tats y nvr visit those forums....only come here for ppty discussions.....but now flooded with such stuff....really sian man!:doh:

wenqing
23-03-11, 13:58
obviously your comprehension is poor.
18yo cannot be considered a child anymore.
when he as a child, make HK trip and then couldn't anymore, he is still a child, that was his poor period, when he has pocket money problem and father has to borrow money to put food on the table.

So during the intervening years, from child to 18yo. it didn't mention anything about where they stay. They continue staying in maisonette? asset rich but cash poor? hence father borrow to put food on table.

where exactly in the article do you get that idea from?

Who is talking about child here or not ?

What is moving in 4 room flat from maisonette connected whether he is child or not ?

You mean from 18 years old until 33 years old, where he still feel poor because he stay in 4 room flat and making statement out of it is considered different ??

He is comparing his years in maisonette, pocket money and travel to 4 room flat, less pocket money and no travel to relate to poor.

Does he know what poor really means in Singapore ??

hopeful
23-03-11, 13:59
l......
He could made a fine opposition party, has he ever considered joining this camp and voice out in parliament...I think alot of people resided here would like to see intellectual debate on this instead of present situation where I seldom see (if any) in Parlllament...as mybe no one want to rock the boat(sorry borrow our freind phasre from other thread)...:D

Yup, if & when Wenqing becomes an MP, during debates, he will point out articles from Temasekreview, Hardwarezone, to support his arguments:D:D:D:D:D
This article from Temasekreview say this.
That article from Hardwarezone will back this article from Temasekreview.
this article says government make bad investment in Citibank.:rolleyes:

devilplate
23-03-11, 14:00
??????

the whole thread is damn boliao la.....tats y i got annoyed last nite!:simmering: :simmering: :simmering:

no valued added at all! duno wats the purpose of bringing in this article and post it under this thread somemore!!!

aso duno whether the writer of the article misinterpret anot....mabe wrong choice of words? mabe tat guy meant it to be another way but the article turns out to be like dat? jus read it with pinch of salt....and y nid to create a big hoo ha and bother to post it here!

wenqing
23-03-11, 14:00
look in another perspective, wenqing views is also very diverse in terms of politics and others..and also the way he looks at various secenerio....Some of the points he mentions I dont even think about it and I am more aware...

one thing for sure...with inflation up and up...alot of people dread to pay more what happen if GST MAY increase again(GST increases always have a cascading effect in price increases...eg fishball noodle at S$3 will jump to S$3.50 even GST increase is 10% for eg)...:scared-4:

Errr...this is not politics.

This is current affairs affecting our daily lives.

If you take time to think about what our leaders says, most are gaffes.

It is just that the MSM help shield them with better headlines.

devilplate
23-03-11, 14:01
Who is talking about child here or not ?

What is moving in 4 room flat from maisonette connected whether he is child or not ?

You mean from 18 years old until 33 years old, where he still feel poor because he stay in 4 room flat and making statement out of it is considered different ??

He is comparing his years in maisonette, pocket money and travel to 4 room flat, less pocket money and no travel to relate to poor.

Does he know what poor really means in Singapore ??

wenqing
23-03-11, 14:01
Yup, if & when Wenqing becomes an MP, during debates, he will point out articles from Temasekreview, Hardwarezone, to support his arguments:D:D:D:D:D
This article from Temasekreview say this.
That article from Hardwarezone will back this article from Temasekreview.
this article says government make bad investment in Citibank.:rolleyes:

I think you are babbling nonsense.

Most root sources are from MSM itself.

extremme
24-03-11, 23:07
Stay in 4 room flat poor? I grew up in a 3 room flat so I'm poorer? What an immature statement made by dis candidate. Instead of trying to empathize with e real poor he has distanced himself from them by not being able to tell and demonstrate wat is real poor. This just goes to show bulk of pap candidates are rich. If not how will they be able to attend harvard, Cambridge etc how can these rich people born with silver spoon in their mouth ever be able to have e same goals n dreams as e average Joe in the street?

devilplate
24-03-11, 23:31
Stay in 4 room flat poor? I grew up in a 3 room flat so I'm poorer? What an immature statement made by dis candidate. Instead of trying to empathize with e real poor he has distanced himself from them by not being able to tell and demonstrate wat is real poor. This just goes to show bulk of pap candidates are rich. If not how will they be able to attend harvard, Cambridge etc how can these rich people born with silver spoon in their mouth ever be able to have e same goals n dreams as e average Joe in the street?

