PDA

View Full Version : Qns on Strata Cluster housing

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 14:41
Just visited GreenWood Cluster housing. Quiet nicely renovated. Was wondering why its psf price seems lower than most new condos. Issit becaused of quantum?

GreenWood is priced ard $1000-$1100 psf along bukit timah road.

bargain hunter
18-05-11, 15:31
103 year leasehold and the freehold title land owner is FEO. you are at their mercy if you buy coz it is likely that only they will en-bloc this project in future. >$3m quantum for non freehold landed/clustered is also a challenge.

in contrast, the landed housing outside developed by them (ie the 3 storey, relatively new greenwood terraces) were sold freehold.

Just visited GreenWood Cluster housing. Quiet nicely renovated. Was wondering why its psf price seems lower than most new condos. Issit becaused of quantum?

GreenWood is priced ard $1000-$1100 psf along bukit timah road.

ysyap
18-05-11, 15:38

GreenWood is priced ard $1000-$1100 psf along bukit timah road.CLuster housing adopts a slightly different psf from a regular condo because of many factors and here are two main factors.
1. build up area is usually above 3000 sqft. This is much larger than a regular condo and even larger than a penthouse so psf is reduced with increased land area.
2. cluster houses are more vertical than it is horizontal therefore much of those area is used on staircases so psf is calculated as lower. This cannot be compared to a 2 or 3 storey landed because for cluster houses, owners do not own the land, like a condo...

Fleur
18-05-11, 18:54
CLuster housing adopts a slightly different psf from a regular condo because of many factors and here are two main factors.
1. build up area is usually above 3000 sqft. This is much larger than a regular condo and even larger than a penthouse so psf is reduced with increased land area.
2. cluster houses are more vertical than it is horizontal therefore much of those area is used on staircases so psf is calculated as lower. This cannot be compared to a 2 or 3 storey landed because for cluster houses, owners do not own the land, like a condo...

Good analysis, thanks. For those who value space, I think cluster houses provide a good niche between landed and condo. More space for almost the same quantum for a 4-bedder condo and above.

ysyap
18-05-11, 19:15
Good analysis, thanks. For those who value space, I think cluster houses provide a good niche between landed and condo. More space for almost the same quantum for a 4-bedder condo and above.Hmm... more accurate to say ... price of a 4 bedder in RCR is the price of a cluster house in OCR...

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 20:19
Thanks Bargain Hunter n ysyap for the insightful analysis. After seeing tons of MM and 2bedroom @700 sqft. Looking at such quantum house is really shiok.

devilplate
18-05-11, 21:03
Thanks Bargain Hunter n ysyap for the insightful analysis. After seeing tons of MM and 2bedroom @700 sqft. Looking at such quantum house is really shiok.
U looking to buy or jus window shop?

sh
18-05-11, 21:21
cluster houses has the worst proportion of built-in living space to strata area. Ask for the built-in area and you'll see what i mean.

The strata area includes, carpark, roof top, PES on top of the usual ac ledge and bay windows. In some projects, even the void above your PES is also counted.

That's why psf price is low:(

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 21:25
U looking to buy or jus window shop?

window shopping ard to understand the market better. Asking myself y the big difference between condo n strata. Wondering if its only the size thus the psf difference?

kingkong1984
18-05-11, 21:26
For those who knows, single level penthouses are way way better. Need a car park lot? Go pay for real landed lah.

ysyap
18-05-11, 21:28
Just a few points on cluster house living...
Minus:
1. It is vertically challenging so if you have old folks living, not wise to buy it or those older folks just stay in the guest room or maid's room at basement.
2. When you forget something while at the car, you won't feel like walking up 3 storeys just to retrieve your stuff.

Plus:
3. Can have up to 5 bedrooms so very good to have various functional rooms like bar and relaxation room, karaoke room, kid's play room, etc.
4. Carpark lots are designated and usually it comes in pair, unlike condo (only 1 lot per unit and not designated)

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 21:29
cluster houses has the worst proportion of built-in living space to strata area. Ask for the built-in area and you'll see what i mean.

