PDA

View Full Version : Landed troublesome?

TheIdler
14-05-11, 23:56
Is it true that landed property has all sorts of pests/ insects/ rodents/ stray animals problems and is difficult to maintain? What other minuses in living landed property?

mantrix
15-05-11, 02:17
Pests - depends on your fumigation and surroundings
Maintenance - depends on your architecture but you are largely responsible for everything within your piece of land (roof leaking, road outside porch cracking, vegetation dying, etc etc)
You need to pay for every facility (alarm system and maintenance, swimming pool and maintenance, lift and maintenance etc)

Many cons, but of cause, many pros as well...never ending lah. Different strokes for different folks.

hovivi
15-05-11, 10:19
Really depends on the surrounding.. Neighbors, nearby food centre, etc.. Most of the buildup areas should be ok.. My place is bedok for example is very clean and has fewer pest that out last condo

zzz1
15-05-11, 11:31
Is it true that landed property has all sorts of pests/ insects/ rodents/ stray animals problems and is difficult to maintain? What other minuses in living landed property?

Is part of the experience for a landed pty..

If you stay near the nature reserve, you get monkey come to steal your bread and fruits.

you get cat trying to settle in your home once u feed him once.

and most of the sour relationship with your neighbor is usually due to car park issue

DC33_2008
15-05-11, 12:04
It has happened to condo near nature reserve with snake coming out of toilet bowl. Probably got into the sewage system.
Is part of the experience for a landed pty..

If you stay near the nature reserve, you get monkey come to steal your bread and fruits.

you get cat trying to settle in your home once u feed him once.

and most of the sour relationship with your neighbor is usually due to car park issue

proud owner
15-05-11, 13:38
It has happened to condo near nature reserve with snake coming out of toilet bowl. Probably got into the sewage system.

i have lived in brand new condos and brand new landed ..

i dont have any issues with my landed but the condo scare the crap out of me ...

roaches crawlng out of the rubbsih chute considering its a new condo

neither are new makan places ... in fact the house is next to a nature reserve ... i have seen monkeys on the trees but thats about it .... havent heard any of the neighbours complaining

teddybear
15-05-11, 13:57
I have lived in new landed, old landed, old condo. Personally prefer high-floor condo after all these years. Too many problems with landed. The problem you have with new condo is definitely a low-floor unit. As a rule of thumb, never buy a condo unit below 15th floor if you want to go for condo and without all the problems with pests etc, also more cooling.

i dont have any issues with my landed but the condo scare the crap out of me ...

neither are new makan places ... in fact the house is next to a nature reserve ... i have seen monkeys on the trees but thats about it .... havent heard any of the neighbours complaining

proud owner
15-05-11, 14:02
I have lived in new landed, old landed, old condo. Personally prefer high-floor condo after all these years. Too many problems with landed. The problem you have with new condo is definitely a low-floor unit. As a rule of thumb, never buy a condo unit below 15th floor if you want to go for condo and without all the problems with pests etc, also more cooling.

you are wrong ..
the new condo was on 16th floor ..highest only 22 floors

proud owner
15-05-11, 14:03

anyway the only issue i have with my landed ...well only happened once .. a huge spider came in ...no idea from where ...when i saw it ... it was on its way out hahhaha

teddybear
15-05-11, 14:07
Ops - May be that is an exception and could be due to poor design or poor cleaning and maintenance of the condo. I have never heard of 15th floor and above having coachroaches problem except yours.

you are wrong ..
the new condo was on 16th floor ..highest only 22 floors

proud owner
15-05-11, 14:14
Ops - May be that is an exception and could be due to poor design or poor cleaning and maintenance of the condo. I have never heard of 15th floor and above having coachroaches problem except yours.

i tell you it was really scary

we had a plastic broom with those plastic, coloring bristles, we used it to sweep water . it was left in the yard toilet ...

when i saw the big roaches i used that broom to whack the bog ones..

guess what ?

they laid babies in the bristles and when the broom landed as it whacked it ... 100s of baby roaches came out

i tell you i sprayed at least 2 cans of Baygon that night ...

as i sprayed i lifted the floor mat ..and more underneath ...

its really strange cos we used that yard toilet everyday .. and the last time we used it was only the night before.. when we even washed the toilet etc

so they must have come in ..laid and eggs ...and all these happened within 24 hrs ..

devilplate
15-05-11, 14:14

Wif new techonology, no more roaches la....nowadays using suction chute liao....furthermore, some projects using common chute instead....which i prefer

teddybear
15-05-11, 14:18
That is real scary!
Such scary things usually more common in old landed. I have experienced snakes, scorpions, rats, all kinds of insects crawling into the house, flying into the house in landed. Well, I have not even talk about cockroaches, lizards, mosquitoes, flies which are a given in landed! :doh:

we had a plastic broom with those plastic, coloring bristles, we used it to sweep water . it was left in the yard toilet ...

guess what ?

they laid babies in the bristles and when the broom landed as it whacked it ... 100s of baby roaches came out

its really strange cos we used that yard toilet everyday .. and the last time we used it was only the night before.. when we even washed the toilet etc

so they must have come in ..laid and eggs ...and all these happened within 24 hrs ..

teddybear
15-05-11, 14:22
New technology also got problems: those suction chute will be super noisy? What happen when malfunction?
Common chute? Going backward in terms of conveniency and privacy? I still prefer the good old private chute with water-flushing system. :cheers1:

Wif new techonology, no more roaches la....nowadays using suction chute liao....furthermore, some projects using common chute instead....which i prefer

proud owner
15-05-11, 14:45
New technology also got problems: those suction chute will be super noisy? What happen when malfunction?
Common chute? Going backward in terms of conveniency and privacy? I still prefer the good old private chute with water-flushing system. :cheers1:

my biggest fear of landed is termites

when i constructed my house .. the land was treated ... to prevent termites .. i think it carries a guarantee of 10 yrs ...

any idea how the treatment works in prevent termites ?

devilplate
15-05-11, 15:08
Ya la...ur condo best of the best:tongue3:

teddybear
15-05-11, 15:59
Any condos >2 years old also mostly using private rubbish chute with water-flushing system. Why you new condo so lousy because don't have? Oh, I forgot your new ones still need to pay for 10% balcony space and another almost 10% air-con ledge & planters space? :scared-2:

Ya la...ur condo best of the best:tongue3:

devilplate
15-05-11, 16:05
Any condos >2 years old also mostly using private rubbish chute with water-flushing system. Why you new condo so lousy because don't have? Oh, I forgot your new ones still need to pay for 10% balcony space and another almost 10% air-con ledge & planters space? :scared-2:
Come to tink abt it, no projects wif suction chute TOP yet la

Duno le, u go n calculate 8woodleigh, waterbank, clift usable space lor....those r my newest...

DC33_2008
15-05-11, 16:15
Is vacuum chute from CDL project?

Duno le, u go n calculate 8woodleigh, waterbank, clift usable space lor....those r my newest...

kingkong1984
15-05-11, 16:19

Botannia sucks! Hahaha

wind30
15-05-11, 17:15

I think maintenance is really not a lot in terms of money.

My parents, my in laws and us stay in three different landed property in the north.

The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees. Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

As for pests/strays/rodents, etc.... I think it depends on the property itself.

My parents place the biggest pest is iguana but they only moved in for less than a year.

My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

I think probably termites is the biggest concern due to the damage they can cause.

proud owner
15-05-11, 17:36

My parents, my in laws and us stay in three different landed property in the north.

The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees. Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

My parents place the biggest pest is iguana but they only moved in for less than a year.

My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

I think probably termites is the biggest concern due to the damage they can cause.

i asked earlier but no replies

any idea how the termite treatment is done and how does it work ?

teddybear
15-05-11, 17:47
(1) Condo monthly maintenance fees usually have 20-40% going into sinking fund for future big ticket expenses, so they are not all spent, so can't compare this way vs landed monthly maintenance costs which are all expensed and usually people don't include big ticket items.

(2) Even just 1 snake can be deadly. Once every 10 years can mean 1 dead body every 10 years? Hope not but the real risk is there!
"there isn't even much mosquitoes" but even 1 mosquito carrying dengue can be deadly to the young and the old.

(3) Even 1 lizard can be a nuisance. A group flying insects also.
Termites even worse, some landed can't even get ride of them regardless of how many pest control experts have been called in, and you have no idea whether that landed will have or not.
On the other hand, condo in the sky you will never hear of termite problem (at least I have no heard or see any case before all my life so far), nor lizards (never seen before so far), nor group of flying insects, nor mosquitoes.

(1) The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees. Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

(2) My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

(3) I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

proud owner
15-05-11, 18:00
(1) Condo monthly maintenance fees usually have 20-40% going into sinking fund for future big ticket expenses, so they are not all spent, so can't compare this way vs landed monthly maintenance costs which are all expensed and usually people don't include big ticket items.

(2) Even just 1 snake can be deadly. Once every 10 years can mean 1 dead body every 10 years? Hope not but the real risk is there!
"there isn't even much mosquitoes" but even 1 mosquito carrying dengue can be deadly to the young and the old.

Termites even worse, some landed can't even get ride of them regardless of how many pest control experts have been called in, and you have no idea whether that landed will have or not.
On the other hand, condo in the sky you will never hear of termite problem (at least I have no heard or see any case before all my life so far), nor lizards (never seen before so far), nor group of flying insects, nor mosquitoes.

i know u mentioned before ... about being above 15th floor to be ideal

my friend staying at One North .. decently new ... 10th floor ...got mozzy and lizards leh...

all it takes is a married pair of lizrds ..to move from ground flr to 2nd floor ...mate and lay some eggs ...then their family upgrade from the 2nd fllor (now becomes ground flr) to 4th-5th floor ....and in no time ... they appear in 10th ...and 15th floor

there is no way you can stop them .. unless you shut all your windows and doors....even then there are gaps ...

these lizs are like us ... love condo viewings ... they will look for GEMS to upgrade ....

teddybear
15-05-11, 18:07
Funny :D :D :D
Nevertheless, 15th floor and above usually quite safe lah.

i know u mentioned before ... about being above 15th floor to be ideal

my friend staying at One North .. decently new ... 10th floor ...got mozzy and lizards leh...

all it takes is a married pair of lizrds ..to move from ground flr to 2nd floor ...mate and lay some eggs ...then their family upgrade from the 2nd fllor (now becomes ground flr) to 4th-5th floor ....and in no time ... they appear in 10th ...and 15th floor

there is no way you can stop them .. unless you shut all your windows and doors....even then there are gaps ...

these lizs are like us ... love condo viewings ... they will look for GEMS to upgrade ....

devilplate
15-05-11, 18:08
Landed nid maid ....unless u n ur wife become slave to ur hse:D

Bigger landed perhaps nid 2 maids instead

Same as car...some jus love to wash n upkeep their cars like 2nd wife....hehe....to me car shd be a slave for us....not the other way

devilplate
15-05-11, 18:12
Funny :D :D :D
Nevertheless, 15th floor and above usually quite safe lah.
Lizards can be found on 20+ storey....same as ants too.....mozzies lesser lor....