actually the title is: i understand how the poor feel.......but duno y smbody added in 'he stayed in 4rm flat'

different definition of poor.....some say they poor bcoz they stayed in 1rm flat....barely make ends meet blah blah....but when compared to those african kids.....who is poorer....? so some will interpret, hey u like dat call urself poor? u duno wat is poor!?!

another group will interpret: hey i stay in 4rm flat while driving S class merc....poor? its a matter of choice....they will feel insulted...

wrong choice of words? mabe its better for him to say: i stay in HDB before for 15yrs and i can understand the various needs of the heartlanders better....:beats-me-man: :D

haha....politics damn sian one.....say one word wrongly....kena left right centre...smtimes they dun say anything better den they tok too much? haha

howgozit
24-03-11, 23:39
Finally this thread in proper place at Coffeeshop Talk for Wenqing to pursue his boliao agenda here.

You are full of self-righteous arrogance. Your born loser mentality is pitiful....

westman
24-03-11, 23:57

KNN, Not really poor but pretend to be poor ...:doh:

Me lagi poor as ever living in rented flat with family for 20++ years.
During these twenty over years, PUB terminated power supply numerous time due to unpaid PUB bills. Dinner was plain rice with beef stock only.

extremme
25-03-11, 00:00
Yup it definitely is a wrong choice of words there he should have put it across in a nicer tone. If this matter gets more attention n he loses at hougang bet we will never see dis candidate again . And there ate many rich people living in Hdbs too

actually the title is: i understand how the poor feel.......but duno y smbody added in 'he stayed in 4rm flat'

different definition of poor.....some say they poor bcoz they stayed in 1rm flat....barely make ends meet blah blah....but when compared to those african kids.....who is poorer....? so some will interpret, hey u like dat call urself poor? u duno wat is poor!?!

another group will interpret: hey i stay in 4rm flat while driving S class merc....poor? its a matter of choice....they will feel insulted...

wrong choice of words? mabe its better for him to say: i stay in HDB before for 15yrs and i can understand the various needs of the heartlanders better....:beats-me-man: :D

haha....politics damn sian one.....say one word wrongly....kena left right centre...smtimes they dun say anything better den they tok too much? haha

westman
25-03-11, 00:01

If politician cannot tahan L/R/C, than they better hide than coming out to contest.
So far, papees roll out 6 candidates (33% are FT turn citizen :doh:, Singaporeans very lousy meh? ), dun't really that impressive wor... maybe goood one come last...:2cents:

devilplate
25-03-11, 00:18
If politician cannot tahan L/R/C, than they better hide than coming out to contest.
So far, papees roll out 6 candidates (33% are FT turn citizen :doh:, Singaporeans very lousy meh? ), dun't really that impressive wor... maybe goood one come last...:2cents:

latest figures: singaporeans only 74%(3771.7/5076.7) of the entire population....

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/themes/people/hist/popn.html

peterng8
25-03-11, 00:28
latest figures: singaporeans only 74%(3771.7/5076.7) of the entire population....

in future more and more converted singaporeans as birth rate going down...si meh jialat...singaporean children have to defend country full of converted singaporeans...:D must drag the converted singaporeans to serve NS (reservist too) ask them to become cook, driver, mechanices, IT personnel also good...:D

peterng8
25-03-11, 00:32

possibly converted singaporeans are sure 100% vote for the white mah...so if u want supporters who do you call? not ghost buster but converted singaporean :D

westman
25-03-11, 00:36

Bro, if you read the fine print, 3771k refer to residents lah.
Singaporean only 3230K (63.63% only). PR is 541k. Also, I believe the 3230k should include at least 20% of those FT-turned- Citizen (many of them from malaysia and china wor) and I estimated local pure Singaporean to be around 2548k and that is just 50.91% only nia.:doh:

Garment allows more FT to come in maybe for the following reasons:

1) Instant income for garment, be it from tax or Permits
2) Dun't need to pay baby bonus
3) Dun't need to wait twenty years after paying baby bonus
4) Less expenses to invest in younglings.
5) Lower operations costs for businesses with influx of FT who asking lesser than SGrean.
6) Improve critical business masses for economics reasons.

- 10 year ago FT took away low wages job from us
- now Ft took away hawker stalls business from us as an example, they have upgraded wor...
- 10 years from now, do you think FT will take away our children's job?