The strata area includes, carpark, roof top, PES on top of the usual ac ledge and bay windows. In some projects, even the void above your PES is also counted.

That's why psf price is low:(
thanks for the clarification. Now that you have mention, although its big, it doesnt feel as shiok as a unit in reflections in the region of same size. Maybe cos its spread over 3 floors.

devilplate
18-05-11, 21:36
thanks for the clarification. Now that you have mention, although its big, it doesnt feel as shiok as a unit in reflections in the region of same size. Maybe cos its spread over 3 floors.
I tink better buy 999/fh cluster housing....those who wants the best of both worlds of having landed n condo living will go for this;)

I m one who will not consider 99lh cluster hse or landed.

sh
18-05-11, 21:37
yeah... landed for beginners:D

kingkong1984
18-05-11, 21:42
I tink better buy 999/fh cluster housing....those who wants the best of both worlds of having landed n condo living will go for this;)

I m one who will not consider 99lh cluster hse or landed.

Cluster housing is a in between for landed with facilities.

For landed, go only for FH, for condo, go for location.

Combine two, FH should remain and should also keep condo attributes.

If not possible, just go for condo.

ysyap
18-05-11, 21:47
Cluster housing is a in between for landed with facilities.

For landed, go only for FH, for condo, go for location.

Combine two, FH should remain and should also keep condo attributes.

If not possible, just go for condo.If for investment, go for cluster also... amazing yield. You buy a cluster for say $2m and can rent out at $8k. You buy condo at $1m can hardly rent out at $4k. :D Cluster houses appeals tremendously to FT who bring their whole family here... :spliff:

kingkong1984
18-05-11, 21:51
If for investment, go for cluster also... amazing yield. You buy a cluster for say $2m and can rent out at $8k. You buy condo at $1m can hardly rent out at $4k. :D Cluster houses appeals tremendously to FT who bring their whole family here... :spliff:
Really? It depends on location right?

Dalla vale FH cluster, poor sale and poor take up for rental. How?

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 22:31

Dalla vale FH cluster, poor sale and poor take up for rental. How?

The FEO salesman say the 3k sqft strata housing can rent for ard 13k. i say sure or not....He ask wanna or not, can buy a unit with tenancy agreement. price ard 3.1-3.2m , rental 13k....

kingkong1984
18-05-11, 22:33
The FEO salesman say the 3k sqft strata housing can rent for ard 13k. i say sure or not....He ask wanna or not, can buy a unit with tenancy agreement. price ard 3.1-3.2m , rental 13k....
A joke right?

U r paying for your own lease. Maintenance will kill u.

ysyap
18-05-11, 22:35

Dalla vale FH cluster, poor sale and poor take up for rental. How?Well i guess location does play a role but generally cluster houses have really good rental yields... even ulu places also commanding $7k rental... :eek:

devilplate
18-05-11, 22:36
Reality bites when tenancy expires:D

DaytonaSS
18-05-11, 22:50
A joke right?

U r paying for your own lease. Maintenance will kill u.

oh and monthly maintenance is $750.......

CCR
18-05-11, 23:01
yeah... landed for beginners:D

Why is landed for beginners?

Fleur
19-05-11, 01:16

Cos quantum and psf are lower.

bargain hunter
19-05-11, 01:22
:jaw-dropping: i have been saying this and will continue to say it. i think a lot of pple are underestimating the monthly maintenence and the fact that it can only go up over the years. :ashamed1:

oh and monthly maintenance is $750.......

bargain hunter
19-05-11, 01:24
the hillcrest villa outside got problems commanding 10k wor. 13k sure or not? hillcrest villa is more convenient but less exclusive so i dunno how to compare between the 2.

newbie11
19-05-11, 01:32
teneriffe at 6th ave can fetch 9-10k rental. if buy, i think 2.5m.

proud owner
19-05-11, 02:56
For those who knows, single level penthouses are way way better. Need a car park lot? Go pay for real landed lah.

Totally agree

Be it fH or LH. Wont buy clustered

They were invented for those who wants to stay in landed but Not allowed to buy landed.

To give you the size of a landed house, on a tiny plot, they build up to 5 storeys.