Those common pests no big deal la....i scare of hornet, snakes, centipede n scorpion though:ashamed1:

proud owner
15-05-11, 18:44
Lizards can be found on 20+ storey....same as ants too.....mozzies lesser lor....

Those common pests no big deal la....i scare of hornet, snakes, centipede n scorpion though:ashamed1:

hornets , snakes, scorpions and centipede are pretty rare ...

i understand your concern

i hate ANTS the most ....

thats one reason i like NY ...no ants ... the winter will kill them all ...

devilplate
15-05-11, 18:49
hornets , snakes, scorpions and centipede are pretty rare ...

i understand your concern

i hate ANTS the most ....

thats one reason i like NY ...no ants ... the winter will kill them all ...
Ya lor...weather is terrible in sg...humid, hot, rain:doh:

Boring aso....no winter....lol

proud owner
15-05-11, 18:53
Ya lor...weather is terrible in sg...humid, hot, rain:doh:

Boring aso....no winter....lol

actually ..if singapore weather is 20-25 deg ... it will be a very nice place to live ...

i tell you the weather does affect the mood...

imagine you are a bus driver or a taxi driver ..
when its cooling .. you also feel good

when its freaking hot ... and the passengers take a long time to board or get off the bus .. you get frustrated easily

i see drivers in NY ...getting off the bus to help passengers get on and off ... cool

wind30
15-05-11, 19:30

err.... snakes is not king cobra lah..... you EVER HEARD in singapore got people killed by snakes inside their homes???

My current place has ZERO mosquitoes. My in laws place have very little. Seriously, I have encountered more mosquitoes in my older condos/HDB. I think mosquitoes is an equal problem for both high rise and landed living. It all depends on you and your neighbours.

I included the big ticket items. My previous condo which is 13xx sq ft requries around $250 per month (which is pretty cheap). That is $3k a year and around $15k for 5 years.

Frankly, if the landed you are looking at is SMALL interterrace, the only EXTRA maintenance required for landed I can see is roofing repair, painting and pest control once every 5 years. And that will not cost $15k.

zzz1
15-05-11, 20:24

can't imagine that...what happy if during the mist of the process and you discover a snake below you butt..!

i think the shit ooz out from th emounth instead !!:D :D

proud owner
15-05-11, 20:47
can't imagine that...what happy if during the mist of the process and you discover a snake below you butt..!

i think the shit ooz out from th emounth instead !!:D :D

hahaha in the wee hours of the morning

sometimes i mistake mine as a one eyed snake :doh:

TheIdler
15-05-11, 20:50
I remembered in one condo we stayed at previously, mgt didnt inform us when they fumigated the bin chute so we didnt tape it n we came back to find TONNES of xiao qiangs exploring the flat. Clean-up was a Horror!!

The other condos had suction chute n they also flush with water so no "sightings of cockroaches". But have flying ants n normal ants.

If you brickwall your landed, will it reduce pests?

Those of u who live in penthouse units, any pest/ lizard cockroach rats etc? What r the "problems" of PH units?

proud owner
15-05-11, 20:53
I remembered in one condo we stayed at previously, mgt didnt inform us when they fumigated the bin chute so we didnt tape it n we came back to find TONNES of xiao qiangs exploring the flat. Clean-up was a Horror!!

The other condos had suction chute n they also flush with water so no "sightings of cockroaches". But have flying ants n normal ants.

If you brickwall your landed, will it reduce pests?

Those of u who live in penthouse units, any pest/ lizard cockroach rats etc? What r the "problems" of PH units?

the open terrace of PH can be really dusty ...
and regardless of height... one can always find lizards

DC33_2008
15-05-11, 21:42
It also depends where the place in Singapore. It is not just dust but sooty too.
the open terrace of PH can be really dusty ...
and regardless of height... one can always find lizards

land118
15-05-11, 22:00
Wow, suddenly so much talk about landed, good! Price will move up some more. :D

I have mentioned in other thread. For me, peace of mind, have pest control contractor once every 2 mths to check and do what is necessary- my main concern is termites as most of my furniture are wood. Pest control also does cockroaches, etc control. Yearly roof check if no problem. Monthly gardener. Others on a need to do basis. Well, even if it cost more than condo, that's my preference.

DC33_2008
15-05-11, 22:13
I do not have problem with termites. Just need painting once every five years.
Wow, suddenly so much talk about landed, good! Price will move up some more. :D

I have mentioned in other thread. For me, peace of mind, have pest control contractor once every 2 mths to check and do what is necessary- my main concern is termites as most of my furniture are wood. Pest control also does cockroaches, etc control. Yearly roof check if no problem. Monthly gardener. Others on a need to do basis. Well, even if it cost more than condo, that's my preference.

land118
15-05-11, 22:15
I do not have problem with termites. Just need painting once every five years.
Good for u! For me, just a piece of mind...,knowing my wood furniture as pest free...

proud owner
15-05-11, 23:23
i would like to ask those who are in favor of landed...

where in your opinion ... is a good location for landed living ...

kingkong1984
15-05-11, 23:44
Sentosa cove.

proud owner
16-05-11, 01:02
Sentosa cove.

sorry i forgot to state ... FH only

DC33_2008
16-05-11, 09:21
It has to be FH and in the central region with close proximity to mrt stn, schools, supermarket and eateries.
i would like to ask those who are in favor of landed...

where in your opinion ... is a good location for landed living ...

devilplate
16-05-11, 09:25
Goto state budget n land size.....hehe

Best surely nassim....:spliff2:

bullman
16-05-11, 10:14
Goto state budget n land size.....hehe

Best surely nassim....:spliff2:

Nassim GCB is definitely a class of its own. But how many can afford?

BTW, I am located behind Lucky Plaza. Its a 5 mins walk to Orchard Road.

devilplate
16-05-11, 10:22
Nassim GCB is definitely a class of its own. But how many can afford?

BTW, I am located behind Lucky Plaza. Its a 5 mins walk to Orchard Road.
U r oredi a class on ur own:scared-5:

R u related to pptyowner?

U surely look like playing monopoly:D

bullman
16-05-11, 10:27
U r oredi a class on ur own:scared-5:

R u related to pptyowner?

U surely look like playing monopoly:D

I grew up there and bought a IT there some years back after I got married. Back then, the land PSF there is about the same as D15 now. Its just getting really ridiculous now.

Not related to super rich pptyowner who owns 40+ ultra high end units. My units are mostly average units like KS, Coralis etc.

Isn't property investment = Monopoly? Trade in 4 green houses for a red hotel!

ysyap
16-05-11, 10:41
err.... snakes is not king cobra lah..... you EVER HEARD in singapore got people killed by snakes inside their homes???

Frankly, if the landed you are looking at is SMALL interterrace, the only EXTRA maintenance required for landed I can see is roofing repair, painting and pest control once every 5 years. And that will not cost $15k.Frankly, small interterrace don't give you the feel that you are staying in landed... very cramped... worse still neighbors are annoying. Furthermore, once contractor see u are staying in landed, they will raise the cost by 1.5 times. No joke... they are all in cahoot. Sickening. My parent's house just remove the internal false ceiling board to raise the ceiling at 2nd floor toilet (area not more than 10 sq meters, contractor charge them $2k. :doh: Removing false ceiling in HDB cost less than $500.

proud owner
16-05-11, 10:46
Frankly, small interterrace don't give you the feel that you are staying in landed... very cramped... worse still neighbors are annoying. Furthermore, once contractor see u are staying in landed, they will raise the cost by 1.5 times. No joke... they are all in cahoot. Sickening. My parent's house just remove the internal false ceiling board to raise the ceiling at 2nd floor toilet (area not more than 10 sq meters, contractor charge them $2k. :doh: Removing false ceiling in HDB cost less than $500.

aiya

the moment its not a HDB address .... the price is different ... same for condo ...not just landed ..

why painting a
3 bedroom in condo cost more than a 3 bedroom HDB of the same size ?

TheIdler
16-05-11, 11:15
6th ave area? But along main rd can be noisy...

Wat do u all tink of cluster hse? They hv mgt agt to take care, does dat mean it'll b fuss-free and pest-free?

proud owner
16-05-11, 11:19
6th ave area? But along main rd can be noisy...

Wat do u all tink of cluster hse? They hv mgt agt to take care, does dat mean it'll b fuss-free and pest-free?

i havent seen many clustered housing

i dont find them attractive or good value

becos they were created for foreigners who wants to stay landed but cannot buy landed ...

the land for each unit is usually very small ... smaller then inter terrace ..
and to make up for the small land ..they tend to build 4-5 storey with basement parking ..

i dont like it at all

devilplate
16-05-11, 11:25

becos they were created for foreigners who wants to stay landed but cannot buy landed ...

and to make up for the small land ..they tend to build 4-5 storey with basement parking ..

i dont like it at all
Hf seen decent sized floorplate for clustered housing like verdana villas:cheers6:

I hesitate for a while...den my unit gone liao:doh: :banghead:

ysyap
16-05-11, 11:28

i dont like it at allThe fun part is when you are at your car rushing to work, then you forgot to take something from the room in the 5th storey.. you won't want to go back le.. The most sickening thing about cluster housing is the tell you your land area is 4000sq so you guai guai pay $800 psf then realise 800 sq is on staircase. Only use for staircase is for you to work out... :doh:

ysyap
16-05-11, 11:29
Hf seen decent sized floorplate for clustered housing like verdana villas:cheers6:

I hesitate for a while...den my unit gone liao:doh: :banghead:Verdana Villa really gives you the nice resort feel... one of the better cluster house but the psf is just too high... I can get cheaper options just 3 streets away... Just my opinion... :D

proud owner
16-05-11, 11:34
The fun part is when you are at your car rushing to work, then you forgot to take something from the room in the 5th storey.. you won't want to go back le.. The most sickening thing about cluster housing is the tell you your land area is 4000sq so you guai guai pay $800 psf then realise 800 sq is on staircase. Only use for staircase is for you to work out... :doh:

and the basement parking tend to be dark ... and hot ..