With more FT turn-MP, do you expedct more pro-FT policy to come?:2cents:

devilplate
25-03-11, 01:21
Bro, if you read the fine print, 3771k refer to residents lah.
Singaporean only 3230K (63.63% only). PR is 541k. Also, I believe the 3230k should include at least 20% of those FT-turned- Citizen (many of them from malaysia and china wor) and I estimated local pure Singaporean to be around 2548k and that is just 50.91% only nia.:doh:

Garment allows more FT to come in maybe for the following reasons:

1) Instant income for garment, be it from tax or Permits
2) Dun't need to pay baby bonus
3) Dun't need to wait twenty years after paying baby bonus
4) Less expenses to invest in younglings.
5) Lower operations costs for businesses with influx of FT who asking lesser than SGrean.
6) Improve critical business masses for economics reasons.

- 10 year ago FT took away low wages job from us
- now Ft took away hawker stalls business from us as an example, they have upgraded wor...
- 10 years from now, do you think FT will take away our children's job?

With more FT turn-MP, do you expedct more pro-FT policy to come?:2cents:

our unemployment rate about 2%....if dun allow FTs, there will be a wage war....gd for employees....hurt employer's pocket and ultimately tx the cost to end user....which in turn hurt the low income most? so i support productivity....abit too late....but better den nvr...

as for newly converted singka turn-MP, i tink shd be ok rite....as they oredi converted, they shd protect their interest?

i feel govt shd draw deeper lines between PR and citizen so as to attract more PR to convert:2cents: :cheers6:

for me, i am ok with more converted singka.....but not ok with increasing % of PRs and FTs

westman
25-03-11, 07:31
our unemployment rate about 2%....if dun allow FTs, there will be a wage war....gd for employees....hurt employer's pocket and ultimately tx the cost to end user....which in turn hurt the low income most? so i support productivity....abit too late....but better den nvr...

as for newly converted singka turn-MP, i tink shd be ok rite....as they oredi converted, they shd protect their interest?

i feel govt shd draw deeper lines between PR and citizen so as to attract more PR to convert:2cents: :cheers6:

for me, i am ok with more converted singka.....but not ok with increasing % of PRs and FTs

I felt very sad yesterday evening after reading a news report about a 68 years old man was arrested for hitting people.

What happened was this old man has been working odd job for the past ten years. However, job was getting hard to get lately due to his age and poor health. Also, this old man has asthma, heart problem and weak limps.

With zero income, this old uncle turn to illegal food selling for survival. Law finally catch up on him yesterday and garment enforcers wanted to confiscate his tricycle and tools during a raid. The poor old uncle got agitated thus getting very defensive so as to propect his last asset for survival.

According to the report, police confirmed the old man was arrested becos he assualted someone and they are currently investigating the matter.

My heart was deepened becos why an old man have to turn to illgal food selling at 68 years old? What has happened to our society?

The old uncle can work as cleaner be it in HDB or Kopitiam but, unfortunately, those cleaner jobs were mostly taken up by FT if you observe carefully. I dun't mind more FT to come if everyone in SG is well taken care and their interests are protected before all else.

The issue here is not to argue whether this old man deserve to get caught but what happened to him may also happened to us too.

hyenergix
25-03-11, 07:39
Where are his children?

westman
25-03-11, 08:12
Where are his children?

This ah peh has been separated with him for 40+ years and his three kids stay with ex-wife. Never contact each other since.

Doubt that old man is good either. However, am very concern that we will have to work to keep our mouth feed when we reached that age.

hopeful
25-03-11, 08:45
anybody called social services to check on him?
the police attempted to seize his tricycle sounds similar to the police seizing the poor Tunisian cart, which of course lead to the current unrest in the Middleeast.
I don't want the old man to immolate himself and cause instability in the region also.

Anywhere, I read of cases where people deliberately get themselves sent to prison because have free food.

westman
25-03-11, 09:46
anybody called social services to check on him?
the police attempted to seize his tricycle sounds similar to the police seizing the poor Tunisian cart, which of course lead to the current unrest in the Middleeast.
I don't want the old man to immolate himself and cause instability in the region also.

Anywhere, I read of cases where people deliberately get themselves sent to prison because have free food.

Thanks. Good strategy to get food! Another retirement option for us.

hopeful
25-03-11, 10:07
Thanks. Good strategy to get food! Another retirement option for us.

just remember to commit only soft crimes, not hard crimes.