I have not come across any house that as I climb higher up, it gets hotter n hotter. Only in clustered housing.

So it's off for me.

devilplate
19-05-11, 09:14
Totally agree

Be it fH or LH. Wont buy clustered

They were invented for those who wants to stay in landed but Not allowed to buy landed.

To give you the size of a landed house, on a tiny plot, they build up to 5 storeys.

I have not come across any house that as I climb higher up, it gets hotter n hotter. Only in clustered housing.

So it's off for me.

up to 5 storeys meh? tot 3.5storeys nia:confused:

i tink cluster housing got lots of windows....in a hot sunny day, the whole hse become a green house:D

newbie11
19-05-11, 09:24
hot, high, narrow, lots of wasted space.. cant think of anything gd esp those cluster w/o facilities!

devilplate
19-05-11, 09:26
hot, high, narrow, lots of wasted space.. cant think of anything gd esp those cluster w/o facilities!

haha....yeah....will cluster housing drop price ar? i am eyeing verdana villas....30% discount possible?:rolleyes:

ysyap
19-05-11, 14:06

i tink cluster housing got lots of windows....in a hot sunny day, the whole hse become a green house:D3.5 storeys excludes basement. 5 storeys considersthe attic as one storey.... :D

ysyap
19-05-11, 14:07
haha....yeah....will cluster housing drop price ar? i am eyeing verdana villas....30% discount possible?:rolleyes:Prices will not come down 30% unless stock market crash or something like 1929 happens again...

proud owner
19-05-11, 14:11

i tink cluster housing got lots of windows....in a hot sunny day, the whole hse become a green house:D

if add bsaement and roof terrace ..5 storey

to me very unlucky kind of housing

where your main entrance is actually the basement ..from car park ..
if walk ..go in by kitchen or front which is the pool ..

silly ...

if u think verdana is nice ..
take a look at Chuville ...pasir panjang ... the lay out is much better ... max 3 floors , ground level parking and no basement

proper-t
19-05-11, 14:15
Won't touch cluster housing...no offence to cluster owners but to me its just a glorified low rise ground floor condo living.

Firstly, gotta pay maintenance for common facilities.
Secondly, can't suka suka change the GFA, facade or outer appearrance to your liking.
Thirdly, the proximity between units are allowed to be much closer than the 2m clearance from boundary wall in real landed. For some projects, units are so close you can literally spit into the adjacent unit.

ysyap
19-05-11, 14:52
Cluster housing appeals to a specific group of people. It is not everybody's cup of tea... :D

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:37
So much bad comments....so verdana 30%discount possible?:D :spliff2:

devilplate
19-05-11, 15:53
if add bsaement and roof terrace ..5 storey

to me very unlucky kind of housing

where your main entrance is actually the basement ..from car park ..
if walk ..go in by kitchen or front which is the pool ..

silly ...

if u think verdana is nice ..
take a look at Chuville ...pasir panjang ... the lay out is much better ... max 3 floors , ground level parking and no basement
Chuville is a townhse w/o facilities....might as well buy true landed rite? No sellers now too....Near mrt....not bad

ysyap
19-05-11, 16:28
So much bad comments....so verdana 30%discount possible?:D :spliff2:I wish you success on 30% discount... coz if that happens, the entire housing market will be down down down.... huat ah!!! :spliff:

sh
19-05-11, 17:43

aiyah... for people who are not sure about landed... don't want to maintain garden, want condo facilities, but still want to be on ground mah.....:)

kingkong1984
19-05-11, 18:49
aiyah... for people who are not sure about landed... don't want to maintain garden, want condo facilities, but still want to be on ground mah.....:)

where's the garden? on the roof? can see neighbours laundry?

sh
19-05-11, 19:27
the tiny patch in front and behind your "cluttered" houses, called PES... (Patio Extremely Small).... and roof too:(

ysyap
19-05-11, 19:47
the tiny patch in front and behind your "cluttered" houses, called PES... (Patio Extremely Small).... and roof too:(I've seen some cluster houses with pretty huge patio, like that found in a landed backyard... :)