not to mention the rooms on the 3rd, 4th, 5th floor are hot ... and gets hotter as you go higher ... the heat gets channelled up as the unit is narrow ...

ysyap
16-05-11, 11:37
and the basement parking tend to be dark ... and hot ..

not to mention the rooms on the 3rd, 4th, 5th floor are hot ... and gets hotter as you go higher ... the heat gets channelled up as the unit is narrow ...Hot air rises!!! Its Physics... anyway, I'd prefer to have the top floor room as laundry room coz the balcony can hang clothes.... no where else in the house can accommodate wet clothes... :). If put clothes out at living room patio, quite unsightly... :D

devilplate
16-05-11, 11:38
Verdana Villa really gives you the nice resort feel... one of the better cluster house but the psf is just too high... I can get cheaper options just 3 streets away... Just my opinion... :D
The one i eyeing abt 630psf on built up....tat time in oct09 looks expensive definitely....now dirt cheap liao? Hehe

ysyap
16-05-11, 11:48
The one i eyeing abt 630psf on built up....tat time in oct09 looks expensive definitely....now dirt cheap liao? HeheGone are the days when cluster houses are 300+ psf... its just like as recent as 3 years back.. :banghead:. Should have bought then... missed the boat le... hahaha!!! Now at $700 psf, it just don't make sense to pay those staircases at that price... :scared-3:

wind30
16-05-11, 11:56
Frankly, small interterrace don't give you the feel that you are staying in landed... very cramped... worse still neighbors are annoying. Furthermore, once contractor see u are staying in landed, they will raise the cost by 1.5 times. No joke... they are all in cahoot. Sickening. My parent's house just remove the internal false ceiling board to raise the ceiling at 2nd floor toilet (area not more than 10 sq meters, contractor charge them $2k. :doh: Removing false ceiling in HDB cost less than $500.

It all depends on the contractor you use. I have my own contractor who I have worked with twice (once 5 years back with my first home and second timer recently) She gives me reasonable rates as I have referred quite a few customers to her, ie colleagues, relatives who came to my place and asked for her contact.

Last month, I ask her to make a coffee table based on a design I see in Space, she made it as a gift for me.

Of course, if your reason for staying in landed is the big garden, open spaces, etc, then small inter-terrace is not for you.

My main aim is just to get more living space. Seriously, for the SAME price, I think I can only get HALF the living space if I went Condo. With double the living space, I can do a lot of things like a dedicated TV room, guest room, Home theatre room, laundry drying space, etc.

proud owner
16-05-11, 12:00
It all depends on the contractor you use. I have my own contractor who I have worked with twice (once 5 years back with my first home and second timer recently) She gives me reasonable rates as I have referred quite a few customers to her, ie colleagues, relatives who came to my place and asked for her contact.

Last month, I ask her to make a coffee table based on a design I see in Space, she made it as a gift for me.

Of course, if your reason for staying in landed is the big garden, open spaces, etc, then small inter-terrace is not for you.

My main aim is just to get more living space. Seriously, for the SAME price, I think I can only get HALF the living space if I went Condo. With double the living space, I can do a lot of things like a dedicated TV room, guest room, Home theatre room, laundry drying space, etc.

true

i find it strange that there are people who would buy a semi D of land 2500 sqft ...

its not much bigger than a inter ... in fact some corner terrace are 3600 sqft land

semi d has to be at least 3600 sqft land to be 'far away' enuff from your neighbor ...

those 2500 sqft semis ... they open the side and build nice outdoor dinning .. only to have their neighbour's onning channelling the rain water onto their side ..

silly

devilplate
16-05-11, 12:02

But brandnew terrace hse cost 1kpsf built up even in d16 for eg...:doh:

chiaberry
16-05-11, 14:28
I have considered buying 2 units of condo in the same development (eyeing another unit on the same floor). Current unit is 1860 sq ft 3+1. Cost of renovation is ard 200K (inclusive of furnishings). If I buy another unit of around 1600 sq ft, will have more than 3000 sq ft (6 +1 all bedrooms are big and can accomodate queen size or two single beds). Even if it costs another 200K for reno and furnishing, will still be much less than A&A for an inter-terrace. And no wasted space due to the staircase. Somemore, can down-size to one unit and rent out the other unit when the kids are grown up and married. Security is great (24 hours and all security guards are permanently stationed there and know all the cars/people by sight). Bus stop is just outside the condo and kids can get back home safely without having to walk down long dark roads at night.

I cannot envisage climbing up and down the stairs when old (lookiing at my parents and parents-in-law struggling one step at a time and these were folks who kept very fit - playing sports/swimming/fold dancing for most of their life).

A&A for inter-terrace to me is :eek: Total headache because contractors and sub-contractors cannot be trusted.

New landed property is not affordable to me. Don't want to slog for the rest of my life to pay the housing loan.

ysyap
16-05-11, 14:35
I have considered buying 2 units of condo in the same development (eyeing another unit on the same floor). Current unit is 1860 sq ft 3+1. Cost of renovation is ard 200K (inclusive of furnishings). If I buy another unit of around 1600 sq ft, will have more than 3000 sq ft (6 +1 all bedrooms are big and can accomodate queen size or two twin beds). Even if it costs another 200K for reno and furnishing, will still be much less than A&A for an inter-terrace. And no wasted space due to the staircase. Somemore, can down-size to one unit and rent out the other unit when the kids are grown up and married.

I cannot envisage climbing up and down the stairs when old (lookiing at my parents and parents-in-law struggling one step at a time and these were folks who kept very fit - playing sports/swimming/fold dancing for most of their life).

A&A for inter-terrace to me is :eek: Total headache because contractors and sub-contractors cannot be trusted.

New landed property is not affordable to me. Don't want to slog for the rest of my life to pay the housing loan.Can go for clovers by the park or minton penthouses where the floor area is like 3000 sqft. Then if want to downgrade when kids are grown up, just sell both and move... 99 yr LH cannot keep too long anyway. Must let go before 10 years old.

And yes staying in landed is a hassle unless you are accustomed to it... watching TV in 1st floor then feel very tired so switch off TV and when reach bedroom in 2nd floor, fully awake again... :doh:

chiaberry
16-05-11, 14:41
Can go for clovers by the park or minton penthouses where the floor area is like 3000 sqft. Then if want to downgrade when kids are grown up, just sell both and move... 99 yr LH cannot keep too long anyway. Must let go before 10 years old.

And yes staying in landed is a hassle unless you are accustomed to it... watching TV in 1st floor then feel very tired so switch off TV and when reach bedroom in 2nd floor, fully awake again... :doh:

Nope. I am a freehold person. Not keen on 99 LH. :eek: Also not keen on 2 level PH. Hoping I can snag another unit on the same floor. 2 units more versatile for me. Don't have to move when down-grading. Just sell off one.

devilplate
16-05-11, 14:44
Nope. I am a freehold person. Not keen on 99 LH. :eek: Also not keen on 2 level PH. Hoping I can snag another unit on the same floor. 2 units more versatile for me. Don't have to move when down-grading. Just sell off one.
Did u change all internal pipes n wiring? A/c concealed trunking all hacked n replaced wif new?

ysyap
16-05-11, 14:47
Did u change all internal pipes n wiring? A/c concealed trunking all hacked n replaced wif new?Very important... also must hack kitchen floor and do water proofing again if condo is more than 10 years old unless you stay on ground floor otherwise downstairs people will give u problem when there's leaking.. then u have to not only change your kitchen floor but also repair the damage to the ceiling downstairs... I kanna big time when I bought a 15 year old FH condo few years back... :doh:

devilplate
16-05-11, 14:51
Very important... also must hack kitchen floor and do water proofing again if condo is more than 10 years old unless you stay on ground floor otherwise downstairs people will give u problem when there's leaking.. then u have to not only change your kitchen floor but also repair the damage to the ceiling downstairs... I kanna big time when I bought a 15 year old FH condo few years back... :doh:
Kitchen flr nid ar? I only redo waterproofing for bathrooms wor....

chiaberry
16-05-11, 14:51
Did u change all internal pipes n wiring? A/c concealed trunking all hacked n replaced wif new?

YES. ALL hacked and changed. Only thing not changed is original parquet floor for the bedrooms.

Have lived in landed previously (next to greenery). Wanted a change from the mosquito screens, monkeys tearing open the dustbins and lizards sharing my dinner.

chiaberry
16-05-11, 14:57
Kitchen flr nid ar? I only redo waterproofing for bathrooms wor....

I hacked everything to the bare ground and redoing waterproofing for kitchen/yard/balcony and all bathrooms.

Hence the high cost of the renovations.

ysyap
16-05-11, 14:57
Kitchen flr nid ar? I only redo waterproofing for bathrooms wor....Must do kitchen coz there's also water activities in sink areas, etc... anyway my downstairs unit was leaking from the kitchen ceiling and it was traced to my kitchen toilet so the entire path stretching from toilet to kitchen all hacked... do it once do it swift... otherwise no stop to the complaints... was quite sick of it...

ysyap
16-05-11, 14:59
YES. ALL hacked and changed. Only thing not changed is original parquet floor for the bedrooms.

Have lived in landed previously (next to greenery). Wanted a change from the mosquito screens, monkeys tearing open the dustbins and lizards sharing my dinner.I was struggling betw condo or landed and decided condo coz the A&A just don't make sense... maybe next time... :D

tericia
16-05-11, 15:09

guess what ?

i stay near and face a park. First time i have a greenery and park view and i must say i really like it.

Still, early every morning at 6am when it's dark, a swamp of bees will fly around the lamp just outside and once i on the lights in my house, they will all fly towards my window. I'm one of those like to on aircon so window shut but bees all at the window is quite scary.

Sometimes 1 or 2 will get in but most times they are just outside. Once about 645am when the sun comes out, they all fly away. My neighbour also say at night must close window.

chiaberry
16-05-11, 15:09
I was struggling betw condo or landed and decided condo coz the A&A just don't make sense... maybe next time... :D

Agree. I also thought the A&A was not worth it. I am not so rich as some forum members here. :D

ysyap
16-05-11, 15:44
i stay near and face a park. First time i have a greenery and park view and i must say i really like it.