Hard crimes like inflicting injury, rape, or anything that hurts a victim is a no no. If below 50 (60?) will be caned some more.
Soft crimes like littering, jaywalking and refusing to pay fine is ok.

ay123
25-03-11, 10:21
Such case happen everyday everywhere. every country has poor people and a country cannot and not possible to go and check on every street to hunt them and give help. if there is any needy person and if they open their mouth and ask for help do u think govt or anyone will not give a helping hand? there is no one policy that can tackle all issue. those people who keep complaining about govt not doing a good job by not taking care of this and that. why don these HERO come out with SOLUTION!!! u complain and complain and complain until u die also no use. is either u stand out and shout or shut up and carry on yr life. don be a hero wearing skirt and hide behind the computer. (wenqing this is for u, hopeless man)

august
25-03-11, 11:08
Such case happen everyday everywhere. every country has poor people and a country cannot and not possible to go and check on every street to hunt them and give help. if there is any needy person and if they open their mouth and ask for help do u think govt or anyone will not give a helping hand? there is no one policy that can tackle all issue. those people who keep complaining about govt not doing a good job by not taking care of this and that. why don these HERO come out with SOLUTION!!! u complain and complain and complain until u die also no use. is either u stand out and shout or shut up and carry on yr life. don be a hero wearing skirt and hide behind the computer. (wenqing this is for u, hopeless man)

this is a familiar refrain from the pap and its supporters. However such thinking is flawed.

It shows that u are another person who has been deceived by the rhetoric of the pap govt over the years. What they have tricked you into believing is that a person has no right to criticise the govt - no right even to speak the truth, about the government - if that person does not offer constructive suggestions.

This is nonsense. If you get bad services from a doctor, you have the right to criticize him. If you get bad services in a restaurant, you have the right to criticize. If you get bad services from a property agent, an insurance agent, and so on, u have the right to criticize.

It is NOT your job to teach the doctor how to be a good doctor. It is NOT your job to teach the airline how to be a good airline. It is THEIR job to figure that out.

So it is with the govt.

Unfortunately, you don't think that way. Because you've been tricked.

:)

devilplate
25-03-11, 11:13
everybody complain once in a while....but dun overdo it until it irritates others

ay123
25-03-11, 11:23
this is a familiar refrain from the pap and its supporters. However such thinking is flawed.

It shows that u are another person who has been deceived by the rhetoric of the pap govt over the years. What they have tricked you into believing is that a person has no right to criticise the govt - no right even to speak the truth, about the government - if that person does not offer constructive suggestions.

This is nonsense. If you get bad services from a doctor, you have the right to criticize him. If you get bad services in a restaurant, you have the right to criticize. If you get bad services from a property agent, an insurance agent, and so on, u have the right to criticize.

It is NOT your job to teach the doctor how to be a good doctor. It is NOT your job to teach the airline how to be a good airline. It is THEIR job to figure that out.

So it is with the govt.

Unfortunately, you don't think that way. Because you've been tricked.

:)

precisely is their job to do the job well. so if a commoner who is not an expertise in this field. what make the person think that govt is not doing a good job. he made such statement when he see ppl struggling to fight inflation. if he can come out with solution to tackle inflation then voice out but if he cannot offer any solution becos he does not have sych knowledge what make him say that govt is not doing a good job. i do not side any party, i vote for result that i can see and so far i think we are doing good. this is not complacent. i vote with my eye open. looking at the opposition calibre, is a NO.

westman
25-03-11, 11:25
everybody complain once in a while....but dun overdo it until it irritates others

Agreed. PAP does good things too.

However, vote for the one that offer good service.
It would be bad when you continue to believe someone even when this someone produce shit, tell you it's a rose and it smell like rose.

过渡的相信就变成迷信

westman
25-03-11, 11:32
precisely is their job to do the job well. so if a commoner who is not an expertise in this field. what make the person think that govt is not doing a good job. he made such statement when he see ppl struggling to fight inflation. if he can come out with solution to tackle inflation then voice out but if he cannot offer any solution becos he does not have sych knowledge what make him say that govt is not doing a good job. i do not side any party, i vote for result that i can see and so far i think we are doing good. this is not complacent. i vote with my eye open. looking at the opposition calibre, is a NO.

I fully agreed with you that WQ is probably abot enthu into the issues.
We should deal with the matter and not personal.

However, the issue here is not about How enthu he is...
Imagine this, you are a dog. You master give you a nice kennel, feed you well, the only thing he ask for is: dun't try to funny with him and he have to follow everything he asks you too else you cannot get your treats.

Do you want this?

august
25-03-11, 11:34
you are going around in a loop. Just continue to be deceived. :)

anyway the joke is on this Desmond candidate whether you like it or not or however hard you try to defend him. 4-room HDB is poor, wow... hehehehe :D

extremme
25-03-11, 23:55
The old uncle can work as cleaner be it in HDB or Kopitiam but, unfortunately, those cleaner jobs were mostly taken up by FT if you observe carefully. I dun't mind more FT to come if everyone in SG is well taken care and their interests are protected before all else.

The issue here is not to argue whether this old man deserve to get caught but what happened to him may also happened to us too.

I feel very sad for him too!! Im sorry this has to happen to anyone but at least Im clear now on who Im going to vote for this time. Wonder will I be like him when Im old and all the FT takes away me and my children's jobs and HDB are at sky rocket prices.

extremme
25-03-11, 23:57
Heard that this person is h*o lia* ...... hmmmmm

wenqing
26-03-11, 00:38

Maybe the problem lies with yourself.

You cannot handle the truth the party you supported had slide from a once people's government to a self-serving greedy government.

Some video for you.

You Can't Handle The Truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY

:D :D :D

Regulators
26-03-11, 01:17
Of course a government has to do well for the country, you expect a government to do badly? With 40% of parliament occupied by opposition, the government will do even better for the people coz there are more safeguards for people's rights. i for one would want to see medical fees going down and greater medical subsidies given to the people. With our current government in power, it is very difficult to achieve that. Ask yourself what has the government done to the medical services in our country, making singapore a world class medical hub but so many people would rather die than see a doctor for long term treatment of terminal illnesses. Every visit to a specialist can cost up to $200 just for consultation and those having to do kidney dialysis having to pay thousands a month and chemotherapy costing thousands per session. What about all those scans and lab tests costing hundreds of dollars each time. Not everybody can afford insurance and medisave is heavily restricted even though it is people's own money. We are not a welfare state, but if you have relatives who have sought medical treatment, can you say that the bills are reasonable? My relatives would rather go to places like Ipoh for quality medical treatment at half the cost than do it in Singapore. I sometimes feel that being a foreigner PR in Singapore is no different from being a Singaporean and many PRs are laughing at us coz our govt is treating them almost on par as citizens. Just ask yourself how much better off are we compared to PR foreigners who can simply walk out of our country anytime after our country has lost its use to them. Our government is opening doors to any tom dick or harry into our country, just walk around and you can see it for yourself. How many of those foreign PRs you see around you are top grade people? We are getting remnants of those foreigners who are unable to make it to United States.

westman
26-03-11, 09:39
Of course a government has to do well for the country, you expect a government to do badly? With 40% of parliament occupied by opposition, the government will do even better for the people coz there are more safeguards for people's rights. i for one would want to see medical fees going down and greater medical subsidies given to the people. With our current government in power, it is very difficult to achieve that. Ask yourself what has the government done to the medical services in our country, making singapore a world class medical hub but so many people would rather die than see a doctor for long term treatment of terminal illnesses. Every visit to a specialist can cost up to $200 just for consultation and those having to do kidney dialysis having to pay thousands a month and chemotherapy costing thousands per session. What about all those scans and lab tests costing hundreds of dollars each time. Not everybody can afford insurance and medisave is heavily restricted even though it is people's own money. We are not a welfare state, but if you have relatives who have sought medical treatment, can you say that the bills are reasonable? My relatives would rather go to places like Ipoh for quality medical treatment at half the cost than do it in Singapore. I sometimes feel that being a foreigner PR in Singapore is no different from being a Singaporean and many PRs are laughing at us coz our govt is treating them almost on par as citizens. Just ask yourself how much better off are we compared to PR foreigners who can simply walk out of our country anytime after our country has lost its use to them. Our government is opening doors to any tom dick or harry into our country, just walk around and you can see it for yourself. How many of those foreign PRs you see around you are top grade people? We are getting remnants of those foreigners who are unable to make it to United States.

Regulator, I think we have wronged health minister lah. I think his pay is not that much as claimed by many.

Read from news report that his heart bypassed only costs him $8 only.

Not forgetting that he is the one pushing for mean imcome testing for medical bills payment. Since he pay only $8 for such an expensive operation, I think most Singaporeans can enjoy free medical service.