Still, early every morning at 6am when it's dark, a swamp of bees will fly around the lamp just outside and once i on the lights in my house, they will all fly towards my window. I'm one of those like to on aircon so window shut but bees all at the window is quite scary.

Sometimes 1 or 2 will get in but most times they are just outside. Once about 645am when the sun comes out, they all fly away. My neighbour also say at night must close window.My parents' landed also kanna bee problem... A bee hive actually was found in my parent's home letter box... really scary... used fire to burn the hive and after 1 wk, came back again... really a big headache! :doh:

ysyap
16-05-11, 15:46
Agree. I also thought the A&A was not worth it. I am not so rich as some forum members here. :DA&A for a 1700 sqft land area for a double storey interterrace can cost easily $400k to $600k... take that money to buy another condo even better... hahaha!!! unless buy new landed like Luxus Hill in 2009??? Now miss the boat liao coz prices there have escalated like there's no tomorrow le... :D

DC33_2008
16-05-11, 15:49
Why put two eggs in the same basket? What if after putting $400k into the renovation of two units and then enbloc? Landed has less chance of enbloc.

DC33_2008
16-05-11, 15:50
Can just get NEA people to do it? Bee is good is good for pollination.
My parents' landed also kanna bee problem... A bee hive actually was found in my parent's home letter box... really scary... used fire to burn the hive and after 1 wk, came back again... really a big headache! :doh:

ysyap
16-05-11, 15:56
Can just get NEA people to do it? Bee is good is good for pollination.Think they charge... plus my dad is a very hands on person so prefer to diy...:spliff2:

bullman
16-05-11, 15:59
I have considered buying 2 units of condo in the same development (eyeing another unit on the same floor). Current unit is 1860 sq ft 3+1. Cost of renovation is ard 200K (inclusive of furnishings). If I buy another unit of around 1600 sq ft, will have more than 3000 sq ft (6 +1 all bedrooms are big and can accomodate queen size or two single beds). Even if it costs another 200K for reno and furnishing, will still be much less than A&A for an inter-terrace. And no wasted space due to the staircase. Somemore, can down-size to one unit and rent out the other unit when the kids are grown up and married. Security is great (24 hours and all security guards are permanently stationed there and know all the cars/people by sight). Bus stop is just outside the condo and kids can get back home safely without having to walk down long dark roads at night.

New landed property is not affordable to me. Don't want to slog for the rest of my life to pay the housing loan.

Actually, nowadays when people recon to 3 or 3.5 storeys, most will build a lift. Those transparent lift shaft can serve also as a skytrap. A decent lift cost 60-80k and the power usage is just slightly more than a double condenser unit.

chiaberry
16-05-11, 16:01
Why put two eggs in the same basket? What if after putting $400k into the renovation of two units and then enbloc? Landed has less chance of enbloc.

Yep. There is that uncertainty. I will wait and see. If an MRT station isn't announced to be built nearby then the chances of en bloc will be considerably lower. However, it is in the "danger zone" to be quite near a new MRT station (if not right next door, then within one, two or three bus stops distance).

chiaberry
16-05-11, 16:04
A&A for a 1700 sqft land area for a double storey interterrace can cost easily $400k to $600k... take that money to buy another condo even better... hahaha!!! unless buy new landed like Luxus Hill in 2009??? Now miss the boat liao coz prices there have escalated like there's no tomorrow le... :D

I don't want to live in OCR. Prefer to stay in RCR location.

Need to save up heavily in CASH for A&A. Or sell one of my other condos. Wait till I finish paying the housing loans first. Then maybe I consider the A&A. But by then I will be at retirement age. Will need the transparent lift shaft liao. LOL.

ysyap
16-05-11, 16:06
Well landed or condo is a very personal issue... not all will like landed and vice versa... Its however true that staying in landed requires that bit more cash for reno and everything else... The idea of a lift in a 3 storey landed is quite silly if its interterrace... not feasible.... only workable in GCB or semi-D. Then again its a huge amount of space wasted for that added facility... if old and don't want to climb, just stay in 1st floor and do up that room nice nice lor... hahaha!!! :spliff:

bullman
16-05-11, 16:20
Well landed or condo is a very personal issue... not all will like landed and vice versa... Its however true that staying in landed requires that bit more cash for reno and everything else... The idea of a lift in a 3 storey landed is quite silly if its interterrace... not feasible.... only workable in GCB or semi-D. Then again its a huge amount of space wasted for that added facility... if old and don't want to climb, just stay in 1st floor and do up that room nice nice lor... hahaha!!! :spliff:

FYI, you don't need a lift for GCB as its restricted to 2 storeys. A typical lift shaft in a IT nowadays is only 2m by 2m or 2.5m by 2.5m.

Maybe I do not get your point, but why will having a lift make sense in a 3 storey SD but not in a 3 storey IT?

wind30
16-05-11, 16:20
I did not do A&A when I bought my place in 2009. Just get a relatively newer unit lor....

sh
16-05-11, 16:23
the advantage of landed is that you can build your own house to your own specifications. Can't do that with a condo....

chiaberry
16-05-11, 16:31
I did not do A&A when I bought my place in 2009. Just get a relatively newer unit lor....

You were lucky then. These days, there is hardly any landed prop in decent condition in decent location to be bought for a reasonable px. Those I saw need A&A or even if newly renovated, the standard or the renovation really CMI at all and you still might have to take it all down and redo because the quality is just so obviously bad. The owner probably had a cowboy contractor to do it up for cheap and trying to make a fast buck on the resale.

ysyap
16-05-11, 16:45
FYI, you don't need a lift for GCB as its restricted to 2 storeys. A typical lift shaft in a IT nowadays is only 2m by 2m or 2.5m by 2.5m.

Maybe I do not get your point, but why will having a lift make sense in a 3 storey SD but not in a 3 storey IT?A 3 storey IT is already very cramped.. like land area less than 2000sqft. A SD can have 3000sqft so slightly bigger for a lift lor.. A IT can only access from front and back so where can the lift be? Have never seen an IT with lift... But I may be wrong... hahaha!!! A GCB may be only 2 storey but I've seen some owners just like to have lift... have seen it before... :D

DC33_2008
16-05-11, 16:48
I really enjoyed the whole process. You can control the design and quality and not like those that you buy directly from the developer. I saw some of them deteriorate so fast after just after one year.
the advantage of landed is that you can build your own house to your own specifications. Can't do that with a condo....

yaozong7
16-05-11, 18:31
Termites are by far the biggest concern for landed. Dont use parquet flooring if you want to avoid the problem. Alternatively, the pest control contractor will inject some pesticide fluid that can last for 4 years.

Then, you need to get the contractor to check the property every 2 years and inject pesticide if required. There's supposedly a type of hard wood that termites wont eat 1. You can use that for your parquet flooring. Also, avoid putting paper bags on parquet flooring as termites like to eat paper a lot.

Mosquitoes and ants everywhere also got lah, not just landed. I dont think it's really v v bad in landed compared to high-rise.

In general, the location of your landed will determine if you will see monkeys, snakes etc. The more urbanised areas like Novena etc should be quite safe, but very ex ar..........

teddybear
16-05-11, 18:54
Your high rise means how high? I have never ever seen a single mosquito in my high-rise unit. Even ants also difficult to find. :cheers1:

Termites are by far the biggest concern for landed. Dont use parquet flooring if you want to avoid the problem. Alternatively, the pest control contractor will inject some pesticide fluid that can last for 4 years.

Then, you need to get the contractor to check the property every 2 years and inject pesticide if required. There's supposedly a type of hard wood that termites wont eat 1. You can use that for your parquet flooring. Also, avoid putting paper bags on parquet flooring as termites like to eat paper a lot.

Mosquitoes and ants everywhere also got lah, not just landed. I dont think it's really v v bad in landed compared to high-rise.

In general, the location of your landed will determine if you will see monkeys, snakes etc. The more urbanised areas like Novena etc should be quite safe, but very ex ar..........

bryann
16-05-11, 19:58
I spent 4 years in a landed place and lived in a low-floor condo and a high-floor condo. The high-floor condo hardly had any pests; no roaches, no mozzies, no ants, no wasps and no cicaks.

Now I'm in a low floor, I get plenty of creepie-crawlies, although luckily my cickcak sentries are depleting stocks nicely :)

Our landed place was something else entirely. It was like a veritable zoo. We got regular fauna guests in the form of huge spiders, roaches galore, snakes, rats, wasps, centipedes, ants with stingers, you name it. One day we even had a bat flying around the room that couldn't find its way out.

So, yeah, landed can get a bit of a wilderness, unless you manicure the lawn and trim the hedges.

Still, never a dull moment eh :)

wind30
16-05-11, 20:03
Your high rise means how high? I have never ever seen a single mosquito in my high-rise unit. Even ants also difficult to find. :cheers1:

yours don't have does not mean other high rise also don't have.

I think no matter how high, mosquitoes can reach. It is just a matter of you and your neighbours.

I think there are two kind of landed. One that is near the forest, the other kind which is no near the forest....

Frankly, the most exciting thing me and my baby girl has seen in the 1 over years is a snail.

teddybear
16-05-11, 20:21
Mosquitoes in high-rise is an exception.
Mosquitoes in landed is for sure, just more or less.
My landed is surrounded by residential estates but mosquitoes, house flies, night flies, roaches, lizards, ants, spiders, etc are the norm. Occasional are the scorpions, rats, bees, & many unknown insects.

yours don't have does not mean other high rise also don't have.

I think no matter how high, mosquitoes can reach. It is just a matter of you and your neighbours.

I think there are two kind of landed. One that is near the forest, the other kind which is no near the forest....

Frankly, the most exciting thing me and my baby girl has seen in the 1 over years is a snail.

wind30
16-05-11, 20:37
Mosquitoes in high-rise is an exception.
Mosquitoes in landed is for sure, just more or less.
My landed is surrounded by residential estates but mosquitoes, house flies, night flies, roaches, lizards, ants, spiders, etc are the norm. Occasional are the scorpions, rats, bees, & many unknown insects.

....Why you so sure landed has mosquitoes? My place don't have mosquitoes leh.... Mosquitoes is easy to tell because you get bitten. My family haven't got bitten yet in our home leh...

We stay in lentor :) same estate as our health minister.

Lizard sometimes have. We just saw a big lizard the other night... Ants also have but in the garden, car porch only. we don't see them in the house, probably because we don't cook or eat at home.

TheIdler
16-05-11, 21:06

I considered buying two units but how does it work? Do u knock a wall to allow passage from one house to the other? That also means u hv to patch back when u want to sell? And the house will have two entrances and kitchens?

kingkong1984
16-05-11, 21:13
I considered buying two units but how does it work? Do u knock a wall to allow passage from one house to the other? That also means u hv to patch back when u want to sell? And the house will have two entrances and kitchens?
Yes, patch back. It's basically two adjoining units with the common living wall removed. Unless u want to sell the two units as one, harder to find buyers.

teddybear
16-05-11, 21:54
Common sense for equatorial in Singapore. No mosquitoes in landed is an exception rather than the norm.
Talk of no mosquitoes in landed, well, there are stories that said some properties are, well, you know, got some problem (if you don't know you can ask again, eerie!) because it just can't be normal unless you put those nets to keep the mosquitoes out. :scared-1:

....Why you so sure landed has mosquitoes? My place don't have mosquitoes leh.... Mosquitoes is easy to tell because you get bitten. My family haven't got bitten yet in our home leh...

Lizard sometimes have. We just saw a big lizard the other night... Ants also have but in the garden, car porch only. we don't see them in the house, probably because we don't cook or eat at home.

devilplate
16-05-11, 22:04
Also depends on season n climate....recently getting more mozzies:mad:

TheIdler
16-05-11, 22:08
Yes, patch back. It's basically two adjoining units with the common living wall removed. Unless u want to sell the two units as one, harder to find buyers.

But common living wall can just knock? And will patching back cost a lot?

devilplate
16-05-11, 22:11

Probably nid me to go n test it out....if i dun get bitten....means clear...haha

land118
16-05-11, 22:13
Probably nid me to go n test it out....if i dun get bitten....means clear...haha
Actually, some people for some reason attract more mozzies than others, blood sweeter?:D

devilplate
16-05-11, 22:19
Actually, some people for some reason attract more mozzies than others, blood sweeter?:D
Whole bunk abt 5-6 pax, only me got bitten smtimes:banghead:

teddybear
16-05-11, 22:25
If you didn't get bitten, oh god! I will be real scared of such landed property!
1 type of landed property to avoid is that at night there are no mosquitoes, ZERO! How can it be normal in Equatorial country like Singapore? When it is not normal, then it makes sense. :scared-1:

chiaberry
16-05-11, 22:44

Probably bec of health minister staying there, they are fogging the place more often than average.

land118
16-05-11, 22:45

Maybe u are on "heat", :D

Read the link below, what attracts mozzies:

http://www.allmosquitos.com/what-attracts-mosquitos/what-attracts-mosquitoes.html

chiaberry
16-05-11, 22:47

Do you have blood group A? Usually mozzies like those with blood group A better than blood group O. They are in the minority since most ppl are blood group O. Apparently they also prefer those with high cholesterol (more yummy :cheers2:)

wind30
16-05-11, 23:00
The reason I got landed is I can get this

http://www.keehian.com/deco/dp_01.jpg

and this
http://www.keehian.com/deco/dp_13.jpg

If I get a condo, no space for all the above....

chiaberry
16-05-11, 23:22
But common living wall can just knock? And will patching back cost a lot?

You would need to check with the Management agents. And also look at the floor plan. Not all walls can be hacked. Some are structural walls.

If you think abt it, the idea is not bad. You can get a 6 bedroom place all on one level. 2nd living room can be the home theatre.

Housekeeping is easier with no stairs. Safer for the kids and the old folks with no stairs.

chiaberry
16-05-11, 23:29

and this

Your house is very nice but the housekeeping is :scared-1: (from a woman's point of view). And Lentor location is too remote for me. When I travel/on holiday, I am not happy for my girl to walk in from the bus stop safely after dark.

land118
16-05-11, 23:36

and this

Very well kept, neat and clean....look like no food for pest to survive....

wind30
16-05-11, 23:48
Your house is very nice but the housekeeping is :scared-1: (from a woman's point of view). And Lentor location is too remote for me. When I travel/on holiday, I am not happy for my girl to walk in from the bus stop safely after dark.

The thing about Lentor estate is that it is near the main road and there is NO AMENITIES whatsoever. no coffee shop, no dormitories, no nothing. So there really isn't any funny people loitering around.

Anyway, I don't expect my girl to come home late at night anyway. At least not for the next 6 years since she is 2 this year. But I think before 8pm is perfectly safe as there a plenty of joggers/walkers around the estate.

devilplate
16-05-11, 23:50
Do you have blood group A? Usually mozzies like those with blood group A better than blood group O. They are in the minority since most ppl are blood group O. Apparently they also prefer those with high cholesterol (more yummy :cheers2:)
Vy gd joke...haha

But i suspect its due to my perspiration n body temp

TheIdler
16-05-11, 23:54

and this

Wow! I like your interior design

devilplate
16-05-11, 23:55
The thing about Lentor estate is that it is near the main road and there is NO AMENITIES whatsoever. no coffee shop, no dormitories, no nothing. So there really isn't any funny people loitering around.

Anyway, I don't expect my girl to come home late at night anyway. At least not for the next 6 years since she is 2 this year. But I think before 8pm is perfectly safe as there a plenty of joggers/walkers around the estate.
Ur tv looks damn big in the 1st pic:scared-1:

How many inches?

wind30
16-05-11, 23:59
Ur tv looks damn big in the 1st pic:scared-1:

How many inches?

That is a projector screen not TV lah. 120 inches diagonal.

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 00:00
Is it a FH or LH site?

devilplate
17-05-11, 00:03
That is a projector screen not TV lah. 120 inches diagonal.
Haha..ok

Ur living hall high ceiling...nice leh....

chiaberry
17-05-11, 00:07

Yours is near the main road? I thought some of the houses are quite far in and need a fair amount of walking. My girl is scared to walk in from the bus stop after dark since she read abt kidnappings. And I don't want to be her constant chauffeur.

wind30
17-05-11, 00:18
Yours is near the main road? I thought some of the houses are quite far in and need a fair amount of walking. My girl is scared to walk in from the bus stop after dark since she read abt kidnappings. And I don't want to be her constant chauffeur.

my place is around 200m from the main road. What kidnappings? I think it all depends on the timing. Before 8pm there is usually quite a lot of people walking/jogging around the estate.

I also don't want to drive my kid around all the time so that is why I chose a place which is accessible to public transport. It is 1km to YCK MRT. I walked to/from the MRT and it takes around 13mins.

wind30
17-05-11, 00:20
Is it a FH or LH site?

Lentor estate is all FH.

zzz1
17-05-11, 06:01
hahaha in the wee hours of the morning

sometimes i mistake mine as a one eyed snake :doh::

my goodness ...:D :D

zzz1
17-05-11, 06:08

another issue to watch out is the water slippage, for those area near the hill foot, where the water table is hight. Had bad experience where the water seep out from the floor and the wall joint...

having said that...it part and parcel of the experience...there alway pro and cons.

kingkong1984
17-05-11, 06:23
U need to cut the grass and sweep the leaves. The real issue with landed is security. Better lock up when not around as nobody in the neighborhood cares. Extra cost for installing alarms.

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 09:17
I know someone who stays really inside lentor estate with a nice swimming pool. It is anice place but carparking is an issue along the road.
my place is around 200m from the main road. What kidnappings? I think it all depends on the timing. Before 8pm there is usually quite a lot of people walking/jogging around the estate.

I also don't want to drive my kid around all the time so that is why I chose a place which is accessible to public transport. It is 1km to YCK MRT. I walked to/from the MRT and it takes around 13mins.

devilplate
17-05-11, 09:23
I know someone who stays really inside lentor estate with a nice swimming pool. It is anice place but carparking is an issue along the road.
Which landed area got huge lanes tat can allow 3cars to drive thru and not refering to main road...

Cars double park on one side and yet 2cars can drive thru simultaneously....

Bcoz i been hearing u guys complaining narrow roads...but i dun seem to find any wide lanes....

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 09:29
Try Belmont Road. All of them park inside the house. Have a rich relative who can park 10 cars side by side in the house.
Which landed area got huge lanes tat can allow 3cars to drive thru and not refering to main road...

Bcoz i been hearing u guys complaining narrow roads...but i dun seem to find any wide lanes....

devilplate
17-05-11, 09:31
Try Belmont Road. All of them park inside the house. Have a rich relative who can park 10 cars side by side in the house.
Er...i m more keen to noe which landed area got wide lanes of 3car width:D

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 09:38
Try houses near seletar estate at seletar road. They have really wide roads (4 lanes) as you drive into it.
Er...i m more keen to noe which landed area got wide lanes of 3car width:D

Santro
17-05-11, 10:05
Very interesting discussion!! I am also lost thinking between landed and condo.
Landed is more for people who have time and money to ensure that their house continues to be in good shape as maintenance is key.
Condo is for people with young children looking for convenience and more family time than bothering about home maintenance.

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 10:12
You are right especially those with green fingers. Good past-time.
Very interesting discussion!! I am also lost thinking between landed and condo.
Landed is more for people who have time and money to ensure that their house continues to be in good shape as maintenance is key.
Condo is for people with young children looking for convenience and more family time than bothering about home maintenance.

wind30
17-05-11, 10:24

swimming pool... I jog around fairly often I don't think I ever seen one with swimming pool. mmm... maybe one of the corner units in florissa park facing the forest. Those units are really huge.

DC33_2008
17-05-11, 10:26
It is at the dead end and quite unique design detached house (I think?).
swimming pool... I jog around fairly often I don't think I ever seen one with swimming pool. mmm... maybe one of the corner units in florissa park facing the forest. Those units are really huge.

wind30
17-05-11, 10:33

Lentor area is not bad already. You can park on BOTH sides and allow one car to pass through so it is 3 cars width (barely). But it is hard for 2 moving cars to pass each other with one parked car.

I see many estates less than 3 cars width so you can only park on ONE side of the road.

Some estates in Lentor like countryside also have a side road with NO HOUSES along the road (highlighted purple below), so it is like free parking lots. I see a lot of people come and park along that road to walk to YCK MRT. Those units near there have almost no parking problem. That is impt as a lot of quarrels all started because of parking spaces.