Not sure how it work out to $8 and if that is really true and everyone get to benefit from his effort, I think that's a excellent effort from him. He is my man. ;)

Regulators
26-03-11, 11:25
I have not wronged him in any way, just look at the cost of specialist consultations and all the treatment costs and you understand. How can a heart bypass surgery be $8 for all singaporeans? That is impossible. Such surgery cost tens of thousands. Kidney dialysis even at a subsidised rate costs thousands a month and for those having cancer, chemotherapy is two to three thousand dollars per session. Even if we can use medisave, it is still using our own money. I had an elderly relative that committed suicide, complaining before she died that medical expenses were too high in singapore. When she was alive, she had to pay 70-80 just to consult a doctor even though she was unable to work and draw an income. What has the government done for her, all medical expenses were paid by my other relatives. Mps pay themselves millions in salaries without sparing a thought for these people. our govt also keep telling people to work past retirement age but have they thought that some people have to use physical labour to earn that measly few hundred dollars a month and do not get to sit in comfortable offices like Nathan.

there is no way other singaporeans get to pay that little for such a major op.
Regulator, I think we have wronged health minister lah. I think his pay is not that much as claimed by many.

Read from news report that his heart bypassed only costs him $8 only.

Not forgetting that he is the one pushing for mean imcome testing for medical bills payment. Since he pay only $8 for such an expensive operation, I think most Singaporeans can enjoy free medical service.

Not sure how it work out to $8 and if that is really true and everyone get to benefit from his effort, I think that's a excellent effort from him. He is my man. ;)

westman
26-03-11, 12:35
I have not wronged him in any way, just look at the cost of specialist consultations and all the treatment costs and you understand. How can a heart bypass surgery be $8 for all singaporeans? That is impossible. Such surgery cost tens of thousands. Kidney dialysis even at a subsidised rate costs thousands a month and for those having cancer, chemotherapy is two to three thousand dollars per session. Even if we can use medisave, it is still using our own money. I had an elderly relative that committed suicide, complaining before she died that medical expenses were too high in singapore. When she was alive, she had to pay 70-80 just to consult a doctor even though she was unable to work and draw an income. What has the government done for her, all medical expenses were paid by my other relatives. Mps pay themselves millions in salaries without sparing a thought for these people. our govt also keep telling people to work past retirement age but have they thought that some people have to use physical labour to earn that measly few hundred dollars a month and do not get to sit in comfortable offices like Nathan. there is no way other singaporeans get to pay that little for such a major op.

Bro, check this out for the $8 bill.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Health/Story/A1Story20101027-244334.html

Regulators
26-03-11, 15:22
What if the elderly has no insurance at all?
Bro, check this out for the $8 bill.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Health/Story/A1Story20101027-244334.html

romeo
26-03-11, 16:39
is it just me or that almost every thread has become a hate thread for people to lash out at each other?!?

alamak, can we get into the discussion w/o hurling abuses at each other?

anyway, my heart goes out to the ah pek..

romeo
26-03-11, 16:48
i think its possible to achieve $8 for bypass.. but not possible for all sgporeans, definitely not possible for lower income group

$8 is becoz of his private medical insurance.. top class no less

but many poor blokes have no means to buy insurance..
n their job may not contribute to cpf, thus no medisave or medi shield..

i hate it when mps use themselves as unrealistic examples for the man on the street.. it just doesn't add up.. haiz:beats-me-man:

teddybear
26-03-11, 18:06
Westman, you have the following statement in your footnote:
以上言论不代表本人立场,如有雷同,纯属玩笑兼巧合。读了不爽,请多多包涵。

If the stuffs that you have posted is not your position or your opinion, May I know whose position and position then? If it is just really for fun, should I take your postings very lightly ?:D

westman
26-03-11, 19:57
Westman, you have the following statement in your footnote:
以上言论不代表本人立场,如有雷同,纯属玩笑兼巧合。读了不爽,请多多包涵。

If the stuffs that you have posted is not your position or your opinion, May I know whose position and position then? If it is just really for fun, should I take your postings very lightly ?:D

The signature is for fun, can bor? :spliff:

On national matter, we have to take it very seriously as the matter will affect our future generation. I can be nasty. :2cents:

BTW, if it make no sense to you. please skip my posts...;)

westman
26-03-11, 20:00
i think its possible to achieve $8 for bypass.. but not possible for all sgporeans, definitely not possible for lower income group

$8 is becoz of his private medical insurance.. top class no less

but many poor blokes have no means to buy insurance..
n their job may not contribute to cpf, thus no medisave or medi shield..

i hate it when mps use themselves as unrealistic examples for the man on the street.. it just doesn't add up.. haiz:beats-me-man:

Exactly!
The poor has difficulty to even feed themself and how do you expect them to buy insurance.