You don't see such free parking roads in many estates. Most developers will just terminate the road with a dead end and build a couple of more units there.

http://www.keehian.com/temp/country.jpg

ysyap
17-05-11, 15:41
Er...i m more keen to noe which landed area got wide lanes of 3car width:DJln Lokam has 4 cars width...:p

devilplate
17-05-11, 16:41
Jln Lokam has 4 cars width...:p
Will take note n recce :D

ysyap
17-05-11, 18:04
Will take note n recce :DIf you are interested in landed, this place is slightly upslope so taking the inside unit is better... think there's currently a unit for sale marketed by ECG or something... saw a huge banner there just over the weekend... but I think it is not along Lokam... its inside so the road might be smaller than 4 car width... viewed a unit there last year but its too close to the main road so a bit noisy so didn't buy... :scared-4:

mantrix
17-05-11, 20:05
landed too ex nowadays..BUT i dun think their prices will correct unless the correction applies to entire private market...

chiaberry
17-05-11, 20:24
One of the factors to take into consideration is your age and family status. When I was younger and without kids, we lived in a landed and I was happy to do gardening at the weekends. As we got more busy at work, we do not have much time to go into the garden and hired a gardener. When we had kids, we really do not have time to enjoy the garden. Brought the kids to the park as more space to cycle, fly kites etc. Then when all kids are in school, sending them to and fro from their various activities/school/tuition etc. we have even less free time. Now the kids are teenagers, we want a place near to the bus stop so that they can go their own way easily. And security so that we can go off overseas without having to worry about the place. Having own garden is no longer a priority. We locate ourselves within less than 5 minutes drive of our country club so that we can play golf, bring the kids swimming/tennis/golf/bowling without having to waste driving/travelling time as our schedules are so packed. Our kids' schools are currently between the North, Central and West regions so we locate ourselves centrally for convenience of everyone. For convenience, at this stage in our lives, we prefer a condo and location is of prime importance to get to and fro from the various places that we/our kids have to go to.

land118
17-05-11, 20:39
Will take note n recce :D

Saw this in property guru but listing has expired, the lane is quite wide...

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/3808599/for-sale-jalan-lokam

land118
17-05-11, 20:41
If you are interested in landed, this place is slightly upslope so taking the inside unit is better... think there's currently a unit for sale marketed by ECG or something... saw a huge banner there just over the weekend... but I think it is not along Lokam... its inside so the road might be smaller than 4 car width... viewed a unit there last year but its too close to the main road so a bit noisy so didn't buy... :scared-4:

I think I know which unit u saw last year, think it's the 2nd or 3rd house from main road. Saw that too as I used to visit Aquamarin fish shop near by...

devilplate
17-05-11, 20:58
Saw this in property guru but listing has expired, the lane is quite wide...

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/3808599/for-sale-jalan-lokam
Wow...looks like main rd...

wind30
17-05-11, 21:18
Actually I thought Taikeng Area was quite good in 2009. I actually went to look at some of the units then. But I did not buy in the end as it was too far from my inlaws and parents place.

Previously that area sucks badly in transportation so the prices is not too high yet. But with the KPE and bartley MRT station up and running, it is much better.

chiaberry
17-05-11, 21:44
Windsor Park Road is wide enough for 3 cars (district 20 nr Thomson Plaza).

TheIdler
17-05-11, 21:48
I have young kids so i guess condo is still a better option? Thot landed would be fun for kids coz bigger area...

Where in clementi has nice landed area, u think?

chiaberry
17-05-11, 21:53
I have young kids so i guess condo is still a better option? Thot landed would be fun for kids coz bigger area...

Where in clementi has nice landed area, u think?

For young kids consider Pri 1 registration if you don't already have priority for a good sch. Good for kids to be near sch because then you save a lot of time/travelling.

mantrix
17-05-11, 22:01
One of the factors to take into consideration is your age and family status. When I was younger and without kids, we lived in a landed and I was happy to do gardening at the weekends. As we got more busy at work, we do not have much time to go into the garden and hired a gardener. When we had kids, we really do not have time to enjoy the garden. Brought the kids to the park as more space to cycle, fly kites etc. Then when all kids are in school, sending them to and fro from their various activities/school/tuition etc. we have even less free time. Now the kids are teenagers, we want a place near to the bus stop so that they can go their own way easily. And security so that we can go off overseas without having to worry about the place. Having own garden is no longer a priority. We locate ourselves within less than 5 minutes drive of our country club so that we can play golf, bring the kids swimming/tennis/golf/bowling without having to waste driving/travelling time as our schedules are so packed. Our kids' schools are currently between the North, Central and West regions so we locate ourselves centrally for convenience of everyone. For convenience, at this stage in our lives, we prefer a condo and location is of prime importance to get to and fro from the various places that we/our kids have to go to.

+1

when it comes to maintenance and enjoyment of facilities nothing beats a condo

kingkong1984
17-05-11, 22:02
Different lifestyle. Young families more suited to condo. Multi generation or living with extended family more suited for landed.

Landed so good, why people sell? Really right?

TheIdler
17-05-11, 22:23
For young kids consider Pri 1 registration if you don't already have priority for a good sch. Good for kids to be near sch because then you save a lot of time/travelling.

Good point. Do u think 25min travel time by car is too much? Those with experience can advise what shd be max travel time for pri school?

chiaberry
17-05-11, 22:38
Good point. Do u think 25min travel time by car is too much? Those with experience can advise what shd be max travel time for pri school?

25 mins is reasonable. But 25 mins will not be within 1km. I presume you have an affiliation to get the kids into the sch. It is v. useful to be in a location where the child is able to take public transport home when older (in Upper Primary) in case of having to stay late for CCA or extra classes. Unless you have a non-working spouse to ferry them around or a chauffeur.

ysyap
17-05-11, 22:43
I think I know which unit u saw last year, think it's the 2nd or 3rd house from main road. Saw that too as I used to visit Aquamarin fish shop near by...You are right,... its the fourth house I think and its currently under renovation... :D

ysyap
17-05-11, 22:48
25 mins is reasonable. But 25 mins will not be within 1km. I presume you have an affiliation to get the kids into the sch. It is v. useful to be in a location where the child is able to take public transport home when older (in Upper Primary) in case of having to stay late for CCA or extra classes. Unless you have a non-working spouse to ferry them around or a chauffeur.But the sickening thing is the pri school of choice is located where all houses are either landed (not my preferred choice) or around condos which are pretty expensive. :doh:

teddybear
17-05-11, 23:11
Cannot say like that lah - Good primary schools like Ai Tong, Pei Chun, Rosynth, CHIJ St Nicholas etc all in heartland areas. :cheers1:

But the sickening thing is the pri school of choice is located where all houses are either landed (not my preferred choice) or around condos which are pretty expensive. :doh:

ysyap
17-05-11, 23:17
Cannot say like that lah - Good primary schools like Ai Tong, Pei Chun, Rosynth, CHIJ St Nicholas etc all in heartland areas. :cheers1:But don't even bother to buy a house near these schools... Even if you staying in school canteen also don't have chance to get in... Heard of so many stories of kiasu parents spending tonnes of money to buy near Rosyth pri but only to fail in their feeble attempts. All places taken up by phase 2A. No chance whatsoever... :doh:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 07:30
But don't even bother to buy a house near these schools... Even if you staying in school canteen also don't have chance to get in... Heard of so many stories of kiasu parents spending tonnes of money to buy near Rosyth pri but only to fail in their feeble attempts. All places taken up by phase 2A. No chance whatsoever... :doh:

Can try for Phase 2B. Parent volunteer or clan/church association.

You're right. It's a big headache. Some parents RENT a place near the schools for the required period just for the purpose of registration (rather than purchasing).

For boys, the safest bet to ensure that the system caters to all abilities of the child is ACS. Because even if the boy has below average scores, he can stay in the ACS family of schools (ACS Barker Road Secondary school has Normal stream). Other popular schools either have no secondary sch (eg Rosyth, Ai Tong) or else the cut-off for proceeding to the sec sch prevents those with lower PSLE scores to continue in the affiliated sec sch.

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 08:40
It is a worthwhile home investment for such school as your children, grand children and great grand children can benefit from your investment as such school will usually be around for a long long time due to strong and influential alumni. I know some parents pay private bus fare of $200-300/mth to ferry their children to school and have to wake up so early or come back so late. Bus fare will only go up.
But the sickening thing is the pri school of choice is located where all houses are either landed (not my preferred choice) or around condos which are pretty expensive. :doh:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 09:03
It is a worthwhile home investment for such school as your children, grand children and great grand children can benefit from your investment as such school will usually be around for a long long time due to strong and influential alumni. I know some parents pay private bus fare of $200-300/mth to ferry their children to school and have to wake up so early or come back so late. Bus fare will only go up.

Sch bus fare for younger son in ACSJ is $130 per month (2 ways) plus $7 each trip for CCA. For older son in ACSI is $110 (1 way). I consider it very reasonable expenditure as you don't have to spend yr time in the morning queuing up to drop them off in the sch compound (Q can be v. long) and somemore you can go on holidays in peace without having to arrange how to get them to sch.

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 09:10
$130 is value for $.
Sch bus fare for younger son in ACSJ is $130 per month (2 ways) plus $7 each trip for CCA. For older son in ACSI is $110 (1 way). I consider it very reasonable expenditure as you don't have to spend yr time in the morning queuing up to drop them off in the sch compound (Q can be v. long) and somemore you can go on holidays in peace without having to arrange how to get them to sch.

chiaberry
18-05-11, 09:15
$130 is value for $.

It only recently went up. It was $110 for many many years (when older son was in Pri sch).

The CCA pick up is GREAT. Any time he needs to stay back (for CCA or extra classes, I don't have to worry about picking him up. And in lower primary I am not too happy for him to take the public bus yet.

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 09:23
My children took school bus when they are in lower primary. Now they are old enough to walk to school with my maid if they want to. Otherwise, they can just take a bus, just few stops away. Just want them to immerse into the society and not brought up with a silver spoon.
It only recently went up. It was $110 for many many years (when older son was in Pri sch).

The CCA pick up is GREAT. Any time he needs to stay back (for CCA or extra classes, I don't have to worry about picking him up. And in lower primary I am not too happy for him to take the public bus yet.

chiaberry
18-05-11, 09:31
My children took school bus when they are in lower primary. Now they are old enough to walk to school with my maid if they want to. Otherwise, they can just take a bus, just few stops away. Just want them to immerse into the society and not brought up with a silver spoon.

Yep that emphasizes how useful it is to have sch which is near yr house. For our boys, the sch is not walking distance (20 to 30 mins by car in good traffic conditions). We sent the girl to Ai Tong (within 1 to 2 km range of home). Sent the boys to ACS because of the affiliated sec schs.

School is an important consideration when choosing the site of yr home when you have a young family.

devilplate
18-05-11, 09:34
Yep that emphasizes how useful it is to have sch which is near yr house. For our boys, the sch is not walking distance (20 to 30 mins by car in good traffic conditions). We sent the girl to Ai Tong (within 1 to 2 km range of home). Sent the boys to ACS because of the affiliated sec schs.

School is an important consideration when choosing the site of yr home when you have a young family.

neighbourhood schools no gd?

chiaberry
18-05-11, 09:45
neighbourhood schools no gd?

My "neighbourhood" sch is Ai Tong (closest one by far).

There are some good neighbourhood schs. Depends on where you stay.

devilplate
18-05-11, 09:48
My "neighbourhood" sch is Ai Tong (closest one by far).

There are some good neighbourhood schs. Depends on where you stay.

above average school will do rite?

nowadays still got gangsters in lousy schools? last time got SS ....now still got anot ar?

proud owner
18-05-11, 09:54

nowadays still got gangsters in lousy schools? last time got SS ....now still got anot ar?

no doubt ...the so called 'good schools' have better equipment and facilities ..

but how well a student performs in school ... depends not on just these ..

if one is born stupid ... being in good school will not do him any good at all

if one is born smart ... being in a ave neighbour school ..coupled with proper upbringing at home .. he can be top student and still do very well in life ..

so yes .. i dont agree fully that one has to be in 'good school' to do well..

chiaberry
18-05-11, 09:54

Agreed. But parents will go to all lengths to get their child into a "branded" sch. For my boys, no need. Phase 2A (parent alumnus). Girl went to the "neighbourhood" sch (within 2km).

If I had no affiliations to get my kids into sch, I would be OK with above average neighbourhood sch. But that is not the case with many parents.

devilplate
18-05-11, 09:57
Agreed. But parents will go to all lengths to get their child into a "branded" sch. For my boys, no need. Phase 2A (parent alumnus). Girl went to the "neighbourhood" sch (within 2km).

If I had no affiliations to get my kids into sch, I would be OK with above average neighbourhood sch. But that is not the case with many parents.

ya lor....

i see some parents overleverage n slog for mthly installments just to be near to gd schools....

by the way, nowadays still got secret society? gangsters? still got rite? now they use chopper to slash instead of penknife liao:scared-3:

ysyap
18-05-11, 09:59
My preference if there's no branded school to go to, is to put my kids in a average school but must be near my parents who can help with childcare arrangement when both parents are working... just got a condo in TPL's GRC in order to facilitate pri 1 registration... sigh!!!

ysyap
18-05-11, 10:00
ya lor....

i see some parents overleverage n slog for mthly installments just to be near to gd schools....

by the way, nowadays still got secret society? gangsters? still got rite? now they use chopper to slash instead of penknife liao:scared-3:That is so so true... i know of students who bring pen knife to school... also have switchblades and stuff to show off... :doh:

TheIdler
18-05-11, 10:39
My preference if there's no branded school to go to, is to put my kids in a average school but must be near my parents who can help with childcare arrangement when both parents are working... just got a condo in TPL's GRC in order to facilitate pri 1 registration... sigh!!!

Many schools in that GRC are SAP and super difficult to get in!

TheIdler
18-05-11, 10:44
25 mins is reasonable. But 25 mins will not be within 1km. I presume you have an affiliation to get the kids into the sch. It is v. useful to be in a location where the child is able to take public transport home when older (in Upper Primary) in case of having to stay late for CCA or extra classes. Unless you have a non-working spouse to ferry them around or a chauffeur.

Yes just found out we hv affiliation... But current place more than 20km away, driving via expressway will take abt 25min. One of us will be the chauffeur. My spouse is thinking of getting a place nearer the school but those within reasonable walking distance are old condos/ big old landed (ie expensive):banghead:

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:08
Many schools in that GRC are SAP and super difficult to get in!That's why have to do parent volunteer lor.. sigh! There goes our sats for couple of weekends... :doh: The extend kiasu parents will go for their children... Getting the first one in would definitely go a long long way to ensure entry for the subsequent kids... hahaha!!! Investment mentality... :D

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:09
That's why have to do parent volunteer lor.. sigh! There goes our sats for couple of weekends... :doh: The extend kiasu parents will go for their children... Getting the first one in would definitely go a long long way to ensure entry for the subsequent kids... hahaha!!! Investment mentality... :D

haha

bopian...kiasu, kiasi, kiabo:D

chiaberry
18-05-11, 11:11
Yes just found out we hv affiliation... But current place more than 20km away, driving via expressway will take abt 25min. One of us will be the chauffeur. My spouse is thinking of getting a place nearer the school but those within reasonable walking distance are old condos/ big old landed (ie expensive):banghead:

Phase 2A is quite safe. Phase 2B might not be safe in some schs (might still need to ballot if you don't stay within 1km).

Did you try driving to the sch under real conditions (ie weekday during sch term at the time for going to sch). Driving via expressway doesn't sound too promising. Maybe you can consider moving closer (not within walking distance but within a comfortable bus ride distance (less than 10 stops).

chiaberry
18-05-11, 11:12
:D
haha

bopian...kiasu, kiasi, kiabo:D

devil you don't have kids yet? Wait till you have kids then you will understand. If you are not kiasu/kiasi/kiabo, your spouse might be. :D

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:16
:D

devil you don't have kids yet? Wait till you have kids then you will understand. If you are not kiasu/kiasi/kiabo, your spouse might be. :D

mabe bcoz i come from lousy schools....so less kiasu,kiabo.....but still kiasi la:p

but i goto say, gd pri schools is a must if gunning for scholarships later on

pri sch within walking distance better lor....jus let ur kids walk to sch.....make sure they carry their own bags hor....if not grow up liao let maid carry their army bag:p

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:20
mabe bcoz i come from lousy schools....so less kiasu,kiabo.....but still kiasi la:p

pri sch within walking distance better lor....jus let ur kids walk to sch.....make sure they carry their own bags hor....if not grow up liao let maid carry their army bag:pSome parents want to send kids to their own schools but the school already not around... so is your lousy school still around??? :D

chiaberry
18-05-11, 11:21

haha judging from this forum, a lot of you guys are well off enough to purchase (multiple) properties and yet come from non-branded schs so are living proof that is not necessary to go to branded schs to do well financially. Yet many are still gunning for branded pri schs for the kids? To extent of parent volunteering, moving house, etc etc

Gd pri schs not only for scholarships. If they have affiliated sec schools, you will have an easier time to get them into a sec sch because the required score for PSLE to get into the affiliated sec sch is significantly less than if you apply from a neighbourhood sch. So you and yr child have a bit less stress when the dreaded PSLE comes along.

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:24
Some parents want to send kids to their own schools but the school already not around... so is your lousy school still around??? :D

i moved smwhr else oredi....heard old sch closed....haha
but my lousy sec sch still ard! gangster alot last time...i tink now still alot there:hell-hath-no-fury:

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:27
but my lousy sec sch still ard! gangster alot last time...i tink now still alot there:hell-hath-no-fury:Every school, even branded school have gangsters lah... :D

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:27
Gd pri schs not only for scholarships. If they have affiliated sec schools, you will have an easier time to get them into a sec sch because the required score for PSLE to get into the affiliated sec sch is significantly less than if you apply from a neighbourhood sch. So you and yr child have a bit less stress when the dreaded PSLE comes along.

but if let say ur kid PSLE grades r bad and still get into gd sec sch....wun he be left behind and feel even more stressful later on? goto compete wif kids wif better grades?

gn108
18-05-11, 11:30
you missed the point ...it's not all about the kids...:scared-5:

but if let say ur kid PSLE grades r bad and still get into gd sec sch....wun he be left behind and feel even more stressful later on? goto compete wif kids wif better grades?

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:32
you missed the point ...it's not all about the kids...:scared-5:

wat did i missed?

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:34
but if let say ur kid PSLE grades r bad and still get into gd sec sch....wun he be left behind and feel even more stressful later on? goto compete wif kids wif better grades?I've seen kids who struggled like crazy coz peers and classmates all doing very well in good school. I've also seen kids taking it easy and doing very well in 'not so good' schools and still get scholarships...
I chose an average school and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion.. :D

gn108
18-05-11, 11:37
Parent's Networking...

wat did i missed?

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:37
I've seen kids who struggled like crazy coz peers and classmates all doing very well in good school. I've also seen kids taking it easy and doing very well in 'not so good' schools and still get scholarships...
I chose an average JC and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion.. :D

i went to above average JC for 1st 3mths and cannot tahan the peers there n decide to goto poly instead....nvr regret it.....can keep long hairs, jeans to sch....etc:spliff:

tat stupid JC, students damn kiasu, kiabo....dun share homework at all! all damn selfish and self centered.....my sec sch days, all fren fren share share our homework n willing to teach/help one another:D

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:39
Parent's Networking...

oh ya, especially true for biz owners.....goto join countryclubs too:D

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:40
i went to above average JC for 1st 3mths and cannot tahan the peers there n decide to goto poly instead....nvr regret it.....can keep long hairs, jeans to sch....etc:spliff:

tat stupid JC, students damn kiasu, kiabo....dun share homework at all! all damn selfish and self centered.....my sec sch days, all fren fren share share our homework n willing to teach/help one another:DHow to kiabo??? not yet lah...

Anyway agree that friends in average schools more helpful to share share... so don't need to do h/w, just go school earlier to share share ... hahaha!!!

gn108
18-05-11, 11:43
I agree...
Should customise for the child...not every kid is academically bright and driven.