If this MP can use medishield alone and just pay $8 for bypass.
I will follow him to hell and do whatever thing he want me to do! I mean it.:2cents:

westman
26-03-11, 20:06
is it just me or that almost every thread has become a hate thread for people to lash out at each other?!?

alamak, can we get into the discussion w/o hurling abuses at each other?

anyway, my heart goes out to the ah pek..

I actually don't mind to work till 65 as proposed by garment. Stay at home also very boring. ;)

However, I am concern whether there is job for me expecially those low wages job has been taken away by foregin talents.

The ah-pek inccident is the early sympton of what to expect for our future. We have tumor growing now w and if we don't go for chemo now of soon, sure die!

devilplate
26-03-11, 20:59
To b fair, we dont noe the past n the personality of this ah pek....

So morale of the story.... Save for rainy days n buy some medical insurance

However, the poor is really getting poorer.... For eg. Cleaner wage stays almost the same for the past decade

romeo
27-03-11, 05:05
scary to know low income stagnant for the past decade n inflation shooting up like nobody business n rich get richer n richer..

in future, many of these 'ah peks' on the streets..:(

are the mps committed to closing the income gap? they seem to say one thing but do another leh.. they increase their own salary by leaps n bounds, so they are WIDENING the income gap themselves!!! -__-"
never walk the talk leh..

devilplate
27-03-11, 09:16
scary to know low income stagnant for the past decade n inflation shooting up like nobody business n rich get richer n richer..

in future, many of these 'ah peks' on the streets..:(

are the mps committed to closing the income gap? they seem to say one thing but do another leh.. they increase their own salary by leaps n bounds, so they are WIDENING the income gap themselves!!! -__-"
never walk the talk leh..

I tink smbody wana intro min wage rite.... But den they say cleaning coy may cut the head count instead..... Duno wor....

howgozit
27-03-11, 18:22
I actually don't mind to work till 65 as proposed by garment. Stay at home also very boring. ;)

However, I am concern whether there is job for me expecially those low wages job has been taken away by foregin talents.

The ah-pek inccident is the early sympton of what to expect for our future. We have tumor growing now w and if we don't go for chemo now of soon, sure die!

Bro, are you sure you have your facts right. It is Singaporeans who don't want the low wage jobs that foreign workers are taking over.

If you run a business especially food business, you'll know that it is very hard to hire Singaporean wait staff or cleaning staff. And labour law lesgislation does not allow you to hire all foreign workers. You need to fulfill a Singapore staff quota. Meeting this Singaporean staff requirement in the low wage segment is in fact very challenging.

I hope it is just that you are ignorant because most of what you are writing is more for stirring shit than having any substance.

Please learn more by mixing around and talking to real people and real issues. You are just criticising for the sake of criticising.

wenqing
27-03-11, 20:20
Bro, are you sure you have your facts right. It is Singaporeans who don't want the low wage jobs that foreign workers are taking over.

If you run a business especially food business, you'll know that it is very hard to hire Singaporean wait staff or cleaning staff. And labour law lesgislation does not allow you to hire all foreign workers. You need to fulfill a Singapore staff quota. Meeting this Singaporean staff requirement in the low wage segment is in fact very challenging.

I hope it is just that you are ignorant because most of what you are writing is more for stirring shit than having any substance.

Please learn more by mixing around and talking to real people and real issues. You are just criticising for the sake of criticising.

You are half right.

There is alot of white-collar jobs taken up by foreigners too from 3rd World nations.

Some are supervisory positions from India, China, SEA etc and they tend to recruit their own kind.

They are in IT, accountancy, law, medicine, executives etc.

We are not just importing foreigners for blue-collar jobs.

Most food courts these days I see are senior citizens Singaporeans clearing tables.

Most hawkers, MRT drivers and taxi drivers remain Singaporeans and that is alot of them.

Cannot say the same about Bus drivers.

Most rag-and-bone men who collects old newspapers remain Singaporeans.

Most mobile ice-cream sellers remains Singaporeans.

Not all Singaporeans shun blue collar jobs.