I've seen kids who struggled like crazy coz peers and classmates all doing very well in good school. I've also seen kids taking it easy and doing very well in 'not so good' schools and still get scholarships...
I chose an average school and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion.. :D

ysyap
18-05-11, 11:47
I agree...
Should customise for the child...not every kid is academically bright and driven.Parents must therefore play an active role in attending Parents teachers meeting (PTM) and understand the profile of their kids so as to make the most informed decision when it comes to sec or JC school selection... also a difficult decision but its always unavoidable... sigh!!! :scared-4:

devilplate
18-05-11, 11:49
Parents must therefore play an active role in attending Parents teachers meeting (PTM) and understand the profile of their kids so as to make the most informed decision when it comes to sec or JC school selection... also a difficult decision but its always unavoidable... sigh!!! :scared-4:

just choose a decent pri sch for ur kid will do la....later on let them decide wat they want:D

they hf to be independent mah.....angmor oredi laughing at us....say we live in a capsule:mad:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 11:55

Some kids are late developers (esp boys). Even if they don't perform well at PSLE, they can buck up at Sec Sch and do really well. You need to give yr kid the benefit of the doubt and more time to develop. SG sch system doesn't allow them time to develop and many kids at PSLE are still immature. Therefore being relegated to a "lousier" sch might not allow them to develop to their potential. There will be a lot of peer pressure at Sec Sch. Being in a class with better students gives them some motivation to do better. As long as the rest of the sch is not so greatly above the level of yr child that he gets left behind/demotivated. You have to gauge the ability of yr child on a case by case basis. If you think that your child is very much below the general standard of the affiliated sch, you still have the option to transfer them to a neighbourhood sch. But if he is only a little bit below the general standard of the rest of the sch, I think he/she shd still be given the opportunity to be put together with "better" students to see if he/she can make it.

Please be mindful that in Sec Sch, Mother Tongue does not have as high a weightage as in Pri Sch. If your kids PSLE scores were dragged down by weak Mother Tongue but he/she is strong in other subjects, he/she still has a good chance of doing well in Sec Sch as Mother Tongue will only be one out of 8 or 9 subjects whereas in Pri Sch it is one out of 4 subjects. It makes a significant difference.

If your kid is very smart, then neighbourhood sch or branded sch, he/she will do well. You will have no worries. Being in a sch with affiliated Sec Sch gives you more choices for those "borderline" kids, not so poor and not so bright, so that they can still go to a "good" Sec Sch and be given a chance to improve/develop and mature.

gn108
18-05-11, 12:00
Parent choosing the Primary School unavoidable for most but still can judge the child during K1, K2 to a certain extent.

Work Ethic (motivation), School Brand (peers) and Academic results (Aptitude) all play a part. Speak to the child is best by the time they hit P6...bring them to the short-listed sec schools is also good and then let them co-own the decision with some guidance...and let them be kids for whatever time they have!

just choose a decent pri sch for ur kid will do la....later on let them decide wat they want:D

they hf to be independent mah.....angmor oredi laughing at us....say we live in a capsule:mad:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 12:00

Ang more just as kiasu as us. Only they don't make so much noise abt it. So says my friends in UK and Australia. Seems they are just as kiasu/kiasi as we are. In UK they are also fighting to buy property near to good schs. Yes you are living in a capsule if you think that we are so different from other countries.

devilplate
18-05-11, 12:06
Ang more just as kiasu as us. Only they don't make so much noise abt it. So says my friends in UK and Australia. Seems they are just as kiasu/kiasi as we are. In UK they are also fighting to buy property near to good schs. Yes you are living in a capsule if you think that we are so different from other countries.

depends on ur frens bah....my frens not like dat in europe leh

subjective rite?

hardly hear angmor put kids into tuition classes etc...in europe, kids scored above 60...parents will encourage n say well done...but for asian family, its totally diff

i tink u really living in ur own capsule:scared-3:

devilplate
18-05-11, 12:13
jialat lah! no wonder i really feel smthing is very wrong after gg thru this GE......see the comments posted by the ynger generations....OMG:doh:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 12:18
depends on ur frens bah....my frens not like dat in europe leh

subjective rite?

hardly hear angmor put kids into tuition classes etc...in europe, kids scored above 60...parents will encourage n say well done...but for asian family, its totally diff

i tink u really living in ur own capsule:scared-3:

My friends in Australia (Perth) tell me that even for those in private sch will still send their kids for private tuition. I was suprised. I am just telling you not to assume that all ang mors are the same. There are some who are just as kiasu/kiasi as Singaporeans.

When I travelled to London, I saw banners for Kumon enrichment classes on the street of a suburb there.

devilplate
18-05-11, 12:22
My friends in Australia (Perth) tell me that even for those in private sch will still send their kids for private tuition. I was suprised. I am just telling you not to assume that all ang mors are the same. There are some who are just as kiasu/kiasi as Singaporeans.

nvm la...u can continue to be kiasu/kiabo la....and continue to pick examples tat makes u feel u r normal:D

ysyap
18-05-11, 12:34
Its always better to be kiasu than to lose everything in the end... hahaha!!! so demonstrated by our lovely govt in all their policies... :D

TheIdler
18-05-11, 12:35
That's why have to do parent volunteer lor.. sigh! There goes our sats for couple of weekends... :doh: The extend kiasu parents will go for their children... Getting the first one in would definitely go a long long way to ensure entry for the subsequent kids... hahaha!!! Investment mentality... :D

Good luck! Heard for some even had to ballot <1km under phase 2b

TheIdler
18-05-11, 12:54
Phase 2A is quite safe. Phase 2B might not be safe in some schs (might still need to ballot if you don't stay within 1km).

Did you try driving to the sch under real conditions (ie weekday during sch term at the time for going to sch). Driving via expressway doesn't sound too promising. Maybe you can consider moving closer (not within walking distance but within a comfortable bus ride distance (less than 10 stops).

Hee hee, have not manage to wake up so early so only test-run after school at noon. But yes, we r considering moving nearer

ysyap
18-05-11, 13:18
Actually moving closer to a place near your kid's primary school is good coz its for 6 years... SSD will be over by then and can decide the next move when child is pri 5 or something... :)

devilplate
18-05-11, 13:24
Actually moving closer to a place near your kid's primary school is good coz its for 6 years... SSD will be over by then and can decide the next move when child is pri 5 or something... :)

kids r treated like prince and princess now....hehe;)

ysyap
18-05-11, 13:29
kids r treated like prince and princess now....hehe;)But some parents are merely using kids to treat themselves like kings and queens... :D

tericia
18-05-11, 13:30
i agree. i chose affliated school cuz i scared my kid "borderline". So it may be true neighbourhood schools have better students cuz the parents know that there is not "safety net". Either they do well and go to a good school, or they don't.

Whereas for people like me, i literally scraped through my affliated schools all the way until uni.

Some kids are late developers (esp boys). Even if they don't perform well at PSLE, they can buck up at Sec Sch and do really well. You need to give yr kid the benefit of the doubt and more time to develop. SG sch system doesn't allow them time to develop and many kids at PSLE are still immature. Therefore being relegated to a "lousier" sch might not allow them to develop to their potential. There will be a lot of peer pressure at Sec Sch. Being in a class with better students gives them some motivation to do better. As long as the rest of the sch is not so greatly above the level of yr child that he gets left behind/demotivated. You have to gauge the ability of yr child on a case by case basis. If you think that your child is very much below the general standard of the affiliated sch, you still have the option to transfer them to a neighbourhood sch. But if he is only a little bit below the general standard of the rest of the sch, I think he/she shd still be given the opportunity to be put together with "better" students to see if he/she can make it.

Please be mindful that in Sec Sch, Mother Tongue does not have as high a weightage as in Pri Sch. If your kids PSLE scores were dragged down by weak Mother Tongue but he/she is strong in other subjects, he/she still has a good chance of doing well in Sec Sch as Mother Tongue will only be one out of 8 or 9 subjects whereas in Pri Sch it is one out of 4 subjects. It makes a significant difference.

If your kid is very smart, then neighbourhood sch or branded sch, he/she will do well. You will have no worries. Being in a sch with affiliated Sec Sch gives you more choices for those "borderline" kids, not so poor and not so bright, so that they can still go to a "good" Sec Sch and be given a chance to improve/develop and mature.

devilplate
18-05-11, 13:30
But some parents are merely using kids to treat themselves like kings and queens... :D

for those using them for networking purposes?

DC33_2008
18-05-11, 13:55
Safer to go to school that's more than 70yrs.Ty
but my lousy sec sch still ard! gangster alot last time...i tink now still alot there:hell-hath-no-fury:

chiaberry
18-05-11, 15:24
Hee hee, have not manage to wake up so early so only test-run after school at noon. But yes, we r considering moving nearer

heehee you will be making the trip every week day for 6 years rain or shine (except fo sch holidays). So if you drive fr home to sch and back, one of you will have burned one hour or more of yr time per trip. And for the trip home, I did try to fetch the kid from sch to home for the first boy. I gave up after 2 weeks. The Q to get to the pick-up point was :scared-1: I signed him up for sch bus both ways.

ysyap
18-05-11, 15:50
heehee you will be making the trip every week day for 6 years rain or shine (except fo sch holidays). So if you drive fr home to sch and back, one of you will have burned one hour or more of yr time per trip. And for the trip home, I did try to fetch the kid from sch to home for the first boy. I gave up after 2 weeks. The Q to get to the pick-up point was :scared-1: I signed him up for sch bus both ways.Best is stay near enough to walk to sch.... save the headache on driving and even being on time for sch bus...:p

bryann
10-06-11, 12:35
Funny how this thread's topic gradually morphed from creepy crawlies to rug rats :)

I lived in Europe for 20-something years and in Singapore for 11 years. You can't help but generalize a bit, but on the whole I reckon here in Singapore, parents put their kids through tuition classes more than in the west.

I remember having to go through private after-school classes myself, but that was because I was a slow-poke learner. Kids that are average or above average usually aren't put through private tuition, except by ultra-driven parents. (What you guys call kiasu :-))

The main difference is that there is less of a do-or-die accent on academic performance; in the west personal development, creative thinking, out-of-the-box problem-solving skills and being able to stand your ground, are all considered as important as academic scores. Hence the many extra-curricular activities.

It's probably a cultural thing, not sure, but I think the two schools of thought (excuse the pun) will probably converge more and more as time passes.

bricksnmortar
11-07-11, 11:48
Hey Bryann,

can you tell me where your landed property was?

I spent 4 years in a landed place and lived in a low-floor condo and a high-floor condo. The high-floor condo hardly had any pests; no roaches, no mozzies, no ants, no wasps and no cicaks.

Now I'm in a low floor, I get plenty of creepie-crawlies, although luckily my cickcak sentries are depleting stocks nicely :)

Our landed place was something else entirely. It was like a veritable zoo. We got regular fauna guests in the form of huge spiders, roaches galore, snakes, rats, wasps, centipedes, ants with stingers, you name it. One day we even had a bat flying around the room that couldn't find its way out.

So, yeah, landed can get a bit of a wilderness, unless you manicure the lawn and trim the hedges.

Still, never a dull moment eh